Hotel recommendation Athens and Venice please

Piaa

I have searched for hotels in Athens and Venice but either I am searching incorrectly or there is a whole other page dedicated to this topic that I can't find (forgive me if this is the case) but does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel pre cruise in Athens and post cruise in Venice.

Thank you so much for any help.

Piaa

We stayed at a Marriott Autograph hotel in Venice for 5-days and really enjoyed the location…in Venice, but away from the crowds and their boat could whisk you to other destinations. A former French Embassy. Not ideal if you don’t like walking or older architecture. I see it is no longer a Marriott https://www.nh-hotels.com/hotel/nh-collection-venezia-grand-hotel-palazzo-dei-dogi?utm_campaign=local-gmb&utm_medium=organic_search&utm_source=google_gmb

We stayed at the Grande Bretagne in Athens and also enjoyed its history and location….very nice spa. https://grande-bretagne-hotel.athens-greecehotels.com/en/

Hotel Papadopoli in Venice is walking distance from the station. A porter took us there is a couple of minutes. Found it convenient.

Electra Palace in Athens was perfect location 

Plenty of hotels on both cities at all prices.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Piaa said:

I have searched for hotels in Athens and Venice but either I am searching incorrectly or there is a whole other page dedicated to this topic that I can't find (forgive me if this is the case) but does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel pre cruise in Athens and post cruise in Venice.

What are your priorities for a hotel?  Location? Size? Service? Cost? View?

As an example, we like the Hotel Wildner in Venice, but it's a small place with no room service, minimal lobby, no elevator etc.  It does have great location, great views, and friendly service.  We enjoy sitting over our breakfast on the front terrace relaxing while watching all the tour groups and day-trippers hustling by trying to "see" Venice in a day.  It's not cheap, but it's much less expensive than the top name "Hotel Danielli" a few yards away.  If you don't mind spending the money, the Danielli or Londra Palace, or ... will have a lot more to offer.

Edited by curmudgeon98
add a bit

Baglioni Hotel Luna in Venice near Piazza San Marco. 
I understand that cruise ships are not stopping in Venice anymore, so the proximity to the port is not important ? In that case I would recommend Hotel Luna Baglioni. Otherwise I would take Hotel Papadopoli near the Bus Terminal.

Ivi

We’ve booked rooms at the Athenian Foss pre cruise for Onward on May 28th.  Haven’t stayed there before but based on research it is a small newer hotel with excellent service and great location/price. ( We also like that there is a Greek restaurant on the first floor. 🙃)

• Like 1

Athens - St George Lycabbetus (good value). King George (next to the Grande Betagne. Very nice but a different price point). 

Venice - Antiche Figure (lovely hotel in good spot, but it's become expensive like a lot of Venice hotels). Try to TripAdvisor search them and look on the ports of call board too. Looks like the Antiche might be number 1 which explains the price. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Athens - St George Lycabbetus (good value). King George (next to the Grande Betagne. Very nice but a different price point). 

Venice - Antiche Figure (lovely hotel in good spot, but it's become expensive like a lot of Venice hotels). Try to TripAdvisor search them and look on the ports of call board too. Looks like the Antiche might be number 1 which explains the price. 

Phil 

At one time Antiche Figure in Venice was used by Azamara as a pre cruise/post cruise hotel. We have stayed their twice.

We also enjoyed the King George in Athens. You get a ringside view if demonstrators are  marching to the Parliament buildings.

27 minutes ago, nordski said:

We also enjoyed the King George in Athens. You get a ringside view if demonstrators are  marching to the Parliament buildings.

Lovely rooftop restaurant with great views of the Parthenon too. You get that with Lycabettus, it's just further away and not in such a nice area of the city. 

Phil 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, italyforme said:

We’ve booked rooms at the Athenian Foss pre cruise for Onward on May 28th.  Haven’t stayed there before but based on research it is a small newer hotel with excellent service and great location/price. ( We also like that there is a Greek restaurant on the first floor. 🙃)

Have a great time - we are on the Onward in August 🙂

Love Antiche Figure,  have stayed there twice and their sister hotel Canal Grande which was also lovely. Probably wont be needing it in the short term now with the changes to Ravenna but hopefully one day again. 🤞🙏

• Like 1

5 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

We stayed at the Antiche - https://www.hotelantichefigure.it/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0umSBhDrARIsAH7FCoeh9s2y3Gk-pwK-PUWi1-J0jMWJIM8hnXiNg91ZaYG0_pnjZtZovnUaAsUmEALw_wcB - which was a lovely place.  Not centrally located but steps from a boat stop that will take you anyplace in Venice.

DON

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 2:44 PM, Jeep61 said:

I second the Electra Palace - great location and some wonderful views from the roof top terrace or from some rooms.  We stayed there for a week in 2013.  

We have stayed there three times and loved the location. Nice rooftop restaurant. This year we couldn’t get reservations so we are trying the Grand Bretagne. 

On 4/16/2022 at 2:49 PM, nordski said:

At one time Antiche Figure in Venice was used by Azamara as a pre cruise/post cruise hotel. We have stayed their twice.

Another vote for King George. 
I had to chuckle at the “ringside view of demonstrators”-  we had that on embarkation day- taxis could not get to the hotel- head bellman arranged to meet a taxi 2 blocks away toting all our luggage for us- very grateful!  

( We will be staying there again for October cruise)

15 minutes ago, floridafolks said:

Another vote for King George. 
I had to chuckle at the “ringside view of demonstrators”-  we had that on embarkation day- taxis could not get to the hotel- head bellman arranged to meet a taxi 2 blocks away toting all our luggage for us- very grateful!  

( We will be staying there again for October cruise)

Great location, we stayed at Grande Bretagne and I believe they are connected. Grande Bretagne has a great spa, bar area, and rooftop breakfast.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, harrodsfan said:

We have stayed there three times and loved the location. Nice rooftop restaurant. This year we couldn’t get reservations so we are trying the Grand Bretagne. 

You will be impressed with Grand Bretagne too!

• Like 1