How far ahead to order COVID tests by mail?

grest

Not enough information. When is your cruise?  IMO if the expiration dates are good order now before there is a shortage and you can’t get them.

Plus we are still awaiting a package that was mailed a couple of weeks ago and tracking shows maybe another week!

Edited by aliaschief

Not sure these tests work for folks on here always looking for at home tests......(we just go to our Florida health dept before our cruise and get a quick free test....done it in October and December by appointment)

Tomorrow you can order them for FREE from the USA gubment......They say they will ship 7 - 12 days after ordering so if you add mail time, you can get it in what, 10-15 days ? LOL

That shipping time frame makes them perfect for those of us leisure vacation folks but not sure that timeline will work for anyone who actually has symptoms and really needs a test.

Here is the link.....glad they are making it easier for those of us lucky enough to travel a lot! LOL.  

Will this work for what y'all want in an at home test?

https://www.covidtests.gov

3 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Not sure these tests work for folks on here always looking for at home tests......(we just go to our Florida health dept before our cruise and get a quick free test....done it in October and December by appointment)

Tomorrow you can order them for FREE from the USA gubment......They say they will ship 7 - 12 days after ordering so if you add mail time, you can get it in what, 10-15 days ? LOL

That shipping time frame makes them perfect for those of us leisure vacation folks but not sure that timeline will work for anyone who actually has symptoms and really needs a test.

Here is the link.....glad they are making it easier for those of us lucky enough to travel a lot! LOL.  

These don't work for getting on a ship but good for testing at home.  

4 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

The site is live now, so I ordered mine already. It didn’t ask about insurance and had a total of $0.00. Won’t ship until later this month, and can’t be used for cruise travel, but hey - they will have their uses in other ways 😁

5 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

The tests Optum are shipping now expire in Nov/Dec 2022 so if you are cruising before them order NOW.

Good to know!  I just ordered some for our cruise in April, and didn't think of them expiring soon until after I ordered them.  Thanks for the info!

11 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

The site is live now, so I ordered mine already. It didn’t ask about insurance and had a total of $0.00. Won’t ship until later this month, and can’t be used for cruise travel, but hey - they will have their uses in other ways 😁

Just ordered as well. I thought it wasn't going live until tomorrow but a friend let me know she had just ordered. 

We will be sailing Feb 23 from FLL. My husband says we can’t order the proctored antigen tests till 2 wk prior to sailing according to company site. I’m afraid of post office screw ups. Our test kits from Amazon never arrived; just an empty envelope! They were for home use…not cruising. I rather be prepared.

57 minutes ago, WFBgal said:

We will be sailing Feb 23 from FLL. My husband says we can’t order the proctored antigen tests till 2 wk prior to sailing according to company site. I’m afraid of post office screw ups. Our test kits from Amazon never arrived; just an empty envelope! They were for home use…not cruising. I rather be prepared.

I ordered ours yesterday, and we don't cruise until April (on Royal Caribbean). I was not asked for a date of our cruise when ordering. Like you, I did not want to wait in case they ran out again.

2 hours ago, WFBgal said:

We will be sailing Feb 23 from FLL. My husband says we can’t order the proctored antigen tests till 2 wk prior to sailing according to company site.

You can order at any time. Just indicate you are ordering for travel. The test being shipped now have expirations in the November/December timeframe.

We ordered 4 boxes from optum and got them the next day. We decided to order more for our trip in October, but they're out of stock. We went to emed and bought the pack of 6. It will take longer to get them, not that we need them now,  because they require a prescription from an emed physician. I don't see why it requires one since this is for travel. 🙄

I waited too long to order from Optum.  They are now showing out of stock on the 2 pack and 3 pack of Abbott's test.  I went to eMed and ordered the 6 pack for 150.00, and they only offered FedEx next day for 31.68.  I don't need them that soon, but they didn't offer a choice for slower/cheaper shipping.  Oh well.  Cruise is mid Feb and I have used the Abbott kit when I went on a cruise in December.  Worked fine, so what the heck.  I did order the 4 free at home kits from the gov web site.  No good for cruises, but fine if you think you were exposed around home.  Our tax dollars at work!   Just happy to be sailing again.  HAL did a great job on my December 10 day of keeping us healthy.  I felt safer on the ship than at my local grocery store!

On 1/18/2022 at 8:29 AM, FlaMariner said:

Edited by DWAliaschief

After ordering, eMed told us by email re prescription needed and they'd take care of prescription; they took care of it in one day, sending an email saying prescription was approved.  Then the 6-pack was FedExd to us and we received it either the next day or the day after, by noon.  This was over New Year's day weekend and all went quickly and smoothly.

Edited by 12cruise2

We sail in 31 days but I decided over the weekend to order the at home test from Optum when my health insurance’s reimbursement portal went live.  The tests arrived very quickly - about 3 days after we ordered them.  Fortunately, they don’t expire until November 2022.

Edited by arijsky

We said in 60 days, so I ordered a 6-pack from eMed on 1/11.  Almost immediately, received the "Order Approved" email, but have yet to get a shipping notification... even though I was forced to pay almost $40 extra dollars for "next-day shipping".  When I check Order Status, it says "Open" and Tracking "Pending".😒

On 1/18/2022 at 1:27 PM, kiwimum said:

I ordered tests from Optum this morning and they have shipped already with delivery in San Diego on Thursday.   Our 4th order from them with absolutely no issues.

Order has been received as promised.

We have not received our boxes from emed yet, but I was informed that the order was approved and a prescription was issued. 

I contacted them to see why the prescription has the diagnosis code Z20.822.

Z20.822 is a billable diagnosis code used to specify a medical diagnosis of contact with and (suspected) exposure to covid-19.

I was clear that this was for travel, I have not been in contact with nor suspect exposure to covid-19. I don't know why they even need to issue a prescription. Optum does not require that. I will wait and see what they respond.