just back from Eurodam...feedback re: masking

grest

Just returned yesterday from 10 night partial Panama transit.   It was wonderful!  Ship was about 1/2 full.   Service was amazing.  Food delicious.   Our main concern going in was COVID safety, and we were very pleased with our experience.   With few exceptions, people masked up, and if they didn't, they were reminded to put one on.   HAL provided two masks per person in staterooms.   The one place where we saw several folks unmasked was the showroom, particularly with the lights out.  But we were able to either sit far away or just left.    

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, grest said:

Just returned yesterday from 10 night partial Panama transit.   It was wonderful!  Ship was about 1/2 full.   Service was amazing.  Food delicious.   Our main concern going in was COVID safety, and we were very pleased with our experience.   With few exceptions, people masked up, and if they didn't, they were reminded to put one on.   HAL provided two masks per person in staterooms.   The one place where we saw several folks unmasked was the showroom, particularly with the lights out.  But we were able to either sit far away or just left.    

Was on the same cruise and agree with your experience. We found the vast majority of people were quite respectful and never felt unsafe as we had ample space from the few non-conformists. We actually thought compliance got better as the cruise went on, which is not at all what I was expecting. The staff did a great job diplomatically reminding folks about their mask where needed.

We found compliance lacking in BB King's as well, but had no issue as we weren't looking to be on the dance floor and were able to find space to watch the show. 

Just wanted to add that the masks provided were quite comfortable and we were able to give them a quick hot sink bath every couple of days to freshen them up!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Saphire said:

Can you tell me about the spa, the thermal loungers and pool for instance? Hoping they aren't required there!

I'm sorry, we decided to forego this area....DH is transplant person and we avoided any potential problems.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This might sound silly but cruise ships right now might be the safest public places, everyone has been vaccinated and tested before they boarded and mask up while indoors. We just returned from a Princess cruise and like you we had a wonderful time, ship was at about 51% capacity with service, food and entertainment excellent. Ready to book with Holland America for late May.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Saphire said:

Can you tell me about the spa, the thermal loungers and pool for instance? Hoping they aren't required there!

It appeared folks around the pool were maskless but would generally put on their mask to leave the pool area (to go the washroom, pizza or burger joint etc.). We peered into the thermal spa area once and no masks that we saw. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Saphire said:

Luckily, the Fitness Center and the thermal spa are mask free zones......ENJOY!

(At least they were on our October Rotterdam cruise)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, OP, for your report.

Masks required to be worn by crew?  Masks needing to be worn by guests?  Have no interest in investing money into a "vacation" that I would not enjoy.  

Some of us have conditions that having to wear a mask for any length of time to be unpleasant.  I do that locally when I must.  Not going to pay money to endure such an experience.  

I am somewhat envious of those who are able to endure this requirement.  If I was a bit younger without the shortness of breath issues that I now have, I would be tempted to experience this "new way of cruising".  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks, OP, for your report.

Masks required to be worn by crew?  Masks needing to be worn by guests?  Have no interest in investing money into a "vacation" that I would not enjoy.  

Some of us have conditions that having to wear a mask for any length of time to be unpleasant.  I do that locally when I must.  Not going to pay money to endure such an experience.  

I am somewhat envious of those who are able to endure this requirement.  If I was a bit younger without the shortness of breath issues that I now have, I would be tempted to experience this "new way of cruising".  

Thank you for recognizing that in yourself.  There were some people on my cruise that refused to wear a mask when asked.  I heard on guy say it’s claustrophobic.  It’s beyond me why some people sign up for a cruise, agree to the requirements then stomp their feet like a child saying no they don’t want to.  Who thinks like that other than spoiled babies? 

• Like 18

The same holds true on the airlines.  The pilot of our last flight stopped the plane on the tarmac while approaching for takeoff because a man in the row before us refused to wear a mask.  Finally, he complied.  Why do they acknowledge and agree to wear masks then totally disregard the requirement?  Beyond me!

• Like 13

44 minutes ago, kapitch said:

The same holds true on the airlines.  The pilot of our last flight stopped the plane on the tarmac while approaching for takeoff because a man in the row before us refused to wear a mask.  Finally, he complied.  Why do they acknowledge and agree to wear masks then totally disregard the requirement?  Beyond me!

People like that should be put off the flight immediately.  

• Like 4

Thanks OP for your report! That makes me feel a lot better about mine and my family's health and safety. We are going to be cruising on the Nieuw Statendam headed out this weekend and we are all of varying ages and health, so it's reassuring that people are taking guidelines seriously. Glad to see that crew is enforcing everything as well. We're celebrating mine and DH's wedding (which will be on-board) so we all got some fancy masks and are going to try to make the most of it 🙂

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, bobpell said:

I noticed rodndonna (the OP) you are Canadian. Were you tested on the dock or on board at departure?

thanks

Bob

We did our test here at home before our flight and cruise departure. We tested outside the terminal  (HAL provided test) after departing the ship for our flight home.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bobpell said:

Thanks rodndonna. Was a piece of papar given to you after your test on the dock?

Bob

No, as it takes up to 2 hours to get the results. You give them your email address when you register. After the test, you now continue on to the airport and wait your results. When the test arrives (a pdf in the email) you can proceed to check in for your flight showing the results on your phone (or tablet or such). It took about 1 hour for our results which is typical, they say 2 hours to be safe. 

It was a pretty simple process and went smoothly.