Port Everglades to Miami airport

anniedave

When our  cruise ends in Fort Lauderdale we are staying overnight in a hotel near miami airport. We had booked a Celeb  excursion on the last day that ends at Miami Airport but its now been cancelled & the others available are things we have already done/don't wish to do. So any advice on best option to get to hotel near Miami airport ?

From the UK ...so can I download the uber / lyft app? Is it better to grab a cab or prebook a pivate transfer? 

Or has anyone experienced booking private transport from the port that encorporates a tour of the attractions in Miami ? 

Flying to elsewhere in US so wont need covid test on disembarking ( unless rules change!).

I have done a search for answers & looked on the port boards but can't really find an answer...so am asking all you lovely people 😊 

I use Uber. Downloaded the app and used a UK credit card which does not charge exchange fees (Halifax Clarity Card). Just needed an eagle eye to spot the Uber at the port. 

Have actually booked the Celebrity drop off at Miami airport for our 7th March Silhouette Cruise. Using up the OBC. When was your cruise. 

Hopefully will not need testing pre- flights to UK. 

I've used Uber like everyone else had said and it's been easy and straight forward.  

I am sailing on the Reflection in Feb and this time I have hired a car with Avis to allow us to spend the day doing our own thing after the cruise - picking up from their depot that has a shuttle from the port and dropping off at Miami airport before our flight back to London - cost around £45 for the day's hire so cheaper than an Uber!

We used Lyft.  We asked our Lyft driver who took us from the Hotel in Miami to Ft Lauderdale if he would pick us up n the day the cruise returned and he happily did.  That way he mae the entire fare himself...   Also in Miami, just some friendly advice, DO NOT stay at the Hilton Garden Inn, Miami Airport West.  We are Diamond members and always stay at Hilton properties.  This was, by far, the worst experience we have ever had at a Hilton Property.  The staff is rude and not helpful  and the rooms are old and dirty, not updated at all. 

5 hours ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

We used Lyft.  We asked our Lyft driver who took us from the Hotel in Miami to Ft Lauderdale if he would pick us up n the day the cruise returned and he happily did.  That way he mae the entire fare himself...   Also in Miami, just some friendly advice, DO NOT stay at the Hilton Garden Inn, Miami Airport West.  We are Diamond members and always stay at Hilton properties.  This was, by far, the worst experience we have ever had at a Hilton Property.  The staff is rude and not helpful  and the rooms are old and dirty, not updated at all. 

Be careful with riding outside the app. (unless this was scheduled via the app.) That is against Lyft/Uber rules and you have zero insurance from the company if something bad happens on the trip. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Islandhop9 said:

Be careful with riding outside the app. (unless this was scheduled via the app.) That is against Lyft/Uber rules and you have zero insurance from the company if something bad happens on the trip. 

That is very true, but we felt very safe with this particular driver.  Thanks for the heads up

1 hour ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

That is very true, but we felt very safe with this particular driver.  Thanks for the heads up

You can have an accident and then it really hits the fan. Has nothing to do with the driver. I'd never use any car outside the app framework by YMMV.

12 hours ago, jayfos said:

I've used Uber like everyone else had said and it's been easy and straight forward.  

I am sailing on the Reflection in Feb and this time I have hired a car with Avis to allow us to spend the day doing our own thing after the cruise - picking up from their depot that has a shuttle from the port and dropping off at Miami airport before our flight back to London - cost around £45 for the day's hire so cheaper than an Uber!

45 GBP is 62 USD which is slightly higher than what an Uber costs from Port Everglades to Miami plus gas. Plus the hassle with the transfer and rental process.

Just a word of warning, the shuttle isn't exactly running on a regular schedule and last time it was pandemonium because there wasn't enough space for people/baggage.

Further to my post above I checked my reservation and found that Celebrity had cancelled our shuttle to Miami with a tourist trip around FL. Still shows the hover boat in the everglades but we have done that. I think it will be an Uber to a Miami airport hotel for the day. We have an evening flight.

I have driven in the US a couple of times but my constitution is not up to Miami traffic.

3 minutes ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Further to my post above I checked my reservation and found that Celebrity had cancelled our shuttle to Miami with a tourist trip around FL. Still shows the hover boat in the everglades but we have done that. I think it will be an Uber to a Miami airport hotel for the day. We have an evening flight.

I have driven in the US a couple of times but my constitution is not up to Miami traffic.

We usually hire a car for a few days post cruise but the last time we went through a Toll Pass and what should have been a couple of dollars ended up $25 dr on husband's cr card. Hertz apparently gave them card details 🤔

On 1/17/2022 at 10:41 PM, anniedave said:

When our  cruise ends in Fort Lauderdale we are staying overnight in a hotel near miami airport. We had booked a Celeb  excursion on the last day that ends at Miami Airport but its now been cancelled & the others available are things we have already done/don't wish to do. So any advice on best option to get to hotel near Miami airport ?

From the UK ...so can I download the uber / lyft app? Is it better to grab a cab or prebook a pivate transfer? 

Or has anyone experienced booking private transport from the port that encorporates a tour of the attractions in Miami ? 

Flying to elsewhere in US so wont need covid test on disembarking ( unless rules change!).

I have done a search for answers & looked on the port boards but can't really find an answer...so am asking all you lovely people 😊 

You have already had lots of advice re transport but remember check in at many hotels isn’t until 4pm. You may get lucky and manage to book in immediately from getting off the ship, however, if you have to wait until 4pm it is a long time, even if they are willing to store your luggage.

Suggest you liaise with the hotel you choose to arrange an early book in. Worth an extra few $$ for the comfort of dumping your luggage and then being free to enjoy a nice swim, meal, shop….If you haven’t booked a hotel yet search for one that offers early check in options or ‘day rooms’.

Edited by chemmo

On 1/17/2022 at 2:41 PM, anniedave said:

Edited by neverlaysup

8 hours ago, emmas gran said:

We usually hire a car for a few days post cruise but the last time we went through a Toll Pass and what should have been a couple of dollars ended up $25 dr on husband's cr card. Hertz apparently gave them card details 🤔

You would have gone through more than one toll station for that charge.  Florida is all toll by plate these days.  The rental car should have been equipped with a transponder.  There is a daily charge for the transponder, I believe possibly $7/day.  Same situation last time I rented a car in Massachusetts--all toll by plate and a daily charge for the transponder.  I was able to turn the transponder off on the days I wasn't in Massachusetts using their toll roads.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 9:17 AM, chemmo said:

You have already had lots of advice re transport but remember check in at many hotels isn’t until 4pm. You may get lucky and manage to book in immediately from getting off the ship, however, if you have to wait until 4pm it is a long time, even if they are willing to store your luggage.

Suggest you liaise with the hotel you choose to arrange an early book in. Worth an extra few $$ for the comfort of dumping your luggage and then being free to enjoy a nice swim, meal, shop….If you haven’t booked a hotel yet search for one that offers early check in options or ‘day rooms’.

Thanks Chemmo - yes already chosen & booked hotel that allows us to drop bags. Really want to explore Miami for the day as it will be our only chance - so unless we come up with an excursion/ private tour we fancy straight from ship - the  plan is go straight from port to hotel - drop bags - get cab to Miami beach - spend day exploring - back to hotel for dinner / early night- early flight to Vegas following Day. 🙂