A quick review on my first time in the Haven, NCL Joy March 5th 2022

aubreyc1988

19 minutes ago, micha200 said:

l I like that Celebrity gives you a significant amount of your money back as obc ( in my case $600) plus price includes premium bev, internet, and tips. 

and water.  and specialty coffee.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

On the left, Bongalicious, on the right, Raspberry Mojito. He knows I need both at the same time 😄 

IMG_3349.thumb.jpeg.84e9d695836cecb0151949f085f73a11.jpeg

The fancy Louis XIII, thanks to my TA 

IMG_3341.thumb.jpeg.6bb2e7947e0930c717f5caa839c81e0c.jpeg

IMG_3343.thumb.jpeg.33b3788340f1415b357b446d10a202b8.jpeg

LOVE that stuff!  But agree that you deserved the "whole" experience!  Don't laugh but I bought a bottle of it about 35 years ago and have never even opened it!  I think that the whole experience of ordering it and having it served properly is part of the whole thing......great way to use up the last of the onboard credit though!  We always are scrambling through the gift shops and ending up with junk.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I wanted to, but I heard SO many bad reviews about the cavitation in the aft of the Joy and BOY they were right. When eating at LeBistro, I was like Holy COW

I won't minimize it, we did experience heavy shaking and rattling on Bliss the first night. Either they adjusted for it the rest of the cruise, or it's dependent on wind and current factors. White noise on my phone was enough to stop the rattling from being bothersome and the sensation of the vibration didn't bother me, things didn't bounce off surfaces, and the motion didn't keep me awake. The rest of the cruise all I heard was Spice H20's bass once in a while and I think they shut down pretty early. 

And what the what with the slippers? That is some BS there! Unless it's the old "supply chain issues" situation. Slippers are like low bar amenities, should be no problem getting them. 

Edited by Shellbelle28

Enjoyed reading the review of your Haven experience aboard the Joy. Along with @Sthrngarythread, we are getting a full picture of what to expect later this year if we finalize our cruise aboard the Bliss. 

Am a bit shocked that you did not meet your butler till the following day. Can't imagine why it would take that long?

Also disappointed to hear about your somewhat lacklustre Haven bar experience. Granted it seems great to have a bar so close by if you are IN the Haven, where you can grab a drink and enjoy the views from the lounge ... but if the vibe is off then what is the point of the Haven experience?

Concerned about the height of the tub for those with mobility issues. It would be nice to have an occasional bath but the fact that the Bliss has a Thalassotherapy pool available makes having a tub somewhat moot. 

In re: to dining in the Haven restaurant, was there any night at all where lobster is available? Did you have a chance to try room service?

And no slippers?! C'mon NCL! 

We have a choice between a 7-day Alaskan cruise aboard the Bliss this fall in a Haven Penthouse ... or a 10-day Hawaiian cruise aboard Royal Caribbean's Quantum in a Owner's Suite. No comparison in re: to the suites as the Owner's suite aboard Quantum looks to be absolutely wonderful. But that is offset by the fact that NCL has the "HAVEN" experience. And cruising for us is all about the experience.  So it's great to hear other's perspectives ... not great that we have to decide which one to pursue - lol. 

• Like 1

Very nicely written review.  I was on the Joy in the Haven 2/12 and would agree with much of what you wrote.  We love cocktails but I wasn’t overly impressed with the “bespoke” abilities.  I think they seemed to busy for that.  It’s a nice bar but it is small and there’s no view.  We mainly used it for a pre dinner cocktail or during the day if on sun deck/courtyard.  Drink service was pretty slow during the day and it wasn’t busy often because we were in port.  
The service you received for the Louis XIII was a shame.  And refusing slippers.  And the coffee in cabin and other requests.  Gen pop talk. (I dislike calling it that so much) That’s disappointing.  
I will agree as well that I do not have to be in the Haven after trying it last month. It’s a if the price is right for me.   If the price is same of higher than a luxury cruise, I’m going luxury.  

• Like 2

Thanks so much for this review.  One of the main reasons I want to try Haven eventually is for the Haven Bar.  Now maybe I can let go of that craving a little, even though every ship can be different and staff can be having a bad day.  A bad week, however, is another story.

As for the Louis XIII experience - what a damn shame!  We were fortunate enough to try this on the Dawn in December in Cellars with the sommelier Ernest.  Wow!  We hadn't seen anyone else have it before so we didn't know what exactly to expect and Ernest made the experience truly amazing.  Should you every sail with him - I highly recommend having him serve it to you.

• Like 3

One of the things that might not have come through clearly in aubreyc's exchanges with me is, for those who don't know, there are two lounges in Haven territory:  the Haven Lounge, of which she was critical, and the Horizon Lounge, which is the grand observation space at the bow of the ship.

