Covid Fiasco

Tedferg

We just completed Mexico Riviera on Majestic, April 2 - 9. Overall, a good cruise with one huge exception.

We were wife and me with daughter and 12-year-old granddaughter in next cabin. Last day of cruise daughter felt she had a slight cold, took a self-test for Covid and was positive. She informed Customer Service (CS) and was told she would be moved to a quarantine cabin. It took a long time but eventually she was moved. granddaughter was Negative and stayed in her cabin. Absolutely no further contact from Princess to daughter, granddaughter or us regarding a minor alone in a cabin. wife and I took care of granddaughter, but Princess did not know this. We, wife, me, granddaughter walked off for Disembark - no contact from Princess about granddaughter! daughter was held in quarantine with no contact about granddaughter or her own Disembarkation process. Customer Service never answered daughter phone calls!

I went to CS and asked for clarification of process. I was told daughter had two options, Princess would transport her to hotel for five day quarantine, or she could self-drive home. I asked how she would get to Rental Car to drive home, her preferred option. CS said they could assist with delivery of car to the pier. The 'assistance' was that they dialed Enterprise and gave me the phone!

Daughter wanted to do another test just in case it was a false positive, she just had a headache. Princess said 'No, there is no point after a positive test'. I asked CS if they had any test kits and was told Princess would provide a free test at the pier, prior to travel. Pier side Princess employees knew nothing about this.

Customer Service said daughter would be disembarked separately, but no information about where, when or how. Princess had no contact with 12-year-old granddaughter!!!!

At the pier Princess told us Quarantine passengers would be released outside the main baggage terminal. Daughter sat in cabin - no answer from phone call to CS, no information. Eventually they called daughter and disembarked her. Princess was going to transport her to the quarantine hotel and then she could make her own arrangements for car rental. Daughter stopped the car, got out and took a cab to car rental. Where is granddaughter during all of this???? Fortunately, with Grand Parents, but Princess did not know this. No contact from Princess to us or granddaughter!

We changed our homeward flights and stayed with granddaughter until she was boarded and flew home alone to be picked up at the airport. Daughter rented a car an drove home with very slight symptoms. Wife, Granddaughter and I all tested negative after we arrived home.

Extremely disappointed in how Princess handled this - I thought it would be a top priority for them as they resume cruising.

Edited by Tedferg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Horrible treatment of positive passengers and travel companions.  Not at all like they put in print.

I would have TOLD customer relations that there was a Minor in a cabin alone.

and escalated the situation until they acknowledged that Princess was responsible for her!

Edited by dog
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, dog said:

Horrible treatment of positive passengers and travel companions.  Not at all like they put in print.

I would have TOLD customer relations that there was a Minor in a cabin alone.

and escalated the situation until they acknowledged that Princess was responsible for her!

so granddaughter could go with the infected mom - EXCELLENT !!  that way the Grandparents would not have been exposed to a negative tested ... ... ... 

delete if violating covid discussion policy. PLEASE

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

so granddaughter could go with the infected mom - EXCELLENT !!  that way the Grandparents would not have been exposed to a negative tested ... ... ... 

delete if violating covid discussion policy. PLEASE

Not sure how you get that from my post.

There should be some discussion with the family members on how the situation with a minor is handled. Seems to have been overlooked.

I am not on cc to bicker with others.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

We just completed Mexico Riviera on Majestic, April 2 - 9. Overall, a good cruise with one huge exception.

Hope this version sticks on CC as it is important we hear from guests with first-hand experiences.  I also hope you will be sharing the story with Princess Customer Relations and any other mgmt member.  It's too bad there is no way to contact the Captain now.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, dog said:

Not sure how you get that from my post.

There should be some discussion with the family members on how the situation with a minor is handled. Seems to have been overlooked.

I am not on cc to bicker with others.

True, there should have been some discussion.  Did PSD know they were a traveling family group because reservations were linked?  Did daughter mention to medical or PSD personnel about her daughter - say when she called them about being positive or when arranging a move?  Not to take issue with the OP, but we don't know what Princess personnel were thinking or assuming, nor what they knew or didn't know.

It does make we wonder what would have happened in the same situation, minus the grandparents.  Presumably the single parent of the minor would indicate to Princess both were moving to quarantine cabin.  The only way the child was left on her own was because there were responsible family adults remaining on "the outside".  Not trying to excuse ship staff in all this - we just don't have their side of the story.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

What is it you wanted Princess to do? Had grandparents not been cruising presumably your daughter would have needed to take granddaughter into the quarantine cabin with her, so as it worked out she was better off not needing to do that?

