Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

3 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Oh, so sorry to get up this morning, looking forward to reading about your adventures, and find this terrible news.  I’m so sad for you both,  this is twice Covid has directly destroyed your active cruise plans.  

It just seems impossible to do enough to guarantee avoiding this thing unless you just sit in your own home all day every day with the doors and windows closed and a protective bubble over your head.  The blessed fact that you have no symptoms is the reason it is so sneaky....unless you test every single day there have to be lots of people walking around totally oblivious that they have it, just like you.  how in the world do you police something like that?

I wish we could be more realistic about this thing.  “Experts” state that it is like the flu.  Some people will get it every year.  Some people won’t get it at all.  A very few will die from it, like the flu,  Most people will take the immunizations for it and will get lesser cases, if at all.  Life goes on.  We live with it and deal with it.  It’s time for policy to catch up with the science, IMO.  I realize that the cruise industry has no choice but to follow the demands of the CDC but enough already.

Joanie

I have to agree with you --- But the CDC  is no longer applicable to Silhouette in Europe.   EC equivalent are on board today in Belgium doing the Sanitation Checks per EC regulations. 

It may take Celebrity awhile to revise their protocols.     I have a feeling from what I'm hearing that there are LOTS of case aboard. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Well just received my resultsimage.png.ba69906df05ff0c9368ecf8a346f2623.png

Yikes -  It has been an 1 1/2 hour since the test and no telephone call or contact at this point.   Iain was just looking out the peep hole and I asked are their prison guards out there.

More as this unravels - 

By the way I feel perfectly normal, temperature 97.8 (my normal) Oxygen Saturation 99 

I Am so sorry that you have tested + for C-19 and have to dis-embark shortly...

I wonder what would have happened were you a few days into the next sailing and tested +?

I Am also so sorry that I cannot fly over there right away to make use of your cabin on the next segment and 'try' to keep up the wonderful postings you have made!!! LOL

Continue to feel better and I guess you will be going to Scotland sooner than thought, if it is an option given the test results?

In health and bon voyage

8 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Oh, so sorry to get up this morning, looking forward to reading about your adventures, and find this terrible news.  I’m so sad for you both,  this is twice Covid has directly destroyed your active cruise plans.  

It just seems impossible to do enough to guarantee avoiding this thing unless you just sit in your own home all day every day with the doors and windows closed and a protective bubble over your head.  The blessed fact that you have no symptoms is the reason it is so sneaky....unless you test every single day there have to be lots of people walking around totally oblivious that they have it, just like you.  how in the world do you police something like that?

I wish we could be more realistic about this thing.  “Experts” state that it is like the flu.  Some people will get it every year.  Some people won’t get it at all.  A very few will die from it, like the flu,  Most people will take the immunizations for it and will get lesser cases, if at all.  Life goes on.  We live with it and deal with it.  It’s time for policy to catch up with the science, IMO.  I realize that the cruise industry has no choice but to follow the demands of the CDC but enough already.

Joanie

Could not agree more!  What gets lost in all of this is the mortality rate, 1%.  Maybe it's time for the ships medical departments to stock Paxlovid!  Even Dr. Fauci says everyone is going to get it at some point.  The CDC's figure is that 65% of adults have already had it (I believe it's most likely higher due to those that do not report or test or are asymptomatic and 3 out of 4 children have already had it)  Everyone I know that has gotten it of late has either no symptoms or a mild cold and that includes some who were never vaccinated!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

I Am so sorry that you have tested + for C-19 and have to dis-embark shortly...

I wonder what would have happened were you a few days into the next sailing and tested +?

I Am also so sorry that I cannot fly over there right away to make use of your cabin on the next segment and 'try' to keep up the wonderful postings you have made!!! LOL

Continue to feel better and I guess you will be going to Scotland sooner than thought, if it is an option given the test results?

In health and bon voyage

Bo - 

I would guess we would just continue having a great time as neither of us have any symptoms.    If we did come down with It we may have been imprisoned on Deck 3

I'm sure someone is going to get a surprise Gratis upgrade to our RS.    That's what happened to us on the TA.   We got a call the night before someone tested positive and the ship was already closed so they gave it to us.    It was funny because the previous guests Gillian and Peter showed up on our TV with us on our TV every time we were on the Main Menu.   I guess they were hiding under the bed.

From what I heard was on the TA -  A guest on one of the PH had a cocktail party for sail away and then tested positive contract tracing 3 couples in RS's.    I presumed he many also have infected our butler and state room attendants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Now this one is funny.   Geda our waiter had a little trouble getting the lobster to flame so added about extra pour of brandy.  Watch him check out the ceiling.   

Music - Setting world on fire. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

Might as well ask for bubble bath too🙄😇

I just have an image of bubbles on the balcony area!  But with those winds you’d probably need a coat! 

