Uh-oh! Somebody "broke" the Glory!

pengu1n

The port has a HUGE ship repair yard. Fincantieri has hundreds of qualified workers and machinery to repair cruise ships there. They have actually built many Carnival ships. Looks like they are providing a little "factory service" for the Glory docking equipment. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Moviela said:

The port has a HUGE ship repair yard. Fincantieri has hundreds of qualified workers and machinery to repair cruise ships there. They have actually built many Carnival ships. Looks like they are providing a little "factory service" for the Glory docking equipment. 

Good thing Carnival bought the Extended Warranty

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Moviela said:

The port has a HUGE ship repair yard. 

Fincantieri has hundreds of qualified workers and machinery

to repair cruise ships there.

They have actually built many Carnival ships.

Looks like they are providing a little "factory service"

for the Glory docking equipment. 

Very interesting!

Didn't know that: thanks for the edu.

Progreso.JPG

We had a stop in Progresso which turned into a great beach day!  There is a bus which takes you from the ship into a very small terminal in town.  From there it was a few minutes walk to a beautiful beach.  We paid a low price for chairs and umbrella, and ordered a bucket of beer.  There were  a few selling things/music along the beach who could be a bit relentless at times.  It turned into one of our best days.

• Like 1

I have done two excursions in Progreso. The Corona Beach Party and the Craft Beer tour in Merida. I much preferred the beer tour and seeing Merida. At the time the tour was $39 a person. The last it saw was about $75 per person now (not worth it). The beach for the Corona Beach Party had heavy seaweed and had a strong stinch. Worst than the occasional sewage smell on the ship. They did have a rope around the area to keep out the peddlers that were constantly call from the rope and people did go over and buy leather goods and hats. I am on a cruise in two weeks that goes to Progreso. I will probably sleep late, enjoy a late breakfast, visit the terminal shops, have a couple of beers and get back on the ship.

13 hours ago, Moviela said:

While Fincantieri has built most of Carnival's ships, they only bought interest in the Progresso shipyard in October last year.  I seriously doubt that 1. Fincantieri has moved workers from Italy to Mexico already, and 2. that Mexico would allow much of that.  While there is a large shipyard there, it is mostly for the offshore oil industry, and has no drydocking facility.  It is more of a choice of convenience, in that it provides a port call with the opportunity to have shipyard workers available.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

While Fincantieri has built most of Carnival's ships,

they only bought interest in the Progresso shipyard in October last year. 

I seriously doubt that 1. Fincantieri has moved workers from Italy to Mexico already, and 2. that Mexico would allow much of that. 

While there is a large shipyard there,

it is mostly for the offshore oil industry, and has no drydocking facility.

I had a look on Google Earth satellite-image views

and this large square area would seem to be it?

I think I see a slipway? (wouldn't fit Glory,anyway..)

Progreso-2.JPG

49 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

I had a look on Google Earth satellite-image views

and this large square area would seem to be it?

I think I see a slipway? (wouldn't fit Glory,anyway..)

Progreso-2.JPG

That's part of the yard, but that's just a small docking area that's the indent (looks to be about 100' long).  That is typical of an assembly area for offshore rigs and platforms.  There are no large drydocks in Mexico, which is why Fincantieri made such a big splash about the investment.  They will be building two graving docks.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, pengu1n said:

Leaving tomorrow and just got this letter:

Anybody know what happened?  Is Progresso a tender port?

image.thumb.png.c5d70c71f15e955080e6388ceb6fceea.png

I was at cozumel yesterday and glory sat out there for the longest time. I have a aft corner on liberty OTS and watched them wondering ... they did finally dock yesterday. Seemed like hours they sat out there. I was thinking are they a hospital ship, why sit out there. Maybe it's fixed so they can dock now but sure took a very long time. 

1 hour ago, ledges1 said:

I have done two excursions in Progreso. The Corona Beach Party and the Craft Beer tour in Merida. I much preferred the beer tour and seeing Merida. At the time the tour was $39 a person. The last it saw was about $75 per person now (not worth it). The beach for the Corona Beach Party had heavy seaweed and had a strong stinch. Worst than the occasional sewage smell on the ship. They did have a rope around the area to keep out the peddlers that were constantly call from the rope and people did go over and buy leather goods and hats. I am on a cruise in two weeks that goes to Progreso. I will probably sleep late, enjoy a late breakfast, visit the terminal shops, have a couple of beers and get back on the ship.

Costa maya had very very heavy seaweed, worst I've ever seen. Some in cozumel but not as bad. It's bad this week.