I've been assuming that the Horizon Lounge has its own bar service ( as opposed to just waiters who obtain the drinks from the bar in the Haven Lounge).  Perhaps aubreyc or someone else could clarify that.  But, if the guests in the Horizon Lounge also have to rely on the apparently lacklustre bar service from the Haven Lounge, that's a shame, because, if it's anything like Holland America ships' Crow's Nests, the Horizon Lounge is the place to be to view the ship getting underway, or pulling in.

Aubrey c's report that she didn't see their butler until the second day is also concerning.  The idea behind the Gary letter is to establish a good working relationship with the butler from the get-go.  But that working relationship is already dented if the butler doesn't show until Day Two.  I'm not altogether certain how much use we'll have for a butler on our cruise in September.  But if he waits until Day Two to present himself to us, I believe I'll be tearing up my Gary letter and saving myself $100.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FM said:

4 hours ago, FM said:

In re: dining in the Haven restaurant, was there any night at all where lobster is available? 

The Haven veterans here can confirm this.  But I recall seeing surf-and-turf---a filet mignon and a lobster tail---being on the Haven Restaurant dinner menu.  On our first dinner in the Haven Restaurant, I intend to have the prime rib and request a lobster tail with it.

• Like 1

Thanks Aubrey’s for your review. We’re due our first Haven experience later this year. I’ve been following reviews the past few months and was delighted to come across a refreshingly honest review, not to suggest are in anyway dishonest! It just seems that everybody who reviews a Haven cruise writes enthusiastically in praise of the experience and that’s great too. However no organisation is perfect, things go wrong everywhere sometimes, and it’s good that you took the time to share your experience with us.

And just in case…. We’re still looking forward to our Haven experience!

32 minutes ago, CDR Benson said:

One of the things that might not have come through clearly in aubreyc's exchanges with me is, for those who don't know, there are two lounges in Haven territory:  the Haven Lounge, of which she was critical, and the Horizon Lounge, which is the grand observation space at the bow of the ship.

I've been assuming that the Horizon Lounge has its own bar service ( as opposed to just waiters who obtain the drinks from the bar in the Haven Lounge).  Perhaps aubreyc or someone else could clarify that.  But, if the guests in the Horizon Lounge also have to rely on the apparently lacklustre bar service from the Haven Lounge, that's a shame, because, if it's anything like Holland America ships' Crow's Nests, the Horizon Lounge is the place to be to view the ship getting underway, or pulling in..

The Horizon is a great space in the morning but it shares the bar with the he Haven bar.  I’d suggest getting your drink and taking it there if you want to sit with a view.  It’s a shame to not use it in the evenings more.  They packed up the snacks before five and that would be lovely to have a little pre dinner treat there.  The observation lounge below had piano music and a bar.  We never tried it but met the usual bartender when he was covering another bar.   He seemed great and I’m sorry we never tried that spot especially since it was reduced capacity 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rxlowry said:

The Horizon is a great space in the morning but it shares the bar with the he Haven bar.  I’d suggest getting your drink and taking it there if you want to sit with a view.  It’s a shame to not use it in the evenings more.  They packed up the snacks before five and that would be lovely to have a little pre dinner treat there.  The observation lounge below had piano music and a bar.  We never tried it but met the usual bartender when he was covering another bar.   He seemed great and I’m sorry we never tried that spot especially since it was reduced capacity 

Aye.  That's fine information.  Thanks for chiming in.

1 hour ago, CDR Benson said:

The idea behind the Gary letter is to establish a good working relationship with the butler from the get-go.

I actually address the Butlers as Hit/Miss in my past.  When I don't see the butler when I first get to my Haven Suite, I call the Haven Concierge and ask for the butler to stop by.  This usually handles the issue and I can provide my letter.  NCL over works their crew and the butlers are crazy busy that first day behind the scenes.  I feel for them however I also have a vacation that I want to set up properly.  

Bottom line, call the Haven Concierge to have the butler come to your suite right away.  Be brief, hand them the letter and move on. Not ideal but the way it is.

Cruise well everyone. 

17 minutes ago, mafig said:

Just to clarify......I thought surf and turf (mainly asking about the surf) was available every night???

Surf and Turf is not on the Haven Menu as an option.  However, you can have a lobster tail added to your main beef course if you simply ask.  Lobster Tails are a main course on the menu.  I know this because I did this twice on my cruise in the Haven in November.  I had Prime Rib and a lobster tail.  

Hope that helps and clarifies your question.

Cruise well.

• Like 1

Have sailed in the Haven on Breakaway 2018 and Joy 2020 and found the Haven bar and staff to be the highlight of the trip. The bartenders were attentive and entertaining as well. We formed quick friendships in the bar/lounge area which led to many late nights even after the Haven bar closed. We are sailing the Bliss in on April 30 and bringing along 2 other couples to experience the Haven. We expect to have a great time in this area again….or at least we will have fun trying. 

0C2B41A9-E0C1-452D-9273-2F14F0F5F663.jpeg

Edited by dawgbytes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I actually address the Butlers as Hit/Miss in my past.  When I don't see the butler when I first get to my Haven Suite, I call the Haven Concierge and ask for the butler to stop by.  This usually handles the issue and I can provide my letter.  NCL over works their crew and the butlers are crazy busy that first day behind the scenes.  I feel for them however I also have a vacation that I want to set up properly.  

