Italy cruises testing

Susanb10567

Is Italy really the only European country requiring a 1 day test to board. I looked at the other ports and they are 2 days. I find that surprising and wondering if it could of been an error. I really would like to take my boarding test before flying from NYC to Rome. I know things are constantly changing so I guess I will just have to hope and wait.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am a little confused by this too. Is it Italy that has made this ruling, or Celebrity?

As you say, to sail from the UK, Spain or Amsterdam there's a two day testing window. I am cruising from Rome on 2nd May and was originally sent an email to say test within 2 days. I booked my test, only for this rule to be changed to 1 day and I have to work out the testing again for the day I travel. I have not yet booked it just in case it gets changed again. It would definitely be better to be able to test before leaving your home country if possible - just in case.

We have an appt in morning for COVID test. Then board plane later that day on 11 hour flight from MIA to Rome. Then land and head for port with approx 3 hours to spare. We wish it wasn’t a 1day test also. The above is what these times have us doing. We fly out in just over 2 weeks. The Edge May 6th. Needless to say, but these forums certainly ad to the anxiety. Geez….. I remember when the roll calls were fun, now it’s doom and gloom, COVID concerns. Rightfully so too.

• Like 1

It would be so wonderful to have some clarity about all this testing, but I guess that would be in a perfect world. The only thing all of us can count on is change.  Our b2b/TA is not until October, but the confusion will most likely still be prevalent.  I certainly feel your pain, along wih your concern, as you try to navigate testing the waters.  We are flying to Rome with an additional four days before cruise #1.  Our hotel has a testing site for us and hopefully, we have plenty of time to make all of this happen.  By then, I wonder if things will be moving along at a more normal pace, or will we return to even more uncertainty...TBC.

Edited by Lastdance

21 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

It would be so wonderful to have some clarity about all this testing, but I guess that would be in a perfect world. The only thing all of us can count on is change.  Our b2b/TA is not until October, but the confusion will most likely still be prevalent.  I certainly feel your pain, along wih your concern, as you try to navigate testing the waters.  We are flying to Rome with an additional four days before cruise #1.  Our hotel has a testing site for us and hopefully, we have plenty of time to make all of this happen.  By then, I wonder if things will be moving along at a more normal pace, or will we return to even more uncertainty...TBC.

We have almost an exact scenario for our September Reflection B2B cruises.

Will be watching how things progress this spring/summer. Our TA assures us she can arrange for us to test (and receive our results) in Rome the day before our cruise.

FWIW one needs to be flexible today and have travel plans arranged to allow for flight cancellations and delays, Changes in testing requirements and thing generally having disruptions.  For a European cruise would arrive at LEAST 48 hours ahead as requirements could change.  Maybe a PCR test that requires 48 hours.

I’m trying to get my hotel in Italy to schedule my test 1 day prior.  The hotel has requested the necessary appointment for the pharmacy but so far in one week no confirmation. Seems strange. If not completed this week I will change my current flight from the day before to one arriving the morning of my embarkation  at 7:30 am Rome time. Allows for testing before the flight here in US and plenty of time in Italy to make cruise. Not the best but required by this onerous 1 day testing rule.will lose my Rome hotel payment as non refundable. Oh well.

19 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

FWIW one needs to be flexible today and have travel plans arranged to allow for flight cancellations and delays, Changes in testing requirements and thing generally having disruptions.  For a European cruise would arrive at LEAST 48 hours ahead as requirements could change.  Maybe a PCR test that requires 48 hours.

If they require a PCR test and no antigen I cancel. My 8/8 cruise is covered by the CWC as is airfare. As it is the one day rule snd return test has me wavering. 

Princess cruise is testing in Italy at the dock for all, complimentary to relieve all the issues, Celebrity is causing, I might cancel before FP in 3 weeks snd rebook with Princess even though I’m Elite. 

Edited by Virginia100
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

I’m trying to get my hotel in Italy to schedule my test 1 day prior.  The hotel has requested the necessary appointment for the pharmacy but so far in one week no confirmation. Seems strange. If not completed this week I will change my current flight from the day before to one arriving the morning of my embarkation  at 7:30 am Rome time. Allows for testing before the flight here in US and plenty of time in Italy to make cruise. Not the best but required by this onerous 1 day testing rule.will lose my Rome hotel payment as non refundable. Oh well.

