What type of "Service Dog" is this?

While I haven't read all the post, there are people who will always try "work the system" due to a sense of entitlement.

On one of our cruises (many years ago) I noticed a grey haired woman possibly in her 70's (I am one now but color my grey), receive priority boarding sitting in a wheel chair she was pushed up the ramps and onto the ship. One day later, not only was she walking all over the ship, she was dancing the night away for the entire 7 days.  The morning of disembarkation, she was back in the wheelchair. 

I was so infuriated that she would use this tactic to work the system, I walked right up to her and made her well aware of what she did was despicable!!!!  I was really taken by surprise when others who heard me applauded.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MadameGorgeous said:

Where do the dogs poop and pee while on board? I just read the whole thread to find out?  🍿 

On the Jewel there's a place on deck five forward near the stairs to the helipad.  A square of green stuff and a trash can.

29 minutes ago, MadameGorgeous said:

Where do the dogs poop and pee while on board? I just read the whole thread to find out?  🍿 

The standard answer here on Cruise Critic is:  The poop deck, of course.

But the real answer is that RC sets up a "comfort station", which is a fixed location on each ship, but the different ships have their own specific locations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

While I haven't read all the post, there are people who will always try "work the system" due to a sense of entitlement.

On one of our cruises (many years ago) I noticed a grey haired woman possibly in her 70's (I am one now but color my grey), receive priority boarding sitting in a wheel chair she was pushed up the ramps and onto the ship. One day later, not only was she walking all over the ship, she was dancing the night away for the entire 7 days.  The morning of disembarkation, she was back in the wheelchair. 

I was so infuriated that she would use this tactic to work the system, I walked right up to her and made her well aware of what she did was despicable!!!!  I was really taken by surprise when others who heard me applauded.

I saw something similar at Walt Disney World.  A group of young people rented a wheel chair to get ahead of the line with their group, and to get on the hotel buses while others stood in a long line.  I saw them at the hotel taking turns on the wheelchair and running around and doing “wheelies”.  Disgusting.

• Like 1

Fake service dogs are a huge danger to real ones. 

My youngest son has a service dog. She has cruised a few times. One misconception I saw here is about handling and petting  - especially for dogs for children. These dogs are normally a “team” that consists of the dog, adult handler and the child. So you would definitely see me bringing the dog through the ship without my son (who uses a wheelchair) when I was taking her potty for example. It’s already a long walk to some out-of-the-way location and dragging a wheelchair through a crowded ship and multiple elevators to take the dog potty wouldn’t happen

Second, dogs trained for children often serve as a social bridge for that child. Instead of being the left out kid on the playground, you are now the kid with the dog. As such, if we aren’t trying to get somewhere, we would definitely allow and encourage other kids to pet the dog to bring kids over to my son. Dogs for kids even get trained on tricks like “shake” and “high five” just for this reason. 

69921545-9C6F-4D18-BE3A-912AA7873D89.jpeg

Edited by denas
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

On 1/14/2022 at 4:15 PM, MadameGorgeous said:

They have a box set up on a public deck forward/aft near a stair well. It’s like a kiddie pool with wood chips. Smokers sometimes decide it’s a good place for buts which is annoying because the smell can cause dogs to not want to use it. Service dogs are trained to go potty on command. The owner will bag up the solids and there is usually a little diaper pail thing to put those in. 

• Like 3

On 1/14/2022 at 2:49 PM, Loracpin2 said:

That is like when flying, count the number of people who board in a wheelchair versus the number who disembark using a wheel chair.

I have breathing and back issues.  So on a couple of recent trips, due to short time, long walk connections, I asked for transport.  But once at the gate I got out and walked on board.  AT MY ASSIGNED BOARDING GROUP, not early boarding.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2022 at 7:00 AM, Mabbiez said:

There are a couple of things about service dogs that people do not realize. I will try to help clarify.

