GRANDEUR OF THE SEAS - Barbados - Terrible reports

18 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Isnt that EXACTLY why we need threads like this? So we can make more informed choices and take responsibility? No issue with the thread contents or the sharing of information.  People who get in over the heads as they did no research about the risks they are taking or the possible impacts is a problem to me.  Especially when their lack of due diligence is immediately blamed on someone (or something) else.  

At a guess what percentage of cruise passengers have any idea what they might experience if they test positive in Barbados?  Far less than 5 per cent I would suggest  Likely very low, but thats no one's fault but their own.  They voluntarily traveled, they voluntarily accepted those risks whether they researched them or not.

Who should be informing them? They should do the research on their own, so they know what could happen, and decide if they have the fortitude and financial means to deal with it.  There are lots of lower risk / lower cost options for travel.

Or should they just find out when it happens to them? So someone on here can tell them "You knew what you were signing up for etc etc"  Again, no issue with people on here posting their opinion on any given situation (the drama and hyperbole is amusing at times, but that's just the nature of modern society). But lack of knowledge, lack of research, is always your issue, not someone else's.  I don't fly to a foreign country, do no research, get quarantined, and then act shocked that it happened, and not know how I was going to pay for it.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I would tell my wife to leave me to face quarantine in Barbados alone based on the reports

Do my ”time” alone

Wouldn't you?

NO WAY would I abandon my husband or separate from him in a foreign country with sketchy repatriation rules and quarantine options.  We would go through all of this together - whatever it happened to be.  Who could have a great time on a cruise, anyway, knowing that someone you love is sitting God-knows-where, doing God-knows-what for God-knows-how-long.

Edited by RFerrington
  • Like 9

17 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

NO WAY would I abandon my husband or separate from him in a foreign country with sketchy repatriation rules and quarantine options.  We would go through all of this together - whatever it happened to be.  Who could have a great time on a cruise, anyway, knowing that someone you love is sitting God-knows-where, doing God-knows-what for God-knows-how-long.

You would also have to board knowing you had said 24 hours out from boarding you hadnt been around anyone with covid ... you would know you had when you boarded. 

The rcl health questionnaire. You now would have knowledge you had been exposed and willing to expose others.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

You would also have to board knowing you had said 24 hours out from boarding you hadnt been around anyone with covid ... you would know you had when you boarded. 

The rcl health questionnaire. You now would have knowledge you had been exposed and willing to expose others.

2 hours ago, wake74 said:

People need to accept responsibility for their situations, travel is always optional, and only you are responsible to know what may or may not happen along your journey.  I've travelled all over the world, and always know the risks of any given location before that trip.  When I go into the rural parts of a third world country, I know that the chance of getting proper medical care (by Western standards) is slim, and I need to have a plan for what happens if I get hurt.  If I couldn't afford to extract myself to a country with proper medical care, I wouldn't go.  I was in St. Lucia last week on a family vacation and knew there was a chance one of us would test positive on the way out and be forced to quarantine (at our cost) so I knew the risks and accepted that possibility.  If the cost of a test or quarantine housing is going to be financially burdensome currently I'd suggest not going to Barbados (or lots of other foreign countries in a global pandemic).   I'm not saying the situation in Barbados doesn't suck (I would vote No at this point for my family, and I like Barbados), but we are each responsible to understand the risks we put ourselves in.  It isn't anyones responsibility other than yours to make sure you understand what you are getting into.

Which is the reason why the OP is sharing information.  There were at least 2 posts on cruise critic about 2 situations of testing positive for covid.  One was Barcelona I believe.  One may have been Florida.  The Barcelona one RCCL put up in a hotel with a food budget.  The other was flown home on a jet.  So the assumption was RCCL would at least help you. NOT the case in Barbados.  I get what you are saying.  And you are correct.  One must always be prepared.  Which is why I cancelled my 2/20/22 cruise.  

Edited:  When you see this on their web page, what does one think?  

