RC Cruise ‘must have’ travel items/hacks

3 hours ago, SRF said:

The first item shown is an adapter with cord with SURGE SUPPRESSION. A HUGE no-no on ships.

Those are Advertisements they are not part of the cruise essentials list of products.  I agree surge suppressors are not allowed. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

FWIW, a 22# magnet hook will easily hold a hanger with a large wet swimsuit or t-shirt from the ceiling, while being smaller/lighter to pack and cheaper to buy.

Well, we already have them. And we hang fully loaded backpacks on them. The lighter ones didn't work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Surfguyxxx said:

I'm still trying to figure this one out????? 🤔 🤣

Blue painters tape…. Last trip we used it to hold the room drawers shut because the rocking ship kept banging them. We wrapped the extra power cord for Cpap. Hung notes. And to hold down the stupid purple vacs band. They scrape and catch on everything

B4E42972-5DCA-4B1B-9DAA-35D3DFE3E09B.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we just grab a couple of cereal boxes at breakfast at the buffet or potato chips at the Central Park cafe if the ship has it. When DS was younger, we put something more filling, like a croissant or a piece of challah bread from the buffet into a ziplock bag for his onshore snacks.

On our past cruises we also would grab the cereal boxes as shore snacks, but I noticed on this last one that the single-serve boxes have been replaced with the clear "spin the wheel" dispensers like you'll commonly find in a hotel breakfast lobby.  You'll need a few extra ziplock bags for those Fruit Loops... 😉 

You're not incorrect, but those restrictions are mostly (if not all) in place for fresh or raw food due for invasive pest control.  They are there to stop things like meat, fruits and vegetables... 

Factory processed foods (e.g. breakfast cereals) aren't going to contain anything invasive regardless of the packaging, and from firsthand experience, aren't what the food sniffing dogs are looking for nor are the local authorities.  I've been able to bring ziplocks into Australia after declaring them, and they have some of the tougher agricultural restrictions around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lane Hog said:

On our past cruises we also would grab the cereal boxes as shore snacks, but I noticed on this last one that the single-serve boxes have been replaced with the clear "spin the wheel" dispensers

We had cereal boxes on our Nov 2021 Harmony cruise, just like pre-pandemic. Definitely grabbed a few for snacks. 🙂

On 3/21/2022 at 11:11 AM, LooneyCruzer said:

Blue painters tape. Sticks and holds but doesnt leave duct tape sticky

I always pack that when I go on a cruise just in case I decide to repaint the cabin.  Some of the wall colors clash with the carpets, and I wouldn't want to leave "duct tape sticky" on the walls when I finish repainting them😁

• Haha 9

As a road warrior I always travel with a thermometer like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Refrigerator-Freezer-Thermometer-Function/dp/B076ZXB263/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1910V8HEHOGBB&keywords=Digital+thermometer+recording&qid=1647995431&sprefix=digital+thermometer+recording%2Caps%2C140&sr=8-4

No more trying to get the perfect sleeping temperature by adjusting the blue and red knob with no numbers on it. Just use it in your bedroom for a night before you leave and sleep well the first night. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mdepfl said:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Refrigerator-Freezer-Thermometer-Function/dp/B076ZXB263/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1910V8HEHOGBB&keywords=Digital+thermometer+recording&qid=1647995431&sprefix=digital+thermometer+recording%2Caps%2C140&sr=8-4

No more trying to get the perfect sleeping temperature by adjusting the blue and red knob with no numbers on it. Just use it in your bedroom for a night before you leave and sleep well the first night. 

This is genius.  If you don't get a Nobel Prize for this I don't even know why they give them out...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I always pack that when I go on a cruise just in case I decide to repaint the cabin.  Some of the wall colors clash with the carpets, and I wouldn't want to leave "duct tape sticky" on the walls when I finish repainting them😁

Now that's funny 🤣😂😅

21 hours ago, Surfguyxxx said:

A bit off topic but does anyone know of a battery powered alarm clock that I can read from across the room instead of using my phone which I'd have to fiddle with before I see the time?   Just something simple that we can look up and read from across; that doesn't turn off, or go super dim, during the night.  Thanks.

They all go dim after a short period due to battery life.

But there are a few with larger digits that you may be able to see if there is enough light in the cabin.

I carry this one for travel - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B03MXA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or you could wear a watch. 😄

23 hours ago, Surfguyxxx said:

A bit off topic but does anyone know of a battery powered alarm clock that I can read from across the room instead of using my phone which I'd have to fiddle with before I see the time?   Just something simple that we can look up and read from across; that doesn't turn off, or go super dim, during the night.  Thanks.

I have a travel alarm clock, it's small and stands up that does not turn off or go super dim with large numbers. I would suggest looking for those even if you don't use the alarm function. 

On 3/20/2022 at 10:33 PM, fredmdcruisers said:

Flashlight, nightlight, and short extension cord. (They say you shouldn't use a surge protector strip.) Bull nose clips to hold curtains closed. 

They will confiscate any multi plug outlet in your bag.  Its not just what they say, you will delay your luggage delivery significantly and have to go down and get it around dinner time. 

17 hours ago, Mdepfl said:

I bought one of that exact model for my refrigerator last week.  I didn't notice that the temperature range went up to 122 Degrees F.  Thanks for pointing out that this can be used as a room thermometer.  I was already planning on bringing it next week on the Wonder, just to see what the refrigerator (or 'cooler') temperature actually is after reading so many people complain about it.  Now I have a more practical use for packing it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, riekl said:

They will confiscate any multi plug outlet in your bag.  Its not just what they say, you will delay your luggage delivery significantly and have to go down and get it around dinner time. 

What do you mean by "multi plug outlet"? I aleways bring one of these on cruises and have never had an issue. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BHVKPC3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

On 3/22/2022 at 1:12 PM, LooneyCruzer said:

Blue painters tape…. Last trip we used it to hold the room drawers shut because the rocking ship kept banging them. We wrapped the extra power cord for Cpap. Hung notes. And to hold down the stupid purple vacs band. They scrape and catch on everything

B4E42972-5DCA-4B1B-9DAA-35D3DFE3E09B.jpeg

GOOD idea ..... the last cruise we took in Jan 2022 we had pretty rough seas one night and our hangers kept clanking together until I finally couldn't take it anymore and got out of bed to put them on the ground 🙂 Seems sooo simple except I love the beds on a cruise and when I settle in I don't want to get out !

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 1ballerina said:

GOOD idea ..... the last cruise we took in Jan 2022 we had pretty rough seas one night and our hangers kept clanking together until I finally couldn't take it anymore and got out of bed to put them on the ground 🙂 Seems sooo simple except I love the beds on a cruise and when I settle in I don't want to get out !

Run a bath towel through the hangers. 

• Like 2