Covid

SC LTC

1 minute ago, prmssk said:

Celebrity runs very comparable length of trips and has a ton of B2B cruisers (likely quite similar to Princess).  Even just comparing Princess (with masks) to Celebrity (without masks), I didn't see a noticeable difference in the number or percentage of their ships under investigation throughout the re-start.  

Health protocols are a lot of layers though (many of which we don't even see happening), some of which may be different between the lines which can make it hard to compare and it also means that when a line relaxes one protocol (like masking), it doesn't mean they are relaxing other protocols.    As an example related to different protocols, my vaccine card was scrutinized a whole lot more on my Celebrity cruise (both an electronic upload ahead of time that had to be manually validated and the day of embarkation where it was reviewed by no less than 4 people) compared to my Princess cruise where it was barely glanced at by only one person.  

Maybe my Crown Princess cruise is different, but we had to upload our Vaccine cards and have them verified...

Just now, bmc alabama said:

Maybe my Crown Princess cruise is different, but we had to upload our Vaccine cards and have them verified...

The Medallion app for my February Emerald Princess cruise and my upcoming Caribbean Princess only had/has a spot to mark that you are fully vaccinated - no spot to upload the card and no verification.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, prmssk said:

The Medallion app for my February Emerald Princess cruise and my upcoming Caribbean Princess only had/has a spot to mark that you are fully vaccinated - no spot to upload the card and no verification.

Wonder if it's a Canada thing, although you also have to do this for ArriveCan.

Carnival was using VeriFly, which seemed to work well...

Back when Covid first hit in 2020 (or 2019) everyone was scared sh....less about getting it.    We didn't go anywhere, we didn't open our Amazon pkgs for 48 hours, we didn't see family and friends.   Of course, this was prior treatments, vaccines, etc.

2 years later and the covid variation has mutated/changed and we are looking at Covid differently.  There are vaccines (I know you can still get covid), better treatments and the variation isn't as deadly as the prior strain.

That all being said, I'm curious if anyone knows of anyone that has been seriously ill or died on a cruise ship in the recent months (since restarting)???

I've had covid and I've had norovirus and I'd rather have covid.

I guess my point is, we can't continue to live in fear of this thing and at some point we have to realize that YES, we are going to catch it unless you we in a bubble.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

I'm curious if anyone knows of anyone that has been seriously ill or died on a cruise ship in the recent months (since restarting)???

There was this case from August 2021:  https://www.today.com/news/passenger-dies-covid-19-amid-outbreak-carnival-cruise-ship-t228939

TL,DR:  Carnival ship sailed to Western Caribbean, cruiser tests positive onboard with severe symptoms, offloaded to a hospital in Belize, then flown back to the US for more treatment, ultimately didn't make it.

That's the ONLY COVID-19 death I've heard of that's directly related to a cruise passenger since the restart, and I'd like to think I follow this stuff.  I'm sure there have been some hospitalizations and possibly the odd medevac, but I don't remember any of the details.

Edited by Honolulu Blue

32 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

Back when Covid first hit in 2020 (or 2019) everyone was scared sh....less about getting it.    We didn't go anywhere, we didn't open our Amazon pkgs for 48 hours, we didn't see family and friends.   Of course, this was prior treatments, vaccines, etc.

2 years later and the covid variation has mutated/changed and we are looking at Covid differently.  There are vaccines (I know you can still get covid), better treatments and the variation isn't as deadly as the prior strain.

That all being said, I'm curious if anyone knows of anyone that has been seriously ill or died on a cruise ship in the recent months (since restarting)???

I've had covid and I've had norovirus and I'd rather have covid.

I guess my point is, we can't continue to live in fear of this thing and at some point we have to realize that YES, we are going to catch it unless you we in a bubble.

