Gratuities in the Specialty restaurants

drakes2

As a person who has never been on any cruise (1st one coming in July) I have read several of these tip threads and can never seem to figure out what to do. I was excited about having all gratuities included in my fare so I would not have to carry a bunch of cash around, but these boards make me feel like I might be being "cheap" if I don't tip extra at the Martini bar etc. Is tipping in specialty restaurants the norm or not? I'm very willing to tip people--I put myself through college waitressing. I just thought it was taken care of in that always included. Is it the norm to tip your masseuse? Or is it just the norm for the folks on these boards? What are the average balcony cabin dwellers doing? I feel like the wonderfully informative folks on these boards probably have more discretionary spending that I do! 😄

2 minutes ago, LMHSRN said:

The price we pay for speciality dining includes the tip.  The prices have gone up along with the tip amount increasing.  (18% to 20%).  Tip away to your hearts content if you wish to add to the tip.

thing we have all heard enough from the people who want to argue about everything.

Ummm?  You've made my point I think,  as I did think SD included the tip and one COULD add at their discretion.  Most of us don't want to argue, just ask a question and expect a helpful answer.  I posted the X site info...no more, no less which engendered an unexpected response. I'm sure there are many posters who know more about most subjects than I so I defer to them.  Just would like to know where the information is supported so we can move on.

6 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Ummm?  You've made my point I think,  as I did think SD included the tip and one COULD add at their discretion.  Most of us don't want to argue, just ask a question and expect a helpful answer.  I posted the X site info...no more, no less which engendered an unexpected response. I'm sure there are many posters who know more about most subjects than I so I defer to them.  Just would like to know where the information is supported so we can move on.

Just can't stop can you?

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Not snarky when only asking for reliable source for information.  Truly interested.  This has been much discussed and it seems with no resolution, other than what I posted from the website.  If someone is in a position of actually being certain I think we'd like to know.  There's another thread with the same title and same posters?  IMO replying with this type of comment is, in itself, snarky...:classic_wink:

My only comment is this is common knowledge and has been for long before you joined this board. As I said interpret anyway you wish, I won’t be responding back to someone so closed minded to reality. Charter member of this board, never been accused of working for Celebrity, that’s a first but good laugh anyway. 

Edited by dkjretired
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dgoz said:

As a person who has never been on any cruise (1st one coming in July) I have read several of these tip threads and can never seem to figure out what to do

It's just not while one is cruising on water, but cruising through life as well, that the adage "It's better to give than receive" holds sway. We will not be judged by the amount we give, as you stated some have "more discretionary spending" abilities than others. The world is filled with givers and takers. We have choices to make as we age. As Oscar Wilde once said "With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone."

2 hours ago, dgoz said:

As a person who has never been on any cruise (1st one coming in July) I have read several of these tip threads and can never seem to figure out what to do. I was excited about having all gratuities included in my fare so I would not have to carry a bunch of cash around, but these boards make me feel like I might be being "cheap" if I don't tip extra at the Martini bar etc. Is tipping in specialty restaurants the norm or not? I'm very willing to tip people--I put myself through college waitressing. I just thought it was taken care of in that always included. Is it the norm to tip your masseuse? Or is it just the norm for the folks on these boards? What are the average balcony cabin dwellers doing? I feel like the wonderfully informative folks on these boards probably have more discretionary spending that I do! 😄

I think you should feel free to go on the ship and not tip anybody unless you think they deserve it.  You do have prepaid gratuities for your waitstaff and room attendant.  All drinks will include 20% gratuity, and the specialty dining price includes gratuity as well.  I believe a gratuity is added on to the price of any spa appointments automatically as well.  When you are off the ship is where that stops.  When you drop your bags at the port, shore excursions, etc.  

A lot of people on this board like to tip extra, but I don't think it is the expectation by any of the crew.  I know I will tip more than normal on our upcoming cruise, but that is only because I feel like I can help people with the extra tips since they've been struggling with Covid much more than I have over the last couple of years.  It's something that will have little effect on my total vacation cost, but I believe will have an impact on those receiving the extra gratuity.

Edited by josh1324342
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I'm sure there are many posters who know more about most subjects than I so I defer to them.  Just would like to know where the information is supported so we can move on.

