Boston Hotels

lkgreen26

12 minutes ago, lkgreen26 said:

Hello!  Can anyone recommend Boston hotels for our New England/Canadian cruise leaving in late August?  We've never spent time in Boston so we will have a day and half to do some exploring.  Flying into BOS.  Many thanks!

We are doing a one night September pre cruise stay at the Hampton Inn Boston Crosstown Center. 

Another good place to ask is in the Ports Of Call Forum.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/317-east-coast-departures/

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

You can also join the Roll Call --   Fellow cruisers will be a great asset for all your questions.

I'm on the August 7th and others will also help with your questions.

Edited by Jim_Iain

36 minutes ago, lkgreen26 said:

Hello!  Can anyone recommend Boston hotels for our New England/Canadian cruise leaving in late August?  We've never spent time in Boston so we will have a day and half to do some exploring.  Flying into BOS.  Many thanks!

What is your price point/night?  Boston hotels can tend to be very pricey.  Do you want to be near the port terminal/seaport?  I live in Boston and can make a few recommendations if you'd like.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

What is your price point/night?  Boston hotels can tend to be very pricey.  Do you want to be near the port terminal/seaport?  I live in Boston and can make a few recommendations if you'd like.

Now that we've got your attention, what do taxi fares run. Airport to hotels, hotels to the embarkation center (Black Falcon Pier/Cruise Terminal)? 

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Now that we've got your attention, what do taxi fares run. Airport to hotels, hotels to the embarkation center (Black Falcon Pier/Cruise Terminal)? 

About $20+ (depending on traffic) because it will include the Callahan Tunnel fee added to taxi fare.  Good hotels at Seaport/Black Falcon, all walkable with just one roller.  Hampton Inn, Westin, Hyatt Place each would cost approx $275-350/night in August.  There is also Intercontinental Boston, though much pricier, in summer, it will be $450+/night, but I love this hotel and quick 3 minute taxi to the pier or 10 minute walk.  Close to a number of things on the Freedom Trail, i.e. Boston Tea Party ship and museum (5 mins walk) The North End, Paul Revere House, Old North Church, 15 minute walk.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, rkacruiser said:

I have stayed at the Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel and enjoy the hotel and its environs. Not in the downtown or historic district, but public transportation to that area is close by.  

Great location, I actually have a view of it from my office, the heart of Back Bay.  Not a bad place to stay, Trinity Church, just amazing to tour, BPL art tour is a very nice take as well.  Also an easy cab ride to the pier, depending on time of day of course.  If you fancy dropping a good chunk of cash while here, cross the street one block and shop on Newbury St

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

Great location, I actually have a view of it from my office, the heart of Back Bay.  Not a bad place to stay, Trinity Church, just amazing to tour, BPL art tour is a very nice take as well.  Also an easy cab ride to the pier, depending on time of day of course.  If you fancy dropping a good chunk of cash while here, cross the street one block and shop on Newbury St

When I was there, there were a multitude of good restaurants and I had difficulty choosing where to dine.  I hope these establishments have survived the pandemic so far.  

16 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

When I was there, there were a multitude of good restaurants and I had difficulty choosing where to dine.  I hope these establishments have survived the pandemic so far.  

Fortunately quite a few have been able to remain open but some that were in the Back Bay for years and years, were not able to hang on and had to shut their doors permanently.  

• Thanks 1

Being near the cruise terminal is nice for debarkation day, not as nice for touring Boston.  Check a map and you'll see how far the cruise terminal is from any of the attractions, like Faneuil Hall, the Freedom Trail, etc

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 12:47 PM, davekathy said:

We are doing a one night September pre cruise stay at the Hampton Inn Boston Crosstown Center. 

Another good place to ask is in the Ports Of Call Forum.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/317-east-coast-departures/

I would advise caution on the HI Crosstown.  I'm a big fan of Hampton Inn and I'm sure this one is doing its best for their guests. That being said, I'm not a fan of the neighborhood for this hotel.  It is near the intersection of Mass Ave and Melnea Cass Blvd where there is a large unhoused population who have recently (in the past several weeks) been moved out of their tents and into various other and warmer housing including a formerly vacant Best Western Roundhouse which is just across a busy rotary from the HI. The new housing is low threshold which provides support to anyone who is addicted to drugs, alcohol, mental issues, and helps them find more permanent housing and services.  It is a difficult and hard process for all involved: the Mayor, the residents, the businesses, and the unhoused. 

