Sky princess 28 March live

db51

Thought you would like to see VIP embarkation for the first uk departure this year!! Waiting 1.20 hours so far unfortunately VIP means no seats so resorted to floor. Go Princess!

image.thumb.jpg.62f9e366a5b892bc3a070a5576cc80d6.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.1cd5bf2b4bd8d59733360cf32f6e9d73.jpg

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, db51 said:

Thought you would like to see VIP embarkation for the first uk departure this year!! Waiting 1.20 hours so far unfortunately VIP means no seats so resorted to floor. Go Princess!

image.thumb.jpg.62f9e366a5b892bc3a070a5576cc80d6.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.1cd5bf2b4bd8d59733360cf32f6e9d73.jpg

I can see this is very disappointing, but I read that embarkation was delayed by 90 minutes today, boarding generally starts at midday  so I wouldn’t expect boarding to commence until 1:30pm.

we experienced the same on P&O, people ignored the revised times and it was very uncomfortable waiting. 

• Like 1

Did Princess notify passengers in advance of the expected delay?

Maybe GB has a similar process as the US for ships that have not been in country for a number of months?  There are additional checks of the ship and its crew by the authorities which can lead to a delay of 1-2 hours (or sometimes more).  In addition, IIRC there have been reports of numerous cases of covid-19 on the Sky so if they were disembarking the patients and families first that could also create an embarkation back-up.

Hope you have a great - and healthy - cruise!

• Like 2

Problem is we arrived to drop the car, intending on going off for a walk and they told us to go inside because embarkation had started. We followed directions then were not allowed to go outside. They carried on letting people in even once there was no seating, putting people awaiting test results and people who had passed in the same room. I have never known anything like it. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Did Princess notify passengers in advance of the expected delay?

Maybe GB has a similar process as the US for ships that have not been in country for a number of months?  There are additional checks of the ship and its crew by the authorities which can lead to a delay of 1-2 hours (or sometimes more).  In addition, IIRC there have been reports of numerous cases of covid-19 on the Sky so if they were disembarking the patients and families first that could also create an embarkation back-up.

Hope you have a great - and healthy - cruise!

Yes they did announce it but I understand some may not have got the email but read about it here and on FB. 
seems OP was misinformed by someone working at the terminal, along with 100’s of others judging by the photo.  

16 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

I can see this is very disappointing, but I read that embarkation was delayed by 90 minutes today, boarding generally starts at midday  so I wouldn’t expect boarding to commence until 1:30pm.

we experienced the same on P&O, people ignored the revised times and it was very uncomfortable waiting. 

When one flies in, it is difficult to time going to the pier. There really is no place to hang out but the pier. I know it is different for locals who can drive but those who fly rely on Princess transfers. Hanging out at airport or pier is really the only option.

• Like 1

Just now, Coral said:

When one flies in, it is difficult to time going to the pier. There really is no place to hang out but the pier. I know it is different for locals who can drive but those who fly rely on Princess transfers. Hanging out at airport or pier is really the only option.

I understand that, but when you know there is a 90 minute delay you can expect scenes like this.  As, as you said some people aren’t in control of when they arrive. 

Boarding in the UK with Princess very very rarely starts before midday, as that is when security opens.  So with a 90 minute delay Princess will be ahead of schedule if they commence embarkation by 1:30pm.  With people arriving since 11am that’s a lot of people in a bottle neck.

11 minutes ago, db51 said:

Just no area available. Just announced platinum early boarding but still no suites.

This isn’t right and I would find a staff member to query it with.  Platinum guests are the last group of priority, suites and elite before them, so you may have missed your announcement.

It has been an absolute disgrace. My check in was 11am, no email to say otherwise. We have been left standing for over 3.5 hours with no communication, no access to water and limited toilet facilities. The queues go back for miles. They eventually brought out some office chairs for a few of the elderly who were at the point of collapse (someone was screened off who had clearly became unwell).

When they eventually started to come along the queue with information we had several people give different explanations which contradicted each other.

Complete cattle class, in fact they would have provided cattle with access to water! 

Not impressed by this or the letter re masks once onboard. It contradicts what we had been told previously and what is on the website right now.

Several people were taking videos of the queues so they will probably pop up on social media somewhere

• Thanks 2

I am going to say my piece and then hide this thread from my view.

I think it is dreadful what everyone has experienced during embarkation of Sky Princess, today, I truly do. A terrible way to start a holiday and I can understand why people are frustrated and angry.  Sadly the effects of these queues for some will take more than a good nights sleep and a couple of drinks to get over, and I hope the cruise becomes better for all on board as it progresses. 

Of course there will be videos and cries of disgust, people are entitled to share their distaste and disappointment. 