If I were doing this, I think I would still fly in a day early.  I would do a proctored antigen test before flying (which I assume is required anyway), and do another proctored antigen test at your hotel in Rome the day before.  For the cost of $33-35 for each proctored test, this would be worth it to me in not having to deal with the anxiety of finding a testing location in Rome.  Now if PCR is required, that would change things.  But with all the flight cancellations and delays recently, I would not want to fly in the day of a cruise starting half way around the world.

Tom & Judy

Edited by TFree
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, TFree said:

If I were doing this, I think I would still fly in a day early.  I would do a proctored antigen test before flying (which I assume is required anyway), and do another proctored antigen test at your hotel in Rome the day before.  For the cost of $33-35 for each proctored test, this would be worth it to me in not having to deal with the anxiety of finding a testing location in Rome.  Now if PCR is required, that would change things.  But with all the flight cancellations and delays recently, I would not want to fly in the day of a cruise starting half way around the world.

Tom & Judy

I see your point but I just do not trust my I phone savvy, internet connection and language  for a proctored test in Italy. No test required to enter Italy now just the ship. I haven’t heard of issues of flights to Rome from  Washington Dulles or Boston. They arrive on embarkation day 7:30 am snd 8:15 am. Port is about an hour away.

9 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

I see your point but I just do not trust my I phone savvy, internet connection and language  for a proctored test in Italy. No test required to enter Italy now just the ship. I haven’t heard of issues of flights to Rome from  Washington Dulles or Boston. They arrive on embarkation day 7:30 am snd 8:15 am. Port is about an hour away.

Just to be clear, I was talking about taking one of the proctored Abbott BinaxNow Ag Card tests with you, assuming you have time before your cruise to order them through the Celebrity link, or directly from Optum Store or Emed.com.  The proctors all speak English (although in some cases with heavy accents).  So there is no language problem.  But anyway, you have to do what you are comfortable with.  I am just saying that I would have far less comfort flying in the same day, as compared to taking a test, in my Italian hotel room, using WiFi.  Good luck!

Tom & Judy

• Like 2

We sail from Rome next month. We were also hoping for a 2 day window so 🤞🏻that they change it. We sail on a Friday so we will test at home Wednesday morning and head to the airport to fly to Rome. If it remains one day we will test immediately upon arriving in Rome on Thursday morning. It will be 15 hours between tests, but 🤷🏻‍♀️. Might not have a choice. We considered…..for about 2 seconds…..flying on Thursday, but that would mean arriving the day we sail and don’t want to take the chance of anything happening with our flight. Guess we will wait and see. We have 3 weeks and there can be multiple changes by then.

With the testing the way it currently is……. I am starting to actually feel better about flying in the same day as cruise. It certainly eliminates some problems.

Our flight is nonstop with a great track record for reliability. 

I envy those of you that can fly in early and adjust to time difference. However, for those of us that still work, we are forced to make choices that we wouldn’t normally make. This won’t be the first time we have done this, but it will be the furthest departure port, while flying in same day.

If we had the time…….. We would just go B2B and board the ship in Fort Lauderdale. Then we could leave our home a half hour before we wanted to arrive at Port Everglades. Too bad that just couldn’t work out.

34 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

We sail from Rome next month. We were also hoping for a 2 day window so 🤞🏻that they change it. We sail on a Friday so we will test at home Wednesday morning and head to the airport to fly to Rome. If it remains one day we will test immediately upon arriving in Rome on Thursday morning. It will be 15 hours between tests, but 🤷🏻‍♀️. Might not have a choice. We considered…..for about 2 seconds…..flying on Thursday, but that would mean arriving the day we sail and don’t want to take the chance of anything happening with our flight. Guess we will wait and see. We have 3 weeks and there can be multiple changes by then.

Where will you test in Italy? Airport or?

