Signature Beverage Package Procedures

DaveOKC

First time in awhile that we have the Signature Beverage Package with our cruise.  

So, how does the package work onboard?  Do we have to register our cabin cards or anything once we board (we had to do this years ago)?  Then when ordering a drink do we tell the server that we have the package?  Will any charges show up on our cabin statement and what to do if they do?

My DW only drinks water, so what are her options with the package?  Any size or brand of water to ask for?

I am aware of the $11 per drink and 15 drink limit.

your key card is what you use to get your drinks.  You just hand it to the server.   I can't remember whether the drinks show up the bill...someone else can better answer.   

Your DW can get water, red bull, mocktails (pina coladas with no liquor) and coffees.   They provide a normal bottle size only it's in a metal (aluminum?) bottle.   There is no brand of water, in other words you don't have a choice;;;;; other than Perrier which she can ask for.

Any drinks that are covered by the SBP should not appear on your final bill.  You might see a transient transaction if you are very persistent in checking (we didn't when we were on Rotterdam in November 2021), but it should drop off so long as it is covered.  If you are charged, you should see the Front Desk about it.

You might have something in your cabin or be given info telling you that you have the SBP upon checking in.  There is no need to "activate" it other than to hand your cabin card it to a server as you order.  Just to ensure they check for it you might want to mention you have the package as you do.

I believe that @kazu is correct about the size of the included water container, which will be metal.  These containers are 16 oz / 473 ml in size, at least the one still sitting in my carry on is!

• Thanks 1

There is no need to tell the server that you have the package, unless.........they offer you a substitute drink.  This happens more with wines than anything else.  If you order a wine that is covered by the package and they are out of it, they may offer a substitute.  Just make sure that the server knows then that you are on the package, so that they don't substitute with a wine that is not included.

I've been reading that the servers and bartenders cannot tell you how many drinks from your 15 limit you've consumed so it's up to you to keep track. Anything beyond = extra charge.

I've also read people getting pegged for 2 drinks when ordering a double espresso - can anyone that recently experience this confirm?

I've also read that if I were to go up to a bar and order 1 drink for myself and 1 for my cabin mate (who also has the package) I will be dinged for 2 drinks instead of 1 on mine and 1 on theirs. Another reason to try to keep track. I know 15 drinks is quite a lot, but a couple of double espressos and a couple mimosas at breakfast and you're already nearly half way through your daily allotment.

I did a live chat a couple of weeks ago with Holland and asked if it is 15 total drinks or 15 alcohol drinks plus unlimited non-alcohol drinks, she confirmed it was 15 alcohol plus unltd. non. This would be consistent with packages on both Princess and Carnival.

• Like 3

And I would definitely keep an eye on your on-board account as you go (easy to do either on the Navigator app or on your TV). I had a few issues last month where a charge hit my account that should have been covered under the package. Easy to resolve at Guest Services.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 10:07 AM, nhkroozer said:

I did a live chat a couple of weeks ago with Holland and asked if it is 15 total drinks or 15 alcohol drinks plus unlimited non-alcohol drinks, she confirmed it was 15 alcohol plus unltd. non. This would be consistent with packages on both Princess and Carnival.

It's very possible the agent was misinformed...wouldn't be the first time.  The SBP used to be 15 alcoholic plus unlimited non alcoholic but HAL changed that last fall.  Now just the Elite package has unlimited non-alcoholic drinks too.

In the attached beverage package flyer from September 2021, the first FAQ discusses the limit:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Beverage-Packages-2021.pdf

Question:  Is there a limit to the number of drinks I can have per day with the Beverage packages?

Answer:  The Quench and Signature packages have a daily limit of 15 beverages per day. The signature package counts Zero-Proof beverage towards the daily limit. The Elite Package has unlimited zero proof beverages and a daily limit of 15 alcoholic beverages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/18/2022 at 4:15 AM, DaveOKC said:

Do we have to register our cabin cards or anything once we board (we had to do this years ago)?  Then when ordering a drink do we tell the server that we have the package? 

Your key card will have a small "SBP" printed on it.  The servers just swipe your card, not knowing whether you have the drink package or not.  It must show on their computer screen because the only time they hand you a receipt is if you order something not covered by the package.

Also, they aren't supposed to charge more than one person on your card but we saw them do that a lot on our Dec cruise.  We were a bit concerned one of us would hit the 15 limit because of that but we never did.

If you are concerned about going over the limit due to non-alcoholic drinks being included in the 15, one tip I recall reading was to get a number of waters or sodas on your embarkation day.  Just ask them not to open them.  The thought is that you are getting a late start that day on the package so you won't have used as much of your 15/day limit.

Keep in mind you can also bring on a 12-pack of water, just not in plastic.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SeaWatch12 said:

HAL included the Signature Beverage Package in our booking. Does anyone know how much it would cost to upgrade to the Elite Package for a seven night Rotterdam sailing next month? 

You pay the difference between the Signature package price paid and the Elite package price.  Although the SBP is included in your booking, it likely is valued at the pre-booked discounted price of $371.28 ($44.95/day + 18% gratuity) per person for 7 days.  The Elite package pre-booked discount price is $412.58 (49.95 + 18% gratuity) per person.  Although that difference is only $41.30 per person, we were told the upcharge during our 7 day Eurodam last December would have been to the full EBP price of $495.19 ($59.95/day +18%) per person.  Perhaps that's because we didn't pursue the upgrade pre-cruise.

Recommend contacting HAL for the official upgrade pricing. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, AFNavigator said:

You pay the difference between the Signature package price paid and the Elite package price.  Although the SBP is included in your booking, it likely is valued at the pre-booked discounted price of $371.28 ($44.95/day + 18% gratuity) per person for 7 days.  The Elite package pre-booked discount price is $412.58 (49.95 + 18% gratuity) per person.  Although that difference is only $41.30 per person, we were told the upcharge during our 7 day Eurodam last December would have been to the full EBP price of $495.19 ($59.95/day +18%) per person.  Perhaps that's because we didn't pursue the upgrade pre-cruise.

Recommend contacting HAL for the official upgrade pricing. 

Thank you for the detailed explanation. If they only charge the difference between the two, I would consider it. Wouldn’t be worth it to pay the full price of the elite package. Was considering it for better wines by the glass and not feel compelled to count the number of waters and cappuccinos we order. I’ll try to come back here and report what we do. 

• Like 2

On 2/19/2022 at 9:17 PM, AFNavigator said:

It's very possible the agent was misinformed...wouldn't be the first time.  The SBP used to be 15 alcoholic plus unlimited non alcoholic but HAL changed that last fall.  Now just the Elite package has unlimited non-alcoholic drinks too.

In the attached beverage package flyer from September 2021, the first FAQ discusses the limit:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Beverage-Packages-2021.pdf

Question:  Is there a limit to the number of drinks I can have per day with the Beverage packages?

Answer:  The Quench and Signature packages have a daily limit of 15 beverages per day. The signature package counts Zero-Proof beverage towards the daily limit. The Elite Package has unlimited zero proof beverages and a daily limit of 15 alcoholic beverages.

Wow, that feels like a bit of a bait and switch since it was unlimited non-alcoholic drinks when I booked...

On 2/18/2022 at 10:53 AM, recruiter 28 said:

And the freshly squeezed oj is not included on the signature beverage package...this was the case on the October Rotterdam TA.

Just was on the Rotterdam and we disembarked Sunday and fresh OJ was covered.

Edited by tjcox9

25 minutes ago, CBJ said:

If you order a drink over $11, do you only pay the difference + gratuity? 

If you are on the Signature Beverage Package your limit is $11 per drink. If you want to order something more expensive you pay the entire cost. 
The Elite Beverage Package allows drinks up to $15, so you may want to consider upgrading if you want more expensive drinks. Most cocktails are at the $11 or less level, however. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RuthC said:

If you are on the Signature Beverage Package your limit is $11 per drink. If you want to order something more expensive you pay the entire cost. 
The Elite Beverage Package allows drinks up to $15, so you may want to consider upgrading if you want more expensive drinks. Most cocktails are at the $11 or less level, however. 

Wow, glad I asked, this is not what we are used to on Celebrity, where you only pay the difference.

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

Not only do you pay the full drink price if it's over your package limit, you also pay an 18% gratuity.  For example, a $12 glass of wine will end up costing you $14.16 even if you have the signature package.

On 2/20/2022 at 9:43 AM, SeaWatch12 said:

Thank you for the detailed explanation. If they only charge the difference between the two, I would consider it. Wouldn’t be worth it to pay the full price of the elite package. Was considering it for better wines by the glass and not feel compelled to count the number of waters and cappuccinos we order. I’ll try to come back here and report what we do. 

I'm on the March 13th sailing with the same concerns you have. If you are sailing before me please let me know how you worked it out.