Anyone know if there is a reason for limited capacity sailings?

chamima

16 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

I read the Carnival Ceo Arnold said they should be up to 75% capacity by June.  Slowly ramping up. 

I think that meant 75% of the fleet capacity would sailing, not that 75% of the ships' capacity would be filled.

Today's update by CCL Corp said that 68% of capacity is now in operation with 50 ships sailing. They expect 100% of the ships to be operating by springtime, sooner than the earlier projections.

On 12/19/2021 at 10:02 AM, jkrislc said:

I’m on the Majestic right now and it’s sailing at about 40% (1540 passengers). However, I have heard of Carnival ships sailing at closer to 80% capacity.

CCL Corp said today that in the 4th fiscal quarter occupancy across the fleet averaged 59%. CCL brand is currently approaching 90% occupancy.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, caribill said:

I think that meant 75% of the fleet capacity would sailing, not that 75% of the ships' capacity would be filled.

Today's update by CCL Corp said that 68% of capacity is now in operation with 50 ships sailing. They expect 100% of the ships to be operating by springtime, sooner than the earlier projections.

Thanks for clarifying that!  I just heard Arnold a few days ago on TV talking about the return.  Thought he said

by June.  

On todays earnings report they said that booking #'s are running behind expectations for the end of 21 and the first half of 22 but ahead on the second half of 22.  Also was mentioned that Princess booking were lagging the other cruise lines that are part of Carnival.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, waltd said:

Last story I read says they can sail at 100 percent capacity.  Just off Majestic and we only had around 1300 guests.    Bookings have been low, so far. 

You cannot get to 100% if you have to leave some cabins vacant in case they are needed for quarantine or you cannot sell them if you are using them to quarantine new crew.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, franktown said:

On todays earnings report they said that booking #'s are running behind expectations for the end of 21 and the first half of 22 but ahead on the second half of 22.  Also was mentioned that Princess booking were lagging the other cruise lines that are part of Carnival.

I wonder if the dysfunctional app is a big contributor to the lagging bookings for Princess.

• Like 3

On 12/19/2021 at 9:53 AM, Steelers36 said:

Not enough customers booking the voyages.

I had thought that too.  I’m currently on the Emerald Princess. It should have been a popular cruise for families like ours with school age children.  We asked the gentleman helping us book excursions how full the ship was. He said that we are sailing at 50 percent passenger capacity. When my sister asked if this was due to cancellations he said that it was deliberate on the part of Princess, the current company policy.  

The ship feels even emptier than that.  Maybe folks are spending more time in their staterooms?

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Thanks for clarifying that!  I just heard Arnold a few days ago on TV talking about the return.  Thought he said

by June.  

Early June is still spring, so what he said today and what you heard are the same.

2 hours ago, caribill said:

CCL Corp said today that in the 4th fiscal quarter occupancy across the fleet averaged 59%. CCL brand is currently approaching 90% occupancy.

What is  meant by CCL brand?

Also having trouble understanding occupancy at 59% vs. occupancy 90%?

All of the "World's Leading Cruiseline's" brands together? So several of the lines (Cunard? Carnival? Seabourn?) are sailing at 100%? Would have to be a lot of them to get from 59 to 90.

1 hour ago, chamima said:

What is  meant by CCL brand?

Also having trouble understanding occupancy at 59% vs. occupancy 90%?

All of the "World's Leading Cruiseline's" brands together? So several of the lines (Cunard? Carnival? Seabourn?) are sailing at 100%? Would have to be a lot of them to get from 59 to 90.

CCL Corp has 9 cruise line brands which they call the "World's Leading Cruiselines". The 59% occupancy is for all the ships currently in service over the 9 brands.

One of the nine brands is Carnival Cruise Line which has a recent occupancy rate approaching 90% on its ships that are currently in service.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

You cannot get to 100% if you have to leave some cabins vacant in case they are needed for quarantine or you cannot sell them if you are using them to quarantine new crew.

Okay, so 90%.  The point is they aren't selling anywhere near capacity yet.

• Like 1

With the new variant and Royal Caribbean, Norwegian and Carnival implementing mask and social distancing policies (they’ve each recently experienced dozens of positive Covid cases onboard), I think chances are slim that Princess will increase capacity at least through February. The cruise lines will be proactive to prevent any possibility of a CDC shutdown. 

• Like 3

Haven't read all of the replies, but the cruise line blocks off a certain number of cabins for quarantine in case of positive covid cases while sailing.  They cannot fill cabins when empties are needed.  I am not entirely sure what the current CDC requirements are, but the fully vaccinated are not immune to covid completely.  I'm also going to guess that the cruise lines cannot risk a shut down again.

Just took a look at the last 10Q.  During the quarter ending at the end of August the CCL owned lines had 3,788,000 lower berth days capacity with 54.2% occupancy.

Looking at the similar quarter pre-covid in 2019  the CCL lines had 22,727,000 lower berth days in the same quarter.

So basically as of that quarter  only about 16% of the pre covid capacity was sailing.

Just as a side note the average food cost was $13.72 per available berth day, about the same as pre-cruise.  However with the 54.2% occupancy the actual cost per passenger would have been  $25 dollars per day.  However keep in mind that those costs include food for crew so not as inflated as it look at first glance.

Basically CCL lost 2.8 billion during that quarter.

Just got off the Caribbean Princess last Sunday, only 1200 on board.  Does anyone know if Caribbean cruises in January will stay at reduced capacity and if it is what the capacity is? I called Princess and they state that they dont have that information.  If anyone out there does has that info, I would appreciate it.

2 hours ago, simber22 said:

Just got off the Caribbean Princess last Sunday, only 1200 on board.  Does anyone know if Caribbean cruises in January will stay at reduced capacity and if it is what the capacity is? I called Princess and they state that they dont have that information.  If anyone out there does has that info, I would appreciate it.

It just depends upon how many people book.  The limit, if there is one, if certainly higher than what we are seeing.  They are running Carnival near 90% so one would expect if there is not a limit there, there is not one on Princess.

Have not heard of anyone saying that they could not book due to a capacity limit being reached. Some room types getting booked out, but a capacity limit nope.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 1