PCR test required by Silversea within 48 hours prior to boarding

wren2

40 minutes ago, bohaiboy said:

Has anyone actually read the CDC website?  It does not specifically state PCR, but rather a Viral Test which can be PCR or Rapid Antigen and even the proctored home test kits.  Here the link dated 2/22/2022  .  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-travel-during-covid19.html

Please do not confuse this discussion of SS policy with fact.  😁

We continue to await clarification/retraction from Silversea.  I am a loyal customer of Silversea, but this is yet another sad development.  Perhaps the esteemed management should be spending more time managing shoreside and less time sailing on various vessels.  I continue to await the courtesy of a response from the esteemed chief commercial officer to a message regarding this important matter.

Just out of curiosity, I thought I would check to see the requirements from Celebrity, another RCL child.  Here goes:

All vaccinated guests must present a negative COVID-19 test result taken as either as an Antigen or PCR test conducted within two days of embarkation and complete a health questionnaire prior to sailing.

Apparently, Silversea marches to another drummer.

• Like 2

As test centres close down in the UK because tests are no longer required in most cases for travel, there is no test centre within 50 miles of where I live, so I can't comply. I am travelling the day before my cruise, so will be left to scour an unfamiliar city for a test, and may not get the results in time. This is utter madness. I think the only option now is to turn up and ask for a pier side test, and if that's impossible get a refund.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Clarification in the SM world that pierside testing will carry on through March. A shame that wasn’t in the original email!

As a reaction to Silversea's inept email I currently have PCR tests booked for 30th March for our sailing 1st April. This will incur a cost of £245 not to mention time off work for the tests to take place. (The high cost is as a result of the scarcity of testing options in more remote areas).  

Mr Silver Spectre - I'd appreciate you directing me to the communication you refer to please, to enable me to decide if I should be cancelling the self arranged tests.  

Edited by machotspur
Typo

Just received notification from my TA that Silversea will continue doing pier side tests. I am on the April 8 cruise. The London office told my TA that another email will be sent out. He was further told that they now realised how many difficulties this would cause passengers. Why does the President of Silversea allow these emails to be sent under his name without the ramifications  being considered?

Like some other passengers, I think this was a cost cutting exercise that backfired. Thank goodness Silversea had a rethink.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wren2 said:

Just received notification from my TA that Silversea will continue doing pier side tests. I am on the April 8 cruise. The London office told my TA that another email will be sent out. He was further told that they now realised how many difficulties this would cause passengers. Why does the President of Silversea allow these emails to be sent under his name without the ramifications  being considered?

Like some other passengers, I think this was a cost cutting exercise that backfired. Thank goodness Silversea had a rethink.

They might have had a rethink for your cruise but they have not rethought the policy. The SS web site still says it is the passenger's responsibility to get a PCR test within 48 hours of embarkation.

1 hour ago, wren2 said:

Like some other passengers, I think this was a cost cutting exercise that backfired. Thank goodness Silversea had a rethink..

Thank you for this wren2.

I have just got off the phone to my TA in London prior to reading your post. 

Her contact in the London office has confidently stated the following :-

- the 48 hour PCR tests will NOT be required at embarkation - the email we have all received is incorrect !

- Silversea will NOT be carrying out tests at embarkation - despite the comment in the email.

- a new Email will sent soon, replacing the previous erroneous one.

So - I guess we wait for the replacement email for confirmation of the Silversea error ! 

What a shambles !!! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Observer said:

Please do not confuse this discussion of SS policy with fact.  😁

We continue to await clarification/retraction from Silversea.  I am a loyal customer of Silversea, but this is yet another sad development.  Perhaps the esteemed management should be spending more time managing shoreside and less time sailing on various vessels.  I continue to await the courtesy of a response from the esteemed chief commercial officer to a message regarding this important matter.

Just out of curiosity, I thought I would check to see the requirements from Celebrity, another RCL child.  Here goes:

All vaccinated guests must present a negative COVID-19 test result taken as either as an Antigen or PCR test conducted within two days of embarkation and complete a health questionnaire prior to sailing.

Apparently, Silversea marches to another drummer.

Agreed. And the timing on this is unfortunate.

I can only surmise that the President and COO were busy with the Galapagos naming ceremony which was probably all-consuming. In the rush to get this out on March 1, it wasn’t researched properly nor were the implications considered. It smacks of being written by someone junior who doesn’t really know the customer and who hasn’t considered the reality of the implications. And on the surface it was a regurgitation of the new rules so it looked fine in the rush to get it out. No excuse for not letting crew know. Bad communication overall. Now they have to unscramble this egg.

Sort of like the folks in cruiseline air departments who just book the cheapest flight without thinking of how long it takes to get luggage, and go from the airport to the port. [This is not directed at Silversea specifically; it happens with ALL the cruise lines! Remember people who work in the corporate offices may have not travelled to those countries and aren’t aware of the timing issues or factors such as traffic problems.]

I have a problem with the 48 HOURS vs 2 DAYS. Supposed you arrive on a night flight from the US at 8am two days before your cruise. Normally I would say just test at the airport upon arrival, assuming the airports keep their testing sites open. However, with 48 hours as the requirement and boarding at 2pm this isn’t an option. Would have to find a testing facility in a strange city with an appointment in the afternoon. 

They will just need to offer pierside testing and if they have to charge for it so be it.  It’s a convenience to clients otherwise this whole process is a deterrent. They should be making it easy to travel/do business with them, not difficult. That’s the message the Chief Commercial Officer needs to send — they are making it easy given the requirements, not more complicated.

• Like 1

This is a quote from a quote so I hope it's accurate.