Screenshot_20220106-151834_Chrome_kindlephoto-6182502.jpg

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was also on 12/26/21 cruise.  All in All it was a wonderful time but  I would never ever cruise out of Barbados again.  I feel the same exact way as Jean does.  Barbados can't handle the huge influx of people coming into its country for these cruises.  I didn't have the issue of our PCRs not being accepted but the lines in the airport were crazy.  I was on a United Flight, 2 Virgin flights and an American all came in at the same time...so there were like 600--800 people crammed into lines to show their PCRS and BMI App....then you are given a colored bracelet ( ours was white..I am assuming the best it can be) and we were ushered to customs which was another long line.....it took over an hour to get from PCR line to the baggage area and our bags still weren't there.  We luckily arrange transpiration with a wonderful 3 party taxi service but once we got the port were you pulled aside and had to show every body passports again.  After registering for the Anitgen test the week before, I never received the email saying we had a test scheduled so after so many hours I was told I had to register my family again ( 2 adults and 3 kids) I was bewildered by then...got all of us registered and then had to be ushered into another line to wait for our Antigen test...thanksfully all 5 of us were negative but then we had to go through getting on the ship.  All of 5 of us are vaccinated but they still made us show negative PCRS for our 2 boys  5 and 9 b/c supposedly they couldn't possibly not be vaccinated...well luckily we had the valid PCRS from flying in but FYI they still asked for valid negative PCRs for my vaccinated children....Once we were on board it was great but a much different cruise than my other royal cruises ( we are diamond so we have been on a few).  I am still very loyal to royal but will never ever cruise out of Barbados again!!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

I appreciate OP bring this up, but feel a lot of the backlash was from overly dramatic language.  Especially since the information was from other sources, without any links to those sources.

• Like 3

On 1/5/2022 at 12:59 PM, shipgeeks said:

I must need new glasses.  I read the article, but could not find any mention of being locked in a cage at the port for 7 hours with no chairs, no toilet, etc.

I’m an eye doctor... I think your vision is just fine!

Edited by zanydoc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Unless I missed it, there is no discussion here about the arrival and embarkation requirements except for some vague reference to "The Barbados Ministry of Health and Wellness health assessments".  Since this step of the process (arrival and embarkation) seem to have triggered the most objectionable results for onboarding cruisers, I'm not sure we know any more than we did.  What has changed to make the onboarding more efficient and less sketchy ? 

The Harrison Point facility is where seriously ill Barbados residents have quarantined throughout the pandemic. It was never designed for use by tourists and cruise passengers.  Before running this facility down perhaps we should put our hands together and thank the almighty that we live in places where the options are better.

There are plenty of YouTube videos/reports from Barbados residents praising this facility.  It really shouldn't be insulted because we think it doesn't meet our first world expectations.

Regarding private quarantine in Barbados, a trip to their Government site lists hotel accommodation for this purpose as st one point visitors were required to book in advance before arrival.  

Any cruise passengers, from any country, travelling in a pandemic should surely have full travel insurance and need not worry about having to quarantine if unwell.  RC have updated their terms of carriage and appear to now been in line with most other cruise lines.  Good quality travel insurance is surely the way to go here as your insurance provider assumedly is in charge of where you quarantine.

• Like 5

On 1/6/2022 at 3:14 PM, jean87510 said:

Which is the reason why the OP is sharing information.  There were at least 2 posts on cruise critic about 2 situations of testing positive for covid.  One was Barcelona I believe.  One may have been Florida.  The Barcelona one RCCL put up in a hotel with a food budget.  The other was flown home on a jet.  So the assumption was RCCL would at least help you. NOT the case in Barbados.  I get what you are saying.  And you are correct.  One must always be prepared.  Which is why I cancelled my 2/20/22 cruise.  

Edited:  When you see this on their web page, what does one think?  

