Cruisers: Please do NOT use MedallionPay

haolenate

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

From what I have been reading about Medallion I'm afraid to use it to open the cabin door. It's one thing to use it on the ship to pay but I can't imagine using it in port. It's just as easy to use Apple Pay. I can select which card I want to use as opposed to the one card linked with Princess. I can't imagine it to be a secure form of payment outside the ship. Why involve a 3rd party just to buy a tee shirt. For the record I have also read horror stories about passengers trying to get a refund or exchange for something damaged through the Princess vendor product guarantee. I'll take my chances and shop where I want. We don't buy watches or Jewelry unless we are home.

Why are you afraid to use the Medallion to open (actually unlock) your cabin door? You don't say why in your post. Your only other alternative is a cruise card which has a similar proximity capability.

If I were a vendor, I would pass on this program.  I doubt it adds enough business to pay for the 18% fee.  

I have a wallet full of credit cards that offer benefits for me using them.  I’ve reached a point in life where buying things doesn’t bring much pleasure.  I prefer to spend my money buying experiences.  That’s why I’m cruising.  My on-shore purchases are limited to food, drink and the odd t-shirt.

• Like 11

53 minutes ago, 6burghcruiser said:

I won’t use it. I don’t see how to decline. I just haven’t completed it on my check in. But now my check in says it’s incomplete. 

Just found this thread after I posted my question.  Same as you.

On 4/16/2022 at 10:32 PM, brisalta said:

Actually you set up the ability to purchase items onshore via the Medallion in the Medallion App, MedallionPay.  You are required to provide a credit card in MedallionPay for on board use but the defaut behavior is to also make it available for onshore use via the Medallion. You have to explicitly go into the onshore section of MedallionPay and delete the reference to the credit card there if you do not want it available onshore via the Medallion.

Going to try to delete onshore credit card.

tried and couldn’t delete it on new app.

i kept the old app and I’m in the green lane and only have credit card listed for on-board.

Edited by dog

On 1/6/2024 at 12:22 PM, BamaVol said:

I have a wallet full of credit cards that offer benefits for me using them.  I’ve reached a point in life where buying things doesn’t bring much pleasure.  I prefer to spend my money buying experiences.  That’s why I’m cruising.  My on-shore purchases are limited to food, drink and the odd t-shirt.

That's me. I have a CC that I use for everything that gets me points towards free air travel. No need for souvenirs or overpriced, sparkly trinkets. 

• Like 4

On 1/6/2024 at 12:08 PM, beg3yrs said:

Why are you afraid to use the Medallion to open (actually unlock) your cabin door? You don't say why in your post. Your only other alternative is a cruise card which has a similar proximity capability.

I'm not afraid as I have used a similar system on Royal Caribbean and it worked fine for opening doors and payments. However, I have heard so many negative comments on this site as well as on other social media sites that it has not been perfected yet. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I'm not afraid as I have used a similar system on Royal Caribbean and it worked fine for opening doors and payments. However, I have heard so many negative comments on this site as well as on other social media sites that it has not been perfected yet. 

The medallion works fine.  It’s the software that sucks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

We just did 63 days on Grand Princess. Both the Medallion and the App worked perfectly onboard. There is absolutely zero reason for angst. As for the shoreside charges... I see that both the old app and the new app have automagically populated the field with the same credit card I entered for shipboard charges. Not really a problem as I will simply not use the Medallion for any purchases on shore. Problem solved. There are a lot of people stressing over this stuff with absolutely no reason for the stress.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2022 at 2:09 PM, FlaMariner said:

LOL at the business case for Medallion........

"and we will offer a program that will charge the merchant 17% of the purchase price"

"and with the medallion people will order more drinks"

"and we can have less staff because guests can just text us their requests"

"and we can offer gambling on it"

"and we can sell jewelry and accessories to go with the medallion"

"and we can be more efficient operating the MDR". LOL, my favorite. 

"and we can sell pizza and other food items that are free if the guests fetches but we charge if we fetch"

And on and on...what a disaster but this 17% is over the top!

And we all need to remember that the "Medallion" system is a copy of what Disney uses at its theme parks and works well for land-based operations.  Princess has tens of millions of dollars invested in its Medallion system fostered by Padgett and has yet shown any kind of positive return on investment.  In addition to most passengers hating it, it has failed to sell more drinks or merchandise on board.  Adding the ability to use it ashore for the horrendous premium of 18 percent only exacerbates its uselessness to passengers.  Its past time to send the Medallion system into the dustbin of history of solutions seeking a problem and bring back the key card which so easy to use and carry, and also send Padgett to that dustbin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/6/2024 at 12:22 PM, BamaVol said:

If I were a vendor, I would pass on this program.  I doubt it adds enough business to pay for the 18% fee.  

