Truth about dress code enforcement please, - not policy.

budmeister

2 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Is there a style of bathing suit which doesn’t meet the dress code on the pool deck?

For gorgeous 32 yr olds--- no !!

Holy cow, ya shoulda seen , etc, etc---- and, the guy on the lounge next to me even woke up his wife --- She said " disgusting " and went right back to sleep. He had a big smile on his face !

11 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I’ve worn and will wear shorts, not been turned away yet

Did I say anything about shorts? No.  But...you wear shorts in the evening in the dining room and specialty restaurants? 

11 hours ago, Woody14 said:

Suit and T-shirt Season Is Officially Here | GQ

so wearing this would be a no?     

now if I looked like him they would likely let me in 🐵

If you looked like him they would let you in if you were naked.

Seeing as that is unlikely....sure. I guess I should have said T-shirts are a no go unless you wear them with a suit :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/6/2022 at 8:49 AM, miched said:

I attended a parochial school.  The girls had to wear uniforms and the boys had to wear white shirts and a dark tie.      If you forgot your tie you were sent to the office to rent one for the day.    It was 50 cents and a clown style.     They were  about 8 inches wide and about 5 ft long.   No matter how you tied it it would hang down past your crotch and had the most outrageous designs on them and really loud.  I think the nuns made them.    I never forgot to wear a tie because  I always left a spare black tie in my locker

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

This made me laugh. I always felt that my class was the end of an era. I attended public school and there were strict dress codes right up to 1970. Girls could not wear pants and jeans were a no no for boys. I had to go to the Dean of women or girls (can't recall her exact title)... I got in trouble for wearing culottes... the dean called them shorts... I ask her who in their right mind would wear plaid woolen shorts. I pointed out that it was difficult to maintain a nice pleat. I did talk her out of whatever punishment she planned. After graduation... I came back the next year and all hell had broken out... kids were wearing jeans and so were the girls... it was as if I had been assigned a different generation... and had no say

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

LOL…I guess I’ll have to cancel my fall ABC Cruise…I’ll work hard to do better. 🙂

We could close this thread now if you just did what you’re told.  😭

On 4/6/2022 at 10:37 AM, mikewomb said:

Frankly we find people look worse than ever. Pajamas  on a plane, baseball caps in a restaurant.. many people have turned into slobs, and don’t care. I do not understand, why people want to look like they are mowing the yard?~

Feel the same way, I seen a few mow your lawn people at night.sad!

• Haha 1

Genuinely wondering since I'm part of a younger demographic than almost anyone else on this board, I'd imagine (I'm 22). Why does it matter what other people are wearing? I never notice those around me or am bothered by what they're wearing if they walk past and I do notice, and I feel like I am at a restaurant to dine and enjoy the culinary experience, not to people watch. I've asked some other people my age this as well and never got a real good answer in my opinion. This most recently came up when we went to a $250 a person steakhouse and I realized right as we were about to leave "oh I should probably dress nicer", but at the end of the day, who would it benefit (or detract from) except for me and the people I am going to dinner with? Is this just something that was more "taught" before my generation came around?

• Like 8

Dressing a certain way is part of the ambiance of the experience.  The tableware, music or no music, restaurant décor, mannerisms of the waitstaff can all add or detract from that total experience.  The way my fellow diners look and act can also increase or decrease the overall experience.  By not adhering to certain rules in place by the establishment can  make it seem that the individual becomes the central player and it is all about him/her/they.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

The only time I've been bothered by what someone was wearing was at a shared table for breakfast on a ship. A very nice gentleman was wearing one of those A-line undershirts that was well past its prime. The arm holes were super stretched out. Seeing his armpit hair while I was eating was less than pleasant, no matter how lovely the conversation was. When a hair fell onto his plate as he was reaching for the butter, I nearly gagged. He noticed it a minute or so later, and flicked it onto the table.

I definitely could have done without that experience. 

Photo included for reference. He was not built like the dude in the picture. 

image.png

9 minutes ago, peanut head said:

Dressing a certain way is part of the ambiance of the experience.  The tableware, music or no music, restaurant décor, mannerisms of the waitstaff can all add or detract from that total experience.  The way my fellow diners look and act can also increase or decrease the overall experience.  By not adhering to certain rules in place by the establishment can  make it seem that the individual becomes the central player and it is all about him/her/they.

Might be the best thing I’ve read on CC lately. 

12 minutes ago, peyeet said:

Genuinely wondering since I'm part of a younger demographic than almost anyone else on this board, I'd imagine (I'm 22). Why does it matter what other people are wearing? I never notice those around me or am bothered by what they're wearing if they walk past and I do notice, and I feel like I am at a restaurant to dine and enjoy the culinary experience, not to people watch. I've asked some other people my age this as well and never got a real good answer in my opinion. This most recently came up when we went to a $250 a person steakhouse and I realized right as we were about to leave "oh I should probably dress nicer", but at the end of the day, who would it benefit (or detract from) except for me and the people I am going to dinner with? Is this just something that was more "taught" before my generation came around?

Part of the experience is dressing up and getting ready.  If you date a girl (or guy) will you put some effort into how you look?  Sure most people don’t even wear suits anymore but they still dress up a bit.

Do you want to spend the night looking at baseball caps with political messages?  Or tshirts that say something offensive?  I sure don’t.

