Italy cruises testing

Susanb10567

43 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Not quite sure about this... the EU Healthy Gateways is recommending a test 1 day prior to embark a cruise ship. This is just a recommendation. So it might be Italy requiring the tests for cruises with that time frame. The countries have to decide whether they follow the Healthy Gateways or which other rules they set up for cruising.

steamboats

I agree. The no test requirements are for flying in or driving in. The EUHG guidelines for cruise ships is different 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

No, in the EU and Italy it is a recommendation - not a legal requirement. So the cruise line decides to follow the recommendation or not. Don´t know about the UK, but the topic is Italy etc.

All ships sailing in European waters sail under the same Directive and unless amended since late March it states testing as a requirement for ships to sail and dock in their ports.

I have been in discussions with two major British cruise lines at CEO level about this for some months, particularly with the previous requirement to offload negative testing contacts.  I have copies of the documents which were given to me by a major European insurer which confirms the fact all cruise lines are following port requirements.

I do not have an issue with requiring a test before boarding the ship. For me it removes some of the anxiety of mixing with more than 1000+ strangers. What I do not understand is why of the European departures, it is only the cruises from Italy specify a test within 1 day.  Does that make it any safer?? 

I check every day on the website as I have seen it change, and who knows if it will again before departure.

When the European departure guidance was first issued it was Spain requiring the 1 day test - well that is now 2. Italy required a test within 2 days -well that is now 1. Who is making these decisions, and will they change again before I cruise in 11 days!!!!

4 minutes ago, laslomas said:

Who is making these decisions, and will they change again before I cruise in 11 days!!!!

According to the CEO of P&O it is individual ports adopting how they apply the rules and the cruise lines receive notification accordingly sometimes at extremely short notice.

As someone spending 3 days in Rome before sailing I've asked for direct information from the actual Italian authorities as well as Celebrity and was told to just accept the testing as indicated by the latter.

Our 'day before' is a Sunday. We were due to arrive in Civitavecchia on Sunday afternoon for the cruise on Monday. My hotel has said pharmacies are not open in Civitavecchia on a Sunday PM and will have to do it on Monday on the day of cruise.

My alternatives are:

To take an Internet supervised test with me and hope that there's no problems with the Internet 

Or, take it a test on arrival at Rome Airport and change my hotel to an airport hotel (more expensive) as won't know when to book my transfer 

Or change our LHR flight to later in the day and take the test in UK  . This will arrive at midnight so again will have to book airport hotel

10 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Our 'day before' is a Sunday. We were due to arrive in Civitavecchia on Sunday afternoon for the cruise on Monday. My hotel has said pharmacies are not open in Civitavecchia on a Sunday PM and will have to do it on Monday on the day of cruise.

My alternatives are:

To take an Internet supervised test with me and hope that there's no problems with the Internet 

Or, take it a test on arrival at Rome Airport and change my hotel to an airport hotel (more expensive) as won't know when to book my transfer 

Or change our LHR flight to later in the day and take the test in UK  . This will arrive at midnight so again will have to book airport hotel

We have been directed to the UK Government site by Celebrity to purchase video tests to take with us.  My hotel in Rome has offered to book us a Friday test at a local testing clinic at the main railway station if we need it.  I also understand you can book tests via some websites such as Firstmed or Doctors in Rome.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sgmn said:

My alternatives are:

We are the same, but we have got Qured video supervised tests booked for the Sunday morning once we are in Rome. (We will do them in Hotel room)

We booked using BATRAVEL20 code for discount. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

My alternatives are:

Same for us.  Tentatively planning to do proctored test in our hotel room.  

• Like 2

I have my hotel in the Rome port contacting a local pharmacy on the Monday of my departure day 8/8, since as noted above the day before is Sunday. The request for appointment  was made  a week ago today but so far no confirmation to the hotel. Is Italy so slow?

12 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

I have my hotel in the Rome port contacting a local pharmacy on the Monday of my departure day 8/8, since as noted above the day before is Sunday. The request for appointment  was made  a week ago today but so far no confirmation to the hotel. Is Italy so slow?

I understand it is good to get everything in place, but so much could happen in the next three months. Hopefully for the better. I am cruising 2nd May, booked a test following the guidelines provided by Celebrity, and they have already changed the requirements, requiring me to book a test a day later. 

Edited by laslomas

If it helps anyone, there is a drive in testing station within the port at Via Tarquinia 30 - Fiumaratta , it's open 8am - 6pm weekdays and 8am - 1pm Sundays. You need to book in advance, if you Google Port of Civitavecchia they have details including an e.mail and phone contact. Not including here as not sure if links are permitted. I have a friend close to Civitavecchia who is making a few calls to check out other options as my Italian is not brill for telephone conversations, will post anything she comes up with.

Can I ask the person who started this thread how far ahead of the cruise the information was sent regarding the change? Just trying to think ahead to June 13th and what might present itself.

Edited by B x
  • Like 1

She's quick! 

