Anyone cancelling their cruise?

Sistersinlaw

Fouremco,

After having read so many of your posts on this forum, I know that your decision was made with a lot of care, knowing what was best for you and DW. It is still a difficult one to make, but you know it was good for you. I hope we still get the benefit of your measured thoughts, and I for sure will be anxious to learn where you plan to cruise next.

Take care and stay safe,

Nikki

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our health unit is report 300 new cases since December 23, ( 60 cases a day ) there is 185,000 people in the health unit 

usually there is less than 5 cases a day 

it appears most cases are people who are vaccinated and the vaccine rate is not to bad in our area

so it is double surgical mask or N95 when we go out , and hoping Celebrity changes Final payment date to 30 days for April cruises 

8173AF9C-F3E5-4956-89D8-E03D02F5BD62.jpeg

E741A23F-1CA1-45D0-AC89-46D7F6801D64.jpeg

1 hour ago, gubby said:

Fouremco,

After having read so many of your posts on this forum, I know that your decision was made with a lot of care, knowing what was best for you and DW. It is still a difficult one to make, but you know it was good for you. I hope we still get the benefit of your measured thoughts, and I for sure will be anxious to learn where you plan to cruise next.

Take care and stay safe,

Nikki

Thank you for your kind words. I'll still be kicking around and contributing when possible. And I'll be happy to let you know what our choice will be.

• Like 2

We are scheduled on Apex Feb 12 and paid in full now.   As much as I think this will be a swift wave, and we are three dosed, I think this sailing will still have many restrictions and maybe more testing that will make things even more difficult to execute and I want to destress during vacations and not add stress!  I was pleasantly surprised to see a late March sailing of same ship and route for basically same price (only difference is no $200 OBC).  I think 6 weeks might make more of a difference in smoother sailing vs beginning of February. So I think I’ll call the big box travel agent tomorrow to cancel. I assume I will have to cancel and rebook (although it would be nice to be able to keep same reservation and just move to new date since as of right now Celebrity is saying free onboard PCR testing for those who need one to get back home if you Booked before mid November I believe).

9 hours ago, Airbalancer said:

Our health unit is report 300 new cases since December 23, ( 60 cases a day ) there is 185,000 people in the health unit 

usually there is less than 5 cases a day 

it appears most cases are people who are vaccinated and the vaccine rate is not to bad in our area

so it is double surgical mask or N95 when we go out , and hoping Celebrity changes Final payment date to 30 days for April cruises 

8173AF9C-F3E5-4956-89D8-E03D02F5BD62.jpeg

E741A23F-1CA1-45D0-AC89-46D7F6801D64.jpeg

I am in the same health unit area. While I agree that the numbers going up calls for a lot of caution we are still only at just over 400 total and only 2 in the ICU.
Hopefully people didn’t go full ham at Christmas and kept their contacts low. 🤞 

Well after much thought we cancelled our January 8 Apex cruise. We planned 2 years for a girls cruise (10 of us) March 23 2020. We know how that ended. After transfer of FCCs etc we were 6 of us on this cruise. I just don’t think it was meant to be! Some want to plan again but since I am deemed the “travel agent” for this group not sure if I’m up to planning a third time.  My husband and I have a 10 night on the Millennium booked. Sure hope things are better by then. 

18 hours ago, Fouremco said:

After much deliberation, DW and I agreed this afternoon to cancel our March cruise.  We get our deposit back, and our FCC will be reissued. It has to be used for a cruise a maximum of one year from the date of the cancelled cruise, so the hunt is on. We'd originally had a HAL cruise in mind for 2023, but will need to stick with Celebrity to use up the FCC.

Ah, sorry to hear this.  I know how difficult these deliberations and decisions can be.  I will continue to look forward to your informative and entertaining posts and hearing about your plans once rescheduled.  Happy New Year.

(I would have posted this yesterday but .... CC problems... seems to be only affecting me on some threads/boards.  Very weird). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

Ah, sorry to hear this.  I know how difficult these deliberations and decisions can be.  I will continue to look forward to your informative and entertaining posts and hearing about your plans once rescheduled.  Happy New Year.

(I would have posted this yesterday but .... CC problems... seems to be only affecting me on some threads/boards.  Very weird). 

Thank you, Josie. This is the third March in a row with a cancelled cruise, not a habit that I really want to get into. 😒

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Princess Fi said:

Well after much thought we cancelled our January 8 Apex cruise. We planned 2 years for a girls cruise (10 of us) March 23 2020. We know how that ended. After transfer of FCCs etc we were 6 of us on this cruise. I just don’t think it was meant to be! Some want to plan again but since I am deemed the “travel agent” for this group not sure if I’m up to planning a third time.  My husband and I have a 10 night on the Millennium booked. Sure hope things are better by then. 

Sorry to read this for you and your group. I’m sure all of them will understand if you passed on you “TA” role for the third time. 

We decided just over a week ago to cancel our Jan 9th cruise on Enchanted Princess.  Still agonizing over a decision on our February cruise with our children and grandsons, a trip that had been rescheduled once before.  Still a bit of time to decide but unfortunately I can't say I'm too optimistic about that one either.

@fouremco, just want to throw my thanks in as well for your sage advice on various forums.  Just an aside, I spend my gr K-8 living in Blackburn.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Princess Fi said:

Bummer. :classic_sad:

5 minutes ago, kellk said:

We decided just over a week ago to cancel our Jan 9th cruise on Enchanted Princess.  Still agonizing over a decision on our February cruise with our children and grandsons, a trip that had been rescheduled once before.  Still a bit of time to decide but unfortunately I can't say I'm too optimistic about that one either.