That reminds me of a cruise we took a few years ago when my daughter was 16. On board Connie she and a friend thought it would be fun to use the tub in our Royal suite and used a couple of those little bottles of shampoo......

Needless to say they had a huge job trying to stop the foam pouring over the side of the ship.🙄

The buttler aparantly didn't bat an eyelid when they asked for more towels and helped them get it all cleared up before we returned... We didnt find out about it until months latter🙃

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I may have to cancel the first Caribbean cruise or would be a b4b.

I presume they issue a FCC for the Norway or possibly I can move it to next year.    Having said that - it was the last cruise I had with my EX Travel Agent --- she has been a nightmare that I'm glad is coming to an end.

Maybe I should start a thread on the site with initials FB for Bad TA references.  A private group for sure.

You should be eligible for a refund or FCC for the Norway voyage. From Celebrity Covid Policy document.

If you, your family members, members of your Traveling Party or other close contacts are denied embarkation or reboarding, or quarantined or disembarked during the voyage, due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, you and they are entitled to a refund, or an optional FCC, for the cruise fare paid to Celebrity in the event of denial at embarkation, or a pro-rated refund or pro-rated FCC for the unused portion of your cruise fare in all other cases.

As sad as it is to end our cruise early, we had a fantastic dinner in Murano last night. 

07C47501-D766-4DEB-9EC1-A1F033CFCA02.thumb.jpeg.bfdb5c28186c5426e37d09651b5b684c.jpeg

C8CF1A0F-3124-4BA8-87DD-4AAF3FAC0FB2.thumb.jpeg.c75b2ea6b91e611ed888ea3b6ca988a4.jpeg

E7DBCB57-DE21-439E-BAAC-8116BFCC45B6.thumb.jpeg.3f32ab3795f9150420fbf17d7bf128a6.jpeg

I started with the risotto with. Foam and crisp garlic and morel mushrooms.    Yummy

47B3A6BF-53A0-44E1-B481-BA43CCE0902A.thumb.jpeg.92aa60cad10204080fe18193bf11d31c.jpeg

Iain started with the cheese soufflé 

5309F983-03BC-43D2-A470-863785FC36A3.thumb.jpeg.4d9b6833970017a68bb8ecea3e5c178b.jpeg

E506B77B-2ED8-4C0D-BB83-CD1BA2641712.thumb.jpeg.83b7f107e3400afc7b1280d270c5c40c.jpeg

F5815852-F93A-40C8-ABFA-97CC08CCB2DA.thumb.jpeg.f763f91f2ad77ed67c1d033fc1f1b433.jpeg

12D2DDBE-3701-4775-A9ED-595CE3ED335D.thumb.jpeg.9de23044277dd991634d148732192ab8.jpeg

51A39399-D649-4ACE-A508-84C821A08A83.thumb.jpeg.dc1441407b241724e0579d016effbc8c.jpeg

0372E717-DEFF-4FE9-877C-2483C74AC028.thumb.jpeg.63cd746d766df9af6c7c72534a00d7b5.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

All I have been saying when I researched that was WOW.   

I explains the attitude of those aboard. 

I'm not a Celebrity cruiser, but I was following your adventures as I was enjoying the photos, and also getting an  insight in to what it was like cruising on a busy ship out of Southampton with a load of British cruisers who have been convinced that 'it's 'over'

As you have found out, many of my countrymen and women no longer bother with masks, and social distancing is a concept that has been forgotten.

I thought you were doing all the right things - to avoid infection, unfortunately it looks like it got you anyway. 

My next cruise isn't until March I had already decided that I wouldn't go into the theatres or cinema, and I wouldn't go on any ships excursions.  However, there's quite a big part of me that thinks cruising and the various risks involved are more trouble that its worth, so I may not go at all. Unless there's a major change for the better regarding the pandemic, I'm thinking my cruising days are over.

Thank you for all your reports, and hope that you stay feeling well in the short term, and have no long term affects from the virus.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Joanie

The trouble with Covid is that its not just the short term effects (and they can still be very unpleasant), there's the long term effects too, like Long Covid and organ damage from the virus. Not to mention as yet unknown long term issues from a novel virus.

When people say we have to deal with it and live with it, I'm never quite sure what they mean - but it often means that they just want to ignore it. Unfortunately, that's not an option - if we did that we are going to store up a load of problems for the future 

• Like 20

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Well just received my resultsimage.png.ba69906df05ff0c9368ecf8a346f2623.png

Aww MAN! 

Normally, I keep my thoughts to myself...but... I was  little worried at the 3rd Butler/PRT change.  Typically, that is the one person that you get closest to in the upper suites...and relax around.

