HAL is our home; and we just can't quite separate

atexsix

I posted before about COVID testing timelines based on information I know from working for a Canadian airline.  I just reviewed the Transport Canada website and realized that cruise ship travel does have different protocols than air and rail (my apologies!)  Awaiting HAL's official statement as we sail May 14th on the K-dam out of Vancouver, but will plan testing for the day before. 

Cruise ships

Before boarding a cruise ship, you must take either:

• a COVID-19 molecular test within 72 hours of their scheduled boarding time, or
  • an antigen test taken no more than 1 day before the scheduled departure

Passengers also have obligations during a voyage and when leaving the cruise ship in Canada. During your voyage, you must self-monitor for symptoms and report any symptoms to cruise line officials. After you leave the cruise ship on your return to Canada, you must monitor for symptoms for 14 days, and report through ArriveCAN or 1-833-641-0343.

Before returning to shore and getting off the cruise ship, you must take 1 of the following:

• a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before arrival, or
  • an antigen test within 1 day of arrival

You must monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 for 14 days

• Like 1

I feel the same way about HAL. We've tried other lines and had enjoyable cruises, but keep coming back to HAL. The crew is what brings me back. I describe it to others as, when I get on ships from other cruise lines the crew makes me feel like a welcome guest. When I get on a HAL ships the crew makes me feel like I'm at home.

• Like 9

My experience with HAL goes back to 1959 (Nieuw Amsterdam, 1938 version), 1966, 2012, 2016 and 2021. I have also been on American Export (out of business), Costa and Royal Caribbean. They ALL had pluses and minuses. At my current stage of life, HAL is my first choice. In October (September or November possibilities) 2023 we are planning a trip to Holland with a cruise back. The cruise will depend mostly on price so I am looking at various options including ROTTERDAM again.

Jim

• Like 4

19 hours ago, atexsix said:

I've spent the last few days pouring over itineraries, deck plans, and ship tours; and no matter how hard I try to get into it, the thought of breaking away from HAL is overwhelmingly sad, despite it's faults.  However, after reading through thread after thread about every line and countless ship reviews, it appears they all have some kind of faults.  HAL is home, it's been our home for 20 years.  We know there might be better options, but we're probably going to stick with HAL's elegant ships and exceptionally friendly service, and of course, it's faults; at least their familiar to us rather than chancing the unknowns with another line.  

Edit to add: we were considering other lines because we need an itinerary from Seattle that includes Skagway, only the Eurodam at the end of the season offers it on one sailing, hopefully the waters won't be too rough in early October and the Skagway train excursions are still running. 

I just did a quick search on the big online vacations to go travel website and there are 150 7-11 days cruises in and out of Seattle between April 23-Oct.16. that stop in Skagway. The cruise lines include Norwegian, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Celebrity.  You should find something that fits your needs.

• Like 1

anyone try Viking?

I like the smaller, old HAL ocean liner feel and full promenade deck not the new larger ships. Would miss the HAL crew (always see a familiar face) on board and 5 star mariner perks but the changes over the years just don't have the same feel with HAL.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2022 at 7:48 PM, OlsSalt said:

Love the comfortable old shoe feeling about HAL ships - familiarity, warm and fuzzy - always felt good to "come home" to HAL ships and the warm embrace of their crews. No glitz, no hype, no dazzle; instead just the perfect fit for us.

I just have no use for those who complained about the dated pink tile in some the HAL bathrooms. I worry by the time we might get back to cruising, the only thing left will be the larger, glitzier, newer HAL ships and that old shoe feeling will be gone.

Which ones had pink tile?  We sailed on the old Rotterdam in February 2019 and it didn't seem dated to me.   Maybe because my previous HA cruises were the Noordam and the Oosterdam.  I thought they all were spiffy. 

• Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 8:27 AM, Fred321 said:

After over 900 days on HAL we tried a short trip on Celebrity Constellation. One of their older ships and a size we like better than HAL's new ships. It was great with ambience and service as good or better than what we were used to.Only thing I didn't like was the lack of a complete deck to walk around the ship for my morning exercise. Don't want to go any bigger than this ship however we enjoyed it so much that we booked a transatlantic reposition on the same ship for next month. No harm in trying something different. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Wow,  900 days on Holland (almost 3 years) and you sailed a short trip on Connie and you have already booked another Celebrity cruise.    

That is some terrific testimony.    Can I ask if you were sailing in Suites or not?

• Like 1

Good guess. We got a great deal on a sky suite (really a glorified verandah cabin) but that wasn't what made a difference. We always love the crew interactions on HAL. In addition to 4 world cruises we have also done a lot of other Grands and normal trips on HAL and have made great connections with many of their crew who we seem to run into every time we board.