Regent also wants to put the testing cost on to the pax, I guess SS meant something like this but got it wrong:

"Regent Seven Seas Cruises will require that all guests arrive at the embarkation terminal with a negative COVID-19 PCR or Antigen test result from a third-party verified laboratory or pharmacy, taken within 48 hours of arriving to the terminal for cruises beginning in a U.S. port or within 72 hours for all other cruises.  All guests must provide proof of a negative test result at embarkation in a digital or printed format.  Guests not in possession of a negative, third-party Covid-19 test result will not be allowed to embark for the voyage.

For guests unable to arrange a test within 48 or 72 hours of arriving to the terminal, Regent will have on-site testing available at the pier for a fee of $99 per test. Please be advised that testing at the terminal may result in delayed embarkation. "

(My italics and bolding)

• Thanks 2

I think we all agree, this was really a total mess and Corporate blew it.  So, as mentioned earlier, we will just wait and see when/if a NEW, UPDATED letter is sent out. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I think we all agree, this was really a total mess and Corporate blew it.  So, as mentioned earlier, we will just wait and see when/if a NEW, UPDATED letter is sent out. 

Would be nice to receive before final payment. 😱

Agree it’s a mess

but if it were required you can get a rapid pcr test at any airport 

expensive but doable as I have done it twice

results in 45 minutes 

btw if anyone here interested I have been doing a live from the moon on crystal board. Tons of photos. I think many crystal regulars will try silversea  lots of interest 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, bitob said:

Agree it’s a mess

but if it were required you can get a rapid pcr test at any airport 

expensive but doable as I have done it twice

results in 45 minutes 

btw if anyone here interested I have been doing a live from the moon on crystal board. Tons of photos. I think many crystal regulars will try silversea  lots of interest 

If only it were as simple as you suggest. Not all airports still offer pcr tests. At Reykjavik (KEF) for example, only antigen tests are offered and that is at an off site testing facility. No testing is being done directly in the airport according to the KEF web site. If you want a pcr test you have to schedule one with the Icelandic Health Ministry in Reykjavik and they warn that pcr test results can take 48+ hours. I can't take a test at home because I leave more than 48 hours prior to embarkation. And I can't get a test in Reykjavik because results can take too long. 

16 minutes ago, Alturia said:

If only it were as simple as you suggest. Not all airports still offer pcr tests. At Reykjavik (KEF) for example, only antigen tests are offered and that is at an off site testing facility. No testing is being done directly in the airport according to the KEF web site. If you want a pcr test you have to schedule one with the Icelandic Health Ministry in Reykjavik and they warn that pcr test results can take 48+ hours. I can't take a test at home because I leave more than 48 hours prior to embarkation. And I can't get a test in Reykjavik because results can take too long. 

Just got a message yesterday saying Iceland is completely open, if that’s your concern.

32 minutes ago, bitob said:

That is the exception not the rule

email  hotel concierge

they can arrange

i did that in Spain 

FWIW, KEF is not the only exception.  For example, I am joining Regent Explorer in Civitavecchia but am arriving by another ship.  I have no intention of taking a 2-3 hour, $200+ roundtrip to FCO to find a rapid test site, then pay the freight for that.  I can scour the little town looking for a testing site, but why should I have to do so?  Isn't this supposed to be a 6 star experience?  Let's not start it by treating pax as if they are boarding "Blank of the Seas", particularly at these prices.  So I will just pay Regent to do what SS should be doing without exception until this whole thing blows over.  SS needs to just do the antigen tests at the pier and charge if they must.

Good to hear about your positive onboard experiences currently, though..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, machotspur said:

As a reaction to Silversea's inept email I currently have PCR tests booked for 30th March for our sailing 1st April. This will incur a cost of £245 not to mention time off work for the tests to take place. (The high cost is as a result of the scarcity of testing options in more remote areas).  

Mr Silver Spectre - I'd appreciate you directing me to the communication you refer to please, to enable me to decide if I should be cancelling the self arranged tests.  

Apologies for the delayed response, we have been off dancing with Zulus and things have moved on while we were away.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zqtchas said:

Just got a message yesterday saying Iceland is completely open, if that’s your concern.

No the concern is Silversea - not Iceland -  requiring a PCR test within 48 hours of embarkation.

Herman, all; pulled this off the Healthy Sailing tab on the main Silversea.com page:

Health & Safety

Effective March 2022, all guests are required to present a negative PCR test result, administered by a verified third party within 2 days prior to boarding.
Only those who test negative will be permitted to board our ships. All guests will undergo a pre-embarkation health screening including an enhanced health questionnaire and daily touchless temperature checks.

While Silversea will facilitate entry into each port of call during each voyage, guests are responsible for complying with entry requirements for the country of embarkation, as well as the travel requirements affecting their return journeys.
These regulations could include a COVID-19 test (PCR or other).

At this stage, safety requirements for travel are evolving very rapidly. The latest information regarding safety regulations for the voyage will be communicated to guests no later than 30 days prior to sailing.

Hi Wes, that is what this entire mess is all about...........they need to just go back to testing at the port like it has been since last summer.

7 hours ago, machotspur said:

Thank you for this wren2.

I have just got off the phone to my TA in London prior to reading your post. 

Her contact in the London office has confidently stated the following :-

- the 48 hour PCR tests will NOT be required at embarkation - the email we have all received is incorrect !

- Silversea will NOT be carrying out tests at embarkation - despite the comment in the email.

- a new Email will sent soon, replacing the previous erroneous one.

So - I guess we wait for the replacement email for confirmation of the Silversea error ! 

What a shambles !!! 

This is at least good news, that they realized what a colossal error it was and are on to correcting the mistake.  Eagerly awaiting the retraction