Exemptions for Covid vaccine

dcloer

Hi all.  I have tried to call carnival but can’t get through.  We will be bringing a 1 year old with us.  Obviously, he is to young for the vaccine and is exempt from pre board testing.  Carnival says they only give so many exemptions for children, but would he need one since he doesn’t qualify for the vaccine yet?  Can children under 2 do excursions?  It’s pretty for clear for older kids but not under 2.  TIA

According to Carnival's website, you need to file for an exemption within 48 hours of booking. 

Have Fun. Be Safe. | COVID-19 Guest Protocols | Carnival Cruise Line

However, there's nothing in the guidelines for under 2 year olds.

But as firefly 333 said, you will have to take a bubble excursion, you can't go off the ship on your own.

Keep trying Carnival.

• Like 1

As I understand it, although he does not qualify for vaccination and will no need to be tested (because of his age), you will still need to request an exemption because he is a breathing human who is not vaccinated.  Also, if you wish to take him off the ship in ports, you will be limited to bubble tours.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

As I understand it, although he does not qualify for vaccination and will no need to be tested (because of his age), you will still need to request an exemption because he is a breathing human who is not vaccinated.  Also, if you wish to take him off the ship in ports, you will be limited to bubble tours.

We just got back from a cruise with a 2 yr old, what everyone is saying is correct. You will need an exemption, if you want to bring the 1yr old off the ship it does have to be a bubble tour (we did afew they arent bad at all) however the big plus to a 1yr old vs 2 yr old is they do not have to get tested (that saves $150) and obviously they wouldn't have to wear a mask. We didnt have a problem getting an exemption and i dont know of anyone about on our sailing that got rejected. With 5-12 year olds approved for the vaccine i doubt you will have any issues getting an exemption. Have fun!

Edited by matymil
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, matymil said:

We just got back from a cruise with a 2 yr old, what everyone is saying is correct. You will need an exemption, if you want to bring the 1yr old off the ship it does have to be a bubble tour (we did afew they arent bad at all) however the big plus to a 1yr old vs 2 yr old is they do not have to get tested (that saves $150) and obviously they wouldn't have to wear a mask. We didnt have a problem getting an exemption and i dont know of anyone about on our sailing that got rejected. With 5-12 year olds approved for the vaccine i doubt you will have any issues getting an exemption. Have fun!

How far in advanced did you request your exemption. We are supposed to sail Monday and haven’t heard. 

56 minutes ago, vizzle said:

How far in advanced did you request your exemption. We are supposed to sail Monday and haven’t heard. 

Oh man! Def reach out to John Heald. He just posted today that if you are havent heard about an exemption request within 7 days to reach out to him and he will look into it immediately. Either him or his assistant answer questions almost around the clock, try FB first hes fast on that. Id call early tomorrow also. We found out 45 days in advance. I have a feeling with them waiting to see if 5-12 year olds could get vaccinated that unfortunately some requests may have fallen through the cracks.  

My cruise isn't until Feb 2022 but did get my exemption approved for our 2 year old daughter. You have to really pay attention to the letter and doing ASAP.  It is a higher rate of approve now that 5-12 now need the vaccine. They only thing as other have said, only way of the ship is on a bubble tour. Those are slime, this is the only thing that may stop us from bringing her.   Also call your PVP so they can put a note in the system. 

7 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I think given the fact that 5-11 can now be vaccinated, they are going under the assumption most will be, so are starting to pre-exempt the ones that can't be.

I think youre right. We just got our exemption for our toddler 80 days out so that would make sense about them pre-exempting.

5 hours ago, gnegron22 said:

My cruise isn't until Feb 2022 but did get my exemption approved for our 2 year old daughter. You have to really pay attention to the letter and doing ASAP.  It is a higher rate of approve now that 5-12 now need the vaccine. They only thing as other have said, only way of the ship is on a bubble tour. Those are slime, this is the only thing that may stop us from bringing her.   Also call your PVP so they can put a note in the system. 

Just curious what makes you say the bubble tours are "slime"? We were just on the magic and did two bubble tours which we loved. Our 2 year old had blast on both of them.

On 11/19/2021 at 8:11 PM, matymil said:

I think youre right. We just got our exemption for our toddler 80 days out so that would make sense about them pre-exempting.

Just curious what makes you say the bubble tours are "slime"? We were just on the magic and did two bubble tours which we loved. Our 2 year old had blast on both of them.

On our schedule cruise, there is only offer a beach getaway on a resort and a swim with dolphins. it honestly two things my wife and dislike.  Sorry we love the beach and we will probably do this on one of the ports. but not the others, and yes we understand take what you can get. It just isn't us.

I can't find anywhere how to file for a vaccine exemption on https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/return-to-service-faqs

Is there a website or did you just email Carnival?

We have a 3-year-old (obviously unvaccinated- my other kiddos are). I booked tonight and didn't realize we wouldn't be allowed off in San Juan and be restricted to bubble tours until I just now saw the legal notice. 

9 hours ago, LostShakerofSalt said:

I can't find anywhere how to file for a vaccine exemption on https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/return-to-service-faqs

We have a 3-year-old (obviously unvaccinated- my other kiddos are). I booked tonight and didn't realize we wouldn't be allowed off in San Juan and be restricted to bubble tours until I just now saw the legal notice. 

When is your cruise? They might not have opened up the exemption process yet.

10 hours ago, LostShakerofSalt said:

I haven't looked at this closely lately but here's what I do know. Around about October or early November during one of Carnival's announcements regarding ship restarts and protocol extensions (maybe the one that extended things out through about 2/28), Carnival did announce that they were NOT offering exemptions (at least temporarily) in the run up to vax approval for kids 5-12.  At the time I speculated that they would ultimately come out with a revised 'Vax required' policy for that age group.  I don't think they've made any formal announcements regarding the topic since and obviously that doesn't impact the kids under 5 who can't get vaxxed.  I still think the revised policy is pending but only CCL has the fully accurate answer.  Good luck.  Perhaps others have more updated info.

• 1 month later...

I cancelled the cruise because my 3-year-old son would not be allowed off the boat or in child care, unless we were in a bubble excursion.  There was not guaranteed to be a bubble excursion at each port so we cancelled (they let us cancel as it was within 24 hours of booking). Now that Omicron spiked, I suppose it's a good thing.  Someday we will cruise 🙂

• Like 1

When did you make the exemption request?  We booked a cruise in June, 2021 for June,  2022, before there was any requirement for vaccines or exemptions.  The info on the Carnival site says to make the exemption request within 48 hours of booking. Obviously, we didn't do that. Still don't know what the requirements will be for June.  Where did you find the exemption form? Thank you.

This is the link, but it's currently only through March:

https://www.carnival.com/vaccine-exemption-submission

Also, we found out that when you enter information, it didn't submit until we had made final payment.

I think the wording about the 48 hours is confusing and not really true. We just got approval for 2 year old DGD exemption last week for a March cruise---the link didn't work within the 48 hours.....