RC Cruise ‘must have’ travel items/hacks

On 3/22/2022 at 1:19 PM, cruise_mike said:

I'll 2nd the magnets.  My wife and I also enjoy these mini fake candle lights.  The give the cabin some mood lighting, and provide a little light at night w/out being obnoxious.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EDKGFGU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We just bought new ones at the Dollar Store. $1.25 for 2. 
We last used one  on a 27 day cruise and left it on all night in the bathroom. Perfect amount of light. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 12:53 PM, riekl said:

They will confiscate any multi plug outlet in your bag. 

That has never been our experience, and we've brought some form of multi-plug outlet on our last several cruises (none of them surge protected).  They've been in our carry-ons, and we've sailed right on through.  They've been sitting right in the open, plugged in somewhere in our room, and no one has ever said a word about it.

23 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

They've been in our carry-ons, and we've sailed right on through.  They've been sitting right in the open, plugged in somewhere in our room, and no one has ever said a word about it.

Same here.

I love my pop-up hamper - $3 at Walmart - takes no room in my suitcase, and very little room in the cabin. I've also found them at the Dollar Store.

Mainstays Mesh Pop Up Laundry Hamper, White - Walmart.com

Basic first aid kit

Kindle (love to read on my balcony)

OTC meds

Battery tea lights

comfortable broken-in walking shoes/sandals

packable mini-backpack - one that packs into itself like this one:

Amazon.com : WALUCAN Backpack for Hiking Camping Lightweight Foldable Durable Waterproof Daypack WCAD001 Orange : Sports & Outdoors

Extra glasses/contacts/sunglasses

Lanyard for SeaPass

Remember - when on a cruise ship you can't pop out to the local walmart/drug store/convenience store. If there are things you use on a daily basis, take them with you.

Okay, I need a travel alarm clock THAT STAYS ON AT NIGHT as a little glowing nightlight so you can see the time.  Also needs temperature on it.  Whatcha got?  Amazon sells a million travel alarms but most you have to tap to see the time. I want it to stay on all the time. What can you recommend?

On 3/20/2022 at 7:20 PM, 1ballerina said:

My husband and I are confirmed (set sail pass in app 🙂 ) for the April 15th Voyager of the Seas cruise from Barcelona to Denmark. During our last cruises to Alaska with RC in October 2021 and again in Jan 2022 to Ensenada I realized I have outdated or well used  travel organizers/adaptors etc. I am looking for those ‘must have’ new ideas/options to make our cabin more user friendly ! I am looking for recommendations on adaptors, hooks, organizers and any other items you all feel that I should try !! Please share your great ideas !

Hello! 

My apologies, I have a question for you about your Alaska cruise... how did you find the waters? Did you feel ship movement at all? Trying to prep for my Alaska sailing! Thank you!

10 hours ago, Sunseeker20 said:

Hello! 

My apologies, I have a question for you about your Alaska cruise... how did you find the waters? Did you feel ship movement at all? Trying to prep for my Alaska sailing! Thank you!

Hello - The waters were typical for ship movement. Nothing out of the ordinary. We were able to see whales from the ship, so the waters were not overly choppy. Also, we went to Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier and had no problem seeing the Glacier. We did feel ship movement on the last day as we headed back towards Seattle, but we slept well. In prep for the Alaska sailing I would bring warm layers. hats, gloves, umbrella, rain coat etc. You never know what the weather will be like. This is the most casual cruise we have been on and when enjoyed it tremendously. What month is your sailing ?

On 3/24/2022 at 8:55 PM, BuckeyeMark said:

Okay, I need a travel alarm clock THAT STAYS ON AT NIGHT as a little glowing nightlight so you can see the time.  Also needs temperature on it.  Whatcha got?  Amazon sells a million travel alarms but most you have to tap to see the time. I want it to stay on all the time. What can you recommend?

if you own an iphone there are lots of nightlight phone apps you can download

11 hours ago, Sunseeker20 said:

Hello! 

We've cruise Alaska twice in end of May-beginning of June and the water was fine.

• Like 1

The problem is, keeping the light on eats the battery and then you get nothing.

If you want it always on, it will probably be plug in.

7 minutes ago, SRF said:

The problem is, keeping the light on eats the battery and then you get nothing.

If you want it always on, it will probably be plug in.

