On OASIS now, any questions?

On Oasis now (& day Eastern) thought I would share some observations for future cruisers. This is our 4th cruise this year (the 3 prior on Celebrity).

We are at full capacity with a charter group of 1,200 Steeler fans (of which I am one), 880 kids/teens enjoying Spring Break (and creating the usual Spring Break moans and groans from us oldsters).

Stopped in the Buffet for lunch (we usually just do the UDP) but wanted to check out the serving arrangements as there has been much discussion. It is a mix of styles with regard to filling your plate. There are foods that are pre-plated in small dishes (salads, appetizers, etc.), there are still many hot dishes where you must ask for a scoop or serving from an attendant and finally there are a few places where you can grab your own food (bread station and drink station).

A few disappointments so far as we have been told by every bar on the ship that they are out of Bourbon since day 3. There is literally none to be had anywhere! Several bars had also run out of cabs so it is a hunt to find some bottles (not telling where they are as they in very short supply). I guess we all have "traditions" of sorts around the dining experience and one of ours in Izumi is to have a good bottle of sake. Much to our surprise they have no unfiltered sake (perfect snow) so I asked for the next sake on the menu and was told "sorry sir we are out of sake". Meal starts and looking forward to edamame "sorry sir we are out of edamame but we do have fava beans as replacement".

I have switched over to drinking vodka and rum drinks at this point as wine and bourbon are a no go. I was surprised to see that vintages had suspended several of the wine tastings due to a shortage of wine on board. 

Some bright points however, love the food and ambiance of portside BBQ, Giovanni's is as good as ever and Park 150 was very good. Coco Cay perfect day as good as always! 

As mentioned it is Spring Break and we are loaded with "kids" the young ones are full of energy and running everywhere they go. The tweens are up to the usual games of running in packs and hitting all of the elevator buttons and such. I expect all of this when on a Spring Break Cruise so no big deal. Some of the older teens are another story as they have figured out how to "hide out" in the bathrooms after curfew in the larger handicap stalls. Saw this twice last evening alone  and reported to security as there was clearly more than talking going on in there...

The ship is clean but clearly understaffed in the bars and dining venues. Most of the crew I have spoken with estimate that they are still running at 70% of normal staffing levels so you may have to wait a bit (who cares we are on a ship right?). They are trying to manage the situation by rotating some bar and dining hours.

Music is always subject to taste but this is just a weird mix of offerings on this cruise. They have a Led Zepplin Cover band in the music room for 4 nights in a row doing the same show over and over. They are good at the tribute (wow are they loud) but it is a one and done for me. The best music I have run into is the guitar player at portside BBQ (country), the Mexican band (they are quick to correct that they are not tejano) at Boleros (they cracked me up playing ackey breaky heart), and the cruise orch filling in at the Jazz club. Not a fan of the guy in the pub and the Humans are just OK. We have a decent tropical band on here as well that did a nice Bob Marley tribute.

Just my opinion, but I am not sure the cruise lines were thinking we would come back at 100% this fast and that may be leading to the shortages of certain foods,  wines and booze. I am sure they will get it right in the very near future. 

In St Martin today then 2 sea days before back to Miami. I need a reminder every 5 years or so as to why I should not sail during Spring Break 🙂

• Like 8

Was on the Anthem 2 weeks ago, they were also out of sake, the wine bar was just a "bar" per the bartender as they were out of a variety of wines, and other alcohol was also short or not available due to the supply chain.  To be expected though.

Will be on Oasis in July, booked it yesterday!

27 minutes ago, mia081081 said:

Thanks for the updates! I sure hope they restock that bourbon in the next 2 weeks! Did you happen to see if Laser Tag is back? 

Laser tag does not appear in the app for Friday ( Sea Day ) so I suspect it is not back at this time...

Thanks for the review.  We were on a month ago and the only thing in short supply (that I saw) was Blanton's bourbon.  

Mea culpa on the cabs.  Julie and I hit them fairly hard, just ask Cristóbal in Vintages.

(and the Kraken too)

• Like 1

If the laser tag is closed, I'm curious if the Mission Control Escape Room is open or not? Also, since you mentioned you are going to Saint Maarten today, can you clarify if you saw any large kelp issues there on any of the beaches? It used to be 4 feet deep and several yards out in some places. Thanks!

33 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Is the water display under the Rising Tide Bar active?

How big are the new balconies over the exit doors of Central Park?

Balconies have always been there. Just open now. Big enough for a cafe table and 2 chairs

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bupperd00dle said:

If the laser tag is closed, I'm curious if the Mission Control Escape Room is open or not? Also, since you mentioned you are going to Saint Maarten today, can you clarify if you saw any large kelp issues there on any of the beaches? It used to be 4 feet deep and several yards out in some places. Thanks!

We were there a month ago.  No seaweed issues at Orient Beach.  Clean and nice.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bupperd00dle said:

jumping in, but escape room was open for March 20 cruise, suggest to book early as we couldn't find a time halfway through cruise to book except for 1 person

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bead Pirate said:

Meal starts and looking forward to edamame "sorry sir we are out of edamame but we do have fava beans as replacement".

OMG! That is ridiculous. :classic_rolleyes::classic_biggrin:

Thanks for the info.  We're on Apr 10 - 24 and sooooo looking forward to it.

I've been finding feedback on Oasis but one thing not yet mentioned....

How is the piano entertainment in Schooner?  Is it upbeat and interactive, or just "soothing piano melodies by Sam the Piano Man"?

We always enjoy a lively evening (or 2,3,...) in Schooner, so I'm curious on the caliber of entertainment in this venue.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, feisty77 said:

jumping in, but escape room was open for March 20 cruise, suggest to book early as we couldn't find a time halfway through cruise to book except for 1 person

Where do you go to book escape room and other fun stuff? My grandkids are boarding in 2 days. Thanks!