Drinks not on the menu

tennislvr8

1 hour ago, tennislvr8 said:

Did you actually read my original post. I clearly stated I know all of the drink on the RC menu. Again, I’d the post isn’t for you just keep scrolling, it’s really that simple. 

Not arguing with you really.  My post was facetious.  Hope you enjoy all your drinks!

BTW, I have/had a full drinks menu from RCCL that had literally 30 drinks listed for each type of liquor.  It was single spaced & pages long.  Way more extensive than the menu they put out now AND listed ingredients.  I am searching for it to post for you. 😊

Edited by poocher

I have to say most cruises if the bartender didn't know the drink, don't try getting them to make it.  They generally turn out rather bad.  I am also not one that knows the names of all the different drinks, but I may remember some ingredients.  Sometimes looking at the menu's nothing is appealing, but trying to get a bartender to make something they don't know wasn't good.  NCL was the only cruise I have been on where we gave free reign to the bartender to just make us whatever and they did pretty dang good.  

For instance I love a sidecar, but if it isn't on the menu or the bartender absolutely knows what it is I move on to another drink.  

I like Aviation’s. But either the bartenders don’t know what they are, or don’t have the ingredients…usually the Creme de Violette  and/or the Maraschino liqueur.

I was very pleased that the Alchemy Bar had everything and could make one on the Panorama in Dec. 

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 ounces gin (Aviation Gin would be an apropos choice!)
  • 3/4 ounce maraschino cherry liqueur
  • 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 ounce creme de violette
  • Maraschino or brandied cherry, for garnish

The last cruise I was on, I could barely get the bar staff to make a decent martini or Rob Roy, so lord knows I wouldn't try to confuse them with anything novel. This was on Grandeur, and I hope things have changed for the better on board. I ordered a scotch and soda in the diamond lounge one evening and got scotch with Sprite! So good luck out there and may you find (and tip well) a good bartender!

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2022 at 1:19 PM, poocher said:

No disrespect just thinking of the poor bartenders having enough trying to keep up with so many drink recipes 

They are always happy to try something new. Plus a couple dollars tip goes a long way when asking for something difficult.

Edited by sailor05

5 minutes ago, CntPAcruiser said:

The last cruise I was on, I could barely get the bar staff to make a decent martini or Rob Roy, so lord knows I wouldn't try to confuse them with anything novel. This was on Grandeur, and I hope things have changed for the better on board. I ordered a scotch and soda in the diamond lounge one evening and got scotch with Sprite! So good luck out there and may you find (and tip well) a good bartender!

Well, technically Sprite is a soda.😊

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Since I'm not a scotch drinker, it actually might taste better to me with Sprite rather than club soda. However, it sounds like he just picked a soda at random. :classic_biggrin:

On 2/13/2022 at 2:57 PM, tennislvr8 said:

Ohhh what’s in those?

Not green tea - my kids love these and no have no idea why they are called what they are!

It's a mix of equal parts Irish whiskey, peach schnapps, and sour mix that's finished off with a splash of citrus soda. The green tea shot tastes like a sweet-sour whiskey drink with a peachy twist, and it's definitely one of the better-tasting shooters you can mix up.

2 hours ago, CntPAcruiser said:

Girl walks into a bar

orders a highball

bartender says what’s that??

girl walks out

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

You, sir, could have a career in bartending on Grandeur!

They were making up the diamond drinks in a pantry bar rather than right in the lounge, which was a major headache. Any requests had to go through the filter of a cocktail server, and after the first couple of nights I gave up and tried getting my drinks at the regular cocktail bars, but even then it was problematic. Getting a Rob Roy was moderately difficult. Getting a dry Rob Roy was next to impossible.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Depends on where you live.  A lot of Southerners call it a Coke - and ask you which flavor.  I was taught it is a soft drink. Ahh, the fine nuances of the English language.  Just playing with you 😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, poocher said:

I could not believe it.  How do you not know what a highball is????   

I had a bartender in Central Pennsylvania look at me like a deer in headlights when I suggested a Manhattan should have bitters in it. Bitters? What's that?

• Haha 2

I like to ask the bartender what they enjoy making or what they like to serve to their guests at home. You often get a very well crafted cocktail when you do this. And you can still set your own parameters, like, gin or vodka based only or whatever.  

I've never asked yet, but, keep meaning to order Irish Breakfast shots. Might work out best at the Windjammer bar if you want the bacon.

Usually have to teach them a New York Sour which is just a whiskey sour with a red wine float -  beautiful drink to see and tastes nice,  too 👍 

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea