Baltic cruises

Fionboard

10 hours ago, marlenecook said:

I can’t imagine cruise lines keeping St. Petersburg as a port stop even if Ukraine is far away. American and British passengers are a significant percentage of most cruises. It would be insane to take a ship full of them to a country that’s at war with their countries. The American state department lists Russia as “do not travel.” Insurance would never cover a mishap with that in place and the cruise lines wouldn’t risk it. 

I quite agree and am surprised to see the FCO do not advise against all travel to Russia.

There appear to be other cruise lines who have clearly said they will cancel SPB though and are looking at alternative ports.  All we have had from P&O is that they are "monitoring the situation" and will "amend itineraries as necessary".  Surely it is time they come out and say they will cancel Russian ports, rather than just delay like this!  I can see they will take a while to re schedule, but a clear decision would help considerably.  How much monitoring do they really need to do at this stage.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tring said:

I quite agree and am surprised to see the FCO do not advise against all travel to Russia.

There appear to be other cruise lines who have clearly said they will cancel SPB though and are looking at alternative ports.  All we have had from P&O is that they are "monitoring the situation" and will "amend itineraries as necessary".  Surely it is time they come out and say they will cancel Russian ports, rather than just delay like this!  I can see they will take a while to re schedule, but a clear decision would help considerably.  How much monitoring do they really need to do at this stage.

Personally, I don't think that the FCO will advise against all travel to Russia for a while.  Even the days of the cold war, FCO didn't advise against travel to the Soviet Union, even following the invasion of Afghanistan.

That said, if I were running any form of travel business, I would not be offering holidays that included visits to Russian territory even if only for a day.  Imho P&O ought to be honest with their customers and take in on the chin and cancel St Petersburg

• Like 1

I did have a Baltic cruise booked for this year, in August on Arcadia. But I switched it to a cruise on Iona next March, as I thought a cruise going to several different countries might be quite complicated in these times. 

Hopefully, P&O are working out their reschedules right now....... St Petersburg is a definite no go, as I can't see any sudden resolution to this. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Er…. Better take Finland and Sweden off the list as well 😔

I know we can’t say much here, but this a very bad situation 

I do not understand your comment about Finland and Sweden, so I searched on the BBC news site and nothing came up.  Has something just happened?  Not asking for details, just a yes or no and perhaps a suggestion what I may wish to look at next. 

I am aware those countries are not in The Club, but do not see that as a problem.  This a a very cruise related question as out Baltic cruise has three Swedish ports.

21 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Er…. Better take Finland and Sweden off the list as well 😔

I know we can’t say much here, but this a very bad situation 

I hope Celebrity don't take Norway off the itinerary. It only goes there.🤔

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, Londonpride said:

Our problems are nothing compared to the poor people of the Ukraine. We are booked and paid up in full for the Baltic cruise on the Arcadia on 1st May. Our feelings are that in view of the aggression shown by mad Vlad we don’t wish to go to StP. Guess we shall just have to wait and see.

I am on this one too. Glad we are not going to St P as have been there 5 times and would rather go somewhere else. Disappointing for those that have not been there though. Mad Vlad making life worse just as it was improving a bit. Poor Ukrainians, my heart goes out to them.

49 minutes ago, tring said:

I do not understand your comment about Finland and Sweden, so I searched on the BBC news site and nothing came up.  Has something just happened?  Not asking for details, just a yes or no and perhaps a suggestion what I may wish to look at next. 

I am aware those countries are not in The Club, but do not see that as a problem.  This a a very cruise related question as out Baltic cruise has three Swedish ports.

Finland and Sweden now want to join The Club, but the Russian foreign minister has threatened them with ‘military and political consequences’ if they do join. 

I can’t say more than that here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Finland and Sweden now want to join The Club, but the Russian foreign minister has threatened them with ‘military and political consequences’ if they do join. 

That wish appears to have changed over the last couple of days then.  Thanks, tbh I am not convinced that any place in the world is safer than anywhere else at present.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I don’t see that as posing any risk to tourists going to these countries though, so see no reason why any itineraries featuring these countries should be affected. 

Russia is an entirely different matter though. Whilst there probably is no physical risk in going there, it seems illogical to impose sanctions on a country that we then support with tourism income. The  bureaucracy and corruption there knows no bounds, so as sanctions begin to bite I could envisage the port authorities finding reasons why ships can’t leave on time without punitive ‘fees’.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I don’t see that as posing any risk to tourists going to these countries though, so see no reason why any itineraries featuring these countries should be affected. 

Russia is an entirely different matter though. Whilst there probably is no physical risk in going there, it seems illogical to impose sanctions on a country that we then support with tourism income. The  bureaucracy and corruption there knows no bounds, so as sanctions begin to bite I could envisage the port authorities finding reasons why ships can’t leave on time without punitive ‘fees’.

I agree. It would be illogical as well as immoral for the cruise lines to continue to feed the Russian tourist industry. St Petersburg is undoubtedly a big earner for the latter, and a boycot would hit it hard.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I agree. It would be illogical as well as immoral for the cruise lines to continue to feed the Russian tourist industry. St Petersburg is undoubtedly a big earner for the latter, and a boycot would hit it hard.

I don't doubt that cruise ships not going to St Petersburg would not affect the tourist industry for that city, and personally I feel it inappropriate for cruise ships to do so during the current situation.  However the bigger hit would be to stop the Finns from going there on their booze fueled short trips.

4 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Russia is set on establishing an Eastern Soviet zone in Ukraine,  knowing that it cannot  occupy the whole of the country.

Russia will never attack Sweden, as it would be the end of Russia, and probably the whole of Europe as well.

Cruising in a post-apocalyptic nuclear winter has no attraction, even in a balcony cabin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

Russia is set on establishing an Eastern Soviet zone in Ukraine,  knowing that it cannot  occupy the whole of the country.

Russia will never attack Sweden, as it would be the end of Russia, and probably the whole of Europe as well.

Cruising in a post-apocalyptic nuclear winter has no attraction, even in a balcony cabin.

That's definitely the time to opt for an inside cabin! 😁

• Haha 3

On 2/24/2022 at 11:43 PM, marlenecook said:

I can’t imagine cruise lines keeping St. Petersburg as a port stop even if Ukraine is far away. American and British passengers are a significant percentage of most cruises. It would be insane to take a ship full of them to a country that’s at war with their countries. The American state department lists Russia as “do not travel.” Insurance would never cover a mishap with that in place and the cruise lines wouldn’t risk it. 

While I certainly would not be visiting Russia at present due to their illegal war with Ukraine I would point out that America and the UK are not at war with Russia.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

You'd get a glowing tan.

• Like 1

I just posted this on the Princess Forum as it appears some people still want to go to St Petersburg:-

For those that haven’t yet been to St Pertersburg before you even get in sight of St Petersburg you go through a little tiny channel, just big enough to fit a cruise ship through. The Russia Navy has barracks etc , certainly on the left hand side when you go through, not sure what is on the right. It would be so easy to shut that off and trap ships inside the great big bay . I, for one, apart from not wanting to give Russian any of my money would not feel at all safe in there. You can’t even just stay on the ship and be safe as you are already in the bay. If I was booked on a cruise going there I would cancel even if it meant I would lose the money. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, amajaa said:

I just posted this on the Princess Forum as it appears some people still want to go to St Petersburg:-

For those that haven’t yet been to St Pertersburg before you even get in sight of St Petersburg you go through a little tiny channel, just big enough to fit a cruise ship through. The Russia Navy has barracks etc , certainly on the left hand side when you go through, not sure what is on the right. It would be so easy to shut that off and trap ships inside the great big bay . I, for one, apart from not wanting to give Russian any of my money would not feel at all safe in there. You can’t even just stay on the ship and be safe as you are already in the bay. If I was booked on a cruise going there I would cancel even if it meant I would lose the money. 

A useful post for some I am sure, thank you, but I would not suggest people cancel cruises at present if they would loose out financially. 

If the situation remains as it is at present I am sure the cruise lines will be cancelling all Russian ports, as many have already done.  For cruises next year, and even later this year, we do not yet know what the situation will be, so I do not see a lot of point in panicking at present.

Edited by tring
  • Like 4

I expect an announcement of SPB being dropped early next week.

Leaving aside security concerns, I believe there is sufficient pressure from the government to cut off Russia’s access to all that is good from the west, e.g. sport, tourism, international markets etc. This is backed up by a general European wide support against this war.

In usual P&O style, partly due to consumer laws in the UK, I expect P&O to want to work out the rescheduling before announcing. Other brands would say SPB dropped, further details to follow but that’s not the P&O way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Leaving aside security concerns, I believe there is sufficient pressure from the government to cut off Russia’s access to all that is good from the west, e.g. sport, tourism, international markets etc. This is backed up by a general European wide support against this war.

In usual P&O style, partly due to consumer laws in the UK, I expect P&O to want to work out the rescheduling before announcing. Other brands would say SPB dropped, further details to follow but that’s not the P&O way.

I agree this is the normal P&O process, but dont they recognise that this has a negative impact on their passengers, who would far rather have the immediate cancellation news, even  before the accurate rescheduling.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Thank you a lot for that Molecrochip, much appreciated.

Can I just say though that the instruction from P&O (as per our email) regards going to social media to get up to date information has not worked!  The official P&O  FB page has a post made on Thursday and no new threads since, but loads of comments consisting of snippets of comments being made by P&O as that thread has developed, along with a lot of mis information and panic from their customers, as happens on FB.  An official post made clearly, with comments turned off, would be very useful on there, especially as P&O are not responding to sensible questions, such as asking what is their up to date position regards those cruises.  I would put this comment of mine on another media, but it will not be acknowledged, though I do realise this is not the place.  You are likely the right person to be told about it though.

Edited by tring

24 minutes ago, tring said:

A useful post for some I am sure, thank you, but I would not suggest people cancel cruises at present if they would loose out financially. 

If the situation remains as it is at present I am sure the cruise lines will be cancelling all Russian ports, as many have already done.  For cruises next year, and even later this year, we do not yet know what the situation will be, so I do not see a lot of point in panicking at present.

Oh yes I agree, definitely wait and see what the Cruise Lines are going to go up with. When I said about cancelling I was meaning if a cruise was imminent as in the next few days.  I am sure the port will be cancelled as all sorts of things involving Russia are being cancelled or moved. 🇺🇦🇺🇦

3 minutes ago, amajaa said:

Oh yes I agree, definitely wait and see what the Cruise Lines are going to go up with. When I said about cancelling I was meaning if a cruise was imminent as in the next few days.  I am sure the port will be cancelled as all sorts of things involving Russia are being cancelled or moved. 🇺🇦🇺🇦

There are no Baltic cruises in the winter schedules, the summer schedules start during April and the first Baltic cruises are unlikely until May.

1 hour ago, amajaa said:

They'd certainly have you by the Gulags then.

• Like 1