Seattle Pre-Cruise Hotel Recommendation

islesdave

gvgseg...you might want to take the Monorail to & from Westlake Center (very close to the Hyatt) to the Seattle Center where the Space Needle is located.  The kids will get a kick out of that.  It's about a 2 minute ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting nervous that after reading 5 pages in this thread, no mention of the Fairmont Olympic.  I booked it because I liked the historic aspect and the indoor pool looked fun for my kids, but now I'm wondering if there's something wrong with it since nobody is mentioning it.  Is it okay? Rates are high everywhere we looked so the price is about the same as a lot of the other options being mentioned. It looks like not too far from Pike's Place (google maps says a 10 minute walk) but others have mentioned the uphill vs downhills distinction and now I'm wondering if I screwed up 😞 

5 hours ago, MommyOTwins said:

Is it okay?

The Fairmont is one of the best hotels in downtown Seattle. Another that you will find little note of is the Four Seasons. They are out of reach for most.  Before we moved here our preference was to stay at the Fairmont or Inn at the Market, when we could get a decent rate at either. Usually not during cruise season though.

• Like 2

The Olympic Hotel (Fairmount Olympic) is the Grand Dame of Seattle hotels.  Some of the cruise lines at least use to house cruise guests that opted in for the pre-cruise hotel package (I am not sure if the Fairmount is still used for this).

Every Christmas, the Fairmount Olympic opens up a group of rooms to showcase their annual Teddy Bear Suite to the delight of adults and children alike.

Other than visiting the Teddy Bear Suite during the holidays, or dining in the icon Georgian Room (which now looks like it's call The George), I never stayed there (always out of my price range LOL)

One time during the 1990's, my husband and I were taking the escalator up to the lobby, and my husband leaned over to me and pointed out David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) was coming down the adjoining escalator. 

Anyway, it's a beautiful hotel, rich in Seattle history.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MommyOTwins said:

Getting nervous that after reading 5 pages in this thread, no mention of the Fairmont Olympic.  I booked it because I liked the historic aspect and the indoor pool looked fun for my kids, but....

I am sure I mentioned the Olympic, if not this thread, then many other "where to stay in Seattle"threads.

I don't mention it or the Four Seasons since the people who are asking seem to be looking for chea.... errr, value hotels.

The Olympic is great. Always has been, probably always will be. It is a great location too.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, MommyOTwins said:

Getting nervous that after reading 5 pages in this thread, no mention of the Fairmont Olympic.  I booked it because I liked the historic aspect and the indoor pool looked fun for my kids, but now I'm wondering if there's something wrong with it since nobody is mentioning it.  Is it okay? Rates are high everywhere we looked so the price is about the same as a lot of the other options being mentioned. It looks like not too far from Pike's Place (google maps says a 10 minute walk) but others have mentioned the uphill vs downhills distinction and now I'm wondering if I screwed up 😞 

Perhaps not in this thread, but many have mentioned the Fairmont Olympic, including myself. Had a wonderful stay pre-cruise last year (July 2021) for the second sailing of the Celebrity Millennium. 

We booked two Executive Suites, one for Son and DIL and one for us using Chase Reserve Ultimate rewards. Seamless stay, loved the location and breakfast at the Olympic Bar was excellent. 

We didn't use the pool or other facilities but did walk the entire property and felt it was very clean. The hotel arranged private transportation to the pier the morning of our departure - prompt and professional. The Fairmont is more than okay ... enjoy your stay and cruise 🙂

• Like 3

Ok phew, thanks everyone.  We got a discount so the Fairmont Olympic was only about $450 a night which for July seemed to be the going rate for a lot of nicer Seattle hotels. Looking forward to kicking off the cruise with a nice hotel stay.

• Like 2

We are coming in July for a one night stay before the cruise. We get in early afternoon and the plan was to get to the hotel, probably eat/sightsee a little bit and then head to the Mariners game later in the day. The following morning (Friday) we were going to get up early and walk around Pike Market Place before heading to the pier. Our flight home doesn't leave until late night the day we disembark so our plan was to see the space needle and surrounding area that day. We are currently booked at the Hyatt Regency as it got good reviews and was reasonably priced ($250) compared to other hotels. Is there much to walk to for sightseeing/food/beverage near the Hyatt Regency? Are we reasonable walking distance to public transportation (arriving from airport, going to/from Mariners game, etc)? Are we reasonable walking distance to/from Pike Market Place for a Friday morning visit? Are all of these areas in safer parts of Seattle in terms of walking around, including at night when coming back from the Mariners game? If not, certainly open to other suggestions in a similar price range. Thanks!

