Alaska...Mid May, Late May or Late June...380 pp Difference

SNJCruisers

Looking to book a 14 day cruise and weighing the pros and cons time and price wise comparing 3 different dates.  The most expensive is late June.  Can save 280 pp by booking late May.  560 savings is 560 savings.  Can save another 100 pp by going two weeks earlier.  So, is there that big of a difference between mid May and late May to pay that extra 200 bucks?  200 bucks, or 760 comparing the first and third choices can go towards excursions, which of course there will be many. Thanks.

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

Looking to book a 14 day cruise and weighing the pros and cons time and price wise comparing 3 different dates.  The most expensive is late June.  Can save 280 pp by booking late May.  560 savings is 560 savings.  Can save another 100 pp by going two weeks earlier.  So, is there that big of a difference between mid May and late May to pay that extra 200 bucks?  200 bucks, or 760 comparing the first and third choices can go towards excursions, which of course there will be many. Thanks.

We've been a few times in May, once very early but the other two were later in the month.  Believe it or not, the early one had tons of sunny beautiful weather but, we also were skunked out of getting up close to the glacier due to all the ice in the fjord.  

There is no telling what the weather will be like when you go.  We once went late May and it absolutely poured the entire trip.  It was fine with us and still a very fun cruise.  We usually go the first week of Sept and have had phenomenal luck with the weather.  We went earlier this year at the end of July and it was actually hot.  I think it reached nearly 80 degrees in Ketchikan.  

I think I would choose the mid May for the extra $200... because the odds are with you that it may be a bit nicer than early May.  But, again, weather is weather and unpredictable.  If you can go late August or early Sept, that would actually be my first choice.  

7 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We've been a few times in May, once very early but the other two were later in the month.  Believe it or not, the early one had tons of sunny beautiful weather but, we also were skunked out of getting up close to the glacier due to all the ice in the fjord.  

There is no telling what the weather will be like when you go.  We once went late May and it absolutely poured the entire trip.  It was fine with us and still a very fun cruise.  We usually go the first week of Sept and have had phenomenal luck with the weather.  We went earlier this year at the end of July and it was actually hot.  I think it reached nearly 80 degrees in Ketchikan.  

I think I would choose the mid May for the extra $200... because the odds are with you that it may be a bit nicer than early May.  But, again, weather is weather and unpredictable.  If you can go late August or early Sept, that would actually be my first choice.  

The price differences are as follows.  May 13  1989 pp, May 27 2089 pp, June 24 2369 pp, Sept 2 2139 pp.    I have the May 27 on a 3 day hold, it would cost an extra 50 pp to go over Labor Day.

4 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

The price differences are as follows.  May 13  1989 pp, May 27 2089 pp, June 24 2369 pp, Sept 2 2139 pp.    I have the May 27 on a 3 day hold, it would cost an extra 50 pp to go over Labor Day.

If that Sept one is an option for your schedule, I'd definitely choose it over the other ones.  There may not be as much snow on the mountains but, you will most likely not be skunked out of getting very close to the glaciers.  My second choice would be the May 24th sailing, just for pricing.  We've sailed up to Alaska 13 times and have another one booked for this coming June for a friend's birthday.  Sept is definitely my favorite month to go, though ...early Sept that is!  We went one year from middle to late Sept and wow, what a difference.  It's still one of my favorite cruises of all times but wow, it was like blizzard conditions out there.  There's a photo of my sister in law and myself being pelted by the sleet just trying to get a glimpse of the glacier up close... we were bundled up like crazy.  Then, my DH and I went back the next year in early Sept and we were out by the glacier in our swim suits.  I had to send my sister in law a photo.  She just laughed.  What a difference a couple of weeks can make.  

Anyway, just wanted to mention that we went back up in July of this year and so many shops and businesses were closed down.  I sure am hoping conditions will change for them by next year.  The good thing about going towards the end of summer instead of the beginning of their season is that more establishments may be up and running.  And, for many of my cruises up to my favorite itinerary of all times, is that I have actually used more sunscreen than I have an umbrella or a heavy coat.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

If that Sept one is an option for your schedule, I'd definitely choose it over the other ones.  There may not be as much snow on the mountains but, you will most likely not be skunked out of getting very close to the glaciers.  My second choice would be the May 24th sailing, just for pricing.  We've sailed up to Alaska 13 times and have another one booked for this coming June for a friend's birthday.  Sept is definitely my favorite month to go, though ...early Sept that is!  We went one year from middle to late Sept and wow, what a difference.  It's still one of my favorite cruises of all times but wow, it was like blizzard conditions out there.  There's a photo of my sister in law and myself being pelted by the sleet just trying to get a glimpse of the glacier up close... we were bundled up like crazy.  Then, my DH and I went back the next year in early Sept and we were out by the glacier in our swim suits.  I had to send my sister in law a photo.  She just laughed.  What a difference a couple of weeks can make.  

