Wonder if the Seas - Beware - No WiFi Calling

On 3/16/2022 at 8:46 AM, Ocean Boy said:

However, blue tooth allows you to connect your phone to the cars sound system and answer calls with steering wheel controls as well as hear through the sound system and speak through the car's microphone. I would never drive with ear buds in my ears.

I also think a backup camera is much more reliable when coupled with distance sensors. And with a little experience you learn how the view from the camera correlates with actual distance.

Yes, without a doubt. I actually trust my back up surround view camera, and all the distance sensors far more than me turning my head in both directions and using just my own field of vision. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 6:40 AM, Ocean Boy said:

And the AT&T hits just keep right on coming.

I have AT&T and am far happier than I was with Verizon. FYI - I use WiFi calling on all the Royal ships I have been on without a problem. Have not been on Wonder yet.

On 3/31/2022 at 8:20 PM, DeputyDawg46 said:

This is what I received as part of an email from the Wonder of the Seas IT Manger today whom I have been working with to resolve this issue. He has coordinated with several external offices to help resolve this issue on this ship and very supportive of acquiring a solution.  Whatever they have done has resolved the issue as of today for the 3 iPhones in my family.  Hopefully, this will work on future cruise on this ship. I’ll know again on the TA later this month.

From the IT Manager….

After some more troubleshooting, my contacts made some changes and asked me to test again with my devices and I was able to make few wifi calls successfully, so I was wondering if you want to give it another shot and see if this works for you as well. 

I would suggest the following process: 

• disconnect your phone by going to logout.com
  • reboot the phone
  • reconnect to wifi-guest-wonder
  • connect to internet using your user name and password
  • toggle off/on the wifi calling feature
  • after 2-3 min try to make a wifi call

This is the process I use on any Royal ship when I am having issues connecting and getting the AT&T WiFi calling logo to appear. (rare cases) I also use login.com to reconnect instead of going through the wifi settings. Whenever I follow these steps, any issues that I am having seem to be resolved.

On 4/1/2022 at 6:38 PM, SherriZ366 said:

The instruction to disconnect the phone by going to logout.com -- is that to disconnect from the ship's WiFi

Corect.

On 3/13/2022 at 3:15 AM, John&LaLa said:

Back in the day, Verizon was hands down the best in DC. They were the only carrier with coverage in the Metro tunnels. 😉

Sprint and now Tmobile have been fine in the metro.  Though I only have DC experience since 2011. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2022 at 10:21 AM, SRF said:

Even though my iPad has it owns SIM card, if I log in for iMessaging on my iPad, the phone only rings on the iPad and not on my phone.

Strange.

I don’t have a sim in my iPad, so I think that’s why yours rings separately.  Mine is tied to my phone. 

On 4/4/2022 at 6:17 PM, SherriZ366 said:

Any updates on using WiFi calling on Verizon?  

I use Spectrum Mobile which uses Verizon towers and wifi calling.  When I do cellular speed tests they all report as Verizon. 

WiFi calling worked fine for me on the Wonder inaugural.  Several long wifi calls on that sailing without issue.  

On 4/27/2022 at 10:20 AM, twangster said:

I use Spectrum Mobile which uses Verizon towers and wifi calling.  When I do cellular speed tests they all report as Verizon. 

WiFi calling worked fine for me on the Wonder inaugural.  Several long wifi calls on that sailing without issue.  

I am on the Wonder and WiFi Callling is not working on my Samsung S22 U   with Verizon

8 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

Address appears to be based in Europe.  Traces from various countries run through Lisbon in Portugal.  SES/O3b has a MEO gateway in Sintra, Portugal.

It looks like Wonder may have adopted a new O3b gateway for her summer in the Med.  

A new public IP address could cause US based cellular providers some grief for WiFi calling.  

On 3/13/2022 at 5:00 AM, LilBlackDress said:

AT&T Blocks Wi-Fi Calling on most if not all of the unlocked phones using their service! Why, I have no idea but I found that out the hardway one year... Sucks too because you can't but the larger internal memory unless you buy an unlocked phone. 

I've hat AT&T forever.  Never had a problem using wifi calling on any of my locked iPhones over the years

On 3/13/2022 at 5:00 AM, LilBlackDress said:

AT&T Blocks Wi-Fi Calling on most if not all of the unlocked phones using their service! Why, I have no idea but I found that out the hardway one year... Sucks too because you can't but the larger internal memory unless you buy an unlocked phone. 

For your info, AT&T has published a list of unlocked phones and the advanced calling features that it allows for them. Sorry I don't have a link for you. I recently bought an unlocked Samsung S22, which is on the list but only the U.S. model, and I do have wifi calling.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Is WhatsApp considered Wi-Fi calling? I’ve used that on board and it works. 

WhatsApp is not wi-fi calling. With wi-fi calling you are using your home cell plan over the internet. You can call and text anyone with a phone number.  WhatsApp is over the internet but both the caller and reciever must have the WhatsApp application. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

For your info, AT&T has published a list of unlocked phones and the advanced calling features that it allows for them. Sorry I don't have a link for you. I recently bought an unlocked Samsung S22, which is on the list but only the U.S. model, and I do have wifi calling.

My  unlocked Samsung S22 Ultra wifi calling is working everywhere except on the Wonder of the Seas 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

My  unlocked Samsung S22 Ultra wifi calling is working everywhere except on the Wonder of the Seas 

Thanks, good to know. I was just providing her with some general AT&T info since many AT&T users are still not aware that a long standing issue is finally evolving.

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thanks! I got the S22 Ultra 512 but I have moved most of what was stored on my phone to streaming/servers
But it is good to know for the future 🙂 

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thanks, good to know. I was just providing her with some general AT&T info since many AT&T users are still not aware that a long standing issue is finally evolving.

I am using Verizon. Voom IT said its hit or miss 

• 4 months later...
On 3/12/2022 at 8:50 AM, Charles4515 said:

There are some Android phones that can not do WiFi calling. 

Some older iPhones won't do WiFi calling either at least with my ATT service they wouldn't.

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

On 4/28/2022 at 4:17 PM, Charles4515 said:

WhatsApp is over the internet but both the caller and reciever must have the WhatsApp application. 

100% correct, WhatsApp is big in Mexico where we live and both people must have the app for it to work.