Italy cruises testing

Susanb10567

I presume one day before means anytime on the day before and not 24 hours from sailing?

Also is anyone going to use a recovery from covid certificate instead of test as per Celebrity's website ? We got covid in Feb and our NHS on line covid record shows we had a positive test and recovered with a QR code. The website is showing the positive test can be up to 180 days old. 

We're going to still have the test as it's a bit vague about some ports not accepting certs of recovery

Screenshot_20220421-095802_Chrome.thumb.jpg.def0f05a1cadc0dbc5d92f8e7d6da05a.jpg

Edited by sgmn

19 hours ago, C-Ya said:

For the sake of discussion……. If you were to test positive at the end of your cruise, how does the quarantine hotel work? Does the cruise line, local authorities, or YOU, pick the location of hotel? Can somebody give any details of that type of situation? Costs, food, testing, etc? Maybe somebody has first hand experience of this situation?

I believe the answer is that it's all on you at that point.  Because of the post-cruise positive test, you can't fly (to the US, at least) but I don't believe Italy is going to isolate you.  So you have to find a hotel, get food, make new travel arrangements, etc.  Honestly, I hope my understanding is wrong, because it's a lot of risk to take on.  Travel insurance might help to cover the costs (maybe) but you'd still have to figure it out in a foreign country on the fly.

On 4/20/2022 at 12:36 PM, Virginia100 said:

I have my hotel in the Rome port contacting a local pharmacy on the Monday of my departure day 8/8, since as noted above the day before is Sunday. The request for appointment  was made  a week ago today but so far no confirmation to the hotel. Is Italy so slow?

No  Italy is not slow. I emailed my hotel for test help yesterday 9.40 am. Full reply with help and suggestions received lunchtime and by 4.00 my booked tests were confirmed.  

I'd chase your hotel again.

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

No  Italy is not slow. I emailed my hotel for test help yesterday 9.40 am. Full reply with help and suggestions received lunchtime and by 4.00 my booked tests were confirmed.  

Thanks, I did last evening and so far today no response snd usually they respond quite quickly. It’s the San Giorgio in the port.

Edited by Virginia100

15 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

We will be on the Edge sailing from Civitavecchia on 28 May.  Our hotel near the port has arranged tests for us at a local medical office for the afternoon before our embarkation.

Can you provide the hotel information?  Thanks.

1 hour ago, rlgtan said:

Can you provide the hotel information?  Thanks.

As noted above by @Virginia100 it's the Hotel San Giorgio, sangiorgiohotelcivitavecchia dot com.

They offer shuttle service to the ship at a reasonable price.  The hotel is near a laundromat and a couple of different pharmacies that offer COVID-19 tests.  Some of the rooms have great views of the sea and there are several nice restaurants within walking distance.  The hotel is just a couple of blocks down the street from the main Civitavecchia railway station.  You can use your favorite online map software to locate it.

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Beg to differ, slow by nature, that comes from someone half Italian! Anyhow, have our tests booked for 8am at the Pharmacy I mentioned.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:20 AM, TFree said:

If I were doing this, I think I would still fly in a day early.  I would do a proctored antigen test before flying (which I assume is required anyway), and do another proctored antigen test at your hotel in Rome the day before.  For the cost of $33-35 for each proctored test, this would be worth it to me in not having to deal with the anxiety of finding a testing location in Rome.  Now if PCR is required, that would change things.  But with all the flight cancellations and delays recently, I would not want to fly in the day of a cruise starting half way around the world.

Tom & Judy

From what I see on the Celebrity website, it just mentions ‘Antigen test’, there is no mention (that I’ve found) of ‘proctored’. So why can’t we just do own own Rapid Antigen Test and take it along when we embark?  Yeah, I know, sounds too easy. 

Just discovered that a hospital in Civitavecchia is open all day Sunday for testing. Most of this information is in English:

https://www.faiuntestevai.it/en/covid-test/lazio/roma/11844

so can anyone confirm we only need a Rapid Antigen Test (RAT), as offered on this site, if we’re considered ‘up to date’ by Celebrity?

49 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

From what I see on the Celebrity website, it just mentions ‘Antigen test’, there is no mention (that I’ve found) of ‘proctored’. So why can’t we just do own own Rapid Antigen Test and take it along when we embark?  Yeah, I know, sounds too easy. 

From the Celebrity FAQs.  So maybe a better word to use would have been "supervised."

Tom & Judy

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests and we accept either one: 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test
  • The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth representative.
  • You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes provider name, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Handwritten doctor’s notes will not be accepted.
  • Telehealth testing at home is only accepted when it meets certain guidelines. See below.