However, at the beginning of this month we were still waiting for the sailing protocols for Southampton to be published.  This eventually happened about a fortnight ago.  So when the vast majority of pax booked this cruise the mandatory mask wearing was still the rule.  This was reduced to, some venues, sometimes, or as required.  

so for those unhappy about that, I’m sorry this feels like a backward step to you.  I bet those in quarantine hotels are wishing that protocol had not been relaxed for their sailings, you will never please all the people all the time. But Princess have not done anything wrong by currently requiring mask wearing. 

It appears the enormity of the situation was only truly realised over the last few days. So Princess took the decision to delay all embarkation by 90 minutes, it seems that due to the short time frame “some” were not aware, unfortunate and very very inconvenient.

However, when you are active on. a CC roll call and fully aware ( even if you did not received the official notification from Princess) of the situation,  it’s tiresome to blame the company because you chose to ignore the information you knew about you have to take some accountability. 

I really hope those onboard start to relax and have a great time, try not to let this bad day set the tone for your entire holiday.  

I’m fortunate to have friends onboard so will look forward to their updates (WiFi allowing) rather than following the live thread. 

Edited by Pink-belle
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

I think it is dreadful what everyone has experienced during embarkation of Sky Princess, today, I truly do. A terrible way to start a holiday and I can understand why people are frustrated and angry.  Sadly the effects of these queues for some will take more than a good nights sleep and a couple of drinks to get over, and I hope the cruise becomes better for all on board as it progresses. 

Of course there will be videos and cries of disgust, people are entitled to share their distaste and disappointment. 

However, at the beginning of this month we were still waiting for the sailing protocols for Southampton to be published.  This eventually happened about a fortnight ago.  So when the vast majority of pax booked this cruise the mandatory mask wearing was still the rule.  This was reduced to, some venues, sometimes, or as required.  

so for those unhappy about that, I’m sorry this feels like a backward step to you.  I bet those in quarantine hotels are wishing that protocol had not been relaxed for their sailings, you will never please all the people all the time. But Princess have not done anything wrong by currently requiring mask wearing. 

It appears the enormity of the situation was only truly realised over the last few days. So Princess took the decision to delay all embarkation by 90 minutes, it seems that due to the short time frame “some” were not aware, unfortunate and very very inconvenient.

However, when you are active on. a CC roll call and fully aware ( even if you did not received the official notification from Princess) of the situation,  it’s tiresome to blame the company because you chose to ignore the information you knew about you have to take some accountability. 

I really hope those onboard start to relax and have a great time, try not to let this bad day set the tone for your entire holiday.  

I’m fortunate to have friends onboard so will look forward to their updates (WiFi allowing) rather than following the live thread. 

It is illegal to read a phone while driving, so I wasn’t following cc while driving down to Southampton. Most people would have been travelling surely?

The mask situation should have been confirmed in advance, the USA pax on here say it has been in place for days. I had a hint from another cc member (so thank you to them) and was able to bring a supply, others were not.

Your attitude might be different had you actually been faced with the situation.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Eglesbrech said:

It is illegal to read a phone while driving, so I wasn’t following cc while driving down to Southampton. Most people would have been travelling surely?

The mask situation should have been confirmed in advance, the USA pax on here say it has been in place for days. I had a hint from another cc member (so thank you to them) and was able to bring a supply, others were not.

Your attitude might be different had you actually been faced with the situation.

Probably not, people often want to be first on ship, add that to a delay and it will mean a very unpleasant experience.  I would have parked in West Quay and had lunch before joining the queue after 2pm, if I had that option, which I would have, as like you I was driving. 
Princess are supplying masks for those that need them, but I was in Southampton Boots yesterday with sailing friend, who was buying required masks for the cruise having seen the information on the roll call you are a part of.  I admit it applied to the cruise that ended today, not started today, but I think with the delayed boarding it was inevitable at least for the first few days.

that said it’s still a horrid situation, but everyone can play a part to make a bad situation worse or a bad situation better, blaming others doesn’t often lead to much satisfaction in my experience.  I’ve had bad Princess experiences, but when it comes down to it the only person that effects is me.

as I said I hope everything gets better from now on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

We disembarked this morning and it went really fast.  There were no delays.  We received a letter under the door a few days ago to wear the KN95 masks due to covid cases amongst the crew and passengers.  We wore our masks everywhere, except when eating or drinking (obviously).  Most people wore theirs also, but there were also quite a few who felt comfortable not to, as it was allowed.  We are not there yet.  I did notice that more and more people chose not to wear the masks the longer we were cruising.  The last few days there were a number of people with bad coughs so be vigilant about the mask-wearing and hand-washing.

FWIW, embarkation in Fort Lauderdale was also bedlam.  And there is no internet.  We had a lovely cruise, though, and I hope you enjoy yours!

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Pink-belle said:

However, at the beginning of this month we were ———//-///////

Good idea 

let’s hope all on-board have a great, safe cruise.