RC Cruise ‘must have’ travel items/hacks

Not sure anyone has mentioned this but I always bring a dental repair kit because there are no dentists on ships.  These kits are very small and available in pharmacies.  It was once a lifesaver for the people camping next to us one night when their child broke a tooth in the middle of nowhere. You can use the material in the kit to re-secure a cap or cover over a sensitive area when a filling has fallen out.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Not sure anyone has mentioned this but I always bring a dental repair kit because there are no dentists on ships.  These kits are very small and available in pharmacies.  It was once a lifesaver for the people camping next to us one night when their child broke a tooth in the middle of nowhere. You can use the material in the kit to re-secure a cap or cover over a sensitive area when a filling has fallen out.

I think you win the preparedness merit badge🎖️🥇

23 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Now I'm curious... Are the doctors on cruise ships able to do any dental work?

12 hours ago, eel said:

A few things that I believe were not mentioned:

Superglue for emergency repairs

Has anyone figured out a way to keep superglue to last for more than one use? I've just started buying it at the dollar twenty-five store. Every time I open a tube, by the next time I have gone to use it, it is rock solid. Is there some secret? :classic_smile:

Edited by Coralc

2 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Has anyone figured out a way to keep superglue to last for more than one use? I've just started buying it at the dollar twenty-five store. Every time I open a tube, by the next time I have gone to use it, it is rock solid. Is there some secret? :classic_smile:

It is pretty much single use. Thus only for emergencies.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coralc said:

We keep it a baggie in the freezer. Has lasted years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/29/2022 at 11:06 PM, mtempelaar said:

First aid kit (DIY, not premade), filled with everything you can think of - from the pain killers and motion sickness, to ace bandages, blister bandages, antiseptic wipes, and now extra Covid at home tests, every cold and flu type of med, Benadryl, thermometer.   I have ended up at foreign pharmacies struggling to get things that are over the counter in US and need prescriptions overseas (neosporin, diuretic)

I have never run into anything that was OTC in the US, but prescription outside the US.  I have run into MANY things that are prescription in the US but OTC in other countries.  Including in the EU

The one thing you need to know though is the actual chemical name, not the brand name.  They may not know Motrin, but they know ibuprofen.

Hmm, you forgot the most important two travel meds.  Imodium and Ducolax. 😄

I have used them (mainly the Imodium) more than all other first aid/medication combined.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Coralc said:

Go to a hobby store and get the ones there.  The bottles/tubes are designed for multiple use.

I have had hobby super glue last for years.

15 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

I have had poor luck with those kits.

My dentist recommended carrying Fixodent when I had a temporary crown.  I had to restick it every 2 -- 3 days, but it worked.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 7:29 AM, Mr. Green said:

Mobile Batter Packs: Charge them during the day and use them to charge your Mobile Phone overnight next to the bed if you have a cord that won't reach or don't want a cord stretching across the room.

love this idea;  thanks.  Don't know why all cruise lines don't add bed lamps with built in usb ports.  The newer ships do, but the older ships need to add these lamps

Edited by AF-1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

love this idea;  thanks.  Don't know why all cruise lines don't add bed lamps with built in usb ports.  The newer ships do, but the older ships need to add these lamps

Because of the cost.  Since there is no lamp or outlet there, they would need to pull electrical wiring to power them.  And multiply that by 3000 cabins.......

On 3/29/2022 at 10:06 PM, mtempelaar said:

First aid kit (DIY, not premade), filled with everything you can think of - from the pain killers and motion sickness, to ace bandages, blister bandages, antiseptic wipes, and now extra Covid at home tests, every cold and flu type of med, Benadryl, thermometer.  

A 7 day (or more) pill sorter works brilliantly for bringing medications. I use a large size and fill each "day" with a different med - ibuprofen, Pepto, Dramamine, allergy, etc. I then use a label maker to label each med. Compact and convenient. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 6:22 PM, Travelling2Some said:

My dentist told me to use a tube of denture adhesive if a cap falls off. Easy to buy. Sold everywhere. 

12 minutes ago, Because_I_Said said:

A 7 day (or more) pill sorter works brilliantly for bringing medications. I use a large size and fill each "day" with a different med - ibuprofen, Pepto, Dramamine, allergy, etc. I then use a label maker to label each med. Compact and convenient. 

I like this tip.  thanks

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 3:22 PM, firefly333 said:

My dentist told me to use a tube of denture adhesive if a cap falls off. Easy to buy. Sold everywhere. 

Same with my dentist.

Having done so, I suggest chewing slowly and fully.  In case it pops off while you are eating.  You do NOT want to swallow it.

No, swallowing will not harm you or it, but you will be without it until you get it replaced or you "retrieve" it. 😄

I have only had this happen with temporary crowns.  I have never had a permanent one come off.