1. There is no registration in the US for service dogs. Any website you can get one off is 100% fake and a scam. Someone providing a registration either has a fake service dog or they are new to having a service dog and do not understand the laws. The requirements is that you have a disability that has a need and the dog must be trained to do tasks for that disability. 

2. Service dogs do not have to be with their owners 24/7, sometimes depending on the disability. Sometimes the handler needs a break, and sometimes the dog needs a break. This very much depends on the situation. This is why you may see a handler without their dog from time to time. It does not mean they are not a real service dog.

3. This one is hard do explain, but service dogs are still dogs. They sometimes will make a mistake, like possibly get spooked by something and bark. They need also need time to play and be a dog. That being said, if a dog is constantly barking or not under the handler's control then that is a problem. That dog may still be a service dog but not trained for public access. 

4. Any breed of dog can be a service dog. What matters is the dog's temperament and the ability to perform the tasks that the handler needs for their disability. For example: If the handler is needing help with mobility then a small dog would not be fit for a service dog. A handler who needs a diabetic alert dog could possibly use a smaller dog. When my dog was in training there was someone else who had a pit bull being trained to be a seizure alert dog. He was WONDERFUL with her. He was being trained as an in home service dog. I personally have a golden retriever. They are more accepted by the public as a service dog because of the misconception that it has to be a golden/lab/poodle. 

If you have any questions about service dogs I will be happy to help answer them! That being said, I only know the US Laws. Some countries have VERY different laws on service/guide animals. Also there is a very informative thread under Cruising with a Disability that has a ton of information about service dogs. It has been going on for many many years!

Also I must add: the dog is not necessarily required to be at your side 24x7. They are animals and they do need rest, so if a person doesn't have an immediate need for their presence (example: a sensing dog for a person who has a relative or close friend present) then they can indeed be allowed to nap in a cabin for a few minutes. The flip side is also true: an assistance dog might be present for some activities where they are not strictly needed, simply because they're needed for some other activity immediately before or after. For example: do I need my Hearing Ear dog while I shop for groceries or read lips through a lengthy sales presentation? No, not really. But driving in an unfamiliar place? Yes, I do.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2022 at 11:03 AM, DerekB said:

I see some calling for cruise lines to take a stand against fake service animals. The problem is that it is insanely difficult (and risky) to do so. Although I don't have a background in the cruise industry - I once served as the Air Carrier Access Act compliance officer for a major airline. Issues like this were so touchy (and expensive if handled incorrectly) that only 2 people for the entire airline had permission to deny boarding to a customer on the basis of a disability (including a service animal). 

Over the phone the customer is going to paint a rosey picture of a perfectly behaved & trained service animal. They will do the same during check-in. It isn't until the plane takes off (or ship sets sail) that they let down the sharade. By then there is not much you can do about it. 

From the other side of the equation, as a passenger I have to jump through a ridiculous number of hoops, well in advance, to ensure that the airline knows my service dog is a service dog. Last time I flew, I had to submit a letter of reference, proof of documented disability, and evidence that my animal had passed a formal training program that included a public access test. All this documentation had to be submitted a month before my flight. I don't have the same right that other people have, to just pay for a ticket and jump on a plane at the last minute. When my parents pass away, I'm going to have a lot of difficulty getting to the funeral because of the ridiculous hoop jumping with the airlines.

There are some countries I don't even have the right to travel, because I can't bring my Hearing Ear dog. This is because there's a predatory organization called ADI (Assistance Dogs International) that has successfully lobbied to ensure that only service animals trained by its "member" organizations (who jump through hoops and pay sizable fees for the privilege) are admitted to the country. Sounds great, right? Good quality control? Well, if there aren't any training organizations that have this dubious accreditation within reasonable distance, guess what: you paid several thousand dollars for a trained dog, but you still don't get to travel. (Some of the ADI accredited training companies do not in fact provide a dog; they simply keep your money and are basically engaged in large scale fraud.)