I don’t think the issue is fear of covid itself rather the consequences of testing positive. As long as boarding is denied, quarantine is required, and testing before boarding a return flight to the US remains in place people have reason to be concerned. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

There was this case from August 2021:  https://www.today.com/news/passenger-dies-covid-19-amid-outbreak-carnival-cruise-ship-t228939

TL,DR:  Carnival ship sailed to Western Caribbean, cruiser tests positive onboard with severe symptoms, offloaded to a hospital in Belize, then flown back to the US for more treatment, ultimately didn't make it.

That's the ONLY COVID-19 death I've heard of that's directly related to a cruise passenger since the restart, and I'd like to think I follow this stuff.  I'm sure there have been some hospitalizations and possibly the odd medevac, but I don't remember any of the details.

I guess this is the point I'm trying to make.    With the amount of passengers that are cruising, that's a random case.    It seems like there are more deaths from heart attacks, people jumping overboard.   One the last 2 cruises I've been on,  a person passed away on both (not covid related).    

2 hours ago, Babr said:

I don’t think the issue is fear of covid itself rather the consequences of testing positive. As long as boarding is denied, quarantine is required, and testing before boarding a return flight to the US remains in place people have reason to be concerned. 

I agree with you on this.....the quarantining is a big issue and the lack of good care (or any care) has been horrible for those that have gone thru it.   That part is completely unexpectable.      To me however, it's like being quarantined with a cold.    Nobody is put in lockdown for 5-10 days with a cold.   Even norovirus only got me locked down for 3 days.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

I agree with you on this.....the quarantining is a big issue and the lack of good care (or any care) has been horrible for those that have gone thru it.   That part is completely unexpectable.      To me however, it's like being quarantined with a cold.    Nobody is put in lockdown for 5-10 days with a cold.   Even norovirus only got me locked down for 3 days.

If you spread the cold to an 80 year old with lung cancer it will not kill them covid might

31 minutes ago, memoak said:

If you spread the cold to an 80 year old with lung cancer it will not kill them covid might

If I was an 80 year old with lung cancer, I wouldn't step foot on a cruise ship, or airplane, or any other crowded event.  I doubt many 80-year-old lung cancer patients would.  Just saying....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Alwaysmorecruising said:

If I was an 80 year old with lung cancer, I wouldn't step foot on a cruise ship, or airplane, or any other crowded event.  I doubt many 80-year-old lung cancer patients would.  Just saying....

Then you don’t live in the real world my wife has beaten lung cancer and Crohns and we travel extensively including 3-5 weeks on cruise ships a year. In fact we will be sailing in 10 days. You can’t stop living but you can live safely 

• Like 10

57 minutes ago, memoak said:

Then you don’t live in the real world my wife has beaten lung cancer and Crohns and we travel extensively including 3-5 weeks on cruise ships a year. In fact we will be sailing in 10 days. You can’t stop living but you can live safely 

I am sorry you and your wife had to go through that, and happy for both of you that she's beaten it.  Not knowing that, I meant no disrespect to you or her.  I did think you meant someone with active cancer.  I'm happy for you that can continue to cruise, if that's what you choose to do.  My apologies for the misunderstanding and I wish you and your wife many happy, healthy years.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Alwaysmorecruising said:

I am sorry you and your wife had to go through that, and happy for both of you that she's beaten it.  Not knowing that, I meant no disrespect to you or her.  I did think you meant someone with active cancer.  I'm happy for you that can continue to cruise, if that's what you choose to do.  My apologies for the misunderstanding and I wish you and your wife many happy, healthy years.

Thank you for your gracious response. I’m not the poster you are responding to, but I appreciate your civility.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, memoak said:

Maybe, maybe not, but perhaps influenza would?   Sometime during the cruise the mask will come off (unless they plan on eating/drinking in the stateroom).    Many, many people have caught covid even though they mask all the time (according to them).

Each person needs to protect themselves and not rely on everyone else to do the protecting for them.   

