Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

6 hours ago, kml246 said:

No idea, we're not cruising to Canada. Just posted info about the video testing so people are aware of that option for many cruises.

Makes no difference to me who requires the test.  It's required, and there's a deadline.   I don't even know where the camera is on my laptop, much less what to do with it.  Nobody seems to understand that people who are unfamiliar with phones and the finer points of a computer need at least some basic knowledge of how to do the process.  I can't just sit down and start banging around, hoping for the best.   Maybe I can just hire a teenager at the hotel to tell me what to do, huh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Makes no difference to me who requires the test.  It's required, and there's a deadline.   I don't even know where the camera is on my laptop, much less what to do with it.  Nobody seems to understand that people who are unfamiliar with phones and the finer points of a computer need at least some basic knowledge of how to do the process.  I can't just sit down and start banging around, hoping for the best.   Maybe I can just hire a teenager at the hotel to tell me what to do, huh?

So true. I cant zoom at home for HOA meetings so for sure can’t get it to work at a hotel using their wifi which may not have the best connection 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jsn55 said:

3 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

So true. I cant zoom at home for HOA meetings so for sure can’t get it to work at a hotel using their wifi which may not have the best connection 

I agree. If you're not comfortable with technology or unfamiliar with the process, then the tele-monitored testing is not for you. If you are, it's much easier than wasting time trying to find a testing center in an unfamiliar city. 

We've done the tele-monitored testing several times over the last year. Unfortunately, on our Regal Princess cruise that leaves Barcelona on 9/24, we don't have that option as Greece requires an in-person test. We had to find a location in Barcelona and use up sightseeing time to go get the test. 

The joys of cruising in a pandemic! 

Kevin

• Like 3

13 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I do not know if this will help or not, but am offering this information as a potential starting point for you.  DH was selected for the mandatory COVID-19 test when we arrived in BC last month.  Included in the generic email notifying him of what he needed to do to get it done were links depending upon which province you were in, and for Quebec, the government was referring passengers to contact Biron.  That website is 

https://travel.biron.ca

Even if you cannot book a test directly with them, perhaps they can give you suggestions for another local option.  🤞🏻

• Like 2

5 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Finally!  Someone who UNDERSTANDS ME!!!  Those of us who disdain most garbage on phones and social media really resent being forced to deal with stuff we don't understand and really don't want to deal with.  Doesn't anyone realize that this DIY stuff is here so travel providers can pay fewer employees?  I find that annoying.  My fave response is someone who had no problem doing a virtual test at a condo.  Well, a condo is NOT a hotel and the internet is probably much more reliable.  Thank you, coo!

Edited by jsn55
typo
  • Like 2

When using a video proctor does the test kit have to stay visible all the time? My PC desk is 18" deep, easy to do a zoom and see my face and upper body but not so easy to see me, desktop, kit all at the same time. Might have to use iPad on kitchen table.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

We used our IPhone at a hotel in London and it worked great.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

When using a video proctor does the test kit have to stay visible all the time? My PC desk is 18" deep, easy to do a zoom and see my face and upper body but not so easy to see me, desktop, kit all at the same time. Might have to use iPad on kitchen table.

Based on my experience, if the proctor cannot see the test, they will tell you to keep tilting the camera on your device until they can.  I have done tests using both PC and iPad, and it was easier on the iPad because, as you surmised, the PC had to be manually held at the tilted angle for the proctor’s field of view to include the test kit, but it is do-able.  HTH.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kml246 said:

I agree. If you're not comfortable with technology or unfamiliar with the process, then the tele-monitored testing is not for you. If you are, it's much easier than wasting time trying to find a testing center in an unfamiliar city. 

We've done the tele-monitored testing several times over the last year. Unfortunately, on our Regal Princess cruise that leaves Barcelona on 9/24, we don't have that option as Greece requires an in-person test. We had to find a location in Barcelona and use up sightseeing time to go get the test. 

Kevin

We will have to find a pharmacy in Civitavecchia or either have Princess do the test (if they are still doing it) for our 26 October cruise  - has ports in Greece

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kamelia said:

Based on my experience, if the proctor cannot see the test, they will tell you to keep tilting the camera on your device until they can.  I have done tests using both PC and iPad, and it was easier on the iPad because, as you surmised, the PC had to be manually held at the tilted angle for the proctor’s field of view to include the test kit, but it is do-able.  HTH.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

We will have to find a pharmacy in Civitavecchia or either have Princess do the test (if they are still doing it) for our 26 October cruise  - has ports in Greece

Let's hope they'll end the testing before then!

• Like 2

On 9/12/2022 at 10:41 AM, Tedferg said:

I've cruised many times since the restart and buy the Emed test kits by the 6 pack!  I've tried the test with phone, ipad and laptop, and found the easiest way is to set the laptop on a coffee table, and sit on the ground so you are even with the laptop screen.  Yes the test will need to be in the view of the proctor, and you will need to open the test kit while it is in view of them, so trying to hold an iPad really doesn't work unless you have 2 people.  

But haven't had any issues when using coffee table scenario - must admit learned it from my daughter, but it makes life very easy!

We'll be leaving in 3 weeks and I've seen 2 different answers to the question:  1. I need to take a picture of my covid vax. 2. I don't need to.  HELP!  Which is it without having to read 92 pages of info about it. 🤪  We will be cruising From Calif to Mexico. 