Screenshot_20220106-151834_Chrome_kindlephoto-6182502.jpg

Why are other people and the media not going after Royal?  The stated policy was for Royal to pay all expenses, including even up to a private jet home.  Why are we now accepting of this crap and blaming the victims?  Royal should be protecting us, the customer, not themselves first!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gkbiiii said:

Why are other people and the media not going after Royal?  The stated policy was for Royal to pay all expenses, including even up to a private jet home.  Why are we now accepting of this crap and blaming the victims?  Royal should be protecting us, the customer, not themselves first!

I agree with you.  Just so we are clear, in no way am I blaming the customer.  I think this was a perfect storm of circumstances:  Omicron outbreak, difficulties finding tests due to the holidays both gatherings and travel, 24 hour PCR test results taking 3-5 days, incompetent and uninformed medical staff at airport checking tests and causing more issues by cramming too many people in a small area and probably causing more problems.  I firmly believe one person, an incompetent and uninformed nurse at the airport caused a lot of problems from her stupidity in not understanding or researching what a RT PCR test was.  Hopefully she has been replaced.  

5 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

The Harrison Point facility is where seriously ill Barbados residents have quarantined throughout the pandemic. It was never designed for use by tourists and cruise passengers.  Before running this facility down perhaps we should put our hands together and thank the almighty that we live in places where the options are better.

There are plenty of YouTube videos/reports from Barbados residents praising this facility.  It really shouldn't be insulted because we think it doesn't meet our first world expectations.

Regarding private quarantine in Barbados, a trip to their Government site lists hotel accommodation for this purpose as st one point visitors were required to book in advance before arrival.  

Any cruise passengers, from any country, travelling in a pandemic should surely have full travel insurance and need not worry about having to quarantine if unwell.  RC have updated their terms of carriage and appear to now been in line with most other cruise lines.  Good quality travel insurance is surely the way to go here as your insurance provider assumedly is in charge of where you quarantine.

your travel insurance means absolutely nothing when you have security pulling you towards transportation to take you to a quarantine facility.  You are at the mercy of their rules.  I saw it at the airport.  I am glad that RCCL has acknowledged the issue.  Im just sorry that people had to suffer.  There was no private hotels for these folks.  They had to go the facility.  And pay for the tests and the transportation...etc... in cash.  There are no receipts for travel insurance.  Which is why I will be cruising from the USA from now on.

• Like 2

This list is far from exhaustive and is at today but you will note that one of the world's most exclusive hotels, Sandy Lane is on the list.

According to the UK government site (I assume the US would have its equivalent) also as at today you may be asked to be go to Harrison Point if you need to quarantine or your paperwork is considered not  in order. If there is a misunderstanding on the Barbados regulations they surely have the right to question people and ask they obey their rules.  They may not be to our liking but it is their country, their rules. Your own country has entry rules, as does mine, why should we question another country's set up or insuit them ?  As you say if it's not suitable for us we shouldn't go, but it doesn't give us or anyone else the right to rubbish an entire country and its population.

I transited through Bridgetown Airport and port on 17th December and 31 December.  The staff were polite and helpful, albeit a little hassled by people sometimes not having the right paperwork. And yes, I was joining a cruise, not an RC one but one run by a British cruise line who have had an excellent relationship with the Island of Barbados for many year,

