Equinox vs. Solstice

JamieLogical

I am currently onboard the Equinox and we are thinking about booking the Solstice to Alaska in September. Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the two ships? I have heard that Equinox was partially revolutionized, but I don't know what was actually updated.

I was able to find an article that said the revolutionization included adding a retreat lounge, adding craft social, updating the suites, redoing the shops, and upgrading all the door locks to RF. None of that sounds like stuff we couldn't live without if we sailed on the Solstice, since we won't be in a suite.

2 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I was able to find an article that said the revolutionization included adding a retreat lounge, adding craft social, updating the suites, redoing the shops, and upgrading all the door locks to RF. None of that sounds like stuff we couldn't live without if we sailed on the Solstice, since we won't be in a suite.

Both ships almost identical- Solstice older.  Of course the suite experience offers more and a nicer cabin.  Enjoy.

The "revolution" of Equinox was cut short and not finished, The only changes to most cabins were soft goods, bedding, drapes, etc. and some of the art work. Some cabins got new carpet and new balcony furniture, which is not as comfortable as the previous balcony furniture. The Passport bar area was completely re-decorated and again, furniture not as comfortable as previously. They did make something of a Retreat Sun deck, with SUN being the operative word. There is no bar, no hot tub no water feature of any kind. And the area is accesssable only by stairs. The service up there is excellent, though. Lunch, drinks, bottled water, The waiters have to go to either the Sky lounge bar or the Mast bar to get drinks. 

Here is a Celebrity brochure which shows what aspects of Equinox was updated from her Revolution drydock: link.

2 of our last 3 cruises were aboard Solstice and we very much like the ship.

2120227602_SolsticeatSydneyHarbouronDec232019.thumb.jpg.cc662454fed06b3ff97fae33c0ef6f03.jpg

• Thanks 1

We haven't been on the Equinox yet (March 13th here we come) however, we have sailed the Solstice three times and two were in Alaska.

One thing we rave about from our Alaska cruises was the Naturalist. He was amazing. He hosted several talks about whales, bears, eagles, Alaska, etc. His name is Brent Nixon.

We would definitely recommend an Alaska cruise with him on it. Not sure if he is still doing them but if he is it is worth it.

7 hours ago, 39august said:

The "revolution" of Equinox was cut short and not finished, The only changes to most cabins were soft goods, bedding, drapes, etc. and some of the art work. Some cabins got new carpet and new balcony furniture, which is not as comfortable as the previous balcony furniture. The Passport bar area was completely re-decorated and again, furniture not as comfortable as previously. They did make something of a Retreat Sun deck, with SUN being the operative word. There is no bar, no hot tub no water feature of any kind. And the area is accesssable only by stairs. The service up there is excellent, though. Lunch, drinks, bottled water, The waiters have to go to either the Sky lounge bar or the Mast bar to get drinks. 

So they didn't add restrooms or anything up there in the Retreat area?  

On 1/28/2022 at 4:03 AM, JamieLogical said:

As I mentioned, we won't be in a suite, so none of the Retreat updates or lack thereof apply to us at all.

If that is the case, the ships are nearly identical. The only difference I can see from the deck plans is that Solstice still has Silk Harvest where the other ships have Le Petite.

10 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

If that is the case, the ships are nearly identical. The only difference I can see from the deck plans is that Solstice still has Silk Harvest where the other ships have Le Petite.

Solstice's Silk Harvest Restaurant features Le Petit Chef with two seatings each evening when we were aboard her in Jan 2020

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

Easiest and most accurate would be to go to the Future Cruise  area to book a future cruise.   The personnel working there can tell you exactly what the differences are.   They will then help you to book your next cruise giving you the best perks and prices available 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

On 1/28/2022 at 7:03 AM, JamieLogical said:

As I mentioned, we won't be in a suite, so none of the Retreat updates or lack thereof apply to us at all.

Then the Solstice would be a better choice for Alaska, since it won't have the Retreat Sundeck that is restricted to suite guests only.  More outdoor, forward deck space for everyone, which imho would be especially beneficial on a scenic cruise like an Alaska cruise.

6 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Then the Solstice would be a better choice for Alaska, since it won't have the Retreat Sundeck that is restricted to suite guests only.  More outdoor, forward deck space for everyone, which imho would be especially beneficial on a scenic cruise like an Alaska cruise.

How is the sky lounge on the Solstice... is it open like Equinox or chopped up for suites like..Reflection? That is a good spot to look forward while being indoors.

2 minutes ago, kearney said:

How is the sky lounge on the Solstice... is it open like Equinox or chopped up for suites like..Reflection? That is a good spot to look forward while being indoors.

Great minds think alike!  I checked the deck plans before I posted above and would have pointed out any differences. The Sky Lounges are the same on Solstice and Equinox  -- both have "only" had a bit of the port side removed for the "Sky Conference Center," nothing like what Celebrity did to the Sky Lounge on the Reflection.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Great minds think alike!  I checked the deck plans before I posted above and would have pointed out any differences. The Sky Lounges are the same on Solstice and Equinox  -- both have "only" had a bit of the port side removed for the "Sky Conference Center," nothing like what Celebrity did to the Sky Lounge on the Reflection.

That is my biggest issue with the Edge class... I prefer to see where we are going (Sky Lounge), vs where we have been (Eden).. and if I want the rearview..there is always the Tuscan Grill on the S class

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2022 at 8:42 AM, Turtles06 said:

We just book Solstice for Alaska leaving July 1, 2022. Very happy that they still have a nice size Sky Lounge. We will have a balcony cabin but I still enjoy the camaraderie of places such as the Sky Lounge.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Considering booking Solstice to Alaska in September.  We want to book a verandah, along with 2 other couples.  Any recommendations on cabin locations/decks?  Anything to avoid?  Thanks 🙂

3 minutes ago, hisdawn said:

Considering booking Solstice to Alaska in September.  We want to book a verandah, along with 2 other couples.  Any recommendations on cabin locations/decks?  Anything to avoid?  Thanks 🙂

For Alaska, I would recommend any of the Sunset Veranda (SV) cabins which look out the back of the ship.  I think the views from there during an Alaskan cruise would be just awesome.  To minimize noise from public spaces from above or below, I would be interested in Decks 7-10 although the aft cabins on Decks 9-11 are higher category and thus more expensive than an SV.

image.png.e898dea67de0463696a673970b6c6e42.png