What type of "Service Dog" is this?

13 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Your source clearly states that several airlines have a policy to create a buffer zone. In any event, it is still at the discretion of the flight crew. What are you going to do, fight with the crew about it? I've been told not to consume peanuts by some of the airlines that do not have a policy.

"Several" Jetblue says you can "request a buffer zone" and Spirit "can create a buffer zone where peanuts are not sold."  Not a single US airline provides for a blanket ban of peanuts, that you claimed. 

Airline crews are not permitted (by policy) to make up their own rules. True, you are required to follow instructions from crews, however they are not going to suddenly make up their own "no peanut" rule. If crews were permitted to make up their own rules as they see fit then it would create even more conflict from angry passengers who are upset that either a rule doesn't apply on their flight that did on a previous, or visa versa. It would be a mess. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DerekB said:

"Several" Jetblue says you can "request a buffer zone" and Spirit "can create a buffer zone where peanuts are not sold."  Not a single US airline provides for a blanket ban of peanuts, that you claimed. 

Airline crews are not permitted (by policy) to make up their own rules. True, you are required to follow instructions from crews, however they are not going to suddenly make up their own "no peanut" rule. If crews were permitted to make up their own rules as they see fit then it would create even more conflict from angry passengers who are upset that either a rule doesn't apply on their flight that did on a previous, or visa versa. It would be a mess. 

I never claimed "blanket ban." "No peanuts permitted" in the buffer zones. I should have qualified but I never said blanket ban. Airlines can always provide reasonable accommodations for peanut allergies if they so choose. It is at the discretion of the flight crew. I have never argued with them about it, it is not worth it.

If someone has a legitimate peanut allergy, I will respect it. If someone has a legitimate need for a service animal, I will respect it. The problem is with those who do not have legitimate needs.

5 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I never claimed "blanket ban." "No peanuts permitted" in the buffer zones. I should have qualified but I never said blanket ban. 

Yes, you did:  "I do find it somewhat paradoxical that if a passenger on an airplane has a peanut allergy, no peanuts are permitted (even if you brought your own)"

2 minutes ago, DerekB said:

Yes, you did:  "I do find it somewhat paradoxical that if a passenger on an airplane has a peanut allergy, no peanuts are permitted (even if you brought your own)"

Where do you see the word "blanket?" Why are you arguing this point?

JetBlue: "Upon request, an inflight crewmember will create a buffer zone one row in front and one row behind the allergic person. The inflight crewmember will ask customers seated in the buffer zone to refrain from consuming any nut containing products they have brought on board. In addition, we will not serve any nut containing products to these rows." They also create buffer zones for animals.

Here is United's policy: United: "If you have a severe food allergy and are traveling on flights between the U.S. and Canada, please notify a flight attendant on board the aircraft you request an allergy buffer zone so we can notify customers seated nearby to refrain from eating any allergen-containing products they may have brought on board."

Some other airlines explicitly say they will not provide buffer zones. So there is a wide range of possibilities.

3 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Where do you see the word "blanket?" Why are you arguing this point?

JetBlue: "Upon request, an inflight crewmember will create a buffer zone one row in front and one row behind the allergic person. The inflight crewmember will ask customers seated in the buffer zone to refrain from consuming any nut containing products they have brought on board. In addition, we will not serve any nut containing products to these rows." They also create buffer zones for animals.

Here is United's policy: United: "If you have a severe food allergy and are traveling on flights between the U.S. and Canada, please notify a flight attendant on board the aircraft you request an allergy buffer zone so we can notify customers seated nearby to refrain from eating any allergen-containing products they may have brought on board."

Some other airlines explicitly say they will not provide buffer zones. So there is a wide range of possibilities.

You did not use the word "blanket", but the statement you gave was an all-encompasing statement AKA "blanket." You also did a very nice job of cut and pasting the part of United's policy that suited your needs. Here is the entire policy: 

Due to the presence of food allergens in the processing environment and in meals and snacks served, United cannot guarantee an allergen-free meal or environment on its flights. Further, it is not possible to prevent customers from bringing food items on board that contain major food allergens including peanuts. If you have a severe food allergy and are traveling on flights between the U.S. and Canada, please notify a flight attendant on board the aircraft you request an allergy buffer zone so we can notify customers seated nearby to refrain from eating any allergen-containing products they may have brought on board.

