Update on Abbott's BinaxNOW Availability

Heartgrove

Yesterday we received our shipment of the Abbott's BinoxNOW test kits for our upcoming cruise in two weeks. For those that have been keeping up on the availability, I ordered six kits on Monday from Emed and received them yesterday, Wednesday. Three days total. They were  manufactured just 10 days ago and have  an expiration date of 11/21/2022. Cost was the same as mentioned on CC before with shipping and tax. That works out to be just under $33.00 each 

• Like 5

Hi Helen,

Good to see you posting. The test kits under discussion are medically observed. One just makes an account and contacts the proctor online to observe the test. Results are emailed.

At home tests that are not medically observed are not accepted.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Hi Helen,

Good to see you posting. The test kits under discussion are medically observed. One just makes an account and contacts the proctor online to observe the test. Results are emailed.

At home tests that are not medically observed are not accepted.

Thanks so much for the quick response.  We’re supposed to leave Sunday for a 1 week Caribbean cruise.  We will do regular testing tomorrow morning.  Someone I know purchased the at home test so I just wanted to double check requirements.

Seems like 100 years ago that we were in South America!

Helen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HELENPSL said:

Thanks so much for the quick response.  We’re supposed to leave Sunday for a 1 week Caribbean cruise.  We will do regular testing tomorrow morning.  Someone I know purchased the at home test so I just wanted to double check requirements.

Seems like 100 years ago that we were in South America!

Helen

That was such a great cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HELENPSL said:

Will HAL accept an “at home test” if it’s not done online with a doctor overseeing the process?

No - the eMed test kit is the same kit is medically supervised  - the technician confirms your identity (Driver license, etc), and watches you perform the test, and monitors the test time the entire waiting time (15 min) and then reads the test and provides you with a test report. This report is what you show when embarking.

The "Self Test" kits from the pharmacy, and I assume all the ones being handed out now for free, are the same test, just not medically supervised with no written verification of who the test was performed on, or what the result was.

Just to Clarify - the Abbot BinaxNOW names - as it can be confusing. The "Home Test" is the medically supervised test, the "Self Test" is NOT medically supervised and is typically sold in stores and is now being given away for free in many instances. Easy to get those confused.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Yesterday we received our shipment of the Abbott's BinoxNOW test kits for our upcoming cruise in two weeks. For those that have been keeping up on the availability, I ordered six kits on Monday from Emed and received them yesterday, Wednesday. Three days total. They were  manufactured just 10 days ago and have  an expiration date of 11/21/2022. Cost was the same as mentioned on CC before with shipping and tax. That works out to be just under $33.00 each 

Could you provide the name of the website where the tests can be purchased, thanks

Norma

Thank you for the updated info.  I just ordered my six tests.  We don't use a smartphone, and I was able to get to the emed site and see the link to be monitored to actually take the test on my PC windows 10 google chrome.  I ordered the tests and was asked if they were for more than one person, so I was able to add my husband's name.  I believe he'll have to set up an account for the test from what I recall from posts in the past, yes?

13 hours ago, SUESEABE said:

And they can also be ordered from Optum.com

18 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

The test kits under discussion are medically observed.

Just so folks know:  while the proctored BinaxNow tests that are accepted by airlines and cruise lines are observed by a human, they are not "medically" observed.  The "proctors" are people in overseas call centers trained to observe the tests and thus validate them for travel use.  But no one should think that the "proctors" have any medical or healthcare expertise.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

excellent news on newly produced kits.  Hoping emed not too backed up.

Sure wish there was a competitive company so we would have more than one choice and perhaps a company located in USA too.

I was impressed with how responsive eMed was. They must have a lot of people working the phones/computers because the longest wait in the queue was 15 minutes. We did our tests this morning for our Sunday cruise on the Zuiderdam.

Tech note, if when you choose Start Test you don't get an immediate status letting you know where you are in the queue, be sure that all your ad-blockers and video-blockers are off and all of your camera security is set to allow. See my previous post about all our technical issues that were all on our side not eMed's side.

1 minute ago, Playin Pickleball said:

I was impressed with how responsive eMed was. They must have a lot of people working the phones/computers because the longest wait in the queue was 15 minutes. We did our tests this morning for our Sunday cruise on the Zuiderdam.

Tech note, if when you choose Start Test you don't get an immediate status letting you know where you are in the queue, be sure that all your ad-blockers and video-blockers are off and all of your camera security is set to allow. See my previous post about all our technical issues that were all on our side not eMed's side.

aw good to know.  Glad to hear newer testing are being created too.  I never used mine and they are sitting on my desk.  might open one up for kicks.

have a good time on the Zuiderdam.  I sailed on her in 2011 on an 11 day partial Panama Canal during thanksgiving.

• Like 1