I’m jumping in on the bandwagon.  Celebrity’s one day prior testing is causing problems for so many.  We are traveling by train from Orvieto to Citivecchia the day before our cruise. It will be too early in the morning to take the test in Orvieto before the train ride as it will be more than the 24 hours.  We arrive in Civitavecchia later that afternoon so the test will have to be proctored then assuming we have no issues with internet connectivity at our hotel.  Hearing that Princess is testing all passengers at the port at no extra cost makes so much sense for everyone.   I feel Celebrity is doing a great disservice to their passengers.  I would like to contact the powers that be at Celebrity to state my case. Anyone know who the right person to contact is and their contact information.  Perhaps if more of us did this Celebrity might rethink their 24 hour policy.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Susanb10567 said:

Is Italy really the only European country requiring a 1 day test to board. I looked at the other ports and they are 2 days. I find that surprising and wondering if it could of been an error. I really would like to take my boarding test before flying from NYC to Rome. I know things are constantly changing so I guess I will just have to hope and wait.

BTW it’s not an Italian requirement, it’s a requirement of Celebrity. Same for embarkation in Amsterdam etc. 

The countries themselves don’t require testing anymore 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miaminice said:

BTW it’s not an Italian requirement, it’s a requirement of Celebrity. Same for embarkation in Amsterdam etc. 

We always knew goalposts would keep moving but this new requirement for Citivecchia boarding is unrealistic for many especially those on long flights from the USA. Likewise although we are only in the UK, we are travelling to spend a couple of days in Rome, mainly because we had a 'close call' from the same port pre covid when our flight was delayed six hours. We don't travel until June on Reflection but booked and paid for pre departure tests at Heathrow based on the published info, now they will be out of date by the time we board. And it's not beyond possibility that things will change yet again, a constant moving goalpost. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, laslomas said:

I am a little confused by this too. Is it Italy that has made this ruling, or Celebrity?

As you say, to sail from the UK, Spain or Amsterdam there's a two day testing window. I am cruising from Rome on 2nd May and was originally sent an email to say test within 2 days. I booked my test, only for this rule to be changed to 1 day and I have to work out the testing again for the day I travel. I have not yet booked it just in case it gets changed again. It would definitely be better to be able to test before leaving your home country if possible - just in case.

Exactly the same here. We now have a test booked and paid for at London Heathrow airport the day we travel (2 days prior) as it was non refundable so with all the confusion were thinking just have it, and another proctered video antigen test for Sunday whilst in our hotel room (1 day prior). 
Figured this way we are covered for all eventualities 🤣 now, we just have to stay negative… the anxiety is causing loss of sleep!  

3 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Not quite sure about this... the EU Healthy Gateways is recommending a test 1 day prior to embark a cruise ship. This is just a recommendation. So it might be Italy requiring the tests for cruises with that time frame. The countries have to decide whether they follow the Healthy Gateways or which other rules they set up for cruising.

steamboats

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, B x said:

We always knew goalposts would keep moving but this new requirement for Citivecchia boarding is unrealistic for many especially those on long flights from the USA. Likewise although we are only in the UK, we are travelling to spend a couple of days in Rome, mainly because we had a 'close call' from the same port pre covid when our flight was delayed six hours. We don't travel until June on Reflection but booked and paid for pre departure tests at Heathrow based on the published info, now they will be out of date by the time we board. And it's not beyond possibility that things will change yet again, a constant moving goalpost. 

We are in a similar position, flying out a day early in July from the UK to take a test in Citivecchia  before embarking the next day. It is difficult for all parties concerned but common sense has to prevail. 

Seems unfair that people who have gotten all the vaccinations are being penalised. If you haven't had the booster, you can just turn up at the port and be tested without all the stress.

Luckily we fly the afternoon before from the UK. Still a pain, as it means that we have to go and be tested in the morning and then return at lunchtime for the flight.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Miaminice said:

I'm afraid they do for cruise ships. There are special rules governing them.  Here in UK we have absolutely zero Covid regulations but all passengers boarding a cruise ship have to test a minimum of 24 hours before boarding due to these special sailing conditions which are not cruise line controlled.

11 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm afraid they do for cruise ships. There are special rules governing them.  Here in UK we have absolutely zero Covid regulations but all passengers boarding a cruise ship have to test a minimum of 24 hours before boarding due to these special sailing conditions which are not cruise line controlled.

No, in the EU and Italy it is a recommendation - not a legal requirement. So the cruise line decides to follow the recommendation or not. Don´t know about the UK, but the topic is Italy etc.