If you live in the state of New Mexico and travel with a Hearing Ear dog, you are barred from entering all ADI controlled countries such as Japan or Australia. There are no ADI accredited trainers who train Hearing Ear dogs in the state of New Mexico. At least one organization has paid ADI for accreditation but ADI has accepted the money but not performed its share of the inspection process therefore the training organization is not yet accredited and might not ever be. Since an ADI accredited dog is not available, we can't travel. We're used to being second-class citizens, but I do wish ADI would take a long walk. It's doing so much harm to so many people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, squeaky_1974 said:

From the other side of the equation, as a passenger I have to jump through a ridiculous number of hoops, well in advance, to ensure that the airline knows my service dog is a service dog.

I'm confused as to why you had to provide all this information. It seems that every time I fly I see lots of dogs in the airport, some in carriers, some on leashes, but I doubt they are all "service animals". I highly doubt they all had to provide a ton of documentation.

I was in the security line at LAX and there was a tongue licking the back of my leg, behind my knee. And I jumped. Startled. I slightly turned and there was a golden retriever behind me. I sort of absentmindedly scratched her head and turned back. Her owner said, "Please don't pet her"

I turned further around and realized she was a Guide Dog. I said, "Sorry, she was licking the back of my leg". 

He said, "Oh. Well, you must have very nice legs then." :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• CC Help Jenn locked and unlocked this topic
  • 2 years later...
On 1/11/2022 at 10:11 AM, CaroleSS said:

True Service dogs are highly trained.....and many times you don't even notice they are around. They don't bark (unless that is their notification), they don't sit in grocery carts, they don't poop/pee on the floor, and they don't try to bite a hand that gets near them.

A huge tell-tale sign is if the owner lets you pet them. You do NOT pet a service dog while they are working! If the owner lets you pet their dog, it is most likely an ESA or a pet.

I love my dogs, they are part of my family, but people who take Fifi on a cruise or to the grocery store with them are breaking the law and only make it more difficult for the TRUE service dogs. It is time to clamp down on the fakes!

I do understand that it is difficult to discover/prove that the dog isn't a true service dog.....HIPAA and all, but it can be done!

When my service dog is “off duty” I allow people to pet him. 80% of people are aware they need to ask first. I am not going to yell at a child or parent in front of their child if they come over and pet him while I am not observing (which is 99% of the time, I do not have to keep my eyes on him) I do not always have his “service dog” vest on because I am not required to, and I do not like to advertise that I am disabled, if people want to think he is a “pet” do be it. There are people that ask “how is he allowed here” THOSE people I will tell he is a service dog, those are the only people I tell he is a service dog. Do I “break the rules” as far as doing things I was told by the trainers not to do. As long as it doesn’t affect his task training or behavior. Yes I do because my belief is, for what that dog GIVES ME. And freedom I have because that dog is in my life. I will give that dog the best life I can give him because he deserves that. How would you feel if you had no choice on your life other than work? He gets as much “off duty” as I can give him. If people want to pet him, it does not affect him or myself in any way, 100% of the time he completely ignores them, being pet isn’t even a “treat” for him but it does make my life less confrontational (why am I going to yell at someone “ DONT TOUCH HIM” if I don’t have to. As far as feeding him from the table, I will order him his own rib eye steak, I cut it into pieces and sneak it to him under the table, he just lays there and again, he doesn’t even react to it or beg for it, he knows better. THAT IS A TRUE SERVICE DOG nothing at all phases them, everything and everyone is ignored because his focus is always on ME. THATS what he’s there for MY NEEDS. I will give him the best life I can give him! He deserves that! Look where his eyes are focused in this picture

862BA5B3-38DE-4680-8AF1-0B20BB95A8D5.jpeg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DogDad27 said:

THAT IS A TRUE SERVICE DOG nothing at all phases them, everything and everyone is ignored because his focus is always on ME. THATS what he’s there for MY NEEDS.