My wallet is RFID protected.  The Medallion is NOT!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

My wallet is RFID protected.  The Medallion is NOT!

Rule #1 Don’t sweat the small stuff. 

Rule #2 It’s all small stuff. 

My banks have been good about catching fraud before I’m even aware of it. It’s never cost me a cent and any aggravation has been minimal. Anything over $50 is the bank’s loss so they’re much more concerned than I am. I focus on enjoying life, not worrying about low probability problems. 

• Like 6

The new Medallion Princess app would not give us a green lane for check-in without providing a credit card also for shoreside purchases.  I'm not very trusting not knowing how a 3rd or 4th party is handling my credit card, but entered that info anyway. Probably just wouldn't use it. But, question whether it's charged in the U.S. or the foreign country where the purchase is made. That, since the foreign purchase would have additional fees for some credit cards. Anyone out there with this experience?

I started following this thread *way* back when it first started...and to be honest was simply going to pass on any comment.  I've since basically ignored it. but after seeing the thread grow as much as it has I thought I might weigh in.

I'm probably going to mention a couple of points that will be somewhat unpopular.  So be it.  It's just an opinion and may very well not even be worth the proverbial 2 cents!

1) The beginning of the thread somewhat focused on the exorbitant rates that Princess charges the on-shore vendors to participate...as if it is being forced upon them or is a complete surprise.  This simply is not true.  These vendors know *exactly* what they're signing up for.  Sure, it might be a bit of a hit to the bottom line of their sale...but they know this going in.

2) Choosing not to participate may very well be depriving said merchant of revenue from a sale.  Consider this (and it's not such a crazy scenario given all of the "sky is falling" warnings about what you should or should not take on shore with you.)  There may very well be someone who has become *so* paranoid about what to take that they may take perhaps $10 in cash and leave their credit cards in the safe.  After all, we've all read the bad stories about travelers who have either lost their bags, wallet, valuables...whatever on shore to unscrupulous people, so they opt to take practically nothing with them.  (It's possible...admit it.)  Then, once on shore they find that absolutely wonderful, "gotta have it" souvenir for their neighbor (or whoever...)  Well, the only thing they have in their pocket that *might* make the sale a possibility...is their medallion!  They are faced with a choice...do I use the medallion to pay for this item...or pass on the sale altogether, depriving the merchant of *any* revenue at all (even though it is a reduced revenue?)  I can't help but feel that if the merchant were asked...he/she would *gladly* accept the medallion sale.  After all, some revenue is better than none!

On a personal note...no, I would never opt to make a sale using such a system.  That's both mine and your personal right to choose.

The bottom line...if the merchant *wants* to be included in such an arrangement, who are we to say that they should not because "we don't think it's right?"

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I started following this thread *way* back when it first started...and to be honest was simply going to pass on any comment.  I've since basically ignored it. but after seeing the thread grow as much as it has I thought I might weigh in.

I'm probably going to mention a couple of points that will be somewhat unpopular.  So be it.  It's just an opinion and may very well not even be worth the proverbial 2 cents!

1) The beginning of the thread somewhat focused on the exorbitant rates that Princess charges the on-shore vendors to participate...as if it is being forced upon them or is a complete surprise.  This simply is not true.  These vendors know *exactly* what they're signing up for.  Sure, it might be a bit of a hit to the bottom line of their sale...but they know this going in.

2) Choosing not to participate may very well be depriving said merchant of revenue from a sale.  Consider this (and it's not such a crazy scenario given all of the "sky is falling" warnings about what you should or should not take on shore with you.)  There may very well be someone who has become *so* paranoid about what to take that they may take perhaps $10 in cash and leave their credit cards in the safe.  After all, we've all read the bad stories about travelers who have either lost their bags, wallet, valuables...whatever on shore to unscrupulous people, so they opt to take practically nothing with them.  (It's possible...admit it.)  Then, once on shore they find that absolutely wonderful, "gotta have it" souvenir for their neighbor (or whoever...)  Well, the only thing they have in their pocket that *might* make the sale a possibility...is their medallion!  They are faced with a choice...do I use the medallion to pay for this item...or pass on the sale altogether, depriving the merchant of *any* revenue at all (even though it is a reduced revenue?)  I can't help but feel that if the merchant were asked...he/she would *gladly* accept the medallion sale.  After all, some revenue is better than none!

On a personal note...no, I would never opt to make a sale using such a system.  That's both mine and your personal right to choose.

