Damaged vaccine card

Ilovesailaway

So my son's vaccine card got wet.... part of the corner is torn. The information on the card is still legible. He loaded the NYS Excelsior Pass that has his VR code for his proof of vaccine. 

Does anyone have experience using a VR code on their phone as proof of vaccination? He will have is vaccination card with him as well.

Call Carnival with that question.  When they say "it'll be fine", jot down name, date, phone number, time of call, etc.  Then be prepared to tell the entire story (what you posted above plus the phone call) to the agent who is checking you in.  If everything is legible, and Carnival told you it'll be fine, and the agent pushes back, ask for a supervisor and calmly go through the entire thing again.  Then remind your son about.. oh you know...

Should be good to go with the Excelsior pass (since you're in NY). They take state issued verification QR codes from states that have a authentication system in place. I'd bring my immunization proof from heath care provider as well (just to be sure) along with the damaged card. You should be GTG. Have a great cruise!  

9 minutes ago, dd likes to cruise said:

In the mean time copy his card on stock paper. You will then have options if it get more damaged. I did that to begin with. The copy is in the wallet, the original is home on the frig.  Also picture of it on our phones. 

I've actually read and seen it listed on the "what's required" that they DO NOT accept copies or photos of originals. Must be original, state verified QR code or a documentation from your medical provider showing vaccine proof (ie immunization record). 

Per Carnival:

Proof of vaccination, as follows, will be required at the terminal in advance of boarding:

• Original vaccination record issued by the country’s health authority that administered the vaccination (i.e., U.S. CDC's Vaccination Record Card). Copies or photos are not accepted.
  • A digital COVID-19 Certificate (QR code acceptable), a record of COVID-19 vaccination from a healthcare provider (original digital email accepted), a personal electronic health record or government Immunization Information System record is also acceptable.
  • The name and birth date on the vaccination record must match the guest’s travel documents and show the guest is fully vaccinated. The vaccination dates must indicate the guest has completed the required doses no later than 14 days prior to the sailing date. This means that on embarkation day, a minimum of 15 days must have passed since the final dose was received. Vaccine type, dates administered, and lot numbers must be clearly visible.

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I've actually read and seen it listed on the "what's required" that they DO NOT accept copies or photos of originals. Must be original, state verified QR code or a documentation from your medical provider showing vaccine proof (ie immunization record). 

Per Carnival:

Proof of vaccination, as follows, will be required at the terminal in advance of boarding:

• Original vaccination record issued by the country’s health authority that administered the vaccination (i.e., U.S. CDC's Vaccination Record Card). Copies or photos are not accepted.
  • A digital COVID-19 Certificate (QR code acceptable), a record of COVID-19 vaccination from a healthcare provider (original digital email accepted), a personal electronic health record or government Immunization Information System record is also acceptable.
  • The name and birth date on the vaccination record must match the guest’s travel documents and show the guest is fully vaccinated. The vaccination dates must indicate the guest has completed the required doses no later than 14 days prior to the sailing date. This means that on embarkation day, a minimum of 15 days must have passed since the final dose was received. Vaccine type, dates administered, and lot numbers must be clearly visible.

will they accept it if it's in your Apple wallet?

Depending on when your cruise is, you can request a new card. For my wife and I it was easy. For my daughter, it is like pulling teeth at the moment. I am going to try again this weekend. If nothing happens, I am walking a few blocks from work to the DHHS office and get one. I wish the entire country was digital with it.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

We were chatting with the person who gave us our booster shots at Smith's (part of the Kroger chain).  He told us that it was good that we went to the same place for all three shots because if we lost our cards, we could come back to the store and they would replace them.  I don't know if that's a common policy or not.

• Like 1

We semi-deliberately got our boosters done at a different store (same chain) than we'd done our first two shots at.  The pharmacist kindly printed us a card with all three shots on it.  Then, going above and beyond, he printed us stickers to add to the original cards.  We now have two complete copies, so I can stop being quite so freaked out about bringing an original with us when we travel.  Our state doesn't have a QR code program, so I was fretting up a storm every time we went anywhere that required official proof.

Obviously, no help to the OP, whose home state hopefully meets the requirements with their QR code program, but it might help some other anxiety ridden souls.

• Like 2

FWIW, Carnival's John Heald travels on planes and the ship without a covid card. John uses a letter with his QR code printed on it when travelling. Any IIS - Immunization Information System with vaccination records and a QR code is acceptable without a paper card per Carnival's protocols page under vaccinations.

6 minutes ago, stellarose said:

should I worry that my son's booster is on a separate card then the original? 

I do not think Carnival and the cruise lines are interested in our boosters at this time.  The protocol requirements only mention the first two shots.   Boosters are not a part of the cruise ship requirements at this time. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 4:30 AM, IntrepidFromDC said:

Call Carnival with that question.  When they say "it'll be fine", jot down name, date, phone number, time of call, etc.  Then be prepared to tell the entire story (what you posted above plus the phone call) to the agent who is checking you in.  If everything is legible, and Carnival told you it'll be fine, and the agent pushes back, ask for a supervisor and calmly go through the entire thing again.  Then remind your son about.. oh you know...

I have the CA Digital Health Pass which works better than the COVID card.

On 11/5/2021 at 9:21 AM, BoozinCroozin said:

Depending on when your cruise is, you can request a new card. For my wife and I it was easy. For my daughter, it is like pulling teeth at the moment. I am going to try again this weekend. If nothing happens, I am walking a few blocks from work to the DHHS office and get one. I wish the entire country was digital with it.

In California we have the Digital QR Code record and you just go to the State Health Department website enter your name ,last name DOB and email address. In minutes you get a PDF file which you can save to your phone .

When I cruised recently they wouldn't accept my card at first because the hospital where I got the second shot neglected to put a sticker showing the location where I got it like they did for the first shot. They let me pull up my vaccination records on my MyChart app and we were good to go. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rudyard said:

When I cruised recently they wouldn't accept my card at first because the hospital where I got the second shot neglected to put a sticker showing the location where I got it like they did for the first shot. They let me pull up my vaccination records on my MyChart app and we were good to go. 

Thanks for sharing. The county health department clinic where I got both injections did not put the lot numbers for either shot on my card. When I called to ask if they would issue a new card with the lot numbers they said they did not do that and to write it in myself. I did find the lot numbers in MyChart and printed a copy of it, but I didn't want to write it in myself because a) I feel like that is altering my card and will make it look suspicious when the ink or writing doesn't match, and b) on BOTH dates they wrote Moderna so big it took both lines so it would not be legible if I squeezed it it. I will make sure to have multiple verifications (print out, MyChart, state QR code) if my card is questioned. 

• Like 1