The Lido Buffet, on ZUIDERDAM

MisterMatthew

I have read where (perhaps in the past? or currently?) the staff serves you.  You indicate what you would like & such. 

Do you obtain your own silverware / napkin / etc.  And, then get a table?  Also, what about drinks?  At this time, I do not have a beverage package -- and, may not get one.  Still deciding.  Does a server bring drinks?  Do you get them yourself?

If my question is simpler to answer, I would like soda pop, water, and juices.

----Matthew

On our cruise last October you were served (at the counter rather than at your table), no self-service. I would try to have them add to a plate rather than trying to carry several plates. The silverware was wrapped in a napkin, already at the table. For coffee, tea, water, lemonade or iced tea you could either go to the beverage area and request a drink or there were crew members circulating with beverages. Soda pop would need to be ordered and paid for if you didn't have a beverage package. 

33 minutes ago, MisterMatthew said:

I have read where (perhaps in the past? or currently?) the staff serves you.  You indicate what you would like & such. 

Do you obtain your own silverware / napkin / etc.  And, then get a table?  Also, what about drinks?  At this time, I do not have a beverage package -- and, may not get one.  Still deciding.  Does a server bring drinks?  Do you get them yourself?

----Matthew

Just came off the Eurodam last Sunday (3/20) after 11 night cruise.

Luckily, the staff on HAL has always served the guests in the Lido and it works very nicely. Each table has silverware in napkin roll at each table with glasses for whatever you might want the staff to bring to you: ice tea, water, lemonade, orange juice, cranberry juice. If you have the beverage package they will also bring you a Coke, without the beverage package they will still bring it to you and charge it to your running account. You can, if you wish get your own basic juices now from the dispensing machines.

The service on our cruise was extremely perfect and very quick. I think all the cruise lines will be at least looking at keeping the buffets as served food and no longer self serve which can be a little disgusting at times. Thank you HAL for serving your passengers in the Lido!

• Like 3

Okay, that's good to know.  I know when I'm having a meal.. I often would like a tall drink nearby & ready!  I won't even obtain food unless a drink is on my table.  And, I'm not talking about some 5 ounce cup of soda!  And..  (oh gosh, sorry, did not mean to tangent there, lol)

---Matthew

This picture is from halfacts.com (thank you!). Kindly provided by Cruise Critic member ‘NRFBQN’. Photos taken in November 2017. As you see, the drink glasses are a good size, and the napkins/silverware are all set.   Picture from the Zuiderdam.

zudmlido-Lido furniture

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We spent the month of January, 2022 on the Zuiderdam and ate most of our meals in the Lido.  Virtually all food was served on a plate handed to you.  Exceptions included getting your own fruit drink at breakfast and dessert treats in the evening.  In the evening after dinner, one could serve your own coffee/tea/water; during the day, servers brought it to you.  Water and wrapped silverware was always delivered to the table.  Dirty dishes generally were quickly whisked away. 

We were very pleased with all aspects of our first cruise on the Zuiderdam.  The above was also true for our October, 2021 3 week cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam and our cruise on the Rotterdam in December, 2022.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MisterMatthew said:

----Matthew

When the ship is nearly at capacity, finding and staking out a table prior to going to the serving line is a good idea,  Note that you can consume your Lido Market food in your stateroom, on the aft Lido deck by the pool, or by the indoor pool.  Since trays are not provided, bringing a tray from home works for some cruisers.  While you are at it, bring a salt shaker from home to keep in your room.

On the Zuiderdam in February, agree with all comments above.  I hope they never go back to self serve!  Tables were very clean.  Service of beverages was extremely prompt.  At breakfast, we sat in the section where our dinner main dining room server was working and never needed to ask for anything.  As soon as he saw us, coffee with extra milk was poured and our water glass was never empty.  Also, servers assisted passengers who were unable to carry their own plates due to mobility issues.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Wakepatrol said:

If they’re smart they’ll keep it self serve. This cuts down on gluttons overloading their plates and then dumping the food they didn’t care for

A HAL hotel Director once told me that they reduced food waste by 50% by eliminating trays.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, PROCRUISE said:

Just came off the Eurodam last Sunday (3/20) after 11 night cruise.

Luckily, the staff on HAL has always served the guests in the Lido and it works very nicely. Each table has silverware in napkin roll at each table with glasses for whatever you might want the staff to bring to you: ice tea, water, lemonade, orange juice, cranberry juice. If you have the beverage package they will also bring you a Coke, without the beverage package they will still bring it to you and charge it to your running account. You can, if you wish get your own basic juices now from the dispensing machines.

Note that the fruit juices are available only at breakfast, from what I remember.

2 hours ago, Wakepatrol said:

If they’re smart they’ll keep it self serve. This cuts down on gluttons overloading their plates and then dumping the food they didn’t care for

Well, that's how it has been even before covid.  I like to be served.  It's nicer than trying to avoid the elbows of your fellow diners pushing you out of the way to take the last portion.

My favorite thing about the HAL buffet is that it is staff served. I have seen too many gross things when it's self-serve. We were on an NCL ship in January that was self-serve and even in this time of Covid there were people putting things back that they had taken or using their hands to grab things, so the staff had to throw the food out for fear of it being contaminated. I also just don't want to touch a serving spoon that 100 other people have used after just washing my hands when entering the buffet.

• Like 7

On 3/23/2022 at 8:55 PM, MisterMatthew said:

Okay, that's good to know.  I know when I'm having a meal.. I often would like a tall drink nearby & ready!  I won't even obtain food unless a drink is on my table.  And, I'm not talking about some 5 ounce cup of soda!  And..  (oh gosh, sorry, did not mean to tangent there, lol)

---Matthew

Glasses are small.  I always order two at a time.  In short order, the staff recognizes me and automatically doubles everything.  It pays off for them in the end.

• Like 1

I only eat in the Lido for breakfast since I generally dislike buffets. The coffee, cereal, tea, milk, and fruit juices were all self-serve. Gone are the little boxes of cereal - they are now the large dispensers of mostly bland flavors (Cheerios, corn flakes, etc.). Yogurt is served by a staff member from large bowls and they add toppings for you. At least on one side the large milk dispenser had whole milk in addition to some other lower fat version. I did have a salad once and it was rather annoying trying to figure out what the items were behind the glass (I’m rather short), and then having to tell the staff member what to add. But I do agree that touching the serving spoons is best left to the clean staff members. 

1 hour ago, Navybikermom said:

it was rather annoying trying to figure out what the items were behind the glass (I’m rather short), 

I have the opposite problem.....I'm tall and the glass always has a reflection and I can't see without bending down 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2