Approved Quarantine Hotels
  • Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
  • All Seasons Resort Europa 
  • Atlantis Historic Inn
  • Beach View
  • Blue Horizon
  • Blue Orchid Beach
  • Bougainvillea Beach Resort
  • Butterfly Beach
  • Cobblers Cove
  • Coconut Court Beach
  • Colony Club
  • Coral Mist Beach
  • Coral Reef Club
  • Courtyard by Marriott
  • Crystal Cove
  • Divi Southwinds Beach Resort
  • Dover Beach
  • Fairmont Royal Pavilion
  • Golden Sands Apt.
  • Hilton Barbados
  • Infinity on the Beach
  • Island Inn
  • Little Arches
  • Little Good Harbour
  • Maxwell Del Mar
  • Mango Bay
  • Ocean 15
  • O2 Beach Club & Spa (Ocean Two Resort)
  • Palm Garden
  • Palms Resort/Travellers Palm
  • Port Ferdinand
  • Radisson Aquatica Resort Barbados
  • Rostrevor
  • Royal Westmoreland - Golf Cottages # 1-6
  • Royal Westmoreland - Lancaster Drive # 12 & 20
  • Royal Westmoreland - Royal Palm Villas #1-7
  • Royal Westmoreland - Sugar Cane Mews # 2 & 3
  • Royal Westmoreland - Sugar Cane Ridge #5, 7 & 14
  • Royal Westmoreland - Royal Apartments # 114, 123, 132, 211, 212, 213, 214, 221, 224, 231, 233, 311, 312, 313, 314, 321, 322, 324, 331 & 333
  • Saint Peter’s Bay
  • Sandals Barbados Resort & Spa/ Sandals Royal
  • Sandy Lane
  • Savannah Beach
  • Sea Breeze Beach House
  • Soco
  • South Beach
  • South Gap Hotel
  • Southern Palms Beach Club

Edited by Megabear2

The RCCL message about cancelling is very carefully worded ,it tals about refunding the cruise fare.I am booked on the 30th January and enquired about cancelling.

I was told you can cancel but your airfare is not refundable ,despite the fact that I booked it through RCCL.That is not a gesture to put people's minds at rest.

I really don't know what to do now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, philhar said:

The RCCL message about cancelling is very carefully worded ,it tals about refunding the cruise fare.I am booked on the 30th January and enquired about cancelling.

I was told you can cancel but your airfare is not refundable ,despite the fact that I booked it through RCCL.That is not a gesture to put people's minds at rest.

I really don't know what to do now.

Every day that passes and every story I read I lose faith and trust in the cruise line industry 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Every day that passes and every story I read I lose faith and trust in the cruise line industry 

Unfortunately, for every negative story there is also a positive one.  It would be nice if the same rules applied to all.  I do feel for the industry for sure, these are crazy times, for both them and THEIR customers.  Has not soured me on cruising, though I have cancelled my 2022 cruises and moved to a B2B2B2B for 2023, one can only hope that it will be much different by then for cruising!  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

This list is far from exhaustive and is at today but you will note that one of the world's most exclusive hotels, Sandy Lane is on the list.

According to the UK government site (I assume the US would have its equivalent) also as at today you may be asked to be go to Harrison Point if you need to quarantine or your paperwork is considered not  in order. If there is a misunderstanding on the Barbados regulations they surely have the right to question people and ask they obey their rules.  They may not be to our liking but it is their country, their rules. Your own country has entry rules, as does mine, why should we question another country's set up or insuit them ?  As you say if it's not suitable for us we shouldn't go, but it doesn't give us or anyone else the right to rubbish an entire country and its population.

I transited through Bridgetown Airport and port on 17th December and 31 December.  The staff were polite and helpful, albeit a little hassled by people sometimes not having the right paperwork. And yes, I was joining a cruise, not an RC one but one run by a British cruise line who have had an excellent relationship with the Island of Barbados for many year,

Approved Quarantine Hotels
  • Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
  • All Seasons Resort Europa 
  • Atlantis Historic Inn
  • Beach View
  • Blue Horizon
  • Blue Orchid Beach
  • Bougainvillea Beach Resort
  • Butterfly Beach
  • Cobblers Cove
  • Coconut Court Beach
  • Colony Club
  • Coral Mist Beach
  • Coral Reef Club
  • Courtyard by Marriott
  • Crystal Cove
  • Divi Southwinds Beach Resort
  • Dover Beach
  • Fairmont Royal Pavilion
  • Golden Sands Apt.
  • Hilton Barbados
  • Infinity on the Beach
  • Island Inn
  • Little Arches
  • Little Good Harbour
  • Maxwell Del Mar
  • Mango Bay
  • Ocean 15
  • O2 Beach Club & Spa (Ocean Two Resort)
  • Palm Garden
  • Palms Resort/Travellers Palm
  • Port Ferdinand
  • Radisson Aquatica Resort Barbados
  • Rostrevor
  • Royal Westmoreland - Golf Cottages # 1-6
  • Royal Westmoreland - Lancaster Drive # 12 & 20
  • Royal Westmoreland - Royal Palm Villas #1-7
  • Royal Westmoreland - Sugar Cane Mews # 2 & 3
  • Royal Westmoreland - Sugar Cane Ridge #5, 7 & 14
  • Royal Westmoreland - Royal Apartments # 114, 123, 132, 211, 212, 213, 214, 221, 224, 231, 233, 311, 312, 313, 314, 321, 322, 324, 331 & 333
  • Saint Peter’s Bay
  • Sandals Barbados Resort & Spa/ Sandals Royal
  • Sandy Lane
  • Savannah Beach
  • Sea Breeze Beach House
  • Soco
  • South Beach
  • South Gap Hotel
  • Southern Palms Beach Club