Anyway, just wanted to mention that we went back up in July of this year and so many shops and businesses were closed down.  I sure am hoping conditions will change for them by next year.  The good thing about going towards the end of summer instead of the beginning of their season is that more establishments may be up and running.  And, for many of my cruises up to my favorite itinerary of all times, is that I have actually used more sunscreen than I have an umbrella or a heavy coat.  

It will be a 14 day cruise on the Majestic.  We can go 5/27-6/10 or 9/2-9/16 for 100 bucks more or 5/13-5/27 for 200 bucks less.   So, of the three you would choose the 9/2 sailing.

We've been to Alaska early and mid May, and early September. Had some problems with shops cllosed this past September, but that was probably due to the short season, and they decided not to open this year. Most of the stores were open, as well as excursions. Chilly weather, but not cold. The early May was in the 60's, and only wore a light jacket. The mid may weather was awful. lots of rain, and very cold. Alaska weather is very unpredictable.

I would choose May over Sept all the time. I've sailed Alaska over 24+ times, most May or June. My sweet spot would be first two weeks of June. I do B2B's to maxamize Glacier visits and love the longer daylight hours. On a Sept cruise it gets dark way too early and you miss a lot of sights. Generally May is one of the driest months in my experience. If you are doing a B2B I highly recommend a trip to Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound the first week heading North if your time in port allows. I've done this 6 times and will repeat ever chance I get. Fantastic experience to be up close and personal in a small boat and a great day for the price

5 minutes ago, DougH said:

I would choose May over Sept all the time. I've sailed Alaska over 24+ times, most May or June. My sweet spot would be first two weeks of June. I do B2B's to maxamize Glacier visits and love the longer daylight hours. On a Sept cruise it gets dark way too early and you miss a lot of sights. Generally May is one of the driest months in my experience. If you are doing a B2B I highly recommend a trip to Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound the first week heading North if your time in port allows. I've done this 6 times and will repeat ever chance I get. Fantastic experience to be up close and personal in a small boat and a great day for the price

Thanks for the response.  Just asked you your opinion in another thread about what I am deciding between.  All 14 day cruises..May 13, May 27 or September 2.  Obviously I assume you would choose May 27.

I've been on both ends of the season and purposely avoid the summer family crowd.  Both bookends have their own charm.  

May:  Days are starting to get longer and longer.  Something refreshing about being in Alaska early on.  Weather isn't a factor since it can be hot/cold, sunny/rainy regardless of the month.  Yes, the ice fields may not have broken up yet and you may run the risk of not being able to get into Glacier Bay or up to the glaciers.  

September:  The days are definitely shorter.  Shops are starting to close up/think end of season sales (although I never really found anything of value).  There is the slightest of slight chances you may experience Northern lights viewing from Juneau or Skagway.  

• 4 weeks later...

As a local Alaskan as well as someone who has done many Alaska cruises, I would go for the 5/27 cruise. The June sailing isn’t worth the extra money. The early May sailing is risky with snow and weather. The September sailing is very risky with the potential for storms and rough seas. We have sailed several times late May and consider it a wonderful time of the season to do an Alaskan cruise. Of course none of us have control over the weather, and it can definitely pour, we have experienced some beautifully warm days that time of year. Happy planning!

2 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

As a local Alaskan as well as someone who has done many Alaska cruises, I would go for the 5/27 cruise. The June sailing isn’t worth the extra money. The early May sailing is risky with snow and weather. The September sailing is very risky with the potential for storms and rough seas. We have sailed several times late May and consider it a wonderful time of the season to do an Alaskan cruise. Of course none of us have control over the weather, and it can definitely pour, we have experienced some beautifully warm days that time of year. Happy planning!

