What type of "Service Dog" is this?

1 hour ago, CPT Trips said:

😉 In the likely event some reader here thinks you are serious, let me point out that there is no such thing as a service cat. To obtain the title service animal, it isn’t canine or equine. 🙄

And that is why I put service in " ".  😄  

Plus, it's common knowledge that dogs have masters, cats have staff.  🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

I agree...the cruise lines should make sure "Fluffy" shouldn't be cruising...and certainly shouldn't be having dinner in the dining room.

You’ve obviously never been in restaurants in Europe where it is common practice and perfectly acceptable to have your dog with you. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, little britain said:

You’ve obviously never been in restaurants in Europe where it is common practice and perfectly acceptable to have your dog with you. 

But those dogs are also well behaved.  Like a well trained service dog.

Edited by SRF

There are a couple of things about service dogs that people do not realize. I will try to help clarify.

1. There is no registration in the US for service dogs. Any website you can get one off is 100% fake and a scam. Someone providing a registration either has a fake service dog or they are new to having a service dog and do not understand the laws. The requirements is that you have a disability that has a need and the dog must be trained to do tasks for that disability. 

2. Service dogs do not have to be with their owners 24/7, sometimes depending on the disability. Sometimes the handler needs a break, and sometimes the dog needs a break. This very much depends on the situation. This is why you may see a handler without their dog from time to time. It does not mean they are not a real service dog.

3. This one is hard do explain, but service dogs are still dogs. They sometimes will make a mistake, like possibly get spooked by something and bark. They need also need time to play and be a dog. That being said, if a dog is constantly barking or not under the handler's control then that is a problem. That dog may still be a service dog but not trained for public access. 

4. Any breed of dog can be a service dog. What matters is the dog's temperament and the ability to perform the tasks that the handler needs for their disability. For example: If the handler is needing help with mobility then a small dog would not be fit for a service dog. A handler who needs a diabetic alert dog could possibly use a smaller dog. When my dog was in training there was someone else who had a pit bull being trained to be a seizure alert dog. He was WONDERFUL with her. He was being trained as an in home service dog. I personally have a golden retriever. They are more accepted by the public as a service dog because of the misconception that it has to be a golden/lab/poodle. 

If you have any questions about service dogs I will be happy to help answer them! That being said, I only know the US Laws. Some countries have VERY different laws on service/guide animals. Also there is a very informative thread under Cruising with a Disability that has a ton of information about service dogs. It has been going on for many many years!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 9

4 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Where does this hate for dogs come from? Never trust anyone who does not love a dog. I would be inconvenienced in no way by a dog anywhere on the ship. 

I am a lifelong dog owner, but I do not take my dog to stores or restaurants, to inflict my views on pets on others.  Pets have no place on a cruise ship.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Where does this hate for dogs come from? Never trust anyone who does not love a dog. I would be inconvenienced in no way by a dog anywhere on the ship. 

I don't think it's the dog per se but the people who don't have control of their animals and who take advantage of the rules.  The rules went into affect after several incidents of poorly behaved animals.   It wasn't just on ships but also on airplanes.  There was an ostrich on a plane and a large dog blocking the aisle, among others.  It's why rules got stricter.  Cruise lines and airlines are public carriers and have a concern for liability if a passenger is injured by one of these animals. It's complicated 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

Are you joking ?

An ostrich on a plane, actually in the plane beside passengers ?

Although nothing surprises me anymore.

Yep.  That's when the airlines cracked down on animals in the cabin.

I knew it wouldnt be long before we got back to these kind of threads. 🙂  My Allie girl at the Big Deck Raw Bar and Grille at Cedar Key FL over the holidays.   A picture perfect example of how a true service dog acts in a restaurant.    She has never been on a cruise though.   I take her everywhere but on cruises.   Its just too close quartered and not fair to her and the hassle of all you have to go through to take her into the ports isnt worth it.   Id have a hard time keeping her out of the pools too  LOL 😂     Sometimes I need a break and so does she.  That break comes for the both of us when I go on cruises.     She is laying here beside me at work as I type this.  

268797320_10219989702668543_7852513995598933942_n.jpg

Edited by ryano
  • Like 18

1 hour ago, Mabbiez said:

There are a couple of things about service dogs that people do not realize. I will try to help clarify.

1. There is no registration in the US for service dogs. Any website you can get one off is 100% fake and a scam. Someone providing a registration either has a fake service dog or they are new to having a service dog and do not understand the laws. The requirements is that you have a disability that has a need and the dog must be trained to do tasks for that disability. 