Tests We Do Not Accept

• Antibody tests are not accepted, as they do not detect a current infection.
  • Home test kits that are self-administered at home, and not supervised live by a telehealth professional, are also not accepted.

Thank you Tom and Judy.

I emailed our TA, who embarked on Oceania in Civitavecchia about five days ago.  She said:

"Oceania was a bit the same until about 2 weeks prior when got a document that clearly had two columns

Travelling from USA had to do the 24hr thing

Travelling from other countries had 72hr thing"

Make of that what you will.  There's still plenty of time for the Celebrity requirements to change for us for our June cruise.

16 hours ago, B x said:

Beg to differ, slow by nature, that comes from someone half Italian! Anyhow, have our tests booked for 8am at the Pharmacy I mentioned.

I did earlier in this thread.

20 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

As noted above by @Virginia100 it's the Hotel San Giorgio, sangiorgiohotelcivitavecchia dot com.

They offer shuttle service to the ship at a reasonable price.  The hotel is near a laundromat and a couple of different pharmacies that offer COVID-19 tests.  Some of the rooms have great views of the sea and there are several nice restaurants within walking distance.  The hotel is just a couple of blocks down the street from the main Civitavecchia railway station.  You can use your favorite online map software to locate it.

I’m staying at the San Giorgio also before my cruise on 8/8 (on 8/7). The hotel contacted their pharmacy there for a  Covid test appointment for both of us for the morning of 8/8 over a week ago now and no appointment yet confirmed. My last email on this issue 2 days ago is now unanswered. May I ask who at the hotel was your contact?  I’m not getting much action. Thanks. 

7 hours ago, Virginia100 said:

I’m staying at the San Giorgio also before my cruise on 8/8 (on 8/7). The hotel contacted their pharmacy there for a  Covid test appointment for both of us for the morning of 8/8 over a week ago now and no appointment yet confirmed. My last email on this issue 2 days ago is now unanswered. May I ask who at the hotel was your contact?  I’m not getting much action. Thanks. 

Our email was from Alessandro Maramici at the hotel.  At this point the hotel is waiting for us to pick a time and date for the test, then they say they will send a request to the medical center.  We had specifically asked about a pharmacy that we knew of near the hotel, but their response only mentioned a "medical center." 

11 hours ago, B x said:

I did earlier in this thread, page 2 I think

Thanks, found it.  Unfortunately, after checking out their web site  it seems like they only provide drive-through service.  We will not have a car, and our hotel is about a mile away, so we will try one of the pharmacies closer to our hotel.  Thanks for the info.

I can't believe that they changed it from 2 days to 1 day for Rome, so glad I've been checking things here at CruiseCritic.  I guess I have to do it at my Rome hotel the night before--I will use my cell phone data--that should be better than hoping the wifi works, I hope.  I'm flying in the morning of the 27th for a cruise on May 28--was planning to just the test before I left on the 26th.  This seems like a pretty drastic change from Celebrity.

1 hour ago, Random Cruizer said:

I can't believe that they changed it from 2 days to 1 day for Rome, so glad I've been checking things here at CruiseCritic.  I guess I have to do it at my Rome hotel the night before--I will use my cell phone data--that should be better than hoping the wifi works, I hope.  I'm flying in the morning of the 27th for a cruise on May 28--was planning to just the test before I left on the 26th.  This seems like a pretty drastic change from Celebrity.

When Celebrity announced the protocols for Europe almost 2 weeks ago, Spain and Italy were both 1 day. Spain has since changed to 2. 🤞🏻 that Italy does as well once they announce their new protocols May 1. We will test before we leave the US and then again as soon as we land in Rome……but would rather not

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

When Celebrity announced the protocols for Europe almost 2 weeks ago, Spain and Italy were both 1 day. Spain has since changed to 2. 🤞🏻 that Italy does as well once they announce their new protocols May 1. We will test before we leave the US and then again as soon as we land in Rome……but would rather not

That's good news, thanks!  Fingers crossed for me, too!

On 4/20/2022 at 8:35 AM, C-Ya said:

For the sake of discussion……. If you were to test positive at the end of your cruise, how does the quarantine hotel work? Does the cruise line, local authorities, or YOU, pick the location of hotel? Can somebody give any details of that type of situation? Costs, food, testing, etc? Maybe somebody has first hand experience of this situation?

Great question.  I did note that Celebrity offers to cover some on land hotel and flights if you test positive ON the cruise. I also note that testing at the port afterwards is at disembarkation (AFTER cruise) so for this reason we are choosing to test the day before in Naples.

M