Celebrity dress code advice for 1st time Celebrity cruiser

ExPAGirl

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

On our Edge sailing February 2020 is where I saw something about shorts and t-shirts in Luminae.  I have worn both and no one ever said anything to me. 

Unlikely.  I’ve sailed Edge numerous times in suites and eaten in Luminae, never saw anything about shorts at breakfast and lunch.

Thank you for this thread! After working from home this long, I think I went overboard (pun intended) on cocktail dresses since I am SO happy to be dressing up for once! So if you see someone extra sparkly every night at dinner that's me breaking out of my sweatpants for work rut 🙂 Hey, better overdressed than underdressed right? 😉

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, TeachAloha said:

Thank you for this thread! After working from home this long, I think I went overboard (pun intended) on cocktail dresses since I am SO happy to be dressing up for once! So if you see someone extra sparkly every night at dinner that's me breaking out of my sweatpants for work rut 🙂 Hey, better overdressed than underdressed right? 😉

Dress for YOU, not anyone else.  Hope you have a great cruise!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruisekitty22 said:

This answers so many questions for me. We are thinking of doing a 5 day cruise for our first Celebrity cruise!  Thanks again. My husband will NOT dress up. He will wear a polo shirt for all meals. That is acceptable even in the MDR? Correct?

absolutely

!

• Like 1

This subject has been beaten to death, not sure why the administrator still allows new posts on this subject.

Just a quick story.

On an embarkation night my luggage was not delivered prior to dinner and I tried to enter the MDR wearing shorts.

I was chastised by an assistant Maitre D who stated I needed to wear long pants, after explaining my situation she was still not satisfied but allowed me to enter.

I was under the assumption that shorts were allowed on embarkation night for that reason only.

I will pack long pants in my carry on in the future, lol.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, m8zenblue said:

This subject has been beaten to death, not sure why the administrator still allows new posts on this subject.

Just a quick story.

On an embarkation night my luggage was not delivered prior to dinner and I tried to enter the MDR wearing shorts.

I was chastised by an assistant Maitre D who stated I needed to wear long pants, after explaining my situation she was still not satisfied but allowed me to enter.

I was under the assumption that shorts were allowed on embarkation night for that reason only.

That's unfortunate. When did this actually happen?

I understand some of us think there are too many repeat threads and the OPs just need to do a search. But if we all followed the ‘don’t repeat common subjects, just search’, we’d have about 1/10th the threads and we’d never get to discuss fun stuff such as dress status, but also: COVID testing; flying in day of cruise; ignoring the ship SR spreadsheets and asking about particular SRs; tipping; don’t eat the fish because I don’t like fish …..oh so many other fun things over and over. Big deal and what’s s the harm? 

So if you think a subject has been covered many times and that somehow bothers you……don’t click on the thread. And if you want to give advice on how to manage this forum, use the Report in the upper right with the funny ‘+++’ of the posts to alert the admin people. I’ve used it a few times on someone who was exceptionally obnoxious…….but that had to be truly ‘exceptional’, or the Admin would start removing many of mine!  

Myself, I love talking about cruising; I’m sure I’ve repeated myself over and over with family, friends and anyone walking down the street I think may be interested. Life.

So OP, being new to Celebrity, I suggest you just ask away. 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, m8zenblue said:

Just a quick story.

I believe they were keeping it open so you could post a comment on the thread that you can't believe the administrator is still allowing new posts on.  

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I personally learn a lot from common controversial threads, as many things change over time.    If I'm not interested I just move on and avoid reading the thread instead of acting like a hall monitor. 

Well said

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I personally learn a lot from common controversial threads, as many things change over time.    If I'm not interested I just move on and avoid reading the thread instead of acting like a hall monitor. 

I like your philosophy.  I’m learning, though still a work in progress, but I’ve not been sent to the naughty room since August, so I think I am doing something right.  Perhaps retiring is settling me down, my husband thinks so.  Though I tell him what is settling me down is the extra time I have for a nice glass of wine.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 5:20 PM, George C said:

On my cruises while people dressed better in Luminae the suite restaurant, shorts were common for breakfast and lunch . After seeing most people without jackets on the first chic night, I didn’t have one on second, again this was last cruise in July.

Evening chic night only applies to the Main Dining Room, not Luminae, Blu or the Specialties, been that way for several years.

Also, shorts are welcome in any restaurant for breakfast and lunch. Celebrity knows that common sense dictates that people do not wish to get dressed for breakfast then go back to their room to change clothes to then go ashore.

Edited by dkjretired

7 hours ago, Denny01 said:

I understand some of us think there are too many repeat threads and the OPs just need to do a search. But if we all followed the ‘don’t repeat common subjects, just search’, we’d have about 1/10th the threads and we’d never get to discuss fun stuff such as dress status, but also: COVID testing; flying in day of cruise; ignoring the ship SR spreadsheets and asking about particular SRs; tipping; don’t eat the fish because I don’t like fish …..oh so many other fun things over and over. Big deal and what’s s the harm? 

