Gratuities in the Specialty restaurants

drakes2

December 2021 on the Equinox we had a cabin that included all specialty dining. We had lunch in Sushi on 5 and were not presented with a bill, but tipped the waitress $10 for the two of us. If we have a waiter at any venue that is not our 'regular' (and chances are will not have the pleasure of their services again) we will tip $5 breakfast, $10 for lunch, $20 for dinner. Now if the venue presented me with a bill for the gratuity, which they did not, I would have to think harder about if the service deserved even more.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

December 2021 on the Equinox we had a cabin that included all specialty dining. We had lunch in Sushi on 5 and were not presented with a bill, but tipped the waitress $10 for the two of us. If we have a waiter at any venue that is not our 'regular' (and chances are will not have the pleasure of their services again) we will tip $5 breakfast, $10 for lunch, $20 for dinner. Now if the venue presented me with a bill for the gratuity, which they did not, I would have to think harder about if the service deserved even more.

Did your cabin also include all gratuities no matter where you dined on the ship or did you remove those?  Specialty dining tipping is a personal choice over and above the included grats but we would tip according to service and not a preset amount for each.

6 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I thought I read somewhere that the specialty restaurants are now charging a 20% gratuity in addition to the meal.  Could someone please clarify?

I believe you are correct that tips are not included by the following line under Murano.   I read that as meaning Gratuities are not included.  

Having said that I just tried doing a mock booking and it does not add the 20% Gratuities at checkout.     I booked a room bar setup earlier today and it automatically added the 20% gratuity.     So.... I have to conclude -  I don't know.

"Additional items such as beverages, menu supplements, food and wine pairings and gratuities are not included."

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Specialty dining tipping is a personal choice over and above the included grats but we would tip according to service and not a preset amount for each.

I tip the same whether the gratuities are included or not included. The gratuities, DSC (discretionary service charges) are the $$ going to all those 'behind the scenes' like chefs and those cleaning the railings, etc that one would not tip or come 'in contact with'. I find tipping those I come in contact with very easy. I just put myself in the role of the service provider providing me the service and the amount I think I am worth for the service I provided. I generally tip myself $100-$200, one time I was only worth $20 for the weeks cruise.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I thought I read somewhere that the specialty restaurants are now charging a 20% gratuity in addition to the meal.  Could someone please clarify?

The gratuity was included in the cost of the meal.  On the bottom of the bill, there is a statement regarding the included gratuity.  There is a line for an additional gratuity if you wish to do so.  (Sometimes, you will not get a bill at the end of the night).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I understood the gratuities were includes in the per person price and we never received a bill at the end to add anything.  In Sushi on 5 for instance we pay a la carte and receive a bill to which we add the proper gratuity.

I am not sure how it works in Le Bistro which is $20/pp.  If in doubt we do add something.  If some know if the $20 pp includes gratuity I would like to know. Will be dining there on Sunday at noon!

4 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Did your cabin also include all gratuities no matter where you dined on the ship or did you remove those?  Specialty dining tipping is a personal choice over and above the included grats but we would tip according to service and not a preset amount for each.

The tipping structure on Celebrity has never included Specialty restaurants.  The tip for the services comes out the the fee paid  by the diner, always been that way. Anything rules is personal choice.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hawkstar33 said:

$20 in the hand of the waiter always gets a ty

Absolutely....we always leave $$s with our server and maitre d', but over many years of cruising X our understanding is...there's a portion of the specialty restaurants charge going in which includes gratuity...what % I don't know.  And....there's years of this type of thread with pros, cons, and misinformation.  :classic_wink:

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

And....there's years of this type of thread with pros, cons, and misinformation.  :classic_wink:

I can't remember what I ate last night, but, I do remember I commented on this topic last week.

While I posted " exactly " what we were told on several occasions ( a few years ago--- because we haven't cruised since Covid ), I was politely corrected as I believe the " policy " regarding pooling tips has changed. My point---- Who " really " knows ??

As a fellow Canadian-- Where is Southern Canada ?? Florida ???

3 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

I can't remember what I ate last night, but, I do remember I commented on this topic last week.

While I posted " exactly " what we were told on several occasions ( a few years ago--- because we haven't cruised since Covid ), I was politely corrected as I believe the " policy " regarding pooling tips has changed. My point---- Who " really " knows ??

As a fellow Canadian-- Where is Southern Canada ?? Florida ???

Your memory is good in some areas and off in others...you've asked me the same question before and I responded then......but again, why should I be remembered at all?

1 minute ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Your memory is good in some areas and off in others...you've asked me the same question before and I responded then......but again, why should I be remembered at all?

LOL----I can't remember what I ate last night. I can't remember what your answers was.  

( If it's against the Guidelines to ask a question like that, no offense meant )

why should I be remembered at all ? -- Easy, I enjoy reading your posts.

Just now, Pinboy said:

LOL----I can't remember what I ate last night. I can't remember what your answers was.  

( If it's against the Guidelines to ask a question like that, no offense meant )

why should I be remembered at all ? -- Easy, I enjoy reading your posts.

Can't believe that's against ANY guidelines....but...I was as vague then as I am now....:classic_wink:.  And...I can always count on you for 'cute' answer.

1 minute ago, Oceangoer2 said:

And...I can always count on you for 'cute' answer.

