continuing to test positive...

grest

I know of people who continue to test positive long after the 5 days from first positive test.    My husband is in that position and we sail in May.   Looking for experiences/information on what to do in this case., though we are hoping that he will test negative soon.    CDC says he should no longer be contagious, but what do we do?   Thank you....not looking for opinions but for information.

3 minutes ago, grest said:

I know of people who continue to test positive long after the 5 days from first positive test.    My husband is in that position and we sail in May.   Looking for experiences/information on what to do in this case., though we are hoping that he will test negative soon.    CDC says he should no longer be contagious, but what do we do?   Thank you....not looking for opinions but for information.

Celebrity will accept a Certificate of Recovery in lieu of a negative test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What test is he taking?  If its a PCR test, he can be positive for up to 3 months! If its a quick Antigen test, by day 10 he should be negative.  I know from personal experience.  In any case, a Certificate of Recovery issued by an MD is acceptable to Celebrity.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Are you sure of that? My last reading, a few days ago, said that they would NOT accept it in lieu of a negative test. Will post a link when my computer when my computer wakes up. Too hard on phone. 

6 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Are you sure of that? My last reading, a few days ago, said that they would NOT accept it in lieu of a negative test. Will post a link when my computer when my computer wakes up. Too hard on phone. 

From the Health & Safety FAQs:

For all sailings departing on or after March 18, 2022, Celebrity is now accepting a Certificate of Recovery. We will not accept a Certificate of Recovery in place of a vaccination record. All guests eligible to be vaccinated must also continue to show proof of full vaccination, with the final dose of their vaccine administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. 

A Certificate of Recovery, for a positive COVID-19 case at least 11 days before boarding but no more than 90 days prior to boarding, may be provided in lieu of a pre-cruise COVID-19 test result to board the ship, provided the Certificate meets the requirements below. Please be aware that some ports (listed below) will not permit guests to go ashore using a Certificate of Recovery.

A Certificate of Recovery must meet the following requirements:

• Be on official letterhead from a healthcare provider, public health official or telehealth provider showing:
    • The Provider’s name
    • The Provider’s address
    • The Provider’s phone number
    • Confirmation of your recovery and completion of isolation 
  • Be typed (not handwritten) and signed by the provider
  • Must confirm the sample collection date of the positive PCR test, which must be a minimum of 11 days and a maximum of 90 days before the departure date of your cruise
  • Date of validity must extend throughout the duration of your cruise
  • Include a positive result document for a COVID-19 PCR test taken a minimum of 11 days and a maximum of 90 days before the departure date of your cruise. An antigen test result will not be accepted with a Certificate of Recovery. The test results document from your test provider must include the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your positive result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Fully handwritten doctor’s notes (such as those written on a prescription pad) will not be accepted. Minimal handwritten components (such as a check mark on a “positive” box) are acceptable as long as the other required information is printed on the document.

The following ports are not currently accepting a Certificate of Recovery for debarkation:

• Curacao
  • St. Kitts
  • Panama
  • Panama Canal
  • Jamaica
  • Bonaire
  • St. Lucia
  • Guatemala
  • Colombia
  • Trinidad & Tobago
  • St. Vincent
  • the Grenadines
  • Grenada
  • Haiti
  • Cayman Islands
  • Bermuda
Edited by Mark_K
  • Like 1

I just tested negative on a rapid test yesterday and that was 16 days from symptom onset.  I was very congested and that just finally abated about 3 days ago.  I still have a lingering cough, but at least am now showing negative.

• Like 1

I tested positive on a PCR on 1/19/22, and was surprised to get a negative result with a follow-up test on 2/3/22.  We had a 2/26/22 sailing booked on Reflection so it was a relief to get the negative so quickly (I needed a negative result to return to work).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

Make sure you have BOTH the letter/certificate of recovery from your Dr ALONG WITH the documentation of the positive test.  This is important because it will be necessary when you return to the US via air (from International location) - if this doesn't apply to you then you can just do what Celebrity requires above. I just went through this in Mexico and had I just had the letter/certificate I would not have been able to board the plane.

hopefully this will all be over soon

4 hours ago, grest said:

The advice above is sound. I have some professional knowledge of Covid lab testing and I’m in something of the same boat as your husband.

First, is he repeatedly positive on Ag tests or on PCR?

Get some over the counter Ag tests at the drug store, and have him start testing weekly. If 2 consecutive Ag tests are negative, a pre -cruise Ag test will likely be neg. Don’t forget to resume masking and some self-isolation prior to cruising - you don’t want to get sick and you have to test negative!,

Call your PCP, speak to nurse or MA and explain what you need. Be prepared to pay for a repeat PCR and possibly an office or telehealth visit if he wasn’t seen for the initial Covid episode. Bring or fax to them copies of his initial or most recent positive result, the instructions for typing an official Cert of Recovery and any other medical records related to his episode of Covid that you may have. Most MDs are well versed in dictating letters similar to this, but you don’t want her to dash off a note on a scrip pad and sign it. Good luck.

I’m 9 days out from my initial Covid positive, and thankfully, I’ve been well for about 4 days. We fly and cruise from Amsterdam in mid-May. My plan is to start Covid testing with a home Ag test next Monday. If that’s negative, I’ll have a PCR at work the next Monday and go from there. I’m lucky in that I can get a PCR basically whenever I need one. I will start masking and self isolating 2 weeks out from fly date.

He is testing regularly.   Waiting for PCR results, but home tests continue to be positive.   Seeing doc next Friday.   Still has a cold, but getting better, no fever, no chills.   Fingers crossed, and thanks for the excellent information.

Could it be antibodies?

Dtr had Covid lite and 2 mo afterward needed unrelated day  surgery.  Hosp said do not bother with a test as she would likely test pos from antibodues..

Too many science issues , too many differing test results!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1