What really surprised me was the way the crew on the Constellation knew our name or went out of their way to introduce themselves and start up a conversation. Even the young man whose job it was to wipe down the brass and vacuum. Not all of them knew where we were staying and don't think they really cared.They were happy to be back at work and they obviously felt free to establish a relationship on the fly. That's the same thing that we found on HAL and it's what we really like.

Unfortunately, the last few trips we had on HAL were on their newest and largest ships and ,honestly, though they are nicely decorated, the feeling is not the same. The cabin stewards now have too many cabins  to allow them to talk to us at any length and the MDR's on these new ships are horrible. They are loud and overstuffed with people. The servers are harried even on a good night. Even the folks we know who work on these ships hate the new MDR's but HAL has decided this is their future. Just not for us so we will look for their smaller ships or try something different. Also have another world cruise booked but this time on Viking. We'll see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fred321 said:

Unfortunately, the last few trips we had on HAL were on their newest and largest ships and ,honestly, though they are nicely decorated, the feeling is not the same. The cabin stewards now have too many cabins  to allow them to talk to us at any length and the MDR's on these new ships are horrible. They are loud and overstuffed with people. The servers are harried even on a good night. 0

Sounds like my experience with Princess.  We're now doing HAL.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fred321 said:

Good guess. We got a great deal on a sky suite (really a glorified verandah cabin) but that wasn't what made a difference. We always love the crew interactions on HAL. In addition to 4 world cruises we have also done a lot of other Grands and normal trips on HAL and have made great connections with many of their crew who we seem to run into every time we board.

What really surprised me was the way the crew on the Constellation knew our name or went out of their way to introduce themselves and start up a conversation. Even the young man whose job it was to wipe down the brass and vacuum. Not all of them knew where we were staying and don't think they really cared.They were happy to be back at work and they obviously felt free to establish a relationship on the fly. That's the same thing that we found on HAL and it's what we really like.

Unfortunately, the last few trips we had on HAL were on their newest and largest ships and ,honestly, though they are nicely decorated, the feeling is not the same. The cabin stewards now have too many cabins  to allow them to talk to us at any length and the MDR's on these new ships are horrible. They are loud and overstuffed with people. The servers are harried even on a good night. Even the folks we know who work on these ships hate the new MDR's but HAL has decided this is their future. Just not for us so we will look for their smaller ships or try something different. Also have another world cruise booked but this time on Viking. We'll see.

I’ve found the opposite.  My last 3 or 4 cruises have been on Hal’s pinnacle class ships.  I absolutely love them.  I’d be happy to never sail another class.  The food was very, very good, the best I recall especially since the start up.  I’m not one to talk for hours but I’ve formed some good connections with the crew on the koningsdam.  I think it is possible although I do understand some people do prefer the smaller ships.

• Like 4

Interesting responses to a thread that I initially thought I would not respond.  Obviously, I have changed my mind.

First, I consider embarking a HAL vessel being a "homecoming experience".  I have felt those thoughts every time I have embarked.  Most memorable was when I boarded Rotterdam V in Seward in 1996 after not being able to cruise for some time because of my role as a caregiver for my parents.  My most recent significant experience was boarding the Eurodam in Port Everglades in January, 2020.  The Guest Relations Manager was at the head of the gangway when I arrived and she welcomed me back using my name!  How in the heck did she know who I was?

It's those kind of moments when a crew member from past cruises remembers you--even your name--"Sir rka"--that reminds me that "I am home".  

Cruise experiences vary from cruise to cruise and I have stated on CC why I think that is.  

But, there is another level of "cruise experiences" that does exist beyond HAL.  Between my 2019 Christmas/New Year's Cruise on the Volendam and the cruise on the Eurodam, I sailed on MSC Meraviglia as a Yacht Club guest.  That was an entirely different cruise experience as a YC guest.  Did I feel that Meraviglia was "home"?  No.  During a 7 day cruise, I never visited all of the areas of that vessel!  Did I feel welcomed and crew were concerned about my satisfaction?  Yes.  Very much so.  Dining in the YC Restaurant was much more of a personal experience than dining in any of HAL's specialty restaurants other than Rudi's Sel de Mer. 

Princess, HAL, and yes, whether you want to believe it or not, Carnival offer excellent, very good, or good cruise experiences.  It so much depends upon the specific cruise on which one sails.  But, my experience on MSC revealed that there is another level of cruise experience that exists that may be missed by those who sail on only HAL.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’ve found the opposite.  My last 3 or 4 cruises have been on Hal’s pinnacle class ships.  I absolutely love them.  I’d be happy to never sail another class.  The food was very, very good, the best I recall especially since the start up.  I’m not one to talk for hours but I’ve formed some good connections with the crew on the koningsdam.  I think it is possible although I do understand some people do prefer the smaller ships.