Thanks for the verification that I chose the right weeks.  We are on the 5/27/23 sailing for 14 days on the Majestic. Have lots of planning to do regarding excursions. Luckily we have time.  Really happy with the upgrade we got as well to a "obstructed" balcony from our inside cabin. Located right next to the bridge, losing maybe 20% from what I could infer from a YouTube video.

2023 will be the year of bucket list cruises for me.  14 days in Alaska, 12 days in Southern Australia  and 13 days in New Zealand.

we have sailed to Alaska 14 times, our favorite place to cruise.  We have sailed in different years during ALL of the available months (5), our last 7 have been in May, because we feel it is the most scenic with lots of snow on the mountains and waterfalls flowing their best.  It is a personal choice, but we will always sail to Alaska in May from now on.  I hope you enjoy it.

16 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Thanks for the verification that I chose the right weeks.  We are on the 5/27/23 sailing for 14 days on the Majestic. Have lots of planning to do regarding excursions. Luckily we have time.  Really happy with the upgrade we got as well to a "obstructed" balcony from our inside cabin. Located right next to the bridge, losing maybe 20% from what I could infer from a YouTube video.

2023 will be the year of bucket list cruises for me.  14 days in Alaska, 12 days in Southern Australia  and 13 days in New Zealand.

Yay! Having the balcony will really enhance the experience. Happy Bucket List cruising to you in 2023! 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 5:35 PM, Cruise Raider said:

If that Sept one is an option for your schedule, I'd definitely choose it over the other ones.  There may not be as much snow on the mountains but, you will most likely not be skunked out of getting very close to the glaciers.  . . .

I disagree.  My late DH sailed in Alaska at least 4 times.  I did it once with my sister in Sept.  The weather on the latter was awful, i.e. rained a lot.  Plus the glaciers in Sept. are much more melted than in the spring, showing lots of bare rock and not much glacier.  So Glacier Bay was not much of a "thrill" as it is in May and June.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:34 AM, BarbinMich said:

I disagree.  My late DH sailed in Alaska at least 4 times.  I did it once with my sister in Sept.  The weather on the latter was awful, i.e. rained a lot.  Plus the glaciers in Sept. are much more melted than in the spring, showing lots of bare rock and not much glacier.  So Glacier Bay was not much of a "thrill" as it is in May and June.

We've cruised up to Alaska 13 times and have another one booked.  Early Sept has always treated us well in terms of weather.  But, that's the rub ... it's weather so it always reserves the right to surprise us.  

On 12/8/2021 at 6:13 PM, deliver42 said:

We've been to Alaska early and mid May, and early September. Had some problems with shops cllosed this past September, but that was probably due to the short season, and they decided not to open this year. Most of the stores were open, as well as excursions. Chilly weather, but not cold. The early May was in the 60's, and only wore a light jacket. The mid may weather was awful. lots of rain, and very cold. Alaska weather is very unpredictable.

Went late May and had wonderful non rainy sunny warm weather.  Infact I was a little disappointed it was too warm.  Next cruise is early Sept. and I will be touring a week before the cruise on our own starting in Fairbanks hoping for some northern lights and to see more of this beautiful land.  The land tour will be followed by a cruise in a aft suite on the royal and hoping to see even more beautiful sites.

On 12/8/2021 at 2:56 PM, SNJCruisers said:

On 12/9/2021 at 12:51 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

I've been on both ends of the season and purposely avoid the summer family crowd.  Both bookends have their own charm.  

May:  Days are starting to get longer and longer.  Something refreshing about being in Alaska early on.  Weather isn't a factor since it can be hot/cold, sunny/rainy regardless of the month.  Yes, the ice fields may not have broken up yet and you may run the risk of not being able to get into Glacier Bay or up to the glaciers.  

September:  The days are definitely shorter.  Shops are starting to close up/think end of season sales (although I never really found anything of value).  There is the slightest of slight chances you may experience Northern lights viewing from Juneau or Skagway.  

22 minutes ago, Discus16 said:

Our last cruise tour was May 20, we are booked for May 25 off this year. Love all the hours of daylight and the weather was awesome 

I booked 5/27 - 6/10.  14 days on the Majestic in 2023. Got a free upgrade to an "obstructed balcony"

On 12/8/2021 at 2:06 PM, Cruise Raider said:

If you want to see a salmon run or bears mid summer is your best bet.  We often go in late May but we do miss out on the salmon runs