When I have dined  in a Specialty Restaurant,  there has been a statement on the bottom of the receipt or bill indicating that a gratuity of (18% or  now 20%) has been included.  There is a space to add additional $$$ for exceptional service.  Often, we are not offered a bill as it had been prepaid.  In that case, we ask for one in order to add additional OBC.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, keesar said:

When I have dined  in a Specialty Restaurant,  there has been a statement on the bottom of the receipt or bill indicating that a gratuity of (18% or  now 20%) has been included.  There is a space to add additional $$$ for exceptional service.  Often, we are not offered a bill as it had been prepaid.  In that case, we ask for one in order to add additional OBC.

We have never received a bill either, but always left a little 'extra' in appreciation for the fine  service we enjoyed in the specialty restaurants. With all the comments here and in other threads there seemed to be some confusion and we didn't want to short change these excellent servers if we misunderstood and the 'included gratuities' had been removed.  Thanks for clearing this up.

53 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

Does tipping extra apply to Blu? I thought that was all included.

The extra tipping does not apply to Blu.  You may want to leave something extra at the end of the cruise to your servers but that is up to you.   The usual gratuities in Blu are covered in the daily fees posted to your account or are included if you have 'Its included' in your fare.  

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Tipping. What it comes down to for most people is to know what is already included and if you want to give more that is entirely your business.  

Absolutely correct-- The difficulty , I assume for most people, is to " know what is already included ", as there are so many different " opinions ", yet , who " really " knows. 

Speaking for myself---- I'm OK with the Gratuities Included charge when we book. Because we are non -drinkers , I do understand the pooling of tips at the bars. However, in a Specialty restaurant, the MDR, or Blu , while I understand that tips are included in the price, I always tip " extra " to our Server(s ) and Maitre'd and want him/her to keep it for themselves. End of story. 

12 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Absolutely correct-- The difficulty , I assume for most people, is to " know what is already included ", as there are so many different " opinions ", yet , who " really " knows. 

Speaking for myself---- I'm OK with the Gratuities Included charge when we book. Because we are non -drinkers , I do understand the pooling of tips at the bars. However, in a Specialty restaurant, the MDR, or Blu , while I understand that tips are included in the price, I always tip " extra " to our Server(s ) and Maitre'd and want him/her to keep it for themselves. End of story. 

haha....end of 'your' story....sometimes these threads have a life longer than they should...:classic_sad:

2 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

I am not aware of many personal services onboard a Celebrity ship that do not have a built-in gratuity.  That includes wait staff for dining (MDR, BLU, Luminae and Specialty), cabin housekeeping services,  room service, butler service, any bar service or beverage package, the list goes on.  The exception maybe is concierges (The Retreat, Captain's Club Host, Concierge Class).   Off ship, tipping is generally not included- e.g.,  the porters handling luggage for you at the ports, transportation services, excursion guides.  So anything onboard the ship you add a cash tip (or OBC) is an extra amount and a personal choice.  Of course some of these extra tips are more customary (like for your butler) but not actually required.

23 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

haha....end of 'your' story....sometimes these threads have a life longer than they should...:classic_sad:

LOL--- How many times can , will this same topic come up ? 

Southern Canada ?? Now, I got it--- right on the ocean in Edmonton.

42 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

So anything onboard the ship you add a cash tip (or OBC) is an extra amount and a personal choice. 

Exactly--- And, IMO, should be kept by the person receiving it, except in the bars.

Edited by Pinboy
spelling mistake

3 hours ago, Pinboy said:

LOL--- How many times can , will this same topic come up ? 

Southern Canada ?? Now, I got it--- right on the ocean in Edmonton.

good guess....you catch on fast!  but a little off.......somewhere near Saskatchewan on the shores of a great lake?  :classic_unsure: 

On 3/7/2022 at 1:01 PM, dgoz said:

Very well said!!!!

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

good guess....you catch on fast!  but a little off.......somewhere near Saskatchewan on the shores of a great lake?  :classic_unsure: 

Last “ Kick at the can “ — Quebec City  😉

On 3/7/2022 at 2:20 PM, dkjretired said:

My only comment is this is common knowledge and has been for long before you joined this board. As I said interpret anyway you wish, I won’t be responding back to someone so closed minded to reality. Charter member of this board, never been accused of working for Celebrity, that’s a first but good laugh anyway. 

So we have Elite, Elite+, Zenith et al, now we have a "charter member" of this board, how special, thanks for the laugh 🤣

• Haha 1

I am enjoying this banter about gratuity.  However, we had drinks with people from New Zealand one cruise and they were not going to give gratuity to anyone. We were surprised and would never do that.  However, they say that is not their custom.  To each their own.

On 3/7/2022 at 6:01 PM, dgoz said:

Gratuities are included. Anything extra is entirely up to you.  Do what you feel comfortable with.