2. Service dogs do not have to be with their owners 24/7, sometimes depending on the disability. Sometimes the handler needs a break, and sometimes the dog needs a break. This very much depends on the situation. This is why you may see a handler without their dog from time to time. It does not mean they are not a real service dog.

3. This one is hard do explain, but service dogs are still dogs. They sometimes will make a mistake, like possibly get spooked by something and bark. They need also need time to play and be a dog. That being said, if a dog is constantly barking or not under the handler's control then that is a problem. That dog may still be a service dog but not trained for public access. 

4. Any breed of dog can be a service dog. What matters is the dog's temperament and the ability to perform the tasks that the handler needs for their disability. For example: If the handler is needing help with mobility then a small dog would not be fit for a service dog. A handler who needs a diabetic alert dog could possibly use a smaller dog. When my dog was in training there was someone else who had a pit bull being trained to be a seizure alert dog. He was WONDERFUL with her. He was being trained as an in home service dog. I personally have a golden retriever. They are more accepted by the public as a service dog because of the misconception that it has to be a golden/lab/poodle. 

If you have any questions about service dogs I will be happy to help answer them! That being said, I only know the US Laws. Some countries have VERY different laws on service/guide animals. Also there is a very informative thread under Cruising with a Disability that has a ton of information about service dogs. It has been going on for many many years!

Excellent post 🙂 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I thought HIPAA only applies to the release of medical information by medical providers (and some of their associated businesses).  I didn't think it applied to asking medical questions of an individual.

It is actually Title II and Title III of the ADA that prohibit anyone from asking any questions except the two that were previously posted: is this a dog required for a disability and what job is it trained to do? No other questions nor proof of training or disability is allowed.

II. Service Animal Defined by Title II and Title III of the ADA

A service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Tasks performed can include, among other things, pulling a wheelchair, retrieving dropped items, alerting a person to a sound, reminding a person to take medication, or pressing an elevator button.

Emotional support animals, comfort animals, and therapy dogs are not service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not considered service animals either. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the individual’s disability. It does not matter if a person has a note from a doctor that states that the person has a disability and needs to have the animal for emotional support. A doctor’s letter does not turn an animal into a service animal.

Examples of animals that fit the ADA’s definition of “service animal” because they have been specifically trained to perform a task for the person with a disability:

· Guide Dog or Seeing Eye® Dog1 is a carefully trained dog that serves as a travel tool for persons who have severe visual impairments or are blind.

· Hearing or Signal Dog is a dog that has been trained to alert a person who has a significant hearing loss or is deaf when a sound occurs, such as a knock on the door.

· Psychiatric Service Dog is a dog that has been trained to perform tasks that assist individuals with disabilities to detect the onset of psychiatric episodes and lessen their effects. Tasks performed by psychiatric service animals may include reminding the handler to take medicine, providing safety checks or room searches, or turning on lights for persons with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, interrupting self-mutilation by persons with dissociative identity disorders, and keeping disoriented individuals from danger.

· SSigDOG (sensory signal dogs or social signal dog) is a dog trained to assist a person with autism. The dog alerts the handler to distracting repetitive movements common among those with autism, allowing the person to stop the movement (e.g., hand flapping).

· Seizure Response Dog is a dog trained to assist a person with a seizure disorder. How the dog serves the person depends on the person’s needs. The dog may stand guard over the person during a seizure or the dog may go for help. A few dogs have learned to predict a seizure and warn the person in advance to sit down or move to a safe place.

Under Title II and III of the ADA, service animals are limited to dogs. However, entities must make reasonable modifications in policies to allow individuals with disabilities to use miniature horses if they have been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for individuals with disabilities.

Edited by cured

23 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And yet, all of what you quoted supports the OP in his questioning of whether this is a service animal.  Just as you say that airlines no longer have to cater to support animals, neither do cruise ships, or any business in the US.  The only place where emotional support animals are given any protection is in the Equal Housing Act.

And, as the poster states, in a public space, he is free to take your photo and publish it on public websites.

Now, for a lot of confusion about service dogs.  Service dogs do not need to be registered, as there is no national registry, or requirement.  Service dogs do not need to be trained by a professional, they can be home trained, or even come by the skill themselves.  Service dogs do not need any indication of their service, like a vest or harness.  Service dogs do need to be in one of two places, as allowed by the ADA:  either in the owner's arms, or on the floor.  Dogs in strollers are not allowed, nor is feeding an animal from the table in public.  Even if the dog is left onboard during port stops, it must meet the importation requirements of the port country, as the ship has "entered" the country, and the possibility exists of the dog going ashore.