We are staying at the Warwick next month for the one night before our sailing, hoping it's in a good spot to walk to the market Friday morning before we set off that afternoon. We don't have to worry about transportation otherwise our TA was able to set up transportation from airport to hotel, then hotel to port, and then port to airport when we return for a little over $400 for 7 of us, so comes out to about $55 a person for all the transportation we'll need in Seattle for the whole trip.

12 hours ago, MommyOTwins said:

Ok phew, thanks everyone.  We got a discount so the Fairmont Olympic was only about $450 a night which for July seemed to be the going rate for a lot of nicer Seattle hotels. Looking forward to kicking off the cruise with a nice hotel stay.

That seems like a fairly competitive price given the influx of travel to Seattle this summer. We got a smokin' rate of $303 per suite all in (except for the $20 "resort fee" payable at the hotel upon check in) last year. Doubt we'll see those rates anytime soon. Have fun!!!!

• 7 months later...

Hello, 

I read  (ok maybe just skimmed )through the previous five pages. We are flying to Seattle early for our cruise and wil need a hotel for 2 nights. Planning to explore Pike Place Market an the Space Needle. 

I have the Hyatt House @ the Space Needle booked.

Is that a safe area and good location?

I know the monorail is right there and we can take it to the Westlake Center and walk from there to the Market. Would it be better to stay closer to Pike Place and take the monorail to Space needle? 

On 12/20/2022 at 2:30 AM, Tara12 said:

Which hotels are closest to pier66? 

I’ve booked the Belltown inn which according to google maps is a 9 minute walk from pier66 and I think it’s pretty much downhill all the way from the hotel. 

On 12/20/2022 at 7:11 AM, avic77 said:

I have the Hyatt House @ the Space Needle booked. I know the monorail is right there and we can take it to the Westlake Center and walk from there to the Market. Would it be better to stay closer to Pike Place and take the monorail to Space needle? 

Personal choice. I like being next to Pike Place because I love the food there, but the Hyatt House is a very nice place in a good location. I wouldn't bother changing.

• Thanks 1

On 12/22/2022 at 1:01 PM, scottca075 said:

Personal choice. I like being next to Pike Place because I love the food there, but the Hyatt House is a very nice place in a good location. I wouldn't bother changing.

Question, we are arriving at SeaTac around 11 am, 2 days prior to cruise on September 2023. This will be our first time in Seattle. We are very active and can walk around no problem. After dropping our luggage at hotel, we are planning to explore Pike Place market grab a lite lunch and possibly grab dinner there as well. Looking for other attractions recommendations for the 2nd day, also the best way to get around if uber or light rail. All recommendations are welcome and Thanks in advanced.

On 12/25/2022 at 10:45 AM, destar said:

Question, we are arriving at SeaTac around 11 am, 2 days prior to cruise on September 2023. This will be our first time in Seattle. We are very active and can walk around no problem. After dropping our luggage at hotel, we are planning to explore Pike Place market grab a lite lunch and possibly grab dinner there as well. Looking for other attractions recommendations for the 2nd day, also the best way to get around if uber or light rail. All recommendations are welcome and Thanks in advanced.

This might not be the right thread as this is hotel recommendations, but here is my mega list. For most things in downtown Seattle, if you're active, you can walk to wherever you need to go, keeping in mind we are VERY hilly (most people only think of SF for hills).

1) Din Tai Fung/Dough Zone  ($$)- I like both - they are excellent choices for dumplings and noodles. Din Tai Fung is a global chain where Dough Zone is more local, but you can't go wrong with either. These two places are where I'd miss if we left Seattle.

2) Sushi ($$$) -Momji Sushi in Capitol Hill is PHENOMENAL. There are a lot of good sushi places, but this is a standout for me.