The bottom line...if the merchant *wants* to be included in such an arrangement, who are we to say that they should not because "we don't think it's right?"

I hear what you are saying. But, my issue is Princess won't let you have the "Green Lane" for Ocean Ready to complete your check-in unless you supply credit card for BOTH on board and shoreside. purchases(listed separately). I've never had the issue with on-board but didn't want that 3rd party having my credit card information just in case I wanted to use the Medallion to make a shoreside purchase(which I would't do).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Willwils said:

I hear what you are saying. But, my issue is Princess won't let you have the "Green Lane" for Ocean Ready to complete your check-in unless you supply credit card for BOTH on board and shoreside. purchases(listed separately). I've never had the issue with on-board but didn't want that 3rd party having my credit card information just in case I wanted to use the Medallion to make a shoreside purchase(which I would't do).

Not true...just use the "old" app.  I will not supply that info for the same reason as you give...but then in reality how is it any different from giving Princess your CC info for the cruise itself?  It's all being "handled" by the same people.  Your info does NOT go to any shoreside locations (other than Princess.)  Princess is doing all of the "middleman" work, so there is no need for your info to go any further than a different Princess system.  You *really are not increasing your risk factor by supplying it.  The firm most often mentioned as getting that info is Radiqal (I think I spelled it right...IDK) and they are "getting" it anyway since they were the firm behind the old app.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Not true...just use the "old" app.  I will not supply that info for the same reason as you give...but then in reality how is it any different from giving Princess your CC info for the cruise itself?  It's all being "handled" by the same people.  Your info does NOT go to any shoreside locations (other than Princess.)  Princess is doing all of the "middleman" work, so there is no need for your info to go any further than a different Princess system.  You *really are not increasing your risk factor by supplying it.  The firm most often mentioned as getting that info is Radiqal (I think I spelled it right...IDK) and they are "getting" it anyway since they were the firm behind the old app.

Oh my, thanks for the reply..

On 1/6/2024 at 8:52 AM, skynight said:

Basically the medallion is the only way you can purchase items, food & drink, and services on board.

If you trade in the Medallion for a cruise card, that also works for any purchase. 

On 1/6/2024 at 12:08 PM, beg3yrs said:

Except that you'll have to remove the card from your pocket & hold it next to the monitor to unlock the door each time. It's not very convenient if your hands are full.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 4:14 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

I am hoping my old app is still available for boarding the Regal Feb18/24.

After my recent refund experience with Princess refunding a portion of my purchase to a credit card which wasn’t used for the purchase etc. I definitely won’t be using this offshore option. Agree, vendors have an option to opt out/ in and passengers should have that option as they had in the old app.

• Like 1

my last cruise in April, 2023 was the first time with the Medallion.  I was somewhat apprehensive at first

( I was under the impression it was like a tracking device).  I actually came around and enjoyed using it.  I really enjoyed walking down the long hallway, and finding my cabin by the green light when in close proximity ( I ALWAYS forget my cabin number).  I didn't make any purchases off ship, so the charging of things while in port was not an issue.  I tied the lanyard around my belt loop, stuck the medallion in my pocket.  If a bar tender ( or someone) needed to see it, I would bring it out like a pocket watch.  Dont know about the " New Medallion App" yet, My next Princess cruise isn't until 4/2025

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 6:32 PM, Thrak said:

I think Princess is really hoping to cash in from the Diamonds International purchases. Personally, I declined to sign up to use Medallion Pay on shore. I've read a post where someone else who also declined to enter that information in the Medallion App was told by the onshore vendor that it didn't matter if he had signed up for it or not and he was able to use the "service".

Thanks for the information regarding the (ridiculous) charges to the vendors. I figured there would be a "catch" but didn't realize it would be that big of a financial hit. It makes no sense to me that a vendor would want to pay that unless they are hoping for a vastly increased amount of sales.

How did you decline to sign up for the onshore credit card on the app. I do not want it, but there is no place to opt out

47 minutes ago, shiner6 said:

How did you decline to sign up for the onshore credit card on the app. I do not want it, but there is no place to opt out

I just checked and see the option to "delete card".

• Like 3

On 1/10/2024 at 4:07 PM, Willwils said:

I hear what you are saying. But, my issue is Princess won't let you have the "Green Lane" for Ocean Ready to complete your check-in unless you supply credit card for BOTH on board and shoreside. purchases(listed separately). I've never had the issue with on-board but didn't want that 3rd party having my credit card information just in case I wanted to use the Medallion to make a shoreside purchase(which I wouldn't do).

As of today, there are multiple posts about how to get your Medallion and not be concerned about what the new App is doing.

• Like 1