Farmacia San Gordiano in Civitavecchia is an accredited covid test facility, open 8am though 1pm and 4pm though 8pm six days a week and Sundays 9.30am through 1pm.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, B x said:

She's quick! 

Farmacia San Gordiano in Civitavecchia is an accredited covid test facility, open 8am though 1pm and 4pm though 8pm six days a week and Sundays 9.30am through 1pm.

Thanks so much B x. We’re on the 13 June Reflection cruise also and spending the night of 12 June in Civitavecchia so your info is of great help. Don’t believe you’re on the roll call?   Not too many people on it at the moment. 

35 minutes ago, B x said:

She's quick! 

Is walk in ok or require an appointment?

9 hours ago, sls28 said:

I’m jumping in on the bandwagon.  Celebrity’s one day prior testing is causing problems for so many.  We are traveling by train from Orvieto to Citivecchia the day before our cruise. It will be too early in the morning to take the test in Orvieto before the train ride as it will be more than the 24 hours.  We arrive in Civitavecchia later that afternoon so the test will have to be proctored then assuming we have no issues with internet connectivity at our hotel.  Hearing that Princess is testing all passengers at the port at no extra cost makes so much sense for everyone.   I feel Celebrity is doing a great disservice to their passengers.  I would like to contact the powers that be at Celebrity to state my case. Anyone know who the right person to contact is and their contact information.  Perhaps if more of us did this Celebrity might rethink their 24 hour policy.

The testing requirement is 1 day prior, not 24 hours. It is a big difference……I would much prefer to test the day before. Those that aren’t “up to date” have to test at the port. I’m glad I’m not in that group. 

9 hours ago, Miaminice said:

BTW it’s not an Italian requirement, it’s a requirement of Celebrity. Same for embarkation in Amsterdam etc. 

The countries themselves don’t require testing anymore 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes, it is an Italy requirement. They don’t require testing to enter the country if vaccine requirements are met, but they do require it to sail.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

Yes, it is an Italy requirement. They don’t require testing to enter the country if vaccine requirements are met, but they do require it to sail.

Nope, it is not a requirement, it´s a recommendation only, the cruise lines adapted the recommendation! 
Regardless... I welcome the guideline. After dropping all the other precautions, i really don´t mind people at least being tested. 

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

Thanks so much B x. We’re on the 13 June Reflection cruise also and spending the night of 12 June in Civitavecchia so your info is of great help. Don’t believe you’re on the roll call?   Not too many people on it at the moment. 

To be honest I don't usually add to roll calls, not sure why. I mailed the pharmacy to see if we could book for the Monday morning, will report back when they reply and if no joy will ask Civitavecchia hotel. Not sure if you've been on Reflection before, this is our third time (re-scheduled three times now on three different ships) but happy as it's a lovely ship and one of our fav itineraries and bonus we managed an aft corner suite.

• Like 1

For the sake of discussion……. If you were to test positive at the end of your cruise, how does the quarantine hotel work? Does the cruise line, local authorities, or YOU, pick the location of hotel? Can somebody give any details of that type of situation? Costs, food, testing, etc? Maybe somebody has first hand experience of this situation?

2 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Nope, it is not a requirement, it´s a recommendation only, the cruise lines adapted the recommendation! 

Nope, the countries did adapt the recommendation. For the Wonder of the Seas which does interporting in Barcelona and Civitavecchia you have the 2 days test rule for embarking in Spain and the 1 day test rule for embarking in Civitavecchia. The cruise lines have to follow the rules of the country.

steamboats

6 hours ago, B x said:

To be honest I don't usually add to roll calls, not sure why. I mailed the pharmacy to see if we could book for the Monday morning, will report back when they reply and if no joy will ask Civitavecchia hotel. Not sure if you've been on Reflection before, this is our third time (re-scheduled three times now on three different ships) but happy as it's a lovely ship and one of our fav itineraries and bonus we managed an aft corner suite.

Really will appreciate it if you could share the info when you hear back from the pharmacy. We have been on the Reflection before and loved it. We’re in an aft Sky suite.  It’ll be our first cruise for 2.5 years as we’ve been locked into Australia since the pandemic began. Have a month in Italy before the cruise. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Virginia100 said:

Anyone try the Covid testing in the departure area at terminal 3 at Fco Rome airport? it says ok for both arrivals and departures as long as you have ticket. Must be before security area.

Not yet, but that's what we are going to do when we get there

The pharmacy has replied and said they will get back to me, I will let you know how that goes, it's Italy so takes time, not much moves quickly there.

Meantime I've returned to the Celebrity web site specifically for Italy, there are two distinct categories dependent on vaccine statues, so you probably need to read to see where you fall. I was eligible for a second booster (fourth jab) earlier this month as I have several autoimmune conditions and defo an "up to date" guest so need the test within a day of embarkation. Here's the link:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/healthy-at-sea/italy-travel-requirements

Edited by B x
  • Thanks 1