3) Salt and Straw ($) - technically a Portland import and growing nationally, but the best ice cream in the country, hands down.

4) Canon ($$$) - expensive, but their craft cocktails are theatre in itself. On the drink menu, the icon next to the drink description is what it will be served in. Some examples - a glass apple, a metal canon, an IV bag, a Nintendo Cartridge....and more!

5) Rhein Haus ($)  is a cozy traditional beer hall with great appetizers.

6) Butcher's Table ($$$$) - is our favorite steak place in the city. I love the ambiance and their steak flights are worth it.

7) Bateau ($$$$) - They were just featured in the NY Times - they pride themselves on using all cuts of meat of the cow - so you'll get cuts that you won't see on most menus. The earlier you can make a reservation in the night, the better- when a cut is gone, it's gone for the evening.

8.  Starbucks Reserve Roastery ($)  -- skip the "original" Starbucks at Pike Place and go to the Roastery and Reserve room in Capitol Hill. It's a Willy Wonka of coffee - with giant copper roasters, artesian sandwiches, craft cocktails and unique Starbucks gifts for the Starbucks obsessed. The proscuitto, parm, and argula on croissant seems like it can be made anywhere but it is so heavenly. 

9. Another Starbucks trick - the Starbucks in Columbia Tower on Floor 40. It's free to go in, and you get views of the city higher than the Space Needle.

10. Craft Beer - We have some of the best craft beer in the country because most hops are grown in Yakima Valley, WA. Be sure to try Reuben's Brews, Fremont Brewing, Cloudburst and Holy Mountain.

11. Some Random Bar ($$) - In Belltown, used to be my go to for Happy Hour. Try the crab nachos and the house made pina colada (for real - wouldn't think Seattle = Pina Colada, but yes, awesome)

12. Dino's Tomato Pie  ($)- If you're missing East Coast pizza, this is the closest thing to it. It's owned by a ex-Jersey guy, and we would happily pay out the nose for delivery to get this pizza. I almost brought it home on the train with me.

13. The Pink Door ($$$) - Views of the Sound from Pike Place Market - excellent Italian food, and sometimes there's circus-like acts of entertainment.

14. Quick bites at the Market: Grabbing a Grilled Cheese at Beechers ($) - then walking through the market where the arts and crafts are on the top floor - you'll come to an outdoor patio with views of the sound that's kind of hidden away, and therefore, not as crowded. For a less touristy selection at the market -  Farvahar Persian Cafe ($) is a family run stand that is so good.

15. Copperworks Distillery  ($$) - Located right near the touristy pier, the building is amazing and their spirits are good enough to take home.  

(Still Seattle, but not downtown but worth an Uber):

12. Windy City Pie (Greenlake) ($) - really intereting Chicago style pies

13. Cafe Munir (Ballard/Crownhill)  ($$) - Our favorite local joint in Ballard for Lebanese food - I miss their hummus and garlic sauce so much.

14. Pestle Rock (Ballard) ($$) - This is Northern Thai food - so beyond a Pad Thai and a Curry Chicken - really interesting dishes.

15.  Ray's Boathouse (Ballard) ($$$) - a Seattle staple that's on the water and great seafood.

16.  The Masonry (Fremont)  ($$) - Great coal fired pies and an amazing craft beer selection, with outdoor seating/fire pits.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 12/25/2022 at 10:45 AM, destar said:

psuboater gave you some awesome info. I'll be in Seattle on a cruise in July and while I've been there before, it's been a while. Pike Place Market is so much fun, you won't be disappointed, keep in mind, it can get very busy. I've been watching YouTube video's on places to eat, where to stay and must see things to do. I would recommend that for information as well.

Have fun planning!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

psuboater has given you great suggestions of many of our favorite places. ( Full disclosure, she is my daughter!)

I would add some places for recreation. The Chihuly Museum of Glass if you are into Art. It is conveniently located next to the Space Needle.
The Museum of History and Industry, if you would like a comprehensive overview of the history of the Northwest.

And, finally, the salmon ladder at the locks in Ballard. It is on the water next to a beautiful garden like setting. It is a relaxing afternoon where you can watch all kinds of boats travel through the locks, salmon swimming upstream, and you might even see a seal or two.