Silver Spirits Package for one person only

mbtabby

I haven't seen this question asked before.  My husband doesn't drink but I do.  The Silver Spirits Package states that both people in cabin must purchase.  Do they ever unbundle and sell to one person only?  

14 minutes ago, mbtabby said:

I haven't seen this question asked before.  My husband doesn't drink but I do.  The Silver Spirits Package states that both people in cabin must purchase.  Do they ever unbundle and sell to one person only?  

Both members in a cabin have to purchase Silver Spirits Package.  I have never seen it unbundled - ever.  If you husband doesn't drink, then you are likely to do much better just buying what you want yourself!  And don't forget you get beer and wine at lunch and dinner.  The prices are quite reasonable.  This is from our last cruise in December.

Viking Drink Menu Sample.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, mbtabby said:

Yes, as soon as the astronauts land on Pluto.

• Like 1

I don't know if they have tightened up on this or not in recent years but I have heard of cases where the rule was waived for medical reasons. If this is your scenario, then I would contact Viking (tellus@vikingcruises.com -- not the call center) and ask what the policy is. It can't hurt to ask.

But before you do that, do the math.

Viking charges $20pp per day. Given all that Viking already provides, will you still spend that much per day at the bar?

• Coffee (except with spirits)/tea/hot chocolate is free 24/7 -- yes, including espresso, latte, cappuccino (BTW the best coffee is served at the bar on Deck 1 -- fresh ground, etc.)
  • Beer, wine, soda, soft drinks are free at lunch and dinner (bubby and fruit juices at breakfast). You can carry a glass of wine out of dinner to sip at the show. There is soda in your mini-fridge.
  • Viking also has a liberal bring your own policy: no corkage fee in the dining room and can be consumed anywhere on the ship.

Keep in mind also that the beverage package also covers non-alcoholic potables -  sodas, Evian and Perrier and fruit juices out of meals times as well as mocktails (which is one of the reasons that both people in the cabin are expected to buy the package).

• Like 2

I hate to even mention it but yes, they let me just buy the package for myself and not my 18 yr old daughter.  She didn’t drink at all at the time.  We went to the cruise critic meet and mingle.  That is where we found out she was the youngest person on board and there were only two other people on board under the age of 30.

This was 5 years ago.

• Like 1

I understand, because when I take my college daughter to dinner (she is 19 is the US and can't drink) but the waiters smiles and as long as I order she can drink, so they figure that if one drinks the other will cheat.  Not fair as we have underage, nondrinkers, etc ... but so many cheat so they have made a decision to not make your amazing Waite staff the bad guys.  Either don't drink or go with it!!!!

Edited by jrkear

4 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Both members in a cabin have to purchase Silver Spirits Package.  I have never seen it unbundled - ever.  If you husband doesn't drink, then you are likely to do much better just buying what you want yourself!  And don't forget you get beer and wine at lunch and dinner.  The prices are quite reasonable.  This is from our last cruise in December.

Viking Drink Menu Sample.pdf 106.56 kB · 17 downloads

The menu has changed.   No Myers Dark Rum.  The only rums showing are Appleton Estate which is not Dark Rum, and Captain Morgan Spiced Dark rum which I do not like.

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2022 at 6:49 PM, CCWineLover said:

Viking Drink Menu Sample.pdf 106.56 kB · 78 downloads

Are you sure these are current prices. Just got off phone with Viking rep who told me that drinks run from $8 - $15 each.

49 minutes ago, impala1ss said:

Are you sure these are current prices. Just got off phone with Viking rep who told me that drinks run from $8 - $15 each.

Most Viking phone reps have never been on a Viking cruise. They are notoriously unreliable. That range is way too high. 🥃🥂🍷🍹🍺

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

From Dec, glasses of wine were $6, mixed drinks $7.50.  Single malt scotch $10.  Some cognacs $12-15.  I drank an occasional Grand Marnier and think those were $8-10.  

This is not to say that all single malts are $10. Torshavn (the disco) has a fine selection of single malts and other sippin' whiskey, brandy and armangac, some of which are priced in three digits.  Drinks package gives you 15% off drinks over $50.

6 hours ago, impala1ss said:

Yes, these are the current prices for the brands listed but it barely scratches the surface of what is actually available. If you want a top-shelf brand, it will cost you more -- and in some cases, a lot more.

So, the phone rep's answer of $8-15, which included some rounding and excluded wine and beer,  was correct but it was incomplete.  Unless you are into the  pricey premium brands, most shots and mixed drinks will cost you in the range of $8-$15 -- gratuity included.

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

This is not to say that all single malts are $10. Torshavn (the disco) has a fine selection of single malts and other sippin' whiskey, brandy and armangac, some of which are priced in three digits.  Drinks package gives you 15% off drinks over $50.

Of course.  However, these were the prices I remembered from the cruise we took of our purchases.  

2 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I think this policy is deplorable, by the way, but I'm just wondering what non-alcoholic beverages are included in the Silver Spirits package that are otherwise not free?  Does anyone know if they carry any NA beer or wines (non-alcoholic)?

There is a menu of non alcoholic drinks available.  I have not looked specifically for wine or beer though.  If you have sodas outside of lunch or dinner, they are included too.

1 minute ago, Mich3554 said:

There is a menu of non alcoholic drinks available.  I have not looked specifically for wine or beer though.  If you have sodas outside of lunch or dinner, they are included too.

Thanks, but I'm specifically wondering what value the SS package would be for someone who drinks no alcohol?

8 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I think this policy is deplorable, by the way, but I'm just wondering what non-alcoholic beverages are included in the Silver Spirits package that are otherwise not free?  Does anyone know if they carry any NA beer or wines (non-alcoholic)?

There is usually a NA beer available. And some "mocktails."

44 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Thanks, but I'm specifically wondering what value the SS package would be for someone who drinks no alcohol?

It's a "Spirits" package, so obviously it will be of lesser value. That said, non-alcoholic beer and mocktails are $5 each. Sodas and juices are $3.75 outside of meal times, but you have the option of asking for an unopened soda etc. at a meal and taking it away for later. Depending on your cabin, the minibar will also be refreshed with items.

So, it will come down to the same choices made by alcohol consumers - either you purchase it because the math is in your favour (you want multiple mocktails for example), or you opt for the convenience outside of mealtimes and accept the cost. 🍺🥌

• Like 1