Distressed cruiser - testing

7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

What a bummer. I hope our local Walgreens continues. What is your next option for testing? RC and Celebrity needs to do away with the pre-cruise testing requirement. At least for us that have been vaccinated and have our booster(s). 

We have never actually been able to score any tests at either Walgreens or CVS.  Had given up a long time ago and have been going to our local walk in Clinic 2 miles from our house.  MedFast.    They are a pain in the butt for registering, their new system is all messed up and they don't take appointments.  But once we get back there for the test, they are efficient and quick and they bill our insurance.  No charge to us.  

My sister, as you know, is a doctor of infectious diseases.  She thinks it's silly that fully vaxxed people should have to get tested as well.  Another issue...that test 48 before...leaves 48 hours you could pick it up afterwards before you board the ship.  Not a 100% there.  Unvaxxed kids are happily tested right before they board.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I tried to book Walgreens.  But they stated they are not doing the drive up tests...or the rapid antigen test at all any longer.  😞 

Are you only looking for rapid antigen tests at Walgreens or are you open to the rapid NAAT tests?  Florida Walgreens off the NAAT rather than Ag last I checked.  Are you only trying one specific Walgreens or will you drive to other stores in your vicinity?  While my closest store does not do the tests, but many other stores within 20 miles do. Similarly while I don’t see Cape Canaveral, I see NAAT tests offered at Walgreens in Cocoa Beach and Merritt Island.

• Like 1

Well, for us, it's on the backburner for now since ours isn't until July. To confirm, we can just get rapid tests from Walmart still, is that correct? The problem I have is the constant changing RULES that vary, including RCL staff that don't know, or, they'll say no, then you phone back and speak to another agent, then they say yes. 

This whole covid testing crap is nothing but a cash cow. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 8:05 AM, Sunshine3601 said:

Is your walgreens offering the rapid Naat test, this is acceptable.   We used them end of March and had results in less than 1 hr.    Or the emed or ihealth kits are another great option.

Once you have results and can do Happy Dance let the fun begin!ting on the ship.  It is going to stress me 

We are doing a Baltic cruise in June--same issue with us.  We are going to London for a day before going to CPH for a day--then getting on the ship.  It is going to stress me out daily with worry about these tests for all 7 of us--husband, myself and 5 kids.

Here in south Florida all kinds of Walgreens do the Rapid NAAT Test. It is such a nothing deal to drive up swab a few times and drive off. An hour later you have the results. I was comfortable boarding my ship knowing my fellow passengers had a negative test.

• Like 3

On 4/23/2022 at 8:01 AM, ace2542 said:

Then you will never cruise again. The testing requirements will never go away. Masks may and might but testing won't.

I am bookmarking this post so that when testing requirements are dropped, I can reply “haha, you were wrong”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/22/2022 at 12:30 PM, britty1 said:

Cruising has always been fun when planning a cruise - not so much anymore. The testing requirement is making getting ready to cruise very stressful. Covid is currently not raging in our area and Walgreens and CVS have stopped doing rapid testing and now are only offering the 48-72 hour PCR tests.  Not going til June so still have time and my back-up will be IHEALTH proctored test.  Was hoping this testing would be discontinued so my anxiety level would turn back to enjoyment. Anyone else no longer having fun.

Maybe RC will change some of their COVID regulations before June.

On 4/22/2022 at 9:30 AM, britty1 said:

Covid is currently not raging in our area and Walgreens and CVS have stopped doing rapid testing and now are only offering the 48-72 hour PCR tests.  

Where in Arizona? If you have an Embry test site near you, the turnaround I've been getting on the PCRs lately have been under 12 hours (usually around 8 hours), even when their official prediction is 48-72 hours. About 12-18 hours for ASU saliva tests, if you have any of those locations near you.

Edited by DukeASUGirl

Okay, I see you are in Tucson. I don't believe Embry is all the way down there, but I would imagine U of A might have public testing available -- ASU does. It's available to the public as part of their research.