8 minutes ago, JsMom2 said:

I've cruised many times since the restart and buy the Emed test kits by the 6 pack!  I've tried the test with phone, ipad and laptop, and found the easiest way is to set the laptop on a coffee table, and sit on the ground so you are even with the laptop screen.  Yes the test will need to be in the view of the proctor, and you will need to open the test kit while it is in view of them, so trying to hold an iPad really doesn't work unless you have 2 people.  

But haven't had any issues when using coffee table scenario - must admit learned it from my daughter, but it makes life very easy!

Thanks, we have stand for IPad and will use that on dining table. Will do a dry run beforehand.

21 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Thanks, we have stand for IPad and will use that on dining table. Will do a dry run beforehand.

ETA: Glad I did a dry run, I imagined having camera reversed and looking towards me, doing the test on my own. With iPad on stand, camera looking away, as you would to take a photo, it works fine. DW will sit opposite to me to make sure the test and I are centered correctly.

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

ETA: Glad I did a dry run, I imagined having camera reversed and looking towards me, doing the test on my own. With iPad on stand, camera looking away, as you would to take a photo, it works fine. DW will sit opposite to me to make sure the test and I are centered correctly.

Just FYI, when we have done the proctored tests, the proctor had us use the rear-facing camera to scan the QR code on the test kit, both before and after the test, so make sure you have easy access to that as well.

2 hours ago, ChrisB123 said:

We'll be leaving in 3 weeks and I've seen 2 different answers to the question:  1. I need to take a picture of my covid vax. 2. I don't need to.  HELP!  Which is it without having to read 92 pages of info about it. 🤪  We will be cruising From Calif to Mexico. 

I assume they want you to have it on your phone.  If that's not possible for some reason, they should take a paper copy, or the original.  This stuff is important, you should not be relying on internet forums for answers.  You will have to read the instructions from your cruise line or the authorities in charge of your departure port.  If it's done done just right, you could be denied boarding. 

4 hours ago, ChrisB123 said:

This is from the Princess website;

From the US:

You need to bring all your documents to the port. The first line it says to bring them so there’s no problem.  Also, if you want, in addition to that you can upload it to the App.  The problem is, if you lost your phone, or you couldn’t get it up  on your phone….then you have the original vax card. 

Here’s the verbage:  FAQ Princess 

What documents do I need to bring with me in order to sail?

It’s important to remember to bring all your documents so that there are no issues at embarkation and you’re able to sail.

For most voyages, guests simply upload their proof of vaccination into our MedallionClass app while getting OceanReady with no testing requirement. Guests must have received their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before the beginning of the cruise. Boosters are highly recommended for those eligible.

On voyages where self-testing is accepted, guests must upload a photo of their negative self-test while they are in the process of getting OceanReady. Guests should write their name and test date on a piece of paper, place the negative test on the paper, and take a photograph of this on a mobile device. Please be prepared to show the image, if required

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1

Thanks for replies on proctored testing / camera / iPad.

FYI we are using On Point and ordered two tests, DW and me, we both registered but only have one time slot. On Point confirmed that we will both be tested on same device same time slot, so I guess tests are consecutive.

• Like 2

On 9/12/2022 at 7:56 AM, kml246 said:

Kevin

Speaking of the in-person test requirements from Greece, has anyone noticed that all COVID related travel entry restrictions were lifted by Greece as of May 1, 2022 according to multiple government websites:

https://travel.gov.gr/#/

https://gr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

https://reopen.europa.eu/en/from-to/OTC/GRC

However, Princess is still saying on their website that Greece requires an in-person test. I wonder if there's some kind of disconnect. I tried to raise this question to Princess through their Live Chat but was asked to call customer service/reservations instead. I haven't heard back from Princess 2 hours after queuing up on their call-back service.

4 minutes ago, syymisc said:

Speaking of the in-person test requirements from Greece, has anyone noticed that all COVID related travel entry restrictions were lifted by Greece as of May 1, 2022 according to multiple government websites:

However, Princess is still saying on their website that Greece requires an in-person test. I wonder if there's some kind of disconnect. I tried to raise this question to Princess through their Live Chat but was asked to call customer service/reservations instead. I haven't heard back from Princess 2 hours after queuing up on their call-back service.

Other cruise lines have this requirement for Greece, too. It's ridiculous, but that's what Princess is requiring as of today. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, syymisc said:

Princess isn't alone.  Celebrity and NCL have similar requirement... probably others, I didn't check

• Like 1

1 hour ago, syymisc said:

What has become apparent is that Greece has "secret" (hidden at least) requirements for cruises.  Unfortunately, we don't get to see those to read an analyze for ourselves.

1 hour ago, kml246 said:

Other cruise lines have this requirement for Greece, too. It's ridiculous, but that's what Princess is requiring as of today. 

Not quite.  No other cruise line has had as onerous a requirements as Princess.  I do not keep checking this, so I am open to being corrected.

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

Princess isn't alone.  Celebrity and NCL have similar requirement... probably others, I didn't check

Similar, perhaps, insofaras a test is required to board.  But no one else is forcing an in-person test.  No one else has a test for a cruise ending in Greece.  And certainly not all lines have a test for a voyage with just port stops in Greece.  Similarity ends in my mind outside of voyages that depart from Greece (embarkation).

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I've posted this before probably earlier in this thread - if one looks at the greek govt points item 6 is about private yachts (with similar wording) and item 7 says (highlights are mine).   So clearly there are some specific requirements for ships - but not specified online on their site:

"7. What is the situation with cruise ships?

As of 14.05.2021, cruise restrictions have been completely removed, always imposing very strict protocols that apply to these activities."
  • Like 1