Here's hoping ya'll are blessed with a continuing asymptomatic 'event' and Iain avoids it totally.

Kat

I've been following along on your thread.  Thank you for all of the informative posts and pictures.  As everyone else, I am so sorry that you tested positive for Covid.  After the ship's positive test, did you self-administer another test in your cabin?  I just wonder how accurate the tests on the ship are, and if their procedures to match the test with the passenger are not subject to error.  

Thanks and I hope you both continue to be asymptomatic.  

Sorry to hear about your Test result was hoping that it was a false positive and Celebrity changed their ways with all the chats and loyal passengers sending their thoughts on isolation and procedures. especially with B2B's. No doubt you would of been happy to isolate in your suite for the 5 day period if no symptoms then carry on with a mask when out and about(live in Canada) We have had very strict rules in Ontario but not everyone has access to testing rapid or PCR without cost- was a period of short supply. It is getting better most rules are gone but people are getting it and have no clue from where as they limit possible exposure time and wear masks if needed.

Hope both of you stay healthy...and can start planning where you are going to spend  your OBC maybe they will cash it out for you since you can't carry on to next leg of your cruise.

So sorry to hear this news Jim. You two were so careful. At least you got 2 cruises in. I’ve really enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your gorgeous pictures. Hopefully your symptoms will be mild and you’ll be able to enjoy your long awaited visit with Iain’s family. 

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I'm not a Celebrity cruiser, but I was following your adventures as I was enjoying the photos, and also getting an  insight in to what it was like cruising on a busy ship out of Southampton with a load of British cruisers who have been convinced that 'it's 'over'

As you have found out, many of my countrymen and women no longer bother with masks, and social distancing is a concept that has been forgotten.

I thought you were doing all the right things - to avoid infection, unfortunately it looks like it got you anyway. 

My next cruise isn't until March I had already decided that I wouldn't go into the theatres or cinema, and I wouldn't go on any ships excursions.  However, there's quite a big part of me that thinks cruising and the various risks involved are more trouble that its worth, so I may not go at all. Unless there's a major change for the better regarding the pandemic, I'm thinking my cruising days are over.

Thank you for all your reports, and hope that you stay feeling well in the short term, and have no long term affects from the virus.

Thanks -- Even though we were really careful there is nothing any of us can do about a possible false positive.   Since they will not test me again or give me any test kits I'm saving my last 2 until we can pick up some more in Southampton to verify.  

I certainly will respect others and isolate even though the British Government don' t have any regulations that we do so or even require us to mask up.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spiritkat090909 said:

Aww MAN! 

Normally, I keep my thoughts to myself...but... I was  little worried at the 3rd Butler/PRT change.  Typically, that is the one person that you get closest to in the upper suites...and relax around.

Here's hoping ya'll are blessed with a continuing asymptomatic 'event' and Iain avoids it totally.

Kat

Thanks Kat --- an I love your Icon  

My Roku has gotten a workout today.    We've watched a couple episodes of Downton Abbey on Netflix and now watching the morning News from home on YouTube TV. 

Bandwidth has been good but for some reason the main Celebrity Site just won't load past my logon screen. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pushkin said:

I've been following along on your thread.  Thank you for all of the informative posts and pictures.  As everyone else, I am so sorry that you tested positive for Covid.  After the ship's positive test, did you self-administer another test in your cabin?  I just wonder how accurate the tests on the ship are, and if their procedures to match the test with the passenger are not subject to error.  

Thanks and I hope you both continue to be asymptomatic.  

I tested last night around mid-night and was a solid NeGATIVE.   I wanted to save my last couple tests as it really doen't matter at this point.   They will not test me again on the ship or give me any self tests.  Oh well... The reason they will not test is the UK doesn't require self quarantine even if positive. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kar1996 said:

Sorry to hear about your Test result was hoping that it was a false positive and Celebrity changed their ways with all the chats and loyal passengers sending their thoughts on isolation and procedures. especially with B2B's. No doubt you would of been happy to isolate in your suite for the 5 day period if no symptoms then carry on with a mask when out and about(live in Canada) We have had very strict rules in Ontario but not everyone has access to testing rapid or PCR without cost- was a period of short supply. It is getting better most rules are gone but people are getting it and have no clue from where as they limit possible exposure time and wear masks if needed.

Hope both of you stay healthy...and can start planning where you are going to spend  your OBC maybe they will cash it out for you since you can't carry on to next leg of your cruise.

I'm good on the OBC via the secret way I will not reveal online to make sure they don't close it. 

BTW you can't carry over any NR OBC as they have to cash out the ship at the end of each cruise.

Some have reported that you can use slot cash receipts for the next cruise but I have no knowledge if true.  The bar coded sheet says you can't .