Looks like ASU testing is available in Tucson:

• Ellie Towne Community Center – 1660 W. Ruthrauff Road, Tucson 85705
  • 12:00 PM – 6:00 PM
  • Agency code: SALIVATEST

7 hours ago, kidz_rn said:

I am bookmarking this post so that when testing requirements are dropped, I can reply “haha, you were wrong”

So you think they will ever allow a covid infected person to board a cruise ship? Especially given the sad fact that vaccines at least the ones right now don't prevent the transmission from person to person which is a real big shame.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

I don't get.  It's just a test. If you've behaved responsibly, you have nothing to worry about. 

A swab doesn't change the amount of enjoyment one has on a cruise. It's not that deep.

What? Behaving responsibly? 
It’s an airborne virus. Even with masking and vaccination you can still catch it. If you sit on a flight beside someone who is asymptomatic, is the responsible thing to hold your breath for 3 or 4 hours?  

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

So you think they will ever allow a covid infected person to board a cruise ship? Especially given the sad fact that vaccines at least the ones right now don't prevent the transmission from person to person which is a real big shame.

IMO it will become like other pre-cruise health checks. It will become questionnaire based eventually. When it happens is another thing. 

59 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

IMO it will become like other pre-cruise health checks. It will become questionnaire based eventually. When it happens is another thing. 

And they will allow people to lie to board the ship as they lie to board with flu or noro?

10 hours ago, kidz_rn said:

You can go find all of this posts which said masks will be required forever and do that already.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, island lady said:

I tried to book Walgreens.  But they stated they are not doing the drive up tests...or the rapid antigen test at all any longer.  😞 

That's weird. I can get an appt for anytime this afternoon here at our Walgreens for the Rapid NAAT test.  Results in 2 hours

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 8:34 PM, ace2542 said:

Why can you not do the fly/boarding ship test at the same time. We are on NCL flying May 20th and Boarding May 21st. I am virtually certain that we only have to do 1 test on May 19th and flying and boarding are covered in the same test.

Hi, we are flying in 5 days before the land tour part of the cruise so our test results will be out of date.

For me the stress isn't the testing itself but rather a positive result  As many have stated the eMed tests are really easy and we did it for our cruise last Oct and it went fine.  The stress for me this time around is if we test positive.  We have vac'd and boostered but you can't control everything.  Our upcoming cruise is a med cruise out of Italy and the potential of a positive test has me worried.  Last time if I test positive we just stay at home and book a cruise at a later date.  This time being in Italy if someone tests positive not only are we not getting on the cruise now we have to find a place to quarantine and reschedule flights to get back home.  Not a good situation!

• Like 2

Did anyone use a tripod of some sort to hold their phone while doing the proctored test?  Do you need something like that, or can you prop your phone up on something while they wait the 15 minutes for results?  Can anyone show me a pic of how you did that?  I'm probably overthinking this.  

58 minutes ago, koxler said:

Last time if I test positive we just stay at home and book a cruise at a later date. 

Get some and use the free gov't tests a few days out and assume the results will be the same on the official one for the cruise.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Are you only looking for rapid antigen tests at Walgreens or are you open to the rapid NAAT tests?  Florida Walgreens off the NAAT rather than Ag last I checked.  Are you only trying one specific Walgreens or will you drive to other stores in your vicinity?  While my closest store does not do the tests, but many other stores within 20 miles do. Similarly while I don’t see Cape Canaveral, I see NAAT tests offered at Walgreens in Cocoa Beach and Merritt Island.

Walgreens website told me no locations within 100 miles.  I am not driving over 100 for the antigen test.  😬 But thanks anyway.  Will stick to my PITA little walk in clinic I guess.  😞 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Walgreens website told me no locations within 100 miles.  I am not driving over 100 for the antigen test.  😬 But thanks anyway.  Will stick to my PITA little walk in clinic I guess.  😞 

That is true for antigen test; Florida Walgreens don’t seem to do those.  That’s not new.  If you specifically want an antigen test, stick to your walk in clinic or use the proctored tests.  

Walgreens in Florida are doing the rapid NAAT test (IDNow) and people are getting results quickly.  Mine have come within an hour.  The NAAT is more sensitive than the antigen test.  Generally a sensitive test is better, as getting sick on the ship is no fun.  On the other hand , I understand if somebody who has recovered from covid in the last 90 days does not want to take the more sensitive molecular test. 

• Like 3