Nobody wants to stop people from wearing masks if they choose, but no one should make someone wear a mask unless they are sick...Simple Simon

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

Nobody wants to stop people from wearing masks if they choose, but no one should make someone wear a mask unless they are sick...Simple Simon

Ahhh, but that is the issue. Nobody is making covid sick people on a cruise ship wear a mask (who do not report their sickness)

You have read the same reports here on CC about people on cruise ships having people cough all around them without masks. 

I think you or I would wear a mask if we had covid and were among others but, that is voluntary. I think there could be many self-centered people with covid who could care less about giving someone else covid on a ship.

I don't have any answers, and I'm not going to tell someone to act like an adult. It's just such a fluid situation and there are always different sides to a story.

Cheers,

John

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

Ahhh, but that is the issue. Nobody is making covid sick people on a cruise ship wear a mask (who do not report their sickness)

You have read the same reports here on CC about people on cruise ships having people cough all around them without masks. 

I think you or I would wear a mask if we had covid and were among others but, that is voluntary. I think there could be many self-centered people with covid who could care less about giving someone else covid on a ship.

I don't have any answers, and I'm not going to tell someone to act like an adult. It's just such a fluid situation and there are always different sides to a story.

Cheers,

John

Good points

The problem is many humans are selfish and "it's all about me".    Until the cruise line (CDC) decides to not worry about covid and just treat it like a common cold we will all probably debate this forever.

It's appearing more and more people won't report to medical if they have symptoms in fear of being quarantined (especially if it's an inside cabin).   That in itself is another problem.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

It's appearing more and more people won't report to medical if they have symptoms in fear of being quarantined (especially if it's an inside cabin).   That in itself is another problem.

That in itself is a real issue!

Cheers,

John

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

Maybe, maybe not, but perhaps influenza would?   Sometime during the cruise the mask will come off (unless they plan on eating/drinking in the stateroom).    Many, many people have caught covid even though they mask all the time (according to them).

Each person needs to protect themselves and not rely on everyone else to do the protecting for them.   

Lot’s of posters claim to “always “ wear masks .  Simply not possible or true.  See it every day on the ship; posters I know not wearing mask or wearing on chin.  Not helpful.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Lot’s of posters claim to “always “ wear masks .  Simply not possible or true.  See it every day on the ship; posters I know not wearing mask or wearing on chin.  Not helpful.

Or wearing it under their nose (insert eye roll here).

Even though I am at the tail end of Covid my physician still wants me to remain masked when I am in public (when I finally leave home).  I think tomorrow’s the day I drive through In-N-Out. I am really missing midnight room service.  😊🍔🍟

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Or wearing it under their nose (insert eye roll here).

Even though I am at the tail end of Covid my physician still wants me to remain masked when I am in public (when I finally leave home).  I think tomorrow’s the day I drive through In-N-Out. I am really missing midnight room service.  😊🍔🍟

That’s interesting. The senior doctor on the Ruby Princess released my husband from quarantine after six days telling him he no longer had to wear a mask at all in the ship, which was more than 14 days ago. She said he could not  transmit or catch COVID for a few months. 

Of course he fully trusts that Ruby Princess Medical care and can’t wait to fly home without a mask. Freedom, you know!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

That’s interesting. The senior doctor on the Ruby Princess released my husband from quarantine after six days telling him he no longer had to wear a mask at all in the ship, which was more than 14 days ago. She said he could not  transmit or catch COVID for a few months. 

Of course he fully trusts that Ruby Princess Medical care and can’t wait to fly home without a mask. Freedom, you know!

It’s because of my lung history. I had a large portion of my lung removed a few years ago.  My doctor feels that even though I can’t get Covid again for a few months I can still pick up other respiratory infections so she feels that the mask is important for me.  I haven’t had an upper respiratory infection for two years so she feels that the mask is helpful.

How long did the doctor say that your husband would be protected from Covid?  I bet he is excited to fly home without a mask! Happy travels to him!

• Like 2