Bought this one.  Nice dim backlight but enough to see by.  Can be turned off if you don't want it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09N7362MG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

On 3/27/2022 at 8:15 AM, 1ballerina said:

Hello - The waters were typical for ship movement. Nothing out of the ordinary. We were able to see whales from the ship, so the waters were not overly choppy. Also, we went to Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier and had no problem seeing the Glacier. We did feel ship movement on the last day as we headed back towards Seattle, but we slept well. In prep for the Alaska sailing I would bring warm layers. hats, gloves, umbrella, rain coat etc. You never know what the weather will be like. This is the most casual cruise we have been on and when enjoyed it tremendously. What month is your sailing ?

Thank you so much! Very helpful!

I have been to Alaska before as a teen and remember some rocky days (it was October though!) This time we are taking our 3 boys and going the last week of April next year. We live in BC so weather won't be a shock to us. I will make sure to have some sea sickness tabs for my kids just in case!

Extra pairs of glasses and eyeglass repair kit (my ex husband ended up at a LensCrafters in Puerto Rico once a few hours before sailing for emergency pair).

First aid kit (DIY, not premade), filled with everything you can think of - from the pain killers and motion sickness, to ace bandages, blister bandages, antiseptic wipes, and now extra Covid at home tests, every cold and flu type of med, Benadryl, thermometer.   I have ended up at foreign pharmacies struggling to get things that are over the counter in US and need prescriptions overseas (neosporin, diuretic), and I have had a concierge run to med clinic to grab me an ace bandage. Compression socks. 

1 pair of shoes one size up in case I start retaining water so much my shoes don’t fit (50% of cruises).

post it notes to leave notes to each other, or to the cabin steward.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mtempelaar said:

Extra pairs of glasses and eyeglass repair kit (my ex husband ended up at a LensCrafters in Puerto Rico once a few hours before sailing for emergency pair).

First aid kit (DIY, not premade), filled with everything you can think of - from the pain killers and motion sickness, to ace bandages, blister bandages, antiseptic wipes, and now extra Covid at home tests, every cold and flu type of med, Benadryl, thermometer.   I have ended up at foreign pharmacies struggling to get things that are over the counter in US and need prescriptions overseas (neosporin, diuretic), and I have had a concierge run to med clinic to grab me an ace bandage. Compression socks. 

1 pair of shoes one size up in case I start retaining water so much my shoes don’t fit (50% of cruises).

All wonderful ideas ! 

On 3/22/2022 at 3:12 PM, LooneyCruzer said:

Blue painters tape…. Last trip we used it to hold the room drawers shut because the rocking ship kept banging them.

Exactly!  We always take a bit to secure things that go bump in the night in rough seas.  Sometimes you get a drawer or cabinet that will keep banging back and forth or the hangers in the closet make a racket hitting each other.  

7 hours ago, mtempelaar said:

Excellent,  thanks for sharing these tips

I think all the lists are great and you can pick up on things you’d take or not.  It really comes down to……are you the “Boy Scout and always be prepared person” the “I like to have my cabin organized person” or do you just like to “throw your stuff in a suitcase and don’t care if the cabin is a bit of a mess person. “. The DH is the latter but sure likes it when he asks for something random and I’ve got it.

If you cruise in Jr suites and above you have a lot more space to put things and it doesn’t take as much organization although you may still need the extra glasses or OTC meds kit.

A few things that I believe were not mentioned:

Superglue for emergency repairs

Ambesol or generic equivalent in case you run into dental issues

Luggage scale to avoid checked bag limits

Return address labels to save time when filling out your luggage tags before disembarkation

Packable waterproof backpack for shore excursions (no need to fully unpack your carryon backpack)

Extra batteries for any battery operated device

Magnetic clips to hold papers you want quick reference to (i.e. calendars, excursion docs, etc.)

Portable clothesline like this: 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E3OI3FM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_HEXZMBCXD7RBY595M1XJ

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 9:11 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

ah, yes, we bring the insulated mugs as well. Not only because we like our tea and coffee hot, but also because the cups in the buffet and MDR are tiny, and we like our beverages oversized.

Not to mention that you can fit one or two mixed drinks in it for discretely sipping while walking around the ship watching the shows etc. We call them "travelers" for that reason.

Glow in the dark wristwatch w/alarm. Remember those?

Edited by mac66
  • Like 1