15 hours ago, Traveling Library said:

I would advise caution on the HI Crosstown.  I'm a big fan of Hampton Inn and I'm sure this one is doing its best for their guests. That being said, I'm not a fan of the neighborhood for this hotel.  It is near the intersection of Mass Ave and Melnea Cass Blvd where there is a large unhoused population who have recently (in the past several weeks) been moved out of their tents and into various other and warmer housing including a formerly vacant Best Western Roundhouse which is just across a busy rotary from the HI. The new housing is low threshold which provides support to anyone who is addicted to drugs, alcohol, mental issues, and helps them find more permanent housing and services.  It is a difficult and hard process for all involved: the Mayor, the residents, the businesses, and the unhoused. 

Good to know. What is your opinion of the Hampton Inn Boston-Logan Airport property? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Good to know. What is your opinion of the Hampton Inn Boston-Logan Airport property? 

If you only want to stay at a Hampton Inn (vs. other Hilton sites) then I'd pick either the Hampton Inn in Cambridge which, according to their website, is across the street from the Lechmere stop on the Green Line (note there is some construction going on so until spring 2022 there is a shuttle bus to take you to North Station where you'll join the Green Line trolley). The Green Line will take you directly to Park Street where you will be in downtown Boston.  Or stay at the Hampton Inn in the Seaport.  There you can walk to the cruise terminal. This hotel is close to the Silver Line (a dedicated bus lane) which will take you to South Station.  From South Station you can change to the Red Line (trolley) to Park Street or easily walk up the Rose Kennedy Greenway along the harbor to the North End.  The Green, Red, and Silver Lines are all part of the public transportation system locally called "The T".  It is safe and easy to navigate. They have a great website www.mbta.com with a trip planner that I use all of the time (and I live in the Boston suburbs!).  Depending on where you stay and how much luggage you could take public transportation from Logan Airport to your hotel and also from your hotel to the ship. There are two Hampton Inns for Logan Airport IMHO both are good if you have a car or if you only need a place for one night to sleep and you don't want to visit the sights.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Traveling Library said:

There are two Hampton Inns for Logan Airport IMHO both are good if you have a car or if you only need a place for one night to sleep and you don't want to visit the sights.

Thanks for the info. I did cancel the Crosstown Hampton Inn and book the Air Port Hampton Inn. We've been to Boston a few times and this time were are only doing a one night pre cruise stay.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 7:23 AM, Nitemare said:

If it's only Hampton's you are considering, I'd pick the Seaport one, right next to the cruise terminal. 

Plus it's brand new.  We had friends stay there in October and they really enjoyed it.  Not situated well for Boston sightseeing though.  At that time of year the students will be returning to all the colleges and the hotels will be booked with parents.  I would book a hotel as soon as you decide on which one as prices will only go up.

• 4 weeks later...

None of the truly Boston hotels has shuttles.  Some of the hotels on the outskirts have advertised shuttles to the airport or cruise terminal, but even some of those have gone away due to Covid.  None of those hotels is near any tourist sites, merely a place to sleep and not wander around.

Stay in Boston, take a cheap cab or uber to the port

We too will sail the NE Canada route late August. I've made reservations at the Hilton Downtown Faneuil Hall and the Bostonian. I'll probably let the Bostonian go as the Hilton has better reviews.  I'm from MA & NH so I know the area and it is tricky to be in a safe and easy area to tour and stay.  If I wasn't coming in two days early, I would have stayed at the pier in the new Hampton Inn Seaport.  If your budget is so tight, others have recommended the Hampton Inn Logan Airport at Chelsea and their Extended Stay rate which you only need to stay one night.  Take their shuttle to hotel and back to airport to pick up a Uber or taxi to the Ray Flynn/Black Falcon Pier.

Do the HOHO bus tour to see the most of Boston easily and reasonably.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:18 AM, Nitemare said:

Being near the cruise terminal is nice for debarkation day, not as nice for touring Boston.  Check a map and you'll see how far the cruise terminal is from any of the attractions, like Faneuil Hall, the Freedom Trail, etc

Agree++

Personally, as a local, I think staying in the Seaport is your best option. The T silver line runs from Logan to there for free. Also there are lots of good places to eat and drink in the seaport. Uber to Faneuil Hall or other tourist sites if need be. That said, the hop on hop off bus for a day isn't a bad thing and you get admission to the Boston Tea Party museum (near the Seaport) with the cost of the ticket (at least you used to). If you do stay dowtown (Copley/Prudential/Newbury Street) the prices will be higher but again lots to see, with good eateries. All depends on how you want to spend your time and money.