Why hadn't you taken some of your own LFTs with you so you test as and when you wanted?

Your daughter was positive but she took a cab to car rental putting the cab driver, and then the car rental staff at risk?

I agree this is a mess of a situation but it is a two way mess.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Hope this version sticks on CC as it is important we hear from guests with first-hand experiences.  I also hope you will be sharing the story with Princess Customer Relations and any other mgmt member.  It's too bad there is no way to contact the Captain 

Just now, Lady Arwen said:
8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Hope this version sticks on CC as it is important we hear from guests with first-hand experiences.  I also hope you will be sharing the story with Princess Customer Relations and any other mgmt member.  It's too bad there is no way to contact the Captain 

Sorry  I replied to the wrong post

3 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

Your daughter was positive but she took a cab to car rental putting the cab driver, and then the car rental staff at risk?

The OP mentioned Princess would have them bring the car to the ship.  Seems like that got lost in translation somewhere as pier personnel seemed to want to send her to a hotel.  That was by taxi.  Seems to me doesn't matter whether taxi is taking a guest to a hotel or car rental location - both involve the taxi driver and both involve reception personnel to check-in and process the guest.  Pick your poison - if you see it that way.

• Like 4

4 of my family just finished a cruise. 1 adult tested positive and was sent to quarantine. The 3 others were negative but had to stay in their room until disembarkment. All 4 took a taxi to their car and returned home. Positive one went to quarantine in basement 14 days, kids no school for 14 days, wife back to work the next day at a hospital with daily testing.  I think it was all very fair. Only the one tested positive so far. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Absolutely no further contact from Princess to daughter, granddaughter or us regarding a minor alone in a cabin. wife and I took care of granddaughter, but Princess did not know this.

Were your bookings linked when you reserved these rooms?  Were any of you listed as each others emergency contacts?  Did you have each other as travel companions in the MC app?  Were you listed as contacts in the kids club?  Did your room steward know you were a family in 2 rooms?  Any one of these things would have made Princess aware that your granddaughter had supervision.  I agree that communication was lacking but lets not assume they left your granddaughter to fend for herself.

• Like 6

Wouldn’t it make sense that if there were no grandparents to watch the granddaughter the mother wouldn’t have left the granddaughter. Obviously someone said they’d keep an eye on her, etc. I don’t think that was an issue at all…..

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Motorcyclemomma said:

4 of my family just finished a cruise. 1 adult tested positive and was sent to quarantine. The 3 others were negative but had to stay in their room until disembarkment. All 4 took a taxi to their car and returned home. Positive one went to quarantine in basement 14 days, kids no school for 14 days, wife back to work the next day at a hospital with daily testing.  I think it was all very fair. Only the one tested positive so far. 

14 day quarantines?  What country do you live in? 

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Hope this version sticks on CC as it is important we hear from guests with first-hand.  I also hope you will be sharing the story with Princess Customer Relations and any other mgmt member.  It's too bad there is no way to contact the Captain now.

I agree with you 100%.  Some may not like or agree with all posts, but we need to hear them.  It may be us and at least we have an idea of what may happen and can nip it early if possible.  

Appreciate the honestly of the poster.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

I agree with you 100%.  Some may not like or agree with all posts, but we need to hear them.  It may be us and at least we have an idea of what may happen and can nip it early if possible.  

Appreciate the honestly of the poster.

Absolutely.

communication, inconsistency keeps coming up on these threads.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

Ontario,Canada by their signature 

the husband went to the man cave for 14 uninterrupted days in the basement...

the kids ditched school for 2 weeks 

the wife left them all during the day and got to go back to work !!

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

the husband went to the man cave for 14 uninterrupted days in the basement...

the kids ditched school for 2 weeks 

the wife left them all during the day and got to go back to work !!

Maybe customs told them it was required if they returned in a flight out of country. Those returning by car at border, no longer need to be tested to return from international travel.

22 minutes ago, dog said:

Absolutely.

communication, inconsistency keeps coming up on these threads.

So what is the learning experience for all of us?  Come prepared to keep in communications with each other if you have a traveling member who test positive.  Come prepared to ask questions and be proactive on your own behalf.  

The member in the quarantine cabin can still make phone calls to others on board on cabin phone or cell I would assume.  Keep communications going with those in your traveling party. Use others in your party to get clear information and support necessary arrangements.   

This is what I take away from this story.  Could Princess do more, maybe, I am too independent to simply rely on Princess.  Think about "what if" before you board and have a plan you have discussed among those in your travel party ahead of time.  Nothing goes as planned but having some sort of plan may be useful.  

• Like 6