I'm with you here.  I was prepared to not like these Pinnacle Class ships, for a variety of reasons -- size of the ships, shiny bright surfaces that would trigger migraine...all kinds of things.  But DH and I both love the new ships.  To us, they retain the look of a ship, rather than a floating hotel, the interiors are tasteful and beautiful, the cabins are thoughtfully appointed, and the extra amenities onboard are delightful -- Dutch Cafe, real Sel de Mer restaurant, real Club Orange restaurant.  

We've sailed on all the classes of HAL ships and we'll be sticking with HAL even as they phase out their older ships. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

I'm with you here.  I was prepared to not like these Pinnacle Class ships, for a variety of reasons -- size of the ships, shiny bright surfaces that would trigger migraine...all kinds of things.  But DH and I both love the new ships.  To us, they retain the look of a ship, rather than a floating hotel, the interiors are tasteful and beautiful, the cabins are thoughtfully appointed, and the extra amenities onboard are delightful -- Dutch Cafe, real Sel de Mer restaurant, real Club Orange restaurant.  

We've sailed on all the classes of HAL ships and we'll be sticking with HAL even as they phase out their older ships. 

I am always amazed by those who decide to not like the new ship before it even leaves the shipyard.  I try to keep an open mind about new stuff and most of the time it is good.  I love the Pinnacle class ships.  Totally agree with you.  The additional choices for food are wonderful and the Music Walk is great!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We are very disloyal cruisers and, as well as HAL, have sailed Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Azamara, Oceania, Seabourn, MSC (YC).  I like seeing other ships and comparing but absolutely agree with the ‘old slipper’ sentiment about HAL. We are doing our first longer cruise at the end of the year and it had to be with HAL, the itineraries, price and comfort was a no brainer. We do like Celebrity for a week long cruise and like the luxury lines but would prefer to spend longer on a HAL ship for the same ££.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Our loyalties are with HAL and Princess. We have sailed with many other lines and like Celebrity but find their fares way out of line compared to HAL and Princess and the same can be said for Royal Caribbean. As stated earlier, of all the mainstream cruise lines, the service on HAL is best with Princess not far behind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2022 at 4:48 PM, OlsSalt said:

Love the comfortable old shoe feeling about HAL ships - familiarity, warm and fuzzy - always felt good to "come home" to HAL ships and the warm embrace of their crews. No glitz, no hype, no dazzle; instead just the perfect fit for us.

I just have no use for those who complained about the dated pink tile in some the HAL bathrooms. I worry by the time we might get back to cruising, the only thing left will be the larger, glitzier, newer HAL ships and that old shoe feeling will be gone.

Great way to describe it, yes, it does have an old shoe feeling.  As to pink tiling, I don't think I ever noticed.

After over 900 days on HAL we tried a short trip on Celebrity Constellation. One of their older ships and a size we like better than HAL's new ships. It was great with ambience and service as good or better than what we were used to.Only thing I didn't like was the lack of a complete deck to walk around the ship for my morning exercise. Don't want to go any bigger than this ship however we enjoyed it so much that we booked a transatlantic reposition on the same ship for next month. No harm in trying something different. You may be pleasantly surprised.

True.  We're still considering Princess, so far my research is indicating it is the closest to HAL.

On 3/24/2022 at 6:04 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

My last cruise was pretty rough.  For a good week I swore I wouldn’t cruise with hal again.  Things did get straightened out.  A lot of the service staff have been outstanding on my last few cruises and I’d miss that.  More than that I love the pinnacle class of ships.  I’m not opposed to sailing with Princess either but I do enjoy many more things on hal.

You, myself, and several others discussed the rough patches of HAL quite a bit last year, the only lingering concern that I have is the very limited menus and food choices, especially for DD, I mean to not be able to find white meat portions of chicken anywhere on the ship was just inexcusable.  An American staple, it's not like we were looking for caviar. 

On 3/24/2022 at 6:48 PM, ehyup71 said:

Does the itinerary have to depart from Seattle for a specific reason?  Just wondering because Koningsdam departs from Vancouver which is only about a 3 hour drive away.  Not only does the ship stop at Skagway, it also sails the Inside Passage between Vancouver Island and the mainland.  The Seattle departures sail outside on the east coast around the island. 

