Flying to USA to cruise from Port Everglades.

Reina del Mar

We are flying from UK to take cruise ex Port Everglades. Need some help regarding Covid Tests, please.

We had planned to spend a few nights in Fort Lauderdale but are finding it difficult to get information about testing. We know we need a pre flight test locally before travel. We have heard CVS stores  offer tests, but are unreliable and do not offer tests for international travellers.

Our travel agent has suggested we test before our flight and arrive evening before cruise when our test will be within 72 hours of cruise, so test would still be valid. 

I appreciate USA not opening to Brits till Monday, but does anyone have any suggestions, please, before we confirm our flights.

Many thanks.

There is a CVS located on the corner of SE 17th ST. and S. Federal Highway. in Ft. Lauderdale. This is close to the port. I would call them and ask. Their number is on their web site. There may be a charge for non U.S. residents. You could also check the web sites for pharmacies near where you are staying. Rite Aid is another pharmacy that offers testing. The hotel where you are staying may have some information. 

Edited by skynight

Princess is supposed to have a near port testing site available for situations like yours.  But I've seen no confirmation that it is up and running yet.  Emerald sails from Ft Lauderdale Nov 6 so I'd expect it to be so by now.  But I wouldn't trust that it.  There is also a $150 cost regardless of insurance coverage.

3 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Princess is supposed to have a near port testing site available for situations like yours.  But I've seen no confirmation that it is up and running yet.  Emerald sails from Ft Lauderdale Nov 6 so I'd expect it to be so by now.  But I wouldn't trust that it.  There is also a $150 cost regardless of insurance coverage.

This seems to be correct.  Per the Princess Web site:

UPDATED: Will you offer COVID-19 testing near the terminal before my cruise?

We strongly recommend all guests take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive test result on the day of embarkation.

We understand that it may be difficult for some of our guests to find testing that can provide results within a 2-day turnaround. Accordingly, for guests who did not receive their test results within 2 days prior to their embarkation, we have mobile testing sites near our embarkation ports to conduct COVID-19 testing the day before, or day of, your cruise departure.

The company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee of $150. Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. Please consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements prior to leaving home.

In accordance with CDC protocols, guests who test positive for COVID-19 on embarkation day will be denied boarding, together with their family members and close contacts, may be required to quarantine shoreside, and may be restricted from commercial air travel. If you, your family members, traveling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19 and are denied boarding, you will be entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

2 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

This seems to be correct.  Per the Princess Web site:

UPDATED: Will you offer COVID-19 testing near the terminal before my cruise?

We strongly recommend all guests take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive test result on the day of embarkation.

We understand that it may be difficult for some of our guests to find testing that can provide results within a 2-day turnaround. Accordingly, for guests who did not receive their test results within 2 days prior to their embarkation, we have mobile testing sites near our embarkation ports to conduct COVID-19 testing the day before, or day of, your cruise departure.

The company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee of $150. Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. Please consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements prior to leaving home.

In accordance with CDC protocols, guests who test positive for COVID-19 on embarkation day will be denied boarding, together with their family members and close contacts, may be required to quarantine shoreside, and may be restricted from commercial air travel. If you, your family members, traveling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19 and are denied boarding, you will be entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

That's been on their FAQ for quite a while.  But the devil is in the details and I've seen none - like where and what times.  We sail Nov 27 which makes our test days Thanksgiving and Black Friday.  We have the Bimax home test that we will try to do in the wee hours of Thanksgiving.  I'll also try to set up tests in Melbourne and Ft Lauderdale.  Ad the Princess site, if it's running, and we have four shots at it.  Surely one of them will work.  😀

1 minute ago, Sn0cruiser said:

Not sure if someone else has said this but please note that your test needs to be taken two days before the cruise not 72 hours.  

Can you purchase proctored home self tests that you can take with you ?

I bought 3 tests online back in September.  Used 1 for familiarization and we'll use the others Thanksgiving Day before driving to Fla for our Nov 27 cruise.  Ours came within a few days but I've seen comments about them being in short supply lately and taking much longer to be delivered.  Also heard that you can buy them at some pharmacies.

4 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

We are flying from UK to take cruise ex Port Everglades. Need some help regarding Covid Tests, please.

We had planned to spend a few nights in Fort Lauderdale but are finding it difficult to get information about testing. We know we need a pre flight test locally before travel. We have heard CVS stores  offer tests, but are unreliable and do not offer tests for international travellers.

Our travel agent has suggested we test before our flight and arrive evening before cruise when our test will be within 72 hours of cruise, so test would still be valid. 

I appreciate USA not opening to Brits till Monday, but does anyone have any suggestions, please, before we confirm our flights.

Many thanks.

You may want to try the Nomi Health testing site at the FLL airport. $59 for the Rapid antigen test, IF you will be arriving 

2 days before the cruise?  It is not

hours, they go by days.  
https://www.broward.org/airport/passengers/flights/advisories/pages/default.aspx

Move down till you see Covid testing Ft Lauderdale airport.  They will email results to you.  It takes about 30 mins for results.  Could be even shorter, some are back in 15 mins.

Depends when your flying in.  Another option would be take hotel shuttle to the airport, if you’re 2 days before or 1 day before…take the test.  IF you’re staying near the airport.  The port & airport are very close.  You uber or use your hotel shuttle, if they offer a shuttle, most do.

Another backup:  Not far from the port.

https://centerforcovidcontro/

Testing Sight:

Center for Covid Control

300 W Sunrise Blvd Unit 8, Fort Lauderdale, FL, 33311

If you click on their website…. it is

free.  Also for International patients.  You just need to bring your passport.  
The sites are listed by city alphabetically,

or use zip 33316

It says you can drive up or walk in

depending on your test.  No appointments, just come in.  So, this will be our backup plan.  