Bottom line, call the Haven Concierge to have the butler come to your suite right away.  Be brief, hand them the letter and move on. Not ideal but the way it is.

Cruise well everyone. 

I grasp what you're saying.  But it's the butler's obligation to report to us.  Maybe that's the military man in me, but I shouldn't have to call the concierge and request that the butler do his job.

Certainly, I understand that the butlers are swamped with work on embarkation day, and we could certainly get by without him for one evening.  But I would expect him to seek me out by either a quick two-minute stop by our suite, or even a phone call explaining his circumstances and a guarantee of appearing later.  I'd be perfectly fine with something like that.

If I call to request the butler for our first meeting, aye, it speeds things along.  But I lose my first opportunity to see how reliable he is.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Surf and Turf is not on the Haven Menu as an option.  However, you can have a lobster tail added to your main beef course if you simply ask.  Lobster Tails are a main course on the menu.  I know this because I did this twice on my cruise in the Haven in November.  I had Prime Rib and a lobster tail.  

Hope that helps and clarifies your question.

Cruise well.

Sorry Sthrngary, but your memory is a little off on this one...Surf and Turf is definitely on the Haven menu, or at least it was in December.  My non-meat-eating wife would order it without the steak and they usually brought her two or three lobster tails.  And you are correct that you can add a lobster tail to any other entree.  Or the crab cakes, which I often had as an appetizer.  

image.thumb.png.82dc658c5aed706df6ce0b9eb9838083.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, a1betpr said:

Sorry Sthrngary, but your memory is a little off on this one...Surf and Turf is definitely on the Haven menu, or at least it was in December.  My non-meat-eating wife would order it without the steak and they usually brought her two or three lobster tails.  And you are correct that you can add a lobster tail to any other entree.  Or the crab cakes, which I often had as an appetizer.  

image.thumb.png.82dc658c5aed706df6ce0b9eb9838083.png

You are SOOOO right.  My memory did not serve me well here.  I am so embarrassed.  I am so glad you had this screen shot.  Thank you.  I just never ordered  the steak with the tail.  Again, my bad completely.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jezabel80 said:

Thank you for your review.  It gave a a good insight  on what to expect in the Haven.  Do all Haven  rooms have tubs,  not walk in showers?  Did you find the tub hard to get in and out of?  If you are familiar with the tubs in Club Balcony Suites on the Jewel class ships, are they the same height?   Thanks

I'm not sure about the Joy, but on the Epic/Escape/-aways, the 2-bedroom suites have two walk-in showers and a separate soaking tub. I'm assuming it is the same on the newer ships.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FM said:

Enjoyed reading the review of your Haven experience aboard the Joy. Along with @Sthrngarythread, we are getting a full picture of what to expect later this year if we finalize our cruise aboard the Bliss. 

Am a bit shocked that you did not meet your butler till the following day. Can't imagine why it would take that long?

Also disappointed to hear about your somewhat lacklustre Haven bar experience. Granted it seems great to have a bar so close by if you are IN the Haven, where you can grab a drink and enjoy the views from the lounge ... but if the vibe is off then what is the point of the Haven experience?

Concerned about the height of the tub for those with mobility issues. It would be nice to have an occasional bath but the fact that the Bliss has a Thalassotherapy pool available makes having a tub somewhat moot. 

In re: to dining in the Haven restaurant, was there any night at all where lobster is available? Did you have a chance to try room service?

And no slippers?! C'mon NCL! 

We have a choice between a 7-day Alaskan cruise aboard the Bliss this fall in a Haven Penthouse ... or a 10-day Hawaiian cruise aboard Royal Caribbean's Quantum in a Owner's Suite. No comparison in re: to the suites as the Owner's suite aboard Quantum looks to be absolutely wonderful. But that is offset by the fact that NCL has the "HAVEN" experience. And cruising for us is all about the experience.  So it's great to hear other's perspectives ... not great that we have to decide which one to pursue - lol. 

Well, I wouldn't consider the Haven Bar to have any sort of view. And bar service was limited in the sundeck area so we went elsewhere for sailaway. 

Lobster every night at Haven Restaurant. And yes, no slippers was disappointing. 

• Like 1

Our butlers have been hit or miss as well. We don't use them for much, but we do tip accordingly.

Our best and worst were actually both on the Dawn. Our first trip had our worst butler (we actually didn't get snacks one day and I was kind of waiting on them because of late dinner plans). Our second trip was one of the best. She came to find us while we were waiting to board to let us know my husband's dialysis supplies had made it to the cabin (huge relief on our part since he had just started dialysis and arranging the delivery to the ship in Puerto Rico was a hassle), but our vodka wasn't there yet. 😄 We told her we didn't care about the vodka, but thanks for letting us know about the dialysis stuff. She did an awesome job of keeping us in snacks and drinks all week long.

• Like 3