Yes.  We have tried trips in or out of Vancouver, we love the city, we love the terminal, especially having the hotel right there, but the train schedule or busing it and having to schlep our own luggage at the border won't work for our increasingly difficult mobility issues.  Add in the constantly changing testing requirements for the borders and the cruise line and it's just too much, we had enough trouble dealing with our local testing.  Dear Dad is 84 and would need a wheelchair, so almost all of the effort with luggage falls on me, for some reason the Vancouver cruise terminal no longer allows you to store luggage, the hotel was nice enough to offer while we camped out in their lobby awaiting the evening train, but at a post stroke 53 I have to try and keep my stress level under control.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2022 at 6:53 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

Speaking as a Canadian I think Vancouver is going to be a hard sell.  From what I understand you will have to have an antigen test one day before.  That going to be pretty tough to arrange unless hal intends to test at the pier.  I’m not an Alaska fan because I live in the cold 10 months of the year it seems but if I did I’d leave from Seattle.  Less hassle.

This.  Just looking at the current requirements it'd be too much to sort through.  And we would want to stay in Vancouver at least 1-2 extra days which would mean we can test for the border, but not the ship, and if it's not offered at the pier then forget it, the last thing we can handle is navigating Vancouver in search of a test.  Just no.

On 3/24/2022 at 8:21 PM, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Bruno, you didn’t really think your HAL siblings were going to let you leave home that easily, did you? 😉

Oh I know!  LOL.  We'll see.  There are 3 conditions I'm trying to satisfy, but I have yet to find all 3 on the same ship/line: 

1. must go to Skagway from Seattle

2. a more pedestrian menu for Dear Dad

3. chamber music

Silversea doesn't count.  I would love to sail with them, but Dear Dad is paying for this sailing and won't go for it 😞

On 3/25/2022 at 2:49 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

HAL is our cruising home, too. We’ve sailed a lot on Celebrity and had enjoyable trips. But I never have the same “I’m home” feeling when onboard X. 

I’ve found many reasons to love the newest HAL ships and we will be back on N. Statendam in the fall. But I’ve booked Zaandam’s holiday cruise because I want at least one more nostalgic, “ocean liner” experience of sleeping in a cabin right on the Lower Prom Deck and walking the full circuit around a wide deck overlooking the waves.

That's my concern.  Celebrity ships look nice enough, but they lack the warmth of HAL, and I know this might not be a fair assessment having never sailed them, I have to draw from brochers and pictures, but what else is there, except for experiences of other passengers.

On 3/25/2022 at 4:39 AM, Crazy For Cats said:

@atexsix I understand the dilemma of going on another cruise line.  After much debate last year we sailed on NCL in December.  Things were different and yet we had an enjoyable cruise.  I did a cc review comparing this experience to HAL.

We've strongly considered NCL, the observation lounge blows us away.  If I knew for sure they will test at the port they would still be a contender, but I've seen mixed information on this, and the entertainment choices might be a concern for Dear Dad. 

On 3/25/2022 at 8:26 AM, luvteaching said:

Hi Bruno, 

Hope you and DD are doing well. We canceled our Hawaii cruise (DH's health) but still have 3 Alaska on the books. All are out of Seattle with 2 on HAL (July and September) and one on Princess. We are creating our own B2B with Crown Princess then Oosterdam. That way we get Skagway and the train on the first leg and Sitka and ISP on the second. We've done this 4 other times and it works well. We disembark in Seattle, walk across the pier and embark. Easy as pie. Princess and HAL have similarities but HAL is our favorite. The Princess ships are bigger, have more enrichment activities (think Libby Riddles came on in Juneau, an on-board expert, etc) and their handicapped cabins on Caribe deck are spacious! 

Karen

Karen!  We enjoyed sailing with you and your husband in September.  I will need to consult with you a lot for this next cruise, since Dear Dad will certainly need a chair this time around.  For HAL, we'd be looking at Eurodam Oct. 2nd.  For Princess, it would be Discovery, date not yet known, we have to plan around the cat sitter for one thing.  Discovery looks like a nice new ship, Alaska focused judging from the deck plans and the dining room names, or do those change depending on the itinerary?  I know nothing about Princess.  The lack of a Crow's Nest type lounge is the only thing I find odd, or simply not used to coming from HAL. 

I enjoy Promenade decks too and unfortunately the lack of a complete wraparound is becoming the norm 😞  Wouldn't like that at all. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 11:08 AM, 510picker said:

I feel the same way about HAL. We've tried other lines and had enjoyable cruises, but keep coming back to HAL. The crew is what brings me back. I describe it to others as, when I get on ships from other cruise lines the crew makes me feel like a welcome guest. When I get on a HAL ships the crew makes me feel like I'm at home.