For operational reasons, we cannot remove any onboard products based on individual customer requests, and we do not offer allergen-free buffer zones on our aircraft. Since we cannot guarantee allergen-free flights, we encourage customers to review any health concerns with their physicians prior to flying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

At the end of the day what is going to happen if you have a passenger with a service animal and a passenger with an animal allergy on the same flight sitting nearby each other.

1. The passengers are going to be offered reseating away from each other in the aircraft. This will happen even if it means involuntarily reseating another passenger (in the same cabin). The passenger with the service animal has priority over the bulkhead seat (only a passenger with a fused or immobilized leg has higher priority in the bulkhead - neither of these count if the bulkhead is also an exit row, in which case neither can sit there). 

2. If either passenger finds this accomodation unacceptable that passenger will be offered travel on the next available flight at no additional cost OR a full refund. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

You can bar them from travelling with you again.  RC did this with a  certain person, but ONLY one on ship - so he just switched to another ship, where  he continues to bring his fake service dog.

It should be all RC ships that he tries to board with his dog. They know who he is and could easily put a stop to it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

It is not a hate for dogs, it is a dislike for those who feel they are above the rules.  You can't tell me a dog in a dress, being pushed in a stroller, is a service dog.  The dog in the wagon or canvas bag that did his thing on the rug at guest services isn't a service dog either.  I also doubt the dog sitting on the banquette in Coastal Kitchen is a service dog either as we saw the passenger that brought that dog without the dog many times.  Where was that dog then, unsupervised in a cabin?

A dog in a dress, sitting in a bumper car or lounging on a chaise in the Solarium is not there for anything other than the owners enjoyment.

Or their too cheap to leave their dog at home.

• Like 3

Are they able to bring a dog into any cabin?  It should be only certain cabins.  Why do I want a cabin where a dog had free run of the place the week before?  If it is a true service dog, even then, they should only have designated cabins, like accessible cabins should only be for people who need them. It is that way in hotels, I think.  Having had a dog who passed last year, I know that you can never really clean all the pet hair, I still find hair when cleaning now(recently on a window shade). I am not going on vacation to find pet hair in my room! 

Anyway, I once saw a women with a "support" dog on the dining table in the buffet on a cruise!!  It never ends. I agree that people just bring "non service dogs" with them on cruises to avoid a pet setter fee.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DerekB said:

You did not use the word "blanket", but the statement you gave was an all-encompasing statement AKA "blanket." You also did a very nice job of cut and pasting the part of United's policy that suited your needs. Here is the entire policy: 

Due to the presence of food allergens in the processing environment and in meals and snacks served, United cannot guarantee an allergen-free meal or environment on its flights. Further, it is not possible to prevent customers from bringing food items on board that contain major food allergens including peanuts. If you have a severe food allergy and are traveling on flights between the U.S. and Canada, please notify a flight attendant on board the aircraft you request an allergy buffer zone so we can notify customers seated nearby to refrain from eating any allergen-containing products they may have brought on board.

For operational reasons, we cannot remove any onboard products based on individual customer requests, and we do not offer allergen-free buffer zones on our aircraft. Since we cannot guarantee allergen-free flights, we encourage customers to review any health concerns with their physicians prior to flying.

I can assure you that I have flown United on a domestic US flight on more than one occasion and received a cabin-wide announcement to refrain from eating peanuts. I don't care what the policy is. The flight crew has the discretion to make reasonable accommodations, and the policy doesn't prevent them from doing that or to make it cabin-wide to avoid drawing attention to the person with the allergy. Once the door closes, I follow all crew instructions. I based my comment on my personal experience. I noted that the policies are airline-dependent and vary across the board, and presented ample evidence. I still don't understand what your point is in challenging me. Are you saying it never happens on United or any other airline? I'm here to tell you it has happened.