Why do we bother dressing up?  Why do we go out to restaurants?  Can’t we just eat at home in our pajamas?

Some parts of this are styles that change from year to year.  Like people who don’t tuck in their shirt.  Grrrr.  🙂

• Thanks 1

I enjoy reading all the opinions about the dress code. When booking a cruise I check out the requirements and only book a cruise that suits me, and I follow the dress code. There are plenty of cruise lines to suit all tastes. No need to book one that requires evening chic, or smart casual if you want to spend all evening in shorts and  tee shirts.

I remember the days sending my children off to school ensuring all the correct uniform components were in place and worn correctly. I knew the uniform requirements for the school and never considered allowing my children to turn up in the wrong clothes. Establishments are allowed to make their rules, and people can choose whether to go or not.

Some people just like breaking rules and trying to justify why they should be allowed to. But it all makes good reading 😀🙄🤫

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, laslomas said:

I enjoy reading all the opinions about the dress code. When booking a cruise I check out the requirements and only book a cruise that suits me, and I follow the dress code. There are plenty of cruise lines to suit all tastes. No need to book one that requires evening chic, or smart casual if you want to spend all evening in shorts and  tee shirts.

I remember the days sending my children off to school ensuring all the correct uniform components were in place and worn correctly. I knew the uniform requirements for the school and never considered allowing my children to turn up in the wrong clothes. Establishments are allowed to make their rules, and people can choose whether to go or not.

Some people just like breaking rules and trying to justify why they should be allowed to. But it all makes good reading 😀🙄🤫

... banter, as well.

bon voyage

Just now, dkjretired said:

Some also lie just to create problems

LOL, is that not SOP for a few posters (mostly known) on such topics just to create 'movement' in their lives for the moment???

bon voyage

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

The only time I've been bothered by what someone was wearing was at a shared table for breakfast on a ship. A very nice gentleman was wearing one of those A-line undershirts that was well past its prime. The arm holes were super stretched out. Seeing his armpit hair while I was eating was less than pleasant, no matter how lovely the conversation was. When a hair fell onto his plate as he was reaching for the butter, I nearly gagged. He noticed it a minute or so later, and flicked it onto the table.

I definitely could have done without that experience. 

Photo included for reference. He was not built like the dude in the picture. 

image.png

Someone's exposed arm pit hair is NOT appreciated in any dining venue.

1 hour ago, peyeet said:

I feel the same way, we are in our early 30s and are about to take our first Celebrity cruise. We generally do not like to dress up, especially on vacation. I'll bring a few polos or buttons up for dinner and a pair of shoes, but other than that I do not plan on dressing to impress. Its evident from this thread that there are definitely some old timers who are deeply disturbed by people who don't tuck their shirts in or dress to their standards. 

• Like 4

And yes, I agree that it is so much more ‘fun’ to be posting about what to wear or more appropriately what can I get away with!  And isn’t it very telling that almost All the threads and posts on this subject are about us men! One reason is I think women have much more flexibility in their dress, and of course are more mature. My wife takes Chico’s travel ‘stuff’, adds a beaded top and jewelry and All is OK. Men? Use to be all we had options for was Tux or Coat and Tie. Now we have more choices, but continue to press on how ‘downward’ we can go. Yup, opinionated. 

Back when Coat and Tie were ‘the rule’, one guy posted that since he had to wear a coat/tie to work, he’d refused even though his wife asked him to. I couldn’t control myself and responded: So you’ll wear a coat/tie when paid but wont when your wife asks you? Got it.  

And yes, it isn’t just cruising. I live in a tourist beach area so we get lots of various ‘state of dress’ in our top line restaurants. Part of life. But my favorite was a young woman who was dressed To the Nines with a beautiflul long dress and a very neat Slit, and her date? He had on a bike-racing tight shorts, a tight top with a big racing stipe on it and his bike cap. A true statement of what he thought of his date. And no, they climbed into a car leaving so no riding a bike there……yup, I watched. She had time to dress up, but him? 

to me, it’s very telling when the woman is dressed up and the guy looks like he just finished playing around in his garage. We men Are able to step inside, change the t-shirt into a regular shirt and actually wear a decent pair of pants. And we men Do know what is appropriate.  

And yes, that is all judgmental. But I’ve heard more than a few golf-shirt guys make snide comments about men dressed to the T’s. 

I miss wearing my Tux. I loved sauntering up to a bar, pulling my bow tie undone (yup, tied it myself!) and ordering a Martini…..stirred not shaken. My wife would roll her eyes and just say: You Aren’t Bond, James Bond. I still wear a bow tie just for that. 

Enough. Fun Thread. 

Den

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, MBP1 said:

I feel the same way, we are in our early 30s and are about to take our first Celebrity cruise. We generally do not like to dress up, especially on vacation. I'll bring a few polos or buttons up for dinner and a pair of shoes, but other than that I do not plan on dressing to impress. Its evident from this thread that there are definitely some old timers who are deeply disturbed by people who don't tuck their shirts in or dress to their standards. 

I just don’t know how I’m going to sleep tonight, knowing that you don’t tuck in your shirt.  I might just have to call my therapist.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

I just don’t know how I’m going to sleep tonight, knowing that you don’t tuck in your shirt.  I might just have to call my therapist.

My therapist goes by Hendricks most of the time.  🙂

• Haha 3