Last resort….at the port the day of sailing.

It would be helpful, if you would say when your landing before the cruise, where your staying, if close to port or airport, etc.

Hope this helps!

Welcome back to America!!!

Tonna

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

You may want to try the Nomi Health testing site at the FLL airport. $59 for the Rapid antigen test, IF you will be arriving 

2 days before the cruise?  It is not

hours, they go by days.  
https://www.broward.org/airport/passengers/flights/advisories/pages/default.aspx

Move down till you see Covid testing Ft Lauderdale airport.  They will email results to you.  It takes about 30 mins for results.  Could be even shorter, some are back in 15 mins.

Depends when your flying in.  Another option would be take hotel shuttle to the airport, if you’re 2 days before or 1 day before…take the test.  IF you’re staying near the airport.  The port & airport are very close.  You uber or use your hotel shuttle, if they offer a shuttle, most do.

Another backup:  Not far from the port.

https://centerforcovidcontro/

Testing Sight:

Center for Covid Control

300 W Sunrise Blvd Unit 8, Fort Lauderdale, FL, 33311

If you click on their website…. it is

free.  Also for International patients.  You just need to bring your passport.  
The sites are listed by city alphabetically,

or use zip 33316

It says you can drive up or walk in

depending on your test.  No appointments, just come in.  So, this will be our backup plan.  

Last resort….at the port the day of sailing.

It would be helpful, if you would say when your landing before the cruise, where your staying, if close to port or airport, etc.

Hope this helps!

Welcome back to America!!!

Tonna

And yes CVS also tests.  Our CVS is great here in Georgia.  Not sure where you heard about problems with testing?  But,

one of our backups will be CVS, either near home or Ft Lauderdale.  
We are planning plenty of backups.  Lol

• Like 1

We are arriving at FLL at 10pm on 31st March, staying at 17th St Causeway, and cruising on 3rd April.

Maybe it would be best to return to the airport for testing.

It was on several Cruises Critic threads we read that CVS cancelled appointments in several places local to the cruise port.

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

2/28/22 Health protocols on PCL website.  

OK, saw that, but was just wondering if that "might change" if/when the current CDC 'guidelines' become 'voluntary ' after 1/15/22 ?

( we're potentially booking a cruise after 1/15, but before 2/28 )

Here's a collection of links to places that do rapid testing in the area that I had saved from another post:

Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)

(Walk-Up)

100 Terminal Dr., Terminal 3

(Lower level near baggage claim)

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315

Daily 7AM -9PM

Proof of travel (cruise documents, boarding pass, paid flight itinerary, airline ticket)

$106 for PCR test (results in 48 hrs.)

$74 for rapid antigen test (results in 30 minutes)

Register by visiting Nomi Health's FLL weblink.

https://testing.nomihealth.com/easy_registration/34/onsite

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing/....

https://labdoctor.org/

https://www.browardmedicalurgentcare.com/

https://physicianscreek.com/covid-19/

Miami airport https://news.miami-airport.com/covid-19-testing-available-daily-at-mia-starting-may-21/

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

OK, saw that, but was just wondering if that "might change" if/when the current CDC 'guidelines' become 'voluntary ' after 1/15/22 ?

( we're potentially booking a cruise after 1/15, but before 2/28 )

I think we’re in this for a while!!

Just watch the PCL website, as they update it frequently.  
I just don’t see it changing anytime soon.

IMHO

• Like 1

As a possible back-up plan, could you consider ordering "home tests" and have them delivered to your hotel with the instructions, "please hold for arrival on **/**/**)"?  (Convert arrival date to U.S. format month/day/year to avoid potential confusion.)  Or maybe contact someone at the hotel directly who would agree to have them sent to their attention and hold them for your arrival?

Approved test kits can be ordered (from the Princess website):

Princess has partnered with Optum so that U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to your door in 3 business days or less. These at-home tests include a personal virtually video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services. These guides will help you properly administer the test and verify the results, within 15 minutes. The lab result report is delivered via email and can be printed or displayed on your mobile device during check-in. Please place your order with enough time to be shipped prior to your boarding. Order your test kit online.

Test kit link to cut and paste in case you cannot access it from above:  https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/?utm_source=carnival&utm_medium=referral&utm_term=&utm_content=2-pack&utm_campaign=travel_ready_covid_test&utm_nooverride=1

5 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Many thanks.

Loks like Nomi Health at FLL airport allows you to register for a test up to 30 days ahead of time.  That’s really good.

https://testing.nomihealth.com/easy_registration/34/onsite

Tonna

I’m from Canada and I’ve been following this topic closely and I’ve been watching Don from Dons family vacations on YouTube and his experience and he has mentioned that it can be a challenge for someone who is no from the USA to get a test in Florida. We have opted to fly in the day before our cruise and use the same test we get in Canada to board the ship. I know if there were specific sites you wanted to see in Fort Lauderdale, you might not want to do that. We’re happy to just have a meal somewhere and maybe pop into a Walgreens to buy a few odds and ends. I’ve heard people say that people in Florida are not wearing masks as militantly as we are here in Ontario and I’m not trying to get infected before I even get to my ship so I’m ok with just passing through.

22 minutes ago, kamelia said:

Princess has partnered with Optum so that U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to your door in 3 business days or less.

Note the bolded part.  OP is coming from the UK.  Most likely this has the same limitations as the Binax proctored test- they won't accept orders from people living outside the US, and/or with CCs  from outside the US. Canadians have been trying to do this for months with no success.

• Haha 1