Yes, the crew for sure!  And the familiar ships, I think I can find my way around any HAL ship blindfolded.  

On 3/25/2022 at 8:50 PM, REOVA said:

anyone try Viking?

I like the smaller, old HAL ocean liner feel and full promenade deck not the new larger ships. Would miss the HAL crew (always see a familiar face) on board and 5 star mariner perks but the changes over the years just don't have the same feel with HAL.

In my opinion, HAL ships are the closest we can get to the old ocean liner feeling, outside of the luxury lines and Cunard. 

On 3/27/2022 at 9:58 AM, MISTER 67 said:

Our loyalties are with HAL and Princess. We have sailed with many other lines and like Celebrity but find their fares way out of line compared to HAL and Princess and the same can be said for Royal Caribbean. As stated earlier, of all the mainstream cruise lines, the service on HAL is best with Princess not far behind.

They do seem high.  While price is not a primary concern, we'd be reluctant to pay it not knowing much about the line.  

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 4:33 PM, rkacruiser said:

Interesting responses to a thread that I initially thought I would not respond.  Obviously, I have changed my mind.

First, I consider embarking a HAL vessel being a "homecoming experience".  I have felt those thoughts every time I have embarked.  Most memorable was when I boarded Rotterdam V in Seward in 1996 after not being able to cruise for some time because of my role as a caregiver for my parents.  My most recent significant experience was boarding the Eurodam in Port Everglades in January, 2020.  The Guest Relations Manager was at the head of the gangway when I arrived and she welcomed me back using my name!  How in the heck did she know who I was?

It's those kind of moments when a crew member from past cruises remembers you--even your name--"Sir rka"--that reminds me that "I am home".  

Cruise experiences vary from cruise to cruise and I have stated on CC why I think that is.  

But, there is another level of "cruise experiences" that does exist beyond HAL.  Between my 2019 Christmas/New Year's Cruise on the Volendam and the cruise on the Eurodam, I sailed on MSC Meraviglia as a Yacht Club guest.  That was an entirely different cruise experience as a YC guest.  Did I feel that Meraviglia was "home"?  No.  During a 7 day cruise, I never visited all of the areas of that vessel!  Did I feel welcomed and crew were concerned about my satisfaction?  Yes.  Very much so.  Dining in the YC Restaurant was much more of a personal experience than dining in any of HAL's specialty restaurants other than Rudi's Sel de Mer. 

Princess, HAL, and yes, whether you want to believe it or not, Carnival offer excellent, very good, or good cruise experiences.  It so much depends upon the specific cruise on which one sails.  But, my experience on MSC revealed that there is another level of cruise experience that exists that may be missed by those who sail on only HAL.   

If it were just me, I'd be far more open to trying out other lines and their unique experiences. But our travel challenges require predictability.   

3 hours ago, atexsix said:
On 3/24/2022 at 8:21 PM, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Oh I know!  LOL.  We'll see.  There are 3 conditions I'm trying to satisfy, but I have yet to find all 3 on the same ship/line: 

1. must go to Skagway from Seattle

2. a more pedestrian menu for Dear Dad

3. chamber music

I can help with the menu needs. HAL is awesome for customizing meals to suit dietary requirements. I’m celiac, and need a lot of modifications. On the first night, your waiter can help with selection. Then at the end of the meal, they will bring a copy of the next nights menu. Write your Dear Dad’s name and stateroom number on the top, along with his dietary needs. Then have him pick what he would like. He can mix and match bits of different items, or request a sauce less entree with plain steamed veggies, etc.They will customize it six ways from Sunday to make what he would like. They are incredibly accommodating.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I can help with the menu needs. HAL is awesome for customizing meals to suit dietary requirements. I’m celiac, and need a lot of modifications. On the first night, your waiter can help with selection. Then at the end of the meal, they will bring a copy of the next nights menu. Write your Dear Dad’s name and stateroom number on the top, along with his dietary needs. Then have him pick what he would like. He can mix and match bits of different items, or request a sauce less entree with plain steamed veggies, etc.They will customize it six ways from Sunday to make what he would like. They are incredibly accommodating.

That's wonderful news, thank you!  I will say though that we tried to deviate from the menu a few times with room service, including the children's menu (that's how desperate we got) to no avail, they wouldn't for example substitute strawberry jam for grape on the PB&J's....can you imagine?  A $4,000 trip and reduced to eating Kindergarten food?!  We requested white meat for the room service chicken and of course it arrived as dark meat.  So irritating and I was near tears, we were not deserving of some honesty?