41 minutes ago, Level six said:

Are they able to bring a dog into any cabin?  It should be only certain cabins.  Why do I want a cabin where a dog had free run of the place the week before?  If it is a true service dog, even then, they should only have designated cabins, like accessible cabins should only be for people who need them. It is that way in hotels, I think. 

Nope, hotels are not going to fail to sell out just because the only rooms left are accessible.  They are typically held until last, but they will be sold.  As far as service animals in hotel rooms, we did not have designated rooms for them, we did deep clean rooms that had been used with a service animal as soon as it was vacated.  

• Like 1

The QM2 allows you to bring your pet for a fee but the pet must stay in the kennel the entire time.  You can visit in the kennel but your dog or cat can't leave. I don't know how they deal with passengers who insist their pet is a service dog and they want it in their cabin. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

The QM2 allows you to bring your pet for a fee but the pet must stay in the kennel the entire time.  You can visit in the kennel but your dog or cat can't leave. I don't know how they deal with passengers who insist their pet is a service dog and they want it in their cabin. 

Okay, I agree with that.  Maybe it should be that way with other cruise lines.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, asalligo said:

Where does this hate for dogs come from? Never trust anyone who does not love a dog. I would be inconvenienced in no way by a dog anywhere on the ship. 

Many people have no animosity towards dogs, but are simply uncomfortable with them. It might come as a result of having a parent with some discomfort or fear of dogs or as a result of being bitten by a dog or having a close relative bitten.  Or someone who has a close relative with asthma who is impacted by exposure. 

In the case of cruise ships, I respect anyone's need for a true service dog.

Happy cruising to all. 🚢 🐕‍🦺 

On 1/10/2022 at 6:27 PM, FireEMT978 said:

Yeah, I know I will get people mad. Don't Care! What type of service dog is this? During our past week on the Oasis, we had a couple with a Yorkie "Service dog", with the fake "Credentials". How do I know this, you ask. Well, the fact that this dog was in a stroller, being hand fed dinner in the main dining room by both owners. Also, at all other venues, the dog was being held by different people, at different times, while the owners were just having a good time. I do know how siezure dogs, and diabetic dogs, etc.... are trained to be with their handler. I have many friends that REQUIRE their service dogs to assist them. This, is a disgrace to people that have true service dogs. These people should be barred, and have shame in what they are doing. So sad! Yes, I do have pictures of them. I will be sending them to RCI. I could post them. But, I won't, unless I feel the need.

I don’t know if this is the same person I’ve seen on one of my cruises.  The lady was heavy-set on an ECV.  If it’s the same party, she’s a Pinnacle member, which means she has been allowed to do this for a long time, so RCCL will most likely allow her to continue doing so.

Edited by iuki
correct grammar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, iuki said:

I don’t know if this is the same person I’ve seen on one of my cruises.  The lady was heavy-set on an ECV.  If it’s the same party, she’s a Pinnacle member, which means she has been allowed to do this for a long time, so RCCL will most likely allow her to continue doing so.

we saw her in the suite lounge on our Allure cruise. The dog stayed in its carrier on the floor next to them. If we didn’t see it, we never would have known there was a dog there.

7 hours ago, iuki said:

Her dog has her own Pinnacle Pin

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, Level six said:

Are they able to bring a dog into any cabin? 

It is that way in hotels, I think. 

Yes and no. 

You would be surprised how many hotels these days are actually "pet friendly" so there may be a good chance youve already stayed in a room that someones pet stayed in before.

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Ashland said:

It should be all RC ships that he tries to board with his dog. They know who he is and could easily put a stop to it.

I saw him once in the Solarium, minus dog.  He was telling people the dog gets too nervous around crowds.  So he leaves him in the by himself and they allow this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, read2learn said:

Animals can get Covid as well as humans. Since there are not any vaccines for them do they have to wear a wristband???   😏

I saw a covid detecting dog sniffing it's own butt, wonder what that means?  🙄

• Haha 7