So if you think a subject has been covered many times and that somehow bothers you……don’t click on the thread. And if you want to give advice on how to manage this forum, use the Report in the upper right with the funny ‘+++’ of the posts to alert the admin people. I’ve used it a few times on someone who was exceptionally obnoxious…….but that had to be truly ‘exceptional’, or the Admin would start removing many of mine!  

Myself, I love talking about cruising; I’m sure I’ve repeated myself over and over with family, friends and anyone walking down the street I think may be interested. Life.

So OP, being new to Celebrity, I suggest you just ask away. 

Den

Oh My God ! Lighten up

9 hours ago, m8zenblue said:

Just a quick story.

I am surprised at this since many times luggage can arrive late and normally first night no one questions dress code . I also once a few years ago in middle of the cruise observed someone entering mdr in cut off shorts and tank top with a baseball cap on backwards and he wasn’t stopped, seems to depend on who’s in charge of main dining room . In my opinion I have seen dress code to move dramatically more casual every year I have cruised and I started cruising in 1975 and have been on 70 cruises.

I’ll pipe in with another approach to what is worn, I’ll remind our forum that many of us enjoy dressing up a bit beyond what is set as the minimum.. I’ve quit with the Tux because it is very limiting, so I go with slacks, long sleeve shirt and jacket. Usually not a suit. I enjoy Blazer or a neat travel jacket with lot of inside pockets. I’ll bring a few bow ties to dress it up a bit. A lot of times, the shirt is long sleeve, but one of the travel roll up types that give me lots of options.  

And guess what. I don’t spend any time looking around checking to see who isn’t dressed up and so on. I will confess that at dinner, I’m a bit surprised at a set of exposed hairy legs at the dinner table, but that’s just me. I somehow survive it! So yup, good pants and a shirt with a collar (golf shirts rule!) meet all the ‘requirements’, if we are looking for ‘rules’. And during the day, we are obviously cruising and shorts and more leisure dress is just fine. 

But for me, yup, I’ll go a bit further just because I enjoy it. And it’s it funny how all we seem to talk about on these dress threads (yes, and many will follow) is about what we men need to wear. Women understand fully and don’t even get into these discussions much at all. It’s always us guys. My wife takes what i call Chico Chic! But women have so many choices! 

So dress up as you wish, and just enjoy the great dining venues, and even more enjoy how lucky we are to take advantage of all of this. 

Den

Edited by Denny01

On 1/22/2022 at 4:29 PM, ExPAGirl said:

We are sailing on our first Celebrity cruise in February aboard the Reflection for 7 nights.  We have sailed many Royal ships and are very familiar with the various theme nights and dress code suggestions. If anyone could help us understand what the dress code guidelines and options are for Celebrity we would appreciate it!   TIA!

Ruth and John

We also will be on the Reflection in March- We enjoy cocktail/chic attire two nights per cruise.  My DH wears a formal jacket, tuxedo pants, a tie and white shirt.  Other nights he wears slacks and a button down shirt.  I wear either cocktail dress or silk pants and fancy blouse. other nights fancy top and slacks or sun dress.    We will surely celebrate this march as it will be over two years since we last sailed and Formal/chic nights will be like new years eve for us!   Enjoy your cruise.

If you don't like the thread...don't read it... 

As far as dressing for chic night... if you like to dress up go for it.. I have seen formal wear and much less casual and everyone is having a good time. The way I look at it... if you were going to say the opera or a formal affair and decided to go out to dinner before hand... would it matter that other patrons of the restaurant were more casually attired.. of course not...  If packing and hauling more luggage wasn't such a hassle.. I would love to wear more formal attire... of course DH would be much more casual... we would look like strangers meeting on a first date.. 🙂 

15 hours ago, m8zenblue said:

I'm just saying that if you did a search you would find the answer to this particular question.

I agree many answers can be found by search but as we all know the Search function is not particularly intuitive and if you press the wrong selection will search all areas of CruiseCritics and not just Celebrity. 

For those not familiar,  When you click the Search you should select  * This Topic  to search Celebrity Only.    I also find it helpful to also  *All my Search terms     (if you don't select this it will return results for each word not the combination of all words. )

Google is also a great resource  -   To include more than one word either use a quotes around the words or if you only want results with a specific word put a + in front of it.

I have to say that like many others ...   I love Chic night and especially enjoy a lady or for that matter and gentleman dressed with a lot of flair.    Women have a much easier job and with all the accessories their choices are often a head-turner and a comment on what a beautiful outfit.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have to say that like many others ...   I love Chic night and especially enjoy a lady or for that matter and gentleman dressed with a lot of flair.    Women have a much easier job and with all the accessories their choices are often a head-turner and a comment on what a beautiful outfit.

But sometimes, us men can be head-turners - was in an Elite MDR and in walked two men wearing some really outstanding Tux that went welllll beyond the norm - I was impressed! They appeared to enjoy going the beyond but didn’t appear to be doing it to show off…..just to enjoy. 

Kind of why I wear Bow Ties….a bit different but not a ‘look at me!’…..well maybe a bit of that! Nothing like sauntering up to the bar, leaning over, giving the bow tie a pull and letting it fall open and ordering a martini…..my wife gives me ‘that look’ and reminds me I’m not Bond, James Bond. Oh well.

den

• Like 1