Electric toothbrush

esther e

• esther e changed the title to Electric toothbrush

I have been curious about this. What makes the outlet specific to razors? I assume they don't want power-hungry devices plugged into these outlets but why would an electric toothbrush matter? Any toothbrush that draws more current than an electric razor is not something I want to stick in my mouth.

• Like 3

Just now, HskrCrsr said:

I have been curious about this. What makes the outlet specific to razors? I assume they don't want power-hungry devices plugged into these outlets but why would an electric toothbrush matter? Any toothbrush that draws more current than an electric razor is not something I want to stick in my mouth.

Quite right.  Would work fine for an electric toothbrush.  It's a low current outlet, and the objective of the placard is to avoid attempted use of high current devices like hair dryer and curling irons, etc.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, HskrCrsr said:

They limit the amount of current for safety reasons. Because the outlet is near water there is fear of electrocution. In the the US current code new construction or remodels would be required to have GFCI outlets. Most modern electronics will work with the shaver only outlet without blowing the fuse. 

My electric tooth brush lasts eight or nine days and I don't leave it on charge. On longer cruises it does not take long to recharge so I plug it in the a regular outlet when it needs recharging and then unplug when it is charges.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, esther e said:

Is there an outlet in the bathroom on the Constellation for an electric toothbrush, or just one for a razor?  Thanks.

Can't you just plug each one in as it is being used?

Surprised your toothbrush has such a short battery life.   I have used a Philips Sonic Care for over 10 years and the charge has lasted me over 30 days.   I always bring a portable travel charger but never needed to use on B2B's.  

I guess I would first try the razor plug and see if it charges.   I have used it as a USB charger.  I can't image the power draw to be more than a razor.   If that doesn't work I would do what you do and just charge it up once a week while out and about.

Edited by Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, esther e said:

Is there an outlet in the bathroom on the Constellation for an electric toothbrush, or just one for a razor?  Thanks.

It's been a while since I have cruised on an M class ship, but I know that originally the bathrooms had a light duty electrical outlet in the housing of the wall mounted hair dryer (photo).  It is suitable for an electric razor and toothbrush.  My electric toothbrush's cord was long enough to reach the outlet if the charging stand was placed on the top shelf above the sink counter.

1700670198_Bathroom(2)-2.thumb.jpg.409304d6842dc1ab53418ac371125075.jpg

Infinity stateroom (8166) bathroom, Feb 2002

However those hair dryers have been removed and replaced with a night light (brown and orange square glass plate on the wall).  I can't remember if they preserved the electrical outlet.

IMG_0629.thumb.jpg.fe98e0ac6fb8d0d8c8c9f74f34c7715b.jpg

Infinity stateroom (8166) bathroom, Dec 2016

As an aside, the bathroom outlet in Solstice class staterooms are mounted high next to the light over the sink (white plate adjacent to the light in the photo below).

IMG_2537.thumb.jpg.5492bc9c9dbc01c247aceb0ee6aa39b1.jpg

Solstice stateroom (8107) bathroom, Jan 2019

Edited by mahdnc

39 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Surprised your toothbrush has such a short battery life.   I have used a Philips Sonic Care for over 10 years and the charge has lasted me over 30 days.   I always bring a portable travel charger but never needed to use on B2B's.  

The rechargable batteries in the toothbrushes do wear out. I recently got two new Sonicare handles at Costco when my old one stopped recharging. I don't  know how long the new handle will last on a cruise because I have not yet traveled with it. I charge it when the charge light flashes. I don't let it go all the way down.

Edited by Charles4515

If the battery is shot I'd definitely recommend just buying new ones.  They will hold a charge for several days without needing to be plugged in.  Ours are 6 or 7 years old and I can go about a week without having to put them on the charger.  We carry a single charger and just take turns using it on the desktop in the main room when needed.  Costco always seems to have a sale on one brand or another.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

If the battery is shot I'd definitely recommend just buying new ones.  They will hold a charge for several days without needing to be plugged in.  Ours are 6 or 7 years old and I can go about a week without having to put them on the charger.  We carry a single charger and just take turns using it on the desktop in the main room when needed.  Costco always seems to have a sale on one brand or another.

Costco often has the brushes on sale too. 

• Like 1