the problem was one person who would not accept tests.  On the Barbados tourism site as well as RCCL it clearly states RT PCR tests are accepted.  IF they don't want certain labs, tests, then put it on the website.  Why put travelers through all of the BS at the airport unnecessarily?  Dont accept the tests on your BIM app. 

• Like 1

Perhaps if RC are going to offer fly cruises to places such as Barbados and Costa Rica they should properly prepare the guests with information about how crowded a small airport may be and how it may not be as efficient other a major countries.

In fairness I travel to the US quite a lot, not since the pandemic admittedly, normally travelling into Dallas, Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach or JFK.  My normal processing time through all these airports is around 2 hours 30 minutes though I have on occasion taken more than 4 hours to clear a tourist airport such as Orlando.  I would guess, please correct me if I'm wrong, that these times are extended due to Covid checking etc? Here at home in UK passengers using London Heathrow at one point had queues of up to 5 hours.

None of this is acceptable but it is happening worldwide I'm afraid. Sadly international travel is going to be stressful for some time no matter where we go.  You at least can cruise from your home country without risk as an alternative. Here in Europe we can't even guarantee we will end up in our home countries when we board a ship, there are people offloaded and scattered all around the Mediterranean and Atlantic Islands.

I hope you recover from your experience quickly and enjoy your next cruise whenever and wherever it happens.

Edited by Megabear2
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Perhaps if RC are going to offer fly cruises to places such as Barbados and Costa Rica they should properly prepare the guests with information about how crowded a small airport may be and how it may not be as efficient other a major countries.

In fairness I travel to the US quite a lot, not since the pandemic admittedly, normally travelling into Dallas, Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach or JFK.  My normal processing time through all these airports is around 2 hours 30 minutes though I have on occasion taken more than 4 hours to clear a tourist airport such as Orlando.  I would guess, please correct me if I'm wrong, that these times are extended due to Covid checking etc? Here at home in UK passengers using London Heathrow at one point had queues of up to 5 hours.

None of this is acceptable but it is happening worldwide I'm afraid. Sadly international travel is going to be stressful for some time no matter where we go.  You at least can cruise from your home country without risk as an alternative. Here in Europe we can't even guarantee we will end up in our home countries when we board a ship, there are people offloaded and scattered all around the Mediterranean and Atlantic Islands.

I hope you recover from your experience quickly and enjoy your next cruise whenever and wherever it happens.

We intend to!!  Actually my husband just reminded me UNITED checked our tests before we flew to Barbados.  Why wouldn't they have said hey wrong tests, right?

Sorry to say but whats happening - People, travel groups/company's, Gov'ts are not letting a good crisis go to waste! They are gouging and charging crazy prizes. Disgusting and brutal! Follow the money!

We cancelled our Grandeur OTS Island Hop cruise for Feb last week and switched it with one at same time. 

• Like 1

It's the so called free market. Caribbean islands are notoriously expensive for everything so high prices are inevitable especially with places like Barbados being a rich man's plaything.

Mind you my most expensive experience was in Grand Cayman where I watched a lady buy a box of 10 fish fingers (sticks) and pay $20 and that was in 2015!!