@fouremco, just want to throw my thanks in as well for your sage advice on various forums.  Just an aside, I spend my gr K-8 living in Blackburn.

Thanks @kellk. DW and I live in Orleans, as does our son and his family. One of the grandkids goes to Louis Riel in Blackburn.

• Like 1

I just want to put this thought out into the universe. I don’t post often but I do cruise. I follow the boards to keep up with what’s happening on board and to help choose next adventures.

I just feel the need to commend you all for living up to our “Canadian” reputation of being polite, civil and respectful. 

The other boards are horrible to read right now with all the bickering and snarky comments. Thank you for the kind and thoughtful reading during such an unstable time.

Happy New Years everyone and safe travels or not (like me) 🙂

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Needabiggerlens said:

I just want to put this thought out into the universe. I don’t post often but I do cruise. I follow the boards to keep up with what’s happening on board and to help choose next adventures.

I just feel the need to commend you all for living up to our “Canadian” reputation of being polite, civil and respectful. 

The other boards are horrible to read right now with all the bickering and snarky comments. Thank you for the kind and thoughtful reading during such an unstable time.

You should post more often, as I'm sure that your contributions would be highly positive and a pleasure to read. Happy New Year to you and yours.

• Like 7

The decision to cancel or postpone is such a personal decision.  No perfect answer.  You simply have to move forward as you think best based upon your own decision factors.

We have not booked any travel.  We were hoping to go down to Panama and Costa Rica in late January.  On hold for now.   We still want to go but will wait.  If we do go it will be a one way flight booked two or three days before departure.  And the same on our way home in March.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Needabiggerlens said:

Well stated! Thanks for that.

I'm sitting here on this frigid day in BC (currently -27°C) contemplating our upcoming cruise at the end of January. To go or not-to-go... that is the question. Our friends are on the same cruise and we were/are looking forward to seeing them after several years of not cruising. We continue to weigh the Go/No-Go decision and thankfully Celebrity will allow a cancellation up to 48 hours prior to the trip. The destination for us is the ship, so we are not at all worried about the ports as we have been to all of them in the past.

We are not really that concerned with 'catching the virus' as we are triple vaccinated and well versed in the health protocols and use of PPE. But we are concerned about the issues that we can't control, such as the return trip with multiple flight legs and government restrictions both current and potential future. 

Sheesh. We need a cruise after all this stress! 😂

We have set a decision date of January 21st. My respect goes to those of you contemplating these decisions! 

IMG_5120.HEIC

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Thanks @kellk. DW and I live in Orleans. One of the grandkids goes to Louis Riel in Blackburn.

It is a small world as we lived for years in Blackburn but retired to Kanata.

And Fouremco, I join the chorus of those thankful for all your well informed advice on this thread.

Ruth

• Like 4

Well we just pulled the plug on our RC cruise during spring break with our Granddaughter 😞.

Thankfully we had not spilled the beans to her yet as she is still disappointed about her Disney cruise being cancelled in August 2020.

Just keeping my fingers crossed at the moment that schools return next week. This Grandma is mentally unprepared to tackle grade 3 online after doing it for half of grade 1 and all of grade 2.😖

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Needabiggerlens said:

I can't agree more.  I've almost totally switched to only following the Canadian Board..respect and civility are so evident here and matter more to me than some of the snappy responses.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Fouremco said:

After much deliberation, DW and I agreed this afternoon to cancel our March cruise.  We get our deposit back, and our FCC will be reissued. It has to be used for a cruise a maximum of one year from the date of the cancelled cruise, so the hunt is on. We'd originally had a HAL cruise in mind for 2023, but will need to stick with Celebrity to use up the FCC.

So sorry......Cancelling this close to a cruise must be very disappointing to both of you.  It seems more are realizing the new variant, despite 3 vaxs, is still something to be very cautious with.  We cancelled our June Europe back to back last month, just a little ahead of the latest inflated numbers.  Must have had a premonition but happy we did so.  Europe is getting worse by the day and not likely it'll be easy going next June.  Now booked Nov. '22.....hopefully we'll have learned how to live with this by then and have most of the danger behind us. 

• Like 2

I’ve been reading some of the posts on the Royal Caribbean boards and they have a mess on their hands with COVID cases with crew and guests. Mostly the bigger ships with 5400 people. They’ve been rerouting ports. I haven’t seen much news on any of the Celebrity ships. Thankfully we have no bookings and will wait & see for 2022.

7 minutes ago, Travelexpert35 said:

I’ve been reading some of the posts on the Royal Caribbean boards and they have a mess on their hands with COVID cases with crew and guests. Mostly the bigger ships with 5400 people. They’ve been rerouting ports. I haven’t seen much news on any of the Celebrity ships. Thankfully we have no bookings and will wait & see for 2022.

I am telling myself that is a result of the full capacity ships and activities in addition to a lot more kids onboard which are quite possibly unvaccinated.  Celebrity isn't sailing with near that many of either and for now that gives me comfort!!!  

• Like 1

We decided to cancel our Feb 13 Royal Caribbean cruise over the weekend.  Too many changes happening with ports, would rather go next year when hopefully things will be better.  I don't have any issue with travelling, just got back from Florida this morning from a short 4 day trip, and am planning to use my week in February to do a little Disney trip and another visit to my parent's Florida house....just would prefer to wait to cruise.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Such a bummer.  I know each time we agonized and then cancelled we felt instant relief so we knew it was the right call for us at the time.  Hopefully you have experienced the same and it has taken some stress off your shoulders.  Don't leave us though...we need you! 😉

• Like 4