Personally I could care less if a dog is off or on. Just an Fyi.  My dogs stay at home.  And my point was its a little extreme and a waste of time to take pictures of people on a cruise ship.  That was what I objected to.  

Was wrong about the ostrich on the plane.   It was a Peacock!   There was also a snake,  tortoise, a marmoset, and ....  the problem is where do you draw the line.  What about animals left in the cabin when an attendant comes in to clean, or when alone, starts to make noise.  This is a slippery slope.

2 hours ago, Mabbiez said:

Please correct me if I am wrong (ryano too), but to point 2 and a little bit of 3. It is my understanding that the vest/harness that you see true service dogs wearing is part of the training. That when the vest/harness is on, they are "on duty" (it's a job, they are working), and when it is off, they are "off duty" and in "pet mode". Also, to the point of these ESA's being handed around to others in the party, it is also my understanding that you should never attempt to interact with someone's "on duty" service animal, only when they are "off duty".

Sure, many times the ESA people get vests too, but there's no training with it, it's just for show. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

What about animals left in the cabin when an attendant comes in to clean, or when alone, starts to make noise.  This is a slippery slope.

That is clearly a rule violation and could get them put off at the next port. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/service-animals

If the guest chooses to disembark the ship at a port at which the service dog must remain onboard, the guest must make arrangements to ensure that the dog is cared for. Note that the ship's staff is not required to care for the dog, nor can the dog be left in the stateroom unattended.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, asalligo said:

This has nothing - NOTHING - to do with liking or disliking dogs.  NOTHING.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Please correct me if I am wrong (ryano too), but to point 2 and a little bit of 3. It is my understanding that the vest/harness that you see true service dogs wearing is part of the training. That when the vest/harness is on, they are "on duty" (it's a job, they are working), and when it is off, they are "off duty" and in "pet mode". Also, to the point of these ESA's being handed around to others in the party, it is also my understanding that you should never attempt to interact with someone's "on duty" service animal, only when they are "off duty".

Sure, many times the ESA people get vests too, but there's no training with it, it's just for show. 

Yes this is correct. When the vest is on my dog is working. My dog knows when we go to the dog park that is her time to be a crazy doggo and she runs and does zoomies all around. When she is working she needs to be focused on me to make sure she alerts me if needed, that's why if others distract her it can be bad. ESAs have no special training and in the US do not have public access rights. 

Also I meant to mention something about vests. There is no official place to buy service dog vests so it is easy for people to just get one for their dog. I have mixed feelings about this. I like that I am able to easily get a vest for my dog if needed but I hate that someone can get one for their pet. Many handlers get custom made ones. The one I use most is a custom one that is pink and purple. I am possibly having one made that has anchors on it for when we cruise. Handlers are allowed to have a little fun with having a service dog. 😄

• Like 6

On 1/10/2022 at 11:27 PM, FireEMT978 said:

Yeah, I know I will get people mad. Don't Care! What type of service dog is this? During our past week on the Oasis, we had a couple with a Yorkie "Service dog", with the fake "Credentials". How do I know this, you ask. Well, the fact that this dog was in a stroller, being hand fed dinner in the main dining room by both owners. Also, at all other venues, the dog was being held by different people, at different times, while the owners were just having a good time. I do know how siezure dogs, and diabetic dogs, etc.... are trained to be with their handler. I have many friends that REQUIRE their service dogs to assist them. This, is a disgrace to people that have true service dogs. These people should be barred, and have shame in what they are doing. So sad! Yes, I do have pictures of them. I will be sending them to RCI. I could post them. But, I won't, unless I feel the need.

I have seen questionable service dogs on board celebrity ship also. Sad...

2 hours ago, asalligo said:

It is not a hate for dogs, it is a dislike for those who feel they are above the rules.  You can't tell me a dog in a dress, being pushed in a stroller, is a service dog.  The dog in the wagon or canvas bag that did his thing on the rug at guest services isn't a service dog either.  I also doubt the dog sitting on the banquette in Coastal Kitchen is a service dog either as we saw the passenger that brought that dog without the dog many times.  Where was that dog then, unsupervised in a cabin?

A dog in a dress, sitting in a bumper car or lounging on a chaise in the Solarium is not there for anything other than the owners enjoyment.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1