Royal's ships 2023/24

1 hour ago, RosieCanberra said:

There were a LOT of Victorians on our Quantum cruise. I think it would pay RCI to base a ship in Melbourne, even for part of a season. 

Melbourne being as big as Sydney  now ,I think it has merit. It could Concentrate on N.Z and southern Australia itineraries.
Certainly a more attractive port to Brisbane with direct flights for overseas tourists.

47 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I would agree. Their "smaller" ship normally does a cruise around OZ/NZ split in Fremantle. A few months back, there was definitely bookings in place around Australia for one of these in 24/25. Even if they were changing the ship, they would surely keep a booking as a place marker. Until the new itineraries are announced, it looks like their smaller ship is in doubt.

What I would love is a Radiance or Brilliance out of Fremantle to Broome and back in the winter months. We have done the Fremantle - NZ - Sydney cruise twice now.

Wishful thinking!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I would agree. Their "smaller" ship normally does a cruise around OZ/NZ split in Fremantle. A few months back, there was definitely bookings in place around Australia for one of these in 24/25. Even if they were changing the ship, they would surely keep a booking as a place marker. Until the new itineraries are announced, it looks like their smaller ship is in doubt.

We are booked on RCL around OZ in Feb 2024.  We have to get off in Fremantle.   As it goes on to  NZ and does stop in Melbourne but I doubt they would let us off there without booking the cruise to NZ🤷‍♀️

4 hours ago, springaussie said:

If we knew what the real status of Lelepa was it would be easier to guess if Oasis was a possibility. 

it looks certain Royal has changed its mind over Brilliance in some form. 

Perhaps they believe Lelepa will be up and running (even if only in a rudimentary way) for that season.  If this is the case, the removal of those port bookings may not indicate a ship change….
They would want to sent Brilliance to Lelepa on just about every cruise.   Of course they would also need more bookings at OPT during this time - probably an issue.   

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Melbourne being as big as Sydney  now ,I think it has merit. It could Concentrate on N.Z and southern Australia itineraries.
Certainly a more attractive port to Brisbane with direct flights for overseas tourists.

Brisbane is still very attractive for those of us that live in qld & can drive to the Port. 

• Thanks 2

I think the cruise lines need to depart Brisbane later.

Arrive 0800

Depart 1800 or later.

This would allow more people the certainty of flying into Brisbane on the day of the cruise.

Brisbane doesn’t have daylight saving so must would get an extra hour to get to the terminal. 

Accomodation is very expensive here in Brisbane. Appartments and rental accommodation are full so more are using hotels and backpackers. 
A leading travel agent said during the week he expects the number of cruise ships in Brisbane to be cut. Apparently most sailings heaps of empty cabins on all ships. 

1 hour ago, springaussie said:

Arrive 0800

Depart 1800 or later.

This would allow more people the certainty of flying into Brisbane on the day of the cruise.

Brisbane doesn’t have daylight saving so must would get an extra hour to get to the terminal. 

Accomodation is very expensive here in Brisbane. Appartments and rental accommodation are full so more are using hotels and backpackers. 
A leading travel agent said during the week he expects the number of cruise ships in Brisbane to be cut. Apparently most sailings heaps of empty cabins on all ships. 

That is a good idea.  Last boarding on my Luminosa cruise was from 2-2.30 pm for 4 pm Sunday departure.  Would be cutting it too fine to fly in on the day.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cruisers47 said:

We are booked on RCL around OZ in Feb 2024.  We have to get off in Fremantle.   As it goes on to  NZ and does stop in Melbourne but I doubt they would let us off there without booking the cruise to NZ🤷‍♀️

The doubt is for the following year in the 24/25 season (Feb/Mar 2025) as port bookings have been removed.

6 hours ago, springaussie said:

Arrive 0800

Depart 1800 or later.

Gavin Smith seems very happy with sales in both Brisbane and Sydney.  Maybe talking it up, but there doesn’t seem to be big discounts offered.  
Carnival is struggling to sell Luminosa though.  

9 hours ago, geoff2802 said:

Gavin Smith seems very happy with sales in both Brisbane and Sydney.  Maybe talking it up, but there doesn’t seem to be big discounts offered.  

I don’t know where Gavin is getting that from but I suppose that’s his job to talk things up.

Here’s a screenshot from a local site this morning. Note that Quantum is heavily discounted for the rest of this season. No discounts on Ovation as it’s mostly sold out.

FAC6792F-4658-41FB-B472-61365EB075B5.thumb.png.446c9c668e5fc9077e7b6e12e3da1f32.png

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 6:18 AM, Chiliburn said:

I don’t know where Gavin is getting that from but I suppose that’s his job to talk things up.

Here’s a screenshot from a local site this morning. Note that Quantum is heavily discounted for the rest of this season. No discounts on Ovation as it’s mostly sold out.

FAC6792F-4658-41FB-B472-61365EB075B5.thumb.png.446c9c668e5fc9077e7b6e12e3da1f32.png

Thanks Chilli.  
Higher revenue onboard Quantum?  Queenslanders drink like fish 🍺 😉

• Haha 2

On 1/8/2023 at 10:09 PM, geoff2802 said:

If Carnival had based Luminosa in Sydney they might have filled more cabins, bigger population base.

Edited by NSWP

On 1/8/2023 at 10:09 PM, geoff2802 said:

Cause they parked it in the wrong Port. Should have gone to Melbourne for its season, then Sydney and then up to Brisbane.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Cause they parked it in the wrong Port. Should have gone to Melbourne for its season, then Sydney and then up to Brisbane.

A good percentage of cruises have the “ islands “ as their destination. Home porting a ship in Melbourne  would add three or four days ( sea days) to every cruise and mean added fuel costs, hardly an economic plus for the cruise line. 

2 hours ago, gbenjo said:

A good percentage of cruises have the “ islands “ as their destination. Home porting a ship in Melbourne  would add three or four days ( sea days) to every cruise and mean added fuel costs, hardly an economic plus for the cruise line. 

That why they could have run a hop on hop back and forth. 

15 hours ago, gbenjo said:

??????🤔

The could have runs up and down to Queensland, Islands, etc but passengers could disembark and embark in Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane. Little bit of thinking out side the box, instead of having only one port where you could embark or disembark. 

Edited by icat2000
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

The could have runs up and down to Queensland, Islands, etc but passengers could disembark and embark in Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane. Little bit of thinking out side the box, instead of having only one port where you could embark or disembark. 

Problem there is it travels less then full for so much of the trip