Welcome to CC.

image.jpeg.77e55bfe5674cac1493ca65eccaa0aa2.jpeg

• Haha 3

I for one wish there was some definite way for airlines and cruiselines to absolutely verify that these are legitimate service dogs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DogDad27 said:

When my service dog is “off duty” I allow people to pet him. 80% of people are aware they need to ask first. I am not going to yell at a child or parent in front of their child if they come over and pet him while I am not observing (which is 99% of the time, I do not have to keep my eyes on him) I do not always have his “service dog” vest on because I am not required to, and I do not like to advertise that I am disabled, if people want to think he is a “pet” do be it. There are people that ask “how is he allowed here” THOSE people I will tell he is a service dog, those are the only people I tell he is a service dog. Do I “break the rules” as far as doing things I was told by the trainers not to do. As long as it doesn’t affect his task training or behavior. Yes I do because my belief is, for what that dog GIVES ME. And freedom I have because that dog is in my life. I will give that dog the best life I can give him because he deserves that. How would you feel if you had no choice on your life other than work? He gets as much “off duty” as I can give him. If people want to pet him, it does not affect him or myself in any way, 100% of the time he completely ignores them, being pet isn’t even a “treat” for him but it does make my life less confrontational (why am I going to yell at someone “ DONT TOUCH HIM” if I don’t have to. As far as feeding him from the table, I will order him his own rib eye steak, I cut it into pieces and sneak it to him under the table, he just lays there and again, he doesn’t even react to it or beg for it, he knows better. THAT IS A TRUE SERVICE DOG nothing at all phases them, everything and everyone is ignored because his focus is always on ME. THATS what he’s there for MY NEEDS. I will give him the best life I can give him! He deserves that! Look where his eyes are focused in this picture

The eyes on me comment was a joke… 

4 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I for one wish there was some definite way for airlines and cruiselines to absolutely verify that these are legitimate service dogs.

There is no license , ID, Verification available other than the fake ones you buy I on Amazon. WHICH I MYSELF bought just to

shut the people up (Karen’s) THAT have comments to make to me or within an earshot of me. They see that fake thing that LOOKS official and say “oh that  really is a service dog” you know why BECAUSE THEY THINK THEY KNOW EVERYTHING.

NOBODY including service dog

owners do not know the entire encyclopedia on service dogs. Because everyone’s disability (even if the same) has nothing to do with your specific dog. Same way people are different so are dogs. No 2 are the same. A lot of service dogs need a “correction” because they’re like a child with ADD a quick reminder “not supposed to do that” when people see that they ASSUME it’s not a service dog. Some even wear E-Collars because the handler don’t want to be verbal on their correction. My guy will get distracted and pull a little when he sees another dog. I have to say a quick “UT” and he’s right back in place. 
They are still an animal. People have children that forget the rules don’t they? What makes people think a dog is any different. It’s like a child that knows what they are allowed to do and what not to do. But occasionally don’t listen to what daddy told them until they get told “you don’t do that” 

this is a long reply because I’m hoping to educate people that think the know EVERYTHING about a service dog..
here is the 1 THING NONE OF THEM will do! They will not bite no matter what someone does to them!! Playful biting with the handler YES, viscous bite to harm. Only if another ANIMAL is harming them. Even then they will only snap at it if it continues to HURT them. Other than that. Anything else is possible. THEY ARE STILL ANIMALS. NOT ALL RULES APPLY TO EVERY SINGLE ONE. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DogDad27 said:

You want to know something else, we just take anything anyone has a comment about with a grain of salt because if we had to take the time to explain (even in comments) it’s not worth the energy, the ONLY reason I am taking the time now is because I WANT an answer and with the hopes someone reads everything I wrote I won’t have to page through 500 Comments before I can see my answer. If you knew how many times I have said in real life “that’s not my dog” you would die. Because we are asked THE SAME QUESTIONS OVER AND OVER. Some People are rude enough to come over to you while you are eating AND have food in your mouth to talk about the dog. 

• Like 1