Carnival Corp Stock - Best Way to Purchase

Coffeeluvr05

What is the simplest, least expensive (fee wise), and secure way to purchase the Carnival Corp stock?  We only have retirement accounts that don't allow individual stock purchases like this so we would need to open a separate account just for this.  Also, is the process quick enough to get credit for a cruise we have in 2 weeks?

We opened a Fidelity account (https://www.fidelity.com/). There are no fees (so far). We deposited enough to purchase 100 shares, plus a little extra to start with. It did take a few days for the account setup and funds deposit. Additionally, it seems that Princess is taking up to 21 days to process shareholder benefits, but some have said that they have been able to call after submitting and get it processed faster or they suggest taking your statement with you on board and take it to the guest relations desk if it had not been applied prior to sailing (questionable if that works all the time).

• Like 4

Good general answer from @vikkiw.  If your retirement account is managed by a a major firm that offers no fee trading, I would open the new account with them.  Otherwise Fidelity or a any of the major discount on-line brokers will do what you need.

• Like 2

Opened an account with Schwab since I found out that if at some point I wanted to use some of my retirement $$ to invest in stocks, I could link them.  I probably won't touch that money, but I was there and it seems like they are all mostly the same.  I am just waiting on them to approve my mobile deposit so I can get some $$ in the account and purchase me CCL stock!  Woohoo!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, algriff said:

What benefits do you get when you own some carnival stock?? I assume they are the same for all the cruise lines that carnival owns?

$50 for cruises 6 days or less.

$100 for cruises 7-13 days.

$250 for cruises at least 14 days

5 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

I have been happy with E-Trade, but the choice is yours. Just do a search on google for on-line brokers.

E. Trade baby is returning on Sunday.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/28/media/etrade-baby-super-bowl-ad/index.html

I know some will view the link, and assume it is fake news.

Might be.

2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbnWbdR9wSY

There might not be another chance to watch the stock go

from $71 to $8, but you never know.

If I can just get the onboard credit from another sixty or seventy

cruises, I'll be even!  Fingers crossed.

Edited by Roberto256

On 2/9/2022 at 2:47 PM, algriff said:

What benefits do you get when you own some carnival stock?? I assume they are the same for all the cruise lines that carnival owns?

You need to own at least 100 shares.

For anyone considering opening an account to buy shares, there’s an offer on Fidelity - fund a new account with $50 or more, receive an additional $100 account credit.   I saw it on slick deals, but there may be info on Fidelity’s site as well.  (Promo Code : fidelity100)

On 2/9/2022 at 7:50 AM, Coffeeluvr05 said:

What is the simplest, least expensive (fee wise), and secure way to purchase the Carnival Corp stock?  We only have retirement accounts that don't allow individual stock purchases like this so we would need to open a separate account just for this.  Also, is the process quick enough to get credit for a cruise we have in 2 weeks?

I would not recommend buying stock if you do not know how..you can loose a lot more than the OBC

On 2/9/2022 at 3:26 PM, ontheweb said:

$50 for cruises 6 days or less.

$100 for cruises 7-13 days.

$250 for cruises at least 14 days

Anyone know if the tour days on a cruise tour count?  Or is it only the days on the ship?  We have a 15 day cruise tour with only 7 days on the ship.

15 minutes ago, Skeet100 said:

Anyone know if the tour days on a cruise tour count?  Or is it only the days on the ship?  We have a 15 day cruise tour with only 7 days on the ship.

It is only on cruise days (not land tours).  It is a reliable stock to own, but you will have to do a lot of cruising for it to be worth while.  I've had mine for many years and I am positive I've come out ahead (with OBC).  

13 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

It is only on cruise days (not land tours).  It is a reliable stock to own, but you will have to do a lot of cruising for it to be worth while.  I've had mine for many years and I am positive I've come out ahead (with OBC).  

Thank you.  That is what I guessed, but was hoping for the higher credit.  That land portion in Alaska is costing a small fortune.   We already have the shares of stock.  I submitted the proof of ownership paperwork a couple days ago.

• Like 1

We moved money from one of my retirement accounts to buy the 100 Carnival shares. If you move it to another retirement account, there is no penalty. We used E-Trade only because we had a rollover IRA with them. We have since switched to Schwab, not because we didn’t like E-Trade but because we wanted to consolidate everything in one place. One of the companies I’ve worked for used Fidelity and we were happy with them as well. I think you can’t go wrong with any of the three.

I use Vanguard brokerage, since I have IRAs and taxable accounts there, and there are no trading fees. What will save you money is buying CUK instead of CCL, since it's cheaper but still gets the OBC. Eventually, hopefully, maybe, they'll restore the dividend payout, which would also reward you for ownership. 

I use Fidelity and Webull. I have CCL shares in both (but the majority in Fidelity). IMHO if you cruise often it is worth owning the 100 shares. I purchased mine when the pandemic began and the market tanked for an average of $11 a share. After 6-9 more cruises (depending on length) I will break even. Wish I would have purchased 20+ cruise ago.😐

Ditto to the benefits of using Schwab.  I sold enough shares from one of my accounts and used that money to purchase the CCL shares, so I didn't need to come up with any additional funds.  

I also opened a Schwab checking account so I'd have their fee-free debit card.  It has worked flawlessly in every country and port where I've wanted to get local currency from an atm or make a purchase.  Never an out of network atm fee or a foreign transaction fee.  Not even a fee to get cash from the ship's atm.   I linked my regular bank to it so I can transfer money into it as needed before a trip.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 8:01 AM, vikkiw said:

We opened a Fidelity account (https://www.fidelity.com/). There are no fees (so far). We deposited enough to purchase 100 shares, plus a little extra to start with. It did take a few days for the account setup and funds deposit. Additionally, it seems that Princess is taking up to 21 days to process shareholder benefits, but some have said that they have been able to call after submitting and get it processed faster or they suggest taking your statement with you on board and take it to the guest relations desk if it had not been applied prior to sailing (questionable if that works all the time).

I followed your advice and used Fidelity.  How do I get the proof of stock?  Apologies for not knowing how to do this.  I tried but could not figure it out.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.

23 minutes ago, Techwizardress said:

I followed your advice and used Fidelity.  How do I get the proof of stock?  Apologies for not knowing how to do this.  I tried but could not figure it out.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.

You should be able to print off a statement or similar showing the 100 shares owned.  I don't use Fidelity, but most investments sites have something like that you can print.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Techwizardress said:

Thanks so much!

You're welcome.  Just make sure to black out user ID, price paid, or other data.  I leave my name/address, date of statement, and just show the stock name along with the 100 shares when I send it into them to get the shareholder credit. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dreams_of_travel said:

You're welcome.  Just make sure to black out user ID, price paid, or other data.  I leave my name/address, date of statement, and just show the stock name along with the 100 shares when I send it into them to get the shareholder credit. 

Sometimes they’ll reject the request if the entire account ID is blacked out.  They’ll request the last 4 digits be shown.

• Like 1