I don't know what you mean by " cute " --- But, I never mean to be " snarky ".

How about these topics for something new for CCers to discuss, debate, challenge etc as an activity on the cruise, similar to 20 Questions :

" Where Ya from " ?  

" What was/is your occupation" ? 

If ya stump the audience , you win a water bottle or a key chain ---  A $2 bottle of Celebrity brand  champagne ( ?? ) is too expensive . You only get one of these when you purchase a painting -- must be over $ 2000 to qualify .

Either one is better than that  " Newlywed " game , etc etc.--- Every friggin cruise !!!

(  Here they come -- " So don't watch it ") !!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

I don't know what you mean by " cute " --- But, I never mean to be " snarky ".

How about these topics for something new for CCers to discuss, debate, challenge etc as an activity on the cruise, similar to 20 Questions :

" Where Ya from " ?  

" What was/is your occupation" ? 

If ya stump the audience , you win a water bottle or a key chain ---  A $2 bottle of Celebrity brand  champagne ( ?? ) is too expensive . You only get one of these when you purchase a painting -- must be over $ 2000 to qualify .

Either one is better than that  " Newlywed " game , etc etc.--- Every friggin cruise !!!

(  Here they come -- " So don't watch it ") !!

Hey....we won a totally upscale bottle of champagne...LOL....on the Newly or not so newly wed game a few years ago.  Our answers still embarrass us that "we said THAT"!!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, dkjretired said:

The tipping structure on Celebrity has never included Specialty restaurants.  The tip for the services comes out the the fee paid  by the diner, always been that way. Anything rules is personal choice.

Back to the  point...LOL.......PRESENTLY, this is what's found on the X site re gratuities...

Guests that booked prior to Nov. 17, 2020 (without Always Included) or booked Simply Sail pricing:
For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion:

• $15.50 USD per person, per day for standard accommodations
• $16.00 USD per person, per day for Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms
• $19.00 USD per person, per day for guests of The Retreat

This gratuity is shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants, and other Stateroom Services Personnel that work to enhance your cruise. A 20% gratuity will be added to all beverages, mini bar purchases and beverage packages. An 18% gratuity will be added to all spa & salon purchases onboard. (This ALL applies to those without the AI package).

Effective November 17, 2020, with the Always Included℠ Pricing Package:
Beverage package gratuities and daily gratuities for Dining Service Staff, Stateroom Attendants, and other Stateroom Service Personnel are included as part of Always Included pricing. An 18% gratuity will be added to all spa & salon purchases onboard.

Above does NOT break out specialty from other dining venues.  IMO grats are included and the diner has the discretion to add to that tip.  Please correct me if I'm wrong....we certainly don't want to ignore well deserved service gratuities.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Back to the  point...LOL.......PRESENTLY, this is what's found on the X site re gratuities...

Guests that booked prior to Nov. 17, 2020 (without Always Included) or booked Simply Sail pricing:
For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion:

• $15.50 USD per person, per day for standard accommodations
• $16.00 USD per person, per day for Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms
• $19.00 USD per person, per day for guests of The Retreat

This gratuity is shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants, and other Stateroom Services Personnel that work to enhance your cruise. A 20% gratuity will be added to all beverages, mini bar purchases and beverage packages. An 18% gratuity will be added to all spa & salon purchases onboard. (This ALL applies to those without the AI package).

Effective November 17, 2020, with the Always Included℠ Pricing Package:
Beverage package gratuities and daily gratuities for Dining Service Staff, Stateroom Attendants, and other Stateroom Service Personnel are included as part of Always Included pricing. An 18% gratuity will be added to all spa & salon purchases onboard.

Above does NOT break out specialty from other dining venues.  IMO grats are included and the diner has the discretion to add to that tip.  Please correct me if I'm wrong....we certainly don't want to ignore well deserved service gratuities.

Specialties have never been included from the time of the first Specialty restaurant. You can interpret anyway you wish, I’m just telling you what it has always been . Why would Celebrity  include them in the tipping structure when they are getting their tips from the service charge, doesn’t make any sense. Doesn’t really matter, if you are paying the service charge you are tipping them.

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 1

Just now, dkjretired said:

Specialties have never been included from the time of the first Specialty restaurant. You can interpret anyway you wish, I’m just telling you what it has always been . Why would Celebrity  include them in the tipping structure when they are getting their tips from the service charge, doesn’t make any sense.

I can't argue with someone who obviously must be in the X accounting decision making hierarchy judging by your very firm statements.  Please share your source to set us all straight and we can stop discussing this.

38 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I can't argue with someone who obviously must be in the X accounting decision making hierarchy judging by your very firm statements.  Please share your source to set us all straight and we can stop discussing this.

Snarky…

• Like 1

Just now, LMHSRN said:

Very!

The price we pay for speciality dining includes the tip.  The prices have gone up along with the tip amount increasing.  (18% to 20%).  Tip away to your hearts content if you wish to add to the tip.

thing we have all heard enough from the people who want to argue about everything.

• Like 2

Not snarky when only asking for reliable source for information.  Truly interested.  This has been much discussed and it seems with no resolution, other than what I posted from the website.  If someone is in a position of actually being certain I think we'd like to know.  There's another thread with the same title and same posters?  IMO replying with this type